ClubAdventist is back!

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 04/26/2023 in all areas

1. Gregory Matthews

Husband In Charge

Question: What does it mean when the husband states that he will make all of the decisions? Answer #1: Well in our marriage I would point out “no dear, I will decide what divorce lawyer I hire to dump you.” Answer #2: I did know a woman whose husband said that and she said OK. she then did nothing. He wanted dinner he decides what it is and cooks it. She badgered him with questions constantly even calling him at work to ask. “What time should I take a shower” then calling back to ask “what soap should I use” then calling back to ask if she should shampoo her hair then it was what towel, the blue one or the green one. The moment he hit the door she was asking “should I sweep the kitchen?” “what are you going to buy for dinner” “what soap for the dishwasher” “ when should I clean the toilet,” She spent most of the day compiling decisions for him to make. After a week of making all the decisions he crawled down from his idiocy and literally begged her to make most of the decisions he really didn’t want her calling him at work during a meeting to ask if their daughters hair should be braided or not or if their son should wear his sandals or closed shoes. I think the final straw was when she called his office during the lunch hour and left a message with the receptionist saying she started her period should she use a pad or a tampon. The receptionist put it up on the message board open and almost everyone in the office got a peek and teased him about it. Thanks to Quora and Angela Birch for the above question and answer. 6
    3 points
  2. Gregory Matthews

Sister Bertken

Sister Bertken was a devout Roman Catholic, born in 1457. The following article suggests that her life has something to contribute to us today. https://atoday.org/the-two-windows-of-sister-bertken/
    3 points
  3. Gregory Matthews

The People of God

The People of God: In the following article, Loren Seibold challenges us to think beyond what he calls the norms. https://atoday.org/gods-many-many-people/
    3 points
  4. Gregory Matthews

Sabbath Potlucks:

Gustave: That is why I made my post telling all that it was a joke. I realized that some might not understand.
    3 points
  5. Theophilus

Alexey Navalny

Surprised he lived this long.
    3 points
  6. Gregory Matthews

The "last supper" was NOT a Passover Seder.

Rachell, the various denominations are divided as to the nature of the bread that Christ used for the Last Supper. * I note that in one post you say: " I told you that "artos" is unleavened." and is a second post, you say: "Artos" is WITH leaven>" I assume that one is a typo. However, let us look at the actual definition of the Greek words. * Artos is the common bread of a family meal. It is considered by many scholars to always be leavened bread. Thiis word tells us that Christ celebrated the Passover with the common bread served at a family meal. * Azumos is a term that references unleavened bread. https://www.onthewing.org/user/BS_Last Supper - Unleavened Bread.pdf#:~:text=The Greek for what we read as "unleavened,and not on bread%2C e.g.%2C I Corinthians 5%3A8. Rachel, I do not know where you got your definitions of the Greek words. But, I will tell you: Never use either Strong or Young to define the meaning of a Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek Biblical word. They are used to tell us how such a word has been translated, which is quite different from telling us what that word means. For the Greek, your best source of the Greek is the so-called Arndt & Gingrich. Always use a lexicon.
    3 points
  7. Wow. I never thought about that. The way you expressed it is an eye opener. All of the Dispensationalists I have read on forums are elated that they will not have to pass through any tribulation.
    3 points
  8. Gregory Matthews

Bald Males

Consider: As I followed up on a reference to a SDA leader, I noted that he had a nicely trimmed beard, cut to a short length. As I reflected on this, I realized that he was also bald. I wondered if there is any relationship between bald males who also like to demonstrate that they are able to grow facial hair?
    3 points
  9. Hanseng

Hans Diehl, DrHSc, MPH, FACN

Dr. Diehl did more to improve the lot of the sick and suffering in his 77 years than most people would do in several lifetimes. It's not always the length of life that matters. Quality is important!
    3 points
  10. Gustave

