Description of site

Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do.
And don't jump all over them every time they do or say something you don't agree with
- even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department.
Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently. Romans 14.1: The Message

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433637 - 04/04/11 02:06 PM Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven?
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Loc: A citizen of Heaven
Quote:
Mal.3:8 "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

Can those who are robbing God of tithes and offerings "inherit the kingdom of God" OR ... is it okay to be a thief if you are just robbing from God rather than from man?

Quote:
1 Cor. 6:9-10
"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Here are some thoughts:

Our prophet says that Tithe is the "Test of heavenly fellowship" See EV 251

She also states that Faithfulness in tithe paying is a condition to answered prayers. See COL144

Dishonesty in tithing "is registered in the books of heaven as robbery toward Him." CS 77

In the Church Manual p. 135 Tithe paying is described as a "spiritual exercise in which we should all have a part of. It can't be separated from the message of salvation".

Sponsors
#433779 - 04/05/11 09:01 AM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Gerry Cabalo Offline

Loc: Wilkesboro, NC
If thieves are admitted into heaven, so should idolaters and adulterers, and murderers, etc. etc.

#433802 - 04/05/11 12:37 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Gerry Cabalo]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo
If thieves are admitted into heaven, so should idolaters and adulterers, and murderers, etc. etc.

Praise God Gerry. Yes, we do know that there will be idolaters and adulterers, and/or murderers in Heaven. In fact there already is.

#433839 - 04/05/11 04:29 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Gerry Cabalo Offline

Ex? Or present?

#433842 - 04/05/11 04:32 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Gerry Cabalo]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Ex? Or present?

I doubt there are any present murders in heaven. But there are murderers. However ... once we get to heaven we will be transformed so we don't murder anymore. Praise God. For I would not want to go to heaven and experience what we have on Earth.

#434158 - 04/06/11 09:57 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Musicman1228 Offline

Loc: CA
Do any of you know the purpose for tithe as designed by God in the Old Testament? Today the church (SDA and otherwise) uses the concept of 'tithe' to extort money from the masses of believers as a means of command and control, and as a means of wielding power. No one goes beyond the texts cited above because they support this extortion, when they do not mean what it is said they mean.

If you do even a little research on this you will discover that the real purpose of tithe was to celebrate before the Lord. Secondary to that was taking care of the needy and supplying the priesthood with what they needed to work in the Temple.

As with other things Jesus put an end to tithing when He died on the cross.

#434292 - 04/07/11 05:17 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Musicman1228]
Gerry Cabalo Offline

Pray tell, how are those spreading the gospel supposed to live?
No one is twisting my arm to return the tithe.

Edited by Gerry Cabalo (04/07/11 05:17 PM)

#434383 - 04/07/11 11:10 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Musicman1228]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Quote:
Today the church (SDA and otherwise) uses the concept of 'tithe' to extort money from the masses of believers

If someone doesn't want to show their ownership to God and that God is the owner of all we have ... then I would have to question their relationship.

The symbolism is out of this world. No extortion needed. Just a love for God.

#434398 - 04/07/11 11:37 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Gerry Cabalo]
Dr. Rich Offline
RIP Dr Rich, you are missed

Loc: California
Ya Gerry, pray tell how William Miller and his group ever got the time and money to spread the news and get a group together as found in 1844? Huh?

Wasn't it Uriah Smith who said that when 'we' have to pay people to study and hear the truth of the gospel, then that is when it will become a business and will cease to become what God wishes as every man and woman are the priests. Jesus NEVER came to set up any church and establish a paid position as a pastor. Each of the disciples were to teach others and pass along this message of the Kingdom of Heaven. As such, they still needed their jobs as fishermen.

Are not we to trust in God and not in man?

#434402 - 04/07/11 11:44 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Sonny Offline

Originally Posted By: Woody
Mal.3:8 "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

Read the rest! "you are cursed with a curse". That's old covenant. Compare Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

Tithing is not a condition of heaven. If it is heaven is for sale and so is salvation. Having said that, it makes since to support the church you attend.

