ClubAdventist is back!

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 04/19/2023 in Posts

1. Gregory Matthews

Husband In Charge

Question: What does it mean when the husband states that he will make all of the decisions? Answer #1: Well in our marriage I would point out “no dear, I will decide what divorce lawyer I hire to dump you.” Answer #2: I did know a woman whose husband said that and she said OK. she then did nothing. He wanted dinner he decides what it is and cooks it. She badgered him with questions constantly even calling him at work to ask. “What time should I take a shower” then calling back to ask “what soap should I use” then calling back to ask if she should shampoo her hair then it was what towel, the blue one or the green one. The moment he hit the door she was asking “should I sweep the kitchen?” “what are you going to buy for dinner” “what soap for the dishwasher” “ when should I clean the toilet,” She spent most of the day compiling decisions for him to make. After a week of making all the decisions he crawled down from his idiocy and literally begged her to make most of the decisions he really didn’t want her calling him at work during a meeting to ask if their daughters hair should be braided or not or if their son should wear his sandals or closed shoes. I think the final straw was when she called his office during the lunch hour and left a message with the receptionist saying she started her period should she use a pad or a tampon. The receptionist put it up on the message board open and almost everyone in the office got a peek and teased him about it. Thanks to Quora and Angela Birch for the above question and answer. 6
    3 points
  2. Gregory Matthews

Sister Bertken

Sister Bertken was a devout Roman Catholic, born in 1457. The following article suggests that her life has something to contribute to us today. https://atoday.org/the-two-windows-of-sister-bertken/
    3 points
  3. Gregory Matthews

The People of God

The People of God: In the following article, Loren Seibold challenges us to think beyond what he calls the norms. https://atoday.org/gods-many-many-people/
    3 points
  4. Gregory Matthews

Sabbath Potlucks:

Gustave: That is why I made my post telling all that it was a joke. I realized that some might not understand.
    3 points
  5. Theophilus

Alexey Navalny

Surprised he lived this long.
    3 points
  6. Gregory Matthews

The "last supper" was NOT a Passover Seder.

Rachell, the various denominations are divided as to the nature of the bread that Christ used for the Last Supper. * I note that in one post you say: " I told you that "artos" is unleavened." and is a second post, you say: "Artos" is WITH leaven>" I assume that one is a typo. However, let us look at the actual definition of the Greek words. * Artos is the common bread of a family meal. It is considered by many scholars to always be leavened bread. Thiis word tells us that Christ celebrated the Passover with the common bread served at a family meal. * Azumos is a term that references unleavened bread. https://www.onthewing.org/user/BS_Last Supper - Unleavened Bread.pdf#:~:text=The Greek for what we read as "unleavened,and not on bread%2C e.g.%2C I Corinthians 5%3A8. Rachel, I do not know where you got your definitions of the Greek words. But, I will tell you: Never use either Strong or Young to define the meaning of a Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek Biblical word. They are used to tell us how such a word has been translated, which is quite different from telling us what that word means. For the Greek, your best source of the Greek is the so-called Arndt & Gingrich. Always use a lexicon.
    3 points
  7. Wow. I never thought about that. The way you expressed it is an eye opener. All of the Dispensationalists I have read on forums are elated that they will not have to pass through any tribulation.
    3 points
  8. Gregory Matthews

Bald Males

Consider: As I followed up on a reference to a SDA leader, I noted that he had a nicely trimmed beard, cut to a short length. As I reflected on this, I realized that he was also bald. I wondered if there is any relationship between bald males who also like to demonstrate that they are able to grow facial hair?
    3 points
  9. Hanseng

Hans Diehl, DrHSc, MPH, FACN

Dr. Diehl did more to improve the lot of the sick and suffering in his 77 years than most people would do in several lifetimes. It's not always the length of life that matters. Quality is important!
    3 points
  10. Gustave