Ellen White & Eastern Orthodoxy

Thanks for that Kevin! Based on your comments I re-read Life Sketches where those quotes came from and then re-read LOCRP-01. I've got some other files in a folder I put together some years ago I also need to read. I'll definitely respond again but not until I review what you've said against the materials I've collected.
    3 points
  11. Gregory Matthews

Guinea Worm Disease

Guinea Worm Disease is a tropical disease caused by drinking unfiltered water in Africa. In 1986 3,500.000 people were affected by it. In 2022, a total of 13 people in the entire world are known to have been affected by it. This is due to the work of organizations such as The Carter Center, and others. For more information see: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/guineaworm/index.html NOTE: Currently The Carter Center is working on River Blindness.
    3 points
  12. Gregory Matthews

Does Scripture Condone Female Leadership in the Church?

Yes, perhaps, but a problem is that Ellen G. White was a female leader in the SDA denomination. One can debate whether or not she was ordained. But, it is unlikely that any informed person would argue that she was neither female nor a leader in this denomination. Some might say that she never held an elected office. But, it is clear that she was given, the same credentials, over a period of several years, that we give SDA pastors. If we consider SDA male clergy to be SDA leaders we must consider EGW to be a SDA female leader.
    3 points
  13. Hanseng

Bag with occult symbols in daughter’s possession

Don't know much about parenting but I guess you are going to have a major problem with your daughter if you sneak into her room and remove her property. OTOH, it is your house. You can ask your daughter to take her bag with her and move out or get rid of it if she wants to stay. Or you could change your own mind and develop a closer relationship with your daughter. This is a matter of conscience for you but not for her. I doubt she is a satanist or will become one because of a pentagram. Matters of conscience are important ones, however. You need to realize the problem is not with the symbols but with your conscience. While I respect your disdain, even fear, of things related to the enemy of mankind it is you who are giving those things the power to interrupt your family's harmony. Intrinsically, they are nothing, as Paul said, "An idol is nothing in this world." They have no power, vibration, energy. They are nothing, unless you make them into something.
    3 points
  14. Gregory Matthews

Leroy Leiske

Leroy Leiske died in 2016, But he should not be forgotten as a SDA leader who helped make the SDA denomination what it is today. See: https://adventistreview.org/news/leiske-remembrance/
    3 points
  15. Gregory Matthews

Thoughts On Issues

April 12. 2024 I hope to be able later today to post additional material in response to issues that Gustave has raised. Until I am able to do that, I am locking this thread. I will remove any comments that are placed in this thread by the few people who can post in a locked thread. After I have placed additional material in this thread, I will allow for posts to be made in this thread. In further study of the responses made to me, I believe that I have permission to post them in this forum. So, I will do so, with some explanatory remarks. I am still uncertain as to whether or not I have permission to publish either his name, or position in the SDA denomination. At this time I will simply call him Dr. Paul, (not his real name) and state that he is an SDA Scholar.
    2 points
  16. Gregory Matthews

The Folded Napkin

The Folded Napkin in John 20:7 contains an important Easter message that probably few have understood. See: https://atoday.org/the-folded-napkin-in-the-empty-tomb/
    2 points
  17. Gregory Matthews

Spectrum Magazine

Spectrum Magazine: As an experiment, the current issue of Spectrum has been placed on the web, for viewing by the public at large. It may be accessed from the following link. I have been given permission to share this. https://media.spectrummagazine.org/app/uploads/2024/04/spectrum-52-1.pdf Some back issues of Spectrum may be accessed from the following link. Additional back issues will be added over a period of time. https://centerforadventistresearch.org/spectrum/ It should be noted that the above link will provide you with access to additional material about Adventism, well beyond this magazine, if you take the time to learn to use that website.
    2 points
  18. Gregory Matthews