Edited by Sonny (04/07/11 11:44 PM)

#434404 - 04/07/11 11:47 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Sonny]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Originally Posted By: Sonny

Read the rest! "you are cursed with a curse". That's old covenant. Compare Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

Tithing is not a condition of heaven. If it is heaven is for sale and so is salvation. Having said that, it makes since to support the church you attend.

Nothing's for sale. Believe me ... more people will be saved who DON'T pay tithe compared to those that DO. (At least according to Woody's prognistication.) Paying Tithe does not get you closer to heaven in any way. But those going to heaven ... often times do pay tithe. And for good reason.

#434468 - 04/08/11 09:36 AM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Dr. Rich]
Gerry Cabalo Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr. Rich
Ya Gerry, pray tell how William Miller and his group ever got the time and money to spread the news and get a group together as found in 1844? Huh?

And how were the priests supported in OT times?

ESV | Ac 6:2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables.

ESV | Dt 25:4 “You shall not muzzle an ox when it is treading out the grain.

Edited by Gerry Cabalo (04/08/11 09:37 AM)

#434469 - 04/08/11 09:48 AM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Sonny]
Gerry Cabalo Offline

Originally Posted By: Sonny

Tithing does not save, but stealing will certainly keep the thief out of heaven.

The practice of tithing came loooonnnnnggg before the Law.

"With their lips they show much love, but their pocketbooks are far from me." Paraphrase.

#434496 - 04/08/11 11:27 AM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Gerry Cabalo]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Quote:
The practice of tithing came loooonnnnnggg before the Law.

I was not aware that the angels paid tithe. But then I haven't read that they did't. thinking

#434506 - 04/08/11 12:03 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
pkrause Offline

Loc: Deltona, FL
I was not aware that the angels paid tithe. But then I haven't read that they did't. thinking

LOL Woody, but I believe he's talking about the time of Abraham!

Romans 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in that the Messiah died on our behalf while we were still sinners.

#434510 - 04/08/11 12:14 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: pkrause]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Originally Posted By: pkrause

LOL Woody, but I believe he's talking about the time of Abraham!

Yes. But the law of God was before Abraham. It was in heaven first.

#434516 - 04/08/11 12:24 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
pkrause Offline

Loc: Deltona, FL
Yes. But the law of God was before Abraham. It was in heaven first.

Not sure what Gerry meant about the law. I meant that Abraham after rescuing Lot, I believe, he paid a tithe to the high priest of Salem. Not sure if that was the first time tithe had been paid or not? But that's what I was thinking.

Edited by pkrause (04/08/11 12:38 PM)

Romans 5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in that the Messiah died on our behalf while we were still sinners.

#434520 - 04/08/11 12:32 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: pkrause]
Gerry Cabalo Offline

The law given at Sinai. The Covenant that became "Old Covenant" was also given at that time.

#434521 - 04/08/11 12:35 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

The angels had the law prior to Sinai. So did humans. It was just because of the stupidity of the peoples that God had to give it in written form.

Edited by Woody (04/08/11 12:50 PM)

#434650 - 04/08/11 07:43 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Musicman1228]
Overaged Offline
Born Twice

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Musicman1228

As with other things Jesus put an end to tithing when He died on the cross.
Jesus did not put an end to "tithe" when He died on the cross. Show one Bible text that supports that please!

Maybe if we take your idea all the way; we could just give testimony to the world that we tithe so we can afford to buy more of these:

Attachments
cookies.jpg

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm
should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath
But this I know: God watches all my path
And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged
Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

#434653 - 04/08/11 07:49 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Overaged]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Yum Yum Overaged.

#434664 - 04/08/11 08:25 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Tallmark Offline
I have already made 100 posts

Loc: Orlando, FL
We get to heaven by believing in Jesus (John 3:16) not by tithe paying, Sabbath keeping, vegetarianism or any other "act" or self-works.

#434667 - 04/08/11 08:31 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Tallmark]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Originally Posted By: Tallmark
We get to heaven by believing in Jesus (John 3:16) not by tithe paying, Sabbath keeping, vegetarianism or any other "act" or self-works.

Amen Tallmark.

#434706 - 04/08/11 10:26 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
LifeHiscost Offline

Loc: Western United States
Ex? Or present?