Ellen White & Eastern Orthodoxy

Thanks for that Kevin! Based on your comments I re-read Life Sketches where those quotes came from and then re-read LOCRP-01. I've got some other files in a folder I put together some years ago I also need to read. I'll definitely respond again but not until I review what you've said against the materials I've collected.
    3 points
  11. Gregory Matthews

Guinea Worm Disease

Guinea Worm Disease is a tropical disease caused by drinking unfiltered water in Africa. In 1986 3,500.000 people were affected by it. In 2022, a total of 13 people in the entire world are known to have been affected by it. This is due to the work of organizations such as The Carter Center, and others. For more information see: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/guineaworm/index.html NOTE: Currently The Carter Center is working on River Blindness.
    3 points
  12. Gregory Matthews

Does Scripture Condone Female Leadership in the Church?

Yes, perhaps, but a problem is that Ellen G. White was a female leader in the SDA denomination. One can debate whether or not she was ordained. But, it is unlikely that any informed person would argue that she was neither female nor a leader in this denomination. Some might say that she never held an elected office. But, it is clear that she was given, the same credentials, over a period of several years, that we give SDA pastors. If we consider SDA male clergy to be SDA leaders we must consider EGW to be a SDA female leader.
    3 points
  13. Hanseng

Bag with occult symbols in daughter’s possession

Don't know much about parenting but I guess you are going to have a major problem with your daughter if you sneak into her room and remove her property. OTOH, it is your house. You can ask your daughter to take her bag with her and move out or get rid of it if she wants to stay. Or you could change your own mind and develop a closer relationship with your daughter. This is a matter of conscience for you but not for her. I doubt she is a satanist or will become one because of a pentagram. Matters of conscience are important ones, however. You need to realize the problem is not with the symbols but with your conscience. While I respect your disdain, even fear, of things related to the enemy of mankind it is you who are giving those things the power to interrupt your family's harmony. Intrinsically, they are nothing, as Paul said, "An idol is nothing in this world." They have no power, vibration, energy. They are nothing, unless you make them into something.
    3 points
  14. Gregory Matthews

Leroy Leiske

Leroy Leiske died in 2016, But he should not be forgotten as a SDA leader who helped make the SDA denomination what it is today. See: https://adventistreview.org/news/leiske-remembrance/
    3 points
  15. Gregory Matthews

Doctrine, & SDA History

Gustave: The Seventh-day Adventist Church has always had a greater diversity of belief and practice than many people have realized. In part this is due to our general belief that the Christian life is a life of growth and therefore, SDA congregations should be a place where followers of Christ can come and experience the individual growth that the Holy Spirit brings. That growth is individualized and we are not to be expected to be in the same position at the same time. However, the reality that we are now a denomination of more than 21-million members plus many more who may attend but have not yet decided to formally join has resulted in major changes that have reduced the power of the North American Adventists. Africa now has considerable influence over the selection of the General Conference President. Some today believe that the current GC President owes his election to Africa, and the next election for the GC President will ultimately be decided by Africa. Australia is becoming more influential in doctrinal matters, as North America is losing influence. Individual theologians from Europe are gaining in influence. Current SDA leadership in North America, seemingly fearful of a loss of power, is struggling to tighten their power over the various organizational levels and departments that exist within the SDA Church, both in North America and in the world at large. This was clearly evident at a recent set of Spring meetings of SDA officials. Some predict that such will ultimately result in a large split in the SDA Church, at least on the local level, if not the international level. I do not agree with this. However, it is thought that there are SDA leaders who would welcome such as something that is needed prior to the 2nd Advent of Christ. I do not welcome such, as I believe that the Holy Spirit would not lead in that direction. In my personal opinion, I believe that the Holy Spirit is expecting the Seventh-day Adventist Church of today to experience further growth in faith, understanding and practice. While based upon the leading of God in the past, we must grow beyond that foundation to experience what God would want of us today. I do not attempt to predict either how or where God will lead in the future. I am confident that God will lead beyond what I can imagine.
    2 points
  16. Gregory Matthews

Trying to understand the SDA position on their Creed or lack thereof?

I should possibly talk about a creed later. For now, I will mention EGW. A person who joins the SDA Church is asked to believe in the "gift of prophecy," as defined in the Bible, in the chapter on spiritual gifts. Most people associate that spiritual gift with Ellen White. However, the individual is not required, according to our official requirements, to believe that Ellen White had that spiritual gift. Today, there are SDAs who do not beleive that EGW had that gift and many of them remain members of the SDA Church. Some chose to leave the SDA Church.
    2 points
  17. Gregory Matthews

Adventist Today Issues

Adventist Today Magazine is available on the Internet, and may be accessed at: https://atoday.org/magazine-archives/
    2 points
  18. Gregory Matthews

Major Changes at PUC

Major Changes at Pacific Union College: An official video has been released at PUC, that has announced major changes to take place in student life. One change stated that all PUC students would be required to wear a common uniform. Another change announced that the restaurant chain Chick-Fil-A was planning to establish a restaurant on campus that would replace the chicken with Fri-chick, resulting in a name for the restaurant of Fri-Chick-Fil-A. That video has resulted in major questions from alumni. See: https://atoday.org/april-fools-day-video-causes-stir-among-pacific-union-college-students/
    2 points
  19. news

Identifying Michael as Jesus Christ

Identifying Michael as Jesus Christ is widely supported by reference to 1 Thessalonians 4:16. Paul there associates the Second Coming of Jesus with the voice of the archangel. The word archangel (Greek: archangelos, archangelou) appears only two times in the New Testament. In Jude 9 the archangel is named Michael, in 1 Thessalonians, the archangel […] The post Identifying Michael as Jesus Christ appeared first on Jon Paulien's Blog. View the full article
    2 points
  20. Gregory Matthews

Oregon Conference

The Oregon Conference has been in the news recently in regard to financial issues which are resulting in major cuts in programs and staff. Their President is to be commended for his openness in addressing this issue in the following letter. To what extent are the issues mentioned in that letter symptomatic of issues that must be addressed by other Conferences in North America? https://www.oregonadventist.org/news/an-open-letter-to-the-oc-family-from-dan-linrud-oregon-conference-president Comments on the above letter may be reviewed at: https://www.facebook.com/AToday.org/posts/pfbid0w1UNp2EVUtfhfcnEz2bJVdXyTacHb4E2xKYAb1ttroXyycKf7msLTkyLNu9c7dw3l
    2 points
  21. Gregory Matthews

You & VA Health Care

This is a major expansion of VA health care, and does not require application for disability benefits. * I believe that there may be some benefits due to non-military family members who lived in military housing at several places. * Each county in the U.S. may have a VA benefit officer who will be able to assist you free of charge in determining whether or not you are eligible for sthese, and other, benefits. * In addition, there are a number Veterans Service organizations who will also assist you free of charge. As I have more information, will post it.
    2 points
  22. Gustave

Sabbath Potlucks:

LOL! I was tempted to comment on this post yesterday thinking that it was a joke but thought what if it wasn't.... 🤣 A bad burnt offering lol! I get it.
    2 points
  23. Gregory Matthews

Talk to the Dead

On page 234. of the 2022 book on EGW and the Historians, it mentions EGW dreaming of talking to her dead husband.
    2 points
  24. Gregory Matthews

Christian Nationalism

Christian Nationalism: The following article should raise issues that will challenge our thinking. https://atoday.org/religious-liberty-only-for-some/
    2 points
  25. Kevin H

Trixie

There are parts of that show that no matter how often you have seen it, just the thought of what's coming up still generates a laugh. Lines such as " Who wrote Swanee River?" Or "'Cause she's a blabber mouth!!!" few other presentations can make the punch line last decades. I think it was channel 11 in New York City, had until recently played the Honeymooners after the 11pm news; causing New Yorkers to never have said "Oh, here's an episode of the Honeymooners I've never seen before." Nor has any New Yorker ever said "Iet's check out what else in on, I've already seen this episode of the honeymooners."
    2 points
  26. Gregory Matthews