I doubt there are any present murders in heaven. But there are murderers. However ... once we get to heaven we will be transformed so we don't murder anymore. Praise God. For I would not want to go to heaven and experience what we have on Earth.

Can one enter heaven without tithing? Hmmmm thinking That's something like asking can we stay married without providing food for our spouse? Perhaps possible but very problematic.

"For I am jealous for you with the jealousy of God himself. I promised you as a pure bride to one husband—Christ. "2 Corinthians 11:2 NLT

As to are there murderers or adulterers in heaven? Decidedly not, if one accepts God's Word as reliable. And to tell you the truth, whether you believe His Word or not.

"Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come!"
2 Corinthians 5:17 AMP brackets parenthesis their's LHC

There will be no "old man of sin" to contend with, in heaven or the earth made new!

God blesses! peace

#434709 - 04/08/11 10:37 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
LifeHiscost Offline

Loc: Western United States

The symbolism is out of this world. No extortion needed. Just a love for God.

Good show, Woody. It's one of those principles of the Kingdom revealed by the Holy Spirit only to those who work for God out of a love for Him.

"Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."Matthew 10:8 NKJV

God blesses! peace

#434710 - 04/08/11 10:38 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Tallmark]
John317 Offline

Loc: near Loma Linda,CA

What do you mean by believing in Jesus? Do you mean all we have to do is believe that Jesus existed?

What does it mean to believe in Jesus?

How does John 3: 3 figure in?

John 3:3
Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

#434712 - 04/08/11 10:45 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
John317 Offline

Loc: near Loma Linda,CA

Praise God Gerry. Yes, we do know that there will be idolaters and adulterers, and/or murderers in Heaven. In fact there already is.

The important difference is that whoever is in heaven (whether Moses or anyone else) was a repentent, ex-murderer long before they were transplanted to heaven.

It's like Paul says in 1 Cor. 6: 9-11:

1 Cor. 6:9-11
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, [10] nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

#434733 - 04/08/11 11:51 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Tallmark]
Overaged Offline
Born Twice

Our "belief" does not save us; but our Savior saves us. (John 1:29)

Attachments
logo_phpBB.gif

And I can trust"

#434734 - 04/08/11 11:52 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: John317]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Quote:
The important difference is that whoever is in heaven (whether Moses or anyone else) was a repentent, ex-murderer long before they were transplanted to heaven.

It's like Paul says in 1 Cor. 6: 9-11:

1 Cor. 6:9-11
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, [10] nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

How 'ex must an 'ex be? Of course we know that even an 'ex would not be well accepted in our churches. Even David who was an 'ex and a man after God's heart ... was a repeat murderer after being a man after God's own heart.

#434736 - 04/08/11 11:55 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Overaged]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Originally Posted By: Overaged
Our "belief" does not save us; but our Savior saves us. (John 1:29)

Are you saying that ALL are saved? Kinda sounds like it. If our belief is not important in the saving process ... then all must be saved. Am I reading you wrong?

#434737 - 04/09/11 12:03 AM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Overaged Offline
Born Twice

quote=Overaged]
We get to heaven by believing in Jesus (John 3:16) not by tithe paying, Sabbath keeping, vegetarianism or any other "act" or self-works. /quote]Our "belief" does not save us; but our Savior saves us. (John 1:29)

Are you saying that ALL are saved? Kinda sounds like it. If our belief is not important in the saving process ... then all must be saved. Am I reading you wrong?
Either you are reading me wrong or I am not saying it right - I dunno. But what I mean is that If someone is saved; it would be by Jesus; and not because of belief. Which is our Savior? Jesus, or belief?

Belief has too many different meanings and nuances; and Jesus has only one way of salvation. It's called Calvary.

And I can trust"

#434738 - 04/09/11 12:05 AM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Overaged]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Okay. I think I understand better. There are all kinds of belief. But we just have the belief in Jesus as our Savior. We are called to believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and we will be saved. Isn't that clear? For without faith it is impossible to please Him.