Inter Church Relations

As a congregational pastor in the Potomac Conference, I would visit other Sunday-keeping congregations because I wanted to become better acquainted with the local pastors and their worship. On an occasional basis that resulted in my being asked to preach to their congregation on Sunday, and I would respond by asking their pastor to preach in my congregation on Saturday. NOTE: As an Army Chaplain, I have been asked to preach to a local Sunday congregation and in my sermon to explain to that congregation what SDAs believed and practiced.
    2 points
  27. Gregory Matthews

Faith & Politics

Faith & Politics is a regular, 30-minute program that is broadcast on the SDA Hope TV. In each program, a moderator and 4-experts discuss issues related to how governmental rules may impact on religious expression. The people expressing their views come from a variety of backgrounds and often include people who are not SDA members. I like the program. In common with the typical practice of Hope TV, schedules and subjects of discussion are not published in a form that is available to the general public.
    2 points
  28. Gregory Matthews

Adventism in Europe

Adventism in Europe: The following article suggests that Adventism in Europe differs from Adventism elsewhere and what this may mean. NOTE: In Germany, SDA military members are not welcome to worship in German SDA congregations--GM. https://spectrummagazine.org/views/is-there-a-european-adventism-ecclesiological-holzwege-i/
    2 points
  29. Gregory Matthews

8-Books

Spectrum magazine recommends 8-books for thoughtful reading by Adventists who are personally involved with the mission and ministry of the SDA Chruch. For those books, see: https://spectrummagazine.org/culture/eight-great-books-we-reviewed-in-2023/
    2 points
  30. Gregory Matthews

Prayer

The following article on the role and function of prayer is well worth reading. https://atoday.org/aunty-is-god-more-likely-to-answer-prayers-when-many-people-are-praying-for-the-same-thing/
    2 points
  31. Gregory Matthews

SDA Church in Crisis

My position is that EGW taught that her writings were subject to the authority of the Bible, as Protestants commonly understand it to be. In other words, she taught that if the Bible contradicted what she had written, the Bible was to rule. Unfortunately, some Adventists present themselves as believing that her writings had the authority to explain the Bible. In other words, the Bible was subject to her understanding. In some cases, that is more than a mere presentation. It is an actual belief. Gustave is correct. Adventists sometimes present themselves as being quite like Catholics. Sometimes that is true. The position of some SDAs as to the authority of the General Conference, meeting in session, is quite similar to the Catholic position on the College of Bishops, when it meets in magisterium. NOTE: If I have the title wrong, Gustave may correct me.
    2 points
  32. Gregory Matthews

Michael Czechowski

Michael Czechowski is an often little known, but important figure in SDA history. For a brief telling of his story, see: https://adventistreview.org/magazine-article/michael-czechowski/
    2 points
  33. Gregory Matthews

The Authority of Ellen White?

I checked and Norton no longer considers your website to be dangerous. Good work on your part.
    2 points
  34. Dr. Shane

Abortion

I feel very comfortable with the official Seventh-day Adventist position on abortion. I also feel very comfortable distinguishing between my religious beliefs and my political beliefs. Some think my religious beliefs contradict my political beliefs but I feel comfortable with both and feel I am being consistent. Statement on the Biblical View of Unborn Life and Its Implications for Abortion
    2 points
  35. Dr. Shane

The Authority of Ellen White?

I can post the article here. The website is safe, although apparently there may be a link to an infected website. My antivirus software doesn't flag it on my PC or my phone. Nonetheless, those that want to read the article but don't want to visit the site until Bluehost finishes their scan can read the page I linked to below. Ellen White is one of the founders of the Seventh-day Adventist church. To be clear, there were several founders. Joseph Bates brought the seventh-day Sabbath light to the group. James White (Ellen’s husband) started the first publishing house. John Andrews was the first church president and first overseas missionary. Uriah Smith was the first church secretary and editor of the church’s periodical. Seventh-day Adventists believe Ellen White received the gift of prophecy in a Biblical sense. They believe that God spoke to her directly through visions and dreams and indirectly by sending angels. These visions and dreams can be compared to those believed to be received by St. Patrick. St. Patrick is believed to have had many visions or dreams from God and the conversion of Ireland was certainly miraculous. There were supernatural signs that indicated White’s gift couldn’t have been fabricated. She often went into vision in public, would stop breathing and be unaware of her surroundings. She was examined by medical doctors and skeptics on multiple occasions while in vision and found to have a pulse but not be breathing. Some visions lasted as long as thirty minutes. She was also spared in a train derailment. When a train she was traveling on derailed, her car became disconnected and stayed on the rails. The pin for her car was found neatly removed and laid upon the hitch – as if done by an angel to prevent her railcar from derailing with the rest of the train. Adventists are not in total agreement on how to use White’s writings. They do all agree that her writings do not supersede the Bible. Many use her writings as an inspired Bible commentary. In doing so, they use her writings to interpret the Bible. Others do not agree with that practice. Some believe everything she wrote was inspired by the Holy Spirit. Others believe only when she says “I was shown…” “The Lord told me…” or similar phrases is when she is baring direct testimony from God. Outside of that, she is expressing her personal beliefs and convictions. This disagreement dates all the way back to the beginning of the church. Uriah Smith was one of the founders of the church and one that believed that only what White was shown in vision or dream was to be considered a “testimony” from God. Ironically, modern-day critics of White use a dispute between Smith and White to discredit her (although most do not realize it). Critics often use the following quote from White, which she wrote in a letter to Smith. Most critics are probably not aware of the context. Yet now when I send you a testimony of warning and reproof, many of you declare it to be merely the opinion of Sister White. You have thereby insulted the Spirit of God. You know how the Lord has manifested Himself through the spirit of prophecy. (5T64) The context of this letter tells a lot about the gift of prophecy she is believed to have had. Critics want take the position that in this quote, White is setting herself to be equal with God. Therefore, if you disagree with her opinion, you have insulted the spirit of God. Upon examination, we see that her claim is the role of a messenger and not everything she wrote and spoke was directly from God. The church at Battle Creek, Michigan had a college. The college was focusing more on academics and not on training Bible workers and pastors. White’s letter stated that many parents would stop sending their children to the college if it did not train them for the Bible work of spreading the gospel. She also stated the college needed to teach trades of manual labor and agriculture. From reading the letter, it seems the college was focusing more on academics like math and science and not on religion and vocational skills. When Smith received the letter, he read it as White’s opinion and dismissed it. Even though he believed she had the gift of prophecy. In the quote below, he explains his action to her. The ground of my hesitancy to regard that part of your communication referring to the special school trouble as a “testimony” was the fact that I had always supposed that a testimony was based on a vision, and I did not understand that you had had any vision since the recent trouble in the college commenced; hence I did not see how there could be any “testimony,” in the common acceptation of that term, concerning these special matters. At the same time I said that if you should claim that it was a testimony, I would accept the situation; and so I do. (3BIO 196.3) So basically, Smith says he was unware that God had given White a vision about the matters of the college. Therefore, he considered her letter to be simply her opinion. White not only wrote back, she went to the publishing house and published a pamphlet on the matter. She clarifies that the direction she received from God was in a dream and from an angel. God spoke to her in both dreams and visions. Her visions were often public events that others witnessed. Her dreams were, obviously, private. There were reports of her room being highly lit when angels would visit her at night, I have never read anyone, other than White, claiming to have seen the angel’s form – only the light. “A few weeks since, I was in a dream brought into one of your meetings for investigation. I heard testimonies borne by students against Professor Bell.” (3BIO 198.2) While visiting Healdsburg last winter, I was much in prayer, and burdened with anxiety and grief. But the Lord swept back the darkness at one time while I was in prayer, and a great light filled the room. An angel of God was by my side, and I seemed to be in Battle Creek. I was in your councils; I heard words uttered, I saw and heard things that, if God willed, I wish could be forever blotted from my memory. (3BIO 199.3) After I wrote you the long letter which has been belittled by Elder Smith as merely an expression of my own opinion… the Lord partially removed the restriction, and I write as I do. I dare not say more now, lest I go beyond what the Spirit of the Lord has permitted me. (3BIO 199.5) In the testimonies sent to Battle Creek, I have given you the light God has given to me. In no case have I given my own judgment or opinion. I have enough to write of what has been shown me, without falling back on my own opinions. (3BIO 200.1) White did not consider herself to be infallible, even as a messenger. Dr. David Paulson wrote to White in April 1860, “I was led to conclude and most firmly believe that every word that you ever spoke in public or private, that every letter you wrote under any and all circumstances, was as inspired as the ten commandments.” White responded, “My brother, you have studied my writings diligently, and you have never found that I have made any such claims, neither will you find that the pioneers in our cause ever made such claims” (1SM, 24-26) She also wrote, “God and heaven alone are infallible” (1SM, 37). “The Holy Scriptures are to be accepted as an authoritative, infallible revelation of His will” (GC, vii). This is what she wrote about using her writings (aka Spirit of Prophecy or Testimonies). “I recommend to you, dear reader, the Word of God as the rule of your faith and practice. By that Word we are to be judged. God has, in that Word, promised to give visions in the ‘last days’; not for a new rule of faith (3SM 29.1) “The Lord desires you to study your Bibles. He has not given any additional light to take the place of his Word.” (3SM, 29.2) “In public labor do not make prominent, and quote that which Sister White has written, as authority to sustain your positions. To do this will not increase faith in the testimonies. Bring your evidences, clear and plain, from the Word of God. (3SM 29.3) [emphasis added]. “Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light. (3SM 30.4) “Brother J would confuse the mind by seeking to make it appear that the light God has given through the Testimonies is an addition to the Word of God, but in this he presents the matter in a false light. (3SM 30.6) In summary: There still exists a diverse opinion among Seventh-day Adventists. There are those that believe everything she wrote was inspired by God. There are others that are inclined to think like Uriah Smith – that only when she says “the Lord showed me” is it a testimony from the Lord. Still others do not think much about her. This third group does not read her writings and only reads from the Bible.
    2 points
  36. MEXICO CITY (AP) — Gently holding a baby hummingbird between her hands, Catia Lattouf says, “Hello, cute little guy. Are you very hungry?” It’s the newest patient at her apartment in a toney section of Mexico City where she has nursed hundreds of the tiny birds back to health over the past decade. https://apnews.com/article/mexico-hummingbirds-clinic-3f8247ca7957416aa97ccbb7b2f1aca8?
    2 points
  37. Gustave