#434830 - 04/09/11 01:53 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Haldog Offline
100% Saved by His Grace
I have already made 100 posts

Loc: Kansas
There is no instruction whatsoever to the Church for us to pay tithe. It is an Old Covenent commandment to Israel.
"You may not agree with everyone. But if you are an honest man, when someone says something you disagree with it’ll drive you to the Word. If you find out that you were wrong and change your thinking then you are the better for it. If you go to the Word and find out that you were right then you have been strengthened. But either way always go to the Word!!” Billye Brim

#434831 - 04/09/11 01:57 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Haldog]
Woody Online   th_yap2
Swiss n Swedish American

Originally Posted By: Haldog
There is no instruction whatsoever to the Church for us to pay tithe. It is an Old Covenent commandment to Israel.

Aside whether there is or isn't ... IS IT NOT a great idea? What do you have against it. For it is SO beautiful.

#434852 - 04/09/11 02:46 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Haldog]
Overaged Offline
Born Twice

Was it actually a "commandment?" And was it actually a "covenant?" (Old or New?) What scriptures would you use to prove your point?

And I can trust"

#434865 - 04/09/11 03:46 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Woody]
Stan Jensen Offline
Very Adventist

Loc: Adventistan
My experience is this

Those who pay tithe usually have a stable Christian experience as well as stability in other areas in life, family, finance and other foundations.

Those who don't usually have a yo-yo kind of Christian experience etc etc.

Others may have had different experiences.
The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

#434868 - 04/09/11 04:08 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Haldog]
Gerry Cabalo Offline

Are not the two greatest commandments also "old covenant"?

#434878 - 04/09/11 04:25 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Gerry Cabalo]
RLH Offline
Mr. Murphy's daddy

Loc: North Carolina

Are not the two greatest commandments also "old covenant"?

Exactly!

#434880 - 04/09/11 04:29 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Stan Jensen]
RLH Offline
Mr. Murphy's daddy

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen
My experience is this

Those who pay tithe usually have a stable Christian experience as well as stability in other areas in life, family, finance and other foundations.

That's been my experience also.

#434910 - 04/09/11 05:35 PM Re: Do you have to pay tithe to get to heaven? [Re: Stan Jensen]
fccool Offline

Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen
My experience is this

LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Random Ads

Support our Sponsors

OUR AMAZON STORES

Shout Box

Support our Sponsors
Featured Member
Random visitors over the past few minutes
Amazon Store
Top Posters
pkrause 57746
dgrimm60 54986
John317 33718
Woody 32148
Gail 29690
Shane 26567
Robert 23638
RLH 22239
Amelia 20635
Neil D 18264
Bravus 15520
Gerry Cabalo 15412
bonnie 12632
Naomi 11759
olger 11618
LifeHiscost 10823
Gregory Matthews 9859
rudywoofs 9348
news 8614
teresaq(sda) 8421
Nan 8270
skyblue888 7452
CoAspen 7054
Tom Wetmore 6922
BobRyan 6678
Please help out with the expenses. Only takes a minute.
Newest Members
Mark Andrews, ladysda, ThomasW, .?!, Luz Ivone
5472 Registered Users
Forum Stats
5472 Members
96 Forums
52223 Topics
629336 Posts

Max Online: 4163 @ 03/31/12 01:09 PM
INTERnational Christian Education & Relief Society
(Views)Popular Topics
The Law 10181206
Weekly Bible trivia quiz! 7276830
Word of the Day 5019671
2012-13 NBA Season 3967856
Daily Bible Trivial facts 3960911
Today in Jewish History 3919105
Daily Lift by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin 3840703
Today's Bible Reading 3710259
WHAT IS RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH? 3627636
Lily Pads, by John 317 3403295
Top Posters (30 Days)
pkrause 629
dgrimm60 458
Gregory Matthews 146
Gail 118
bonnie 115
rudywoofs 111
LifeHiscost 86
Sojourner 72
debbym 65
JoeMo 64
Samie 56
Naomi 50
8thdaypriest 47
Kevin H 41
CoAspen 40
Aliensanctuary 40
Suzanne Sutton 37
Bravus 36
Stan Jensen 33
genesis7 28
lazarus 27
Nan 26
Tom Wetmore 24
Woody 22
LynnDel 22
Adventist Dating
More sponsors
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays

ClubAdventist, is a division of the Kingdom of Adventistan,
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland or any of its subsidiaries.
Copyright © 1999 - 2014 ClubAdventist