Froom and Arianism

Psalm 2, 7 prophetically applied to Christ is speaking of the Incarnation when Jesus was indeed born "in the flesh". You've no doubt heard the saying that 'wherever you go - there you are'. Well, Christ was the Son prior to the Incarnation according to the Scriptures.
    2 points
  38. Kevin H

Ellen White & Eastern Orthodoxy

I'm sorry, but you are continuing to misunderstand and thus misread... Maybe it would help if I start out with the historical context before returning to the context of the audience addressed. At this time in history, two theories of inspiration were being developed. The first was modernism which taught that the Bible is purely a human product following evolution. That there may not even be a God and thus the Bible is definitely not from God. In reaction to this people who wanted to believe in God and the Bible ended up going to the opposite extreme: They developed a theory of inspiration called "Fundamentalism" which says that since the Bible is God's book, it has to be as perfect as God is. That it needs to be completely inerrant. That what the Bible says comes 100% directly from God and from the perspective of his all knowing situation. The Whites appeared to dissagree with both extremes (and at least as she got older, Mrs. White definitely rejected both extremes and tried to encourage a moderate understanding. Sadly, she lost this battle.) People becoming aware of these two different views were wondering how Mrs. White's writings fit with all the copying she was doing. Many of these people were helping her to copy. And the Review would send people a copy of some of her favorite books to copy from if they would order a subscription to the Review. The question people were asking was NOT "Are you copying? Yes/No" but "Since you are copying, does this mean that you are getting your message from the people you copy from and not from God?" People who were being attracted to Fundamentalism, and thus trying to look for everything to come 100% from God and not seeing this but seeing a lot of copying were wondering if the message could still come from God if she was doing so much copying. These responses are NOT A DENYAL of copying, but an affirmation that the basic principles and basic message does not come from the sources read and copied but from God. I hope this helps.
    2 points
  39. Gregory Matthews

Froom and Arianism

Well, I personally worked for Fenten Froom, the son of L. E. Froom. Neither was a Jesuit. I wonder, how many of those who suggest that some SDA was a Jesuit, have ever personally know a Jesuit Priest. I have have personally worked with a Jesuit Priest on a 5-day a week basis. I got my Roman Catholic book of Canon Law from him.
    2 points
  40. Rahab

The Anti-Evolution Commandment

God says it is a sign between his people and Him. By keeping the Sabbath it means we are God’s own.
    2 points
  41. Gregory Matthews

Karen

What is in a name: Karen may be thought to be a common female name. In our society today is has assumed a rather negative connotation. From this perspective, one should be careful about using that name. For more information see: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53588201
    2 points
  42. Gregory Matthews

Disagreement & God

One of the critical things that I learned from Dr Horn was the idea that while objective facts are important, an analysis of those facts may be just as important or even more important than the objective facts. This applies to all areas of study. I will illustrate from the area of Dr. Horn's field of study. * You discover an ancient clay plate that has embedded in it some Egyptian hieroglyphs. Your plate is an objective fact. * First you are going to need a trained scholar to decipher those hieroglyphs. That is beyond you. Absent the scholar telling you the meaning of those hieroglyphs, you have little of value. * Next you are going to have to analyze that plate and the and what you have been told the hieroglyphs say. In your analysis, you may arrive at one meaning, while your friend may arive at another meaning. Both of your are hones. But, issues are not always clear-cut. * Sometimes the meaning that someone might give to that place would be clearly stupid. I could give you names of people who have their analysis rejected because it is simply stupid. But, I am not here to cite names. Sometimes honest people simply see things from different perspectives. Bur, each has valid reasons for the positions that they take. Life is not always so simple tha there is only one answer for an honest person. All of us may have inherent bias in our thought processes. * Perhaps this is going on in our current discussions in this forum. * But, that is O. K. This forum exists to foster civil discussions of issues of interest.
    2 points
  43. Gregory Matthews

How Should I Respond to My Homosexual Friends and Family?

How should I respond: The response that we make must be grounded in two different aspects of this issue. On the one hand we must understand what Science says about this issue. We do not represent our Lord well when we demonstrate ignorance about basic aspect so this issue. Fundamental to this is the fact that our sexual preference is not an individual choice. Neither you or I chose our sexual preference. In addition we must understand the common terms (words) that are common to discussions of this issue. We fail to communicate when we us demonstrate our ignorance. We also must reflect the love of our Lord and understand both the Biblical teachings and how those teachings are understood by this community. One of the best SDA references devoted to how SDAs should respond to this community is: Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, For Adventist Families, Ministry Leaders and All Who Care, Adventist Edition. NOTE: It is a special edition of a work by Bill Hanson of Lead Them Home. The above was distributed by the North American Division in 2018, under tightly controlled circumstances and i do not know if it is still available. contact the NAD to see if it is still available.
    2 points
  44. Gustave

Evangelism & The Great Controversy

I recently was invited to sit in on a Zoom presentation where I watched a quite learned Gentleman walked the viewers through his personal experiences as well as the history when Catholics started showing up in America and how the Catholic Church growing affected Protestants and particularly SDA's. it was informative and I did learn some things I didn't previously know - well worth the time. One of the things covered was recent efforts to flood areas with the "Great Controversy". This was not viewed by the host in a positive light. It seems some of the reasons were that some of the statements made in the Great Controversy were not grounded in truth but were more conspiracy theory in nature. The Host indicated that these types of statements on Catholicism were commonplace in 19th century Protestantism but as time progressed and people got more educated many of those affirmations could no longer hold water and that is why they started dropping off in Protestant publications - except in Adventist circles where the host claimed to this day there are still Prophetic Seminars being held by Adventists where many of these false affirmations are circulating to predominately an uneducated demographic. The host of the Zoom presentation I watched, from my memory, also suggested there are better ways to spread the Adventist message.
    2 points
  45. Dr. Shane

Nostalgia

Nostalgia is the opposite of resentment. While resentment can make us bitter and cold, nostalgia has actually been shown to reduce stress and act against depression and anxiety. Some psychologists believe that reflecting on positive life experiences is especially beneficial to those that have experienced childhood trauma. This is consistent with the Apostle Paul's advice to the Philippians. "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8). Nostalgia provides a greater sense of meaning in life for many people. Some therapists that use narrative therapy coach their clients how to use nostalgic moments of their past to shape a positive self-image. Our memories are not perfect. We do not want to make up good memories that never existed but we can learn how to move past bad memories while hanging on to the good memories and even allowing those good memories to serve to benefit us in the present.
    2 points
  46. The phrase "430 Bible study contacts," is not defined. It is open to question. In the past, the mass distribution of The Great Controversy has been ineffective. I documented a case which I as recall it cost into 6-figures and resulted in one baptism. In any case, several examples have had no known baptisms result. We have much better methods of spending money given for evangelism. I wonder why we think that the general public will read a book that they will not purchase, in this television age. Let those who will purchase it do so.
    2 points
  47. Dr. Shane

A Relational God

The meaning of God making man after His imagine has many different interpretations. I like a perspective I heard from David Asscherick. It is the relational God. The Godhead has three parts - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. There are relationships that exist within the Godhead. Man was created to have relationships. The family is a relationship unit. The parents have a relationship with each other. The children have sibling relationships with each other. Then there are the children-parent relationships between the children and the parents. Of course, my master's degree is in marriage and family therapy so I have a bias for liking a perspective such as that. I am of the opinion that relationships are the most valuable thing we have on this planet. Sin is destructive to relationships. Sin hurts relationships between people and it hurts relationships between an individual and God. Any doubts about the value of relationships? Let me share some observations. A rich man loses his mother (or wife or child). He is overcome with grief. He has no interest in his bank balance or the status of his investments. He pours all of his energy into the relationships with the family members still living. Another example is what I have witnessed in the developing countries where I served as a soldier and later as a missionary. I have seen children and families laughing and playing. These same families slept on wooden boards for beds and lived in huts with dirt floors. I heard them sing at church and joyfully run around after the service laughing. They had no monetary wealth but they did have healthy family relationships. God so love the world that He sent His Son to die so that He could salvage the lost relationship with humanity. It is not gold or prestige that most improves the quality of life. It is relationships. Relationships with other people and a relationship with God.
    2 points
  48. phkrause

My Daughter, Shania

Will be adding her to our prayer list
    2 points
  49. Dr. Shane

Secret to Happiness?

I got this email today. Good morning. What do very happy people have in common? The Wall Street Journal followed up with the 12% of respondents in a WSJ-NORC survey who called themselves “very happy” and asked them what they were all about. Here are the traits they share. Companionship: 67% of the happiest people said that marriage was very important to them, compared to 43% of overall respondents. Religion: Two-thirds of very happy people characterized themselves as moderately or very religious. The overall share: less than half. Closer to death: People 60 and over accounted for 44% of the happiest group, but represented 30% of total survey respondents. Gym rats: Fitness was a common interest among very happy people. What doesn’t seem to matter to being very happy? Political party affiliation or avoiding following politics. —Neal Freyman
    2 points
  50. Gregory Matthews

Word of Advice

Word of advice—Loren Seibold: A word of advice from one who’s been there: instead of shooting the skunk in the garage attached to the house, give it every possible opportunity to go outside first. Please.
    2 points
If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.