Personal--Gregory Matthews

I am in my 80's and in reasonably good health. My brain is still active, even if it is somewhat diminished. I have reasonably good physical health. However, I am having problems with my vision. I receive regular eye injections, which were not on my list of things that I wanted do in life. I am aware that my published posts may contain typos that I have not seen. I work on it, but I have not resolved the issue. I have decided that I will not let that stop me from posting. God does not require perfection. If there is anything of value in my posts, God will use them despite my imperfections. Gregory Matthews
    2 points
  19. Gregory Matthews

10 Hopes For Adventism

10 Hopes For the Church Of Tomorrow is an article well worth reading. See: https://spectrummagazine.org/views/10-hopes-for-the-church-of-tomorrow/
    2 points
  20. Gregory Matthews

Christian Nationalism #2

Christian Nationalism: I have posted before, on this important subject. The following article suggests some additional ways for Adventists to respond to this subject. This article has been distributed by the Rocky Mountain Conference. https://www.rmcsda.org/commentary-an-adventist-response-to-christian-nationalism/
    2 points
  21. phkrause

Steve Lawrence

Lawrence, born Sidney Liebowitz in Brooklyn, was the son of Max, a cantor and house painter, and Helen. He started singing in the synagogue choir. After dropping out of Thomas Jefferson High School, he won a spot on Arthur Godfrey’s morning radio show and recorded what became a string of solo hits in his smooth baritone. He met Eydie (born Edith Gormezano, the daughter of Sephardic Jewish parents Nessim Hasdai Gormezano and Fortuna Gormezano, in the Bronx) when both were regular singers on “The Steve Allen Show” (later retitled “The Tonight Show”). They married in 1957. The pair won a Grammy Award in 1960 for their first complete duet album, “We Got Us.” https://www.jta.org/2024/03/11/obituaries/singer-steve-lawrence-son-of-a-cantor-and-half-of-steve-and-eydie-dies-at-88?
    2 points
  22. Gregory Matthews

Medicine as Prophecy

Medicine As Prophecy is a small, 64-page, book recently published on SDA health-care. The first link below will inform you of some interesting aspects reported in that book. https://atoday.org/book-review-medicine-as-prophecy/ This book may be purchased on Amazon, at: https://www.amazon.com/MedicineProphecyTheologyAdventistHealthcare/dp/B0CVNLG5HL/ref=sr_1_1crid=92VWCSHP7SBD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4jCobREtc7Hk4du6SPAoAwYT12muBNF0slXAAZLNktILfJqnrczusxRai9hJPMFk0YoVrQiViTq7Q7vHIZDCOaICCAnrKoEYOZdkqLt3vKW2QGJ4hMP54LmIXZzNaahBwwvzNXdyV4UKYfaF5Cd6EhcdAretvVGi1xAHkOt1q3BH0Wto_1A50uJc5G3LZakCR3BEEMGbLqrjtB8OIJWikTRLWOGDDAXARY2LfEVk.OE82OytVHqgRP2BsvCsrf4rgztBa5e7jm1seYVstw0&dib_tag=se&keywords=medicine+as+prophecy&qid=1709648939&sprefix=medecine+as+prophecy%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1
    2 points
  23. Gregory Matthews

Generation of Youth For Christ

Generation of Youth for Christ, (GYC), recently held a meeting, which probably needs an explanation for those who have a limited understanding of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Members of the SDA denomination come from a range of differences in belief and practice. In part, this is due to a fact that people are welcomed who are at different stages of Christian growth. It is also recognized that honest people can differ on Biblical teachings. GYC consists of people whom I would suggest are at one end of the spectrum of SDA belief and practice. Or, to say it in another way: GYC does not represent the majority of SDA members, in my opinion. For a comprehensive report on that meeting, see the following article. https://spectrummagazine.org/news/in-portland-a-new-generation-emerges-at-gyc-event-as-last-generation-theology-remains/
    2 points
  24. Gregory Matthews

Christian Nationalism

Christian Nationalism: The following article should raise issues that will challenge our thinking. https://atoday.org/religious-liberty-only-for-some/
    2 points
  25. Gregory Matthews

Science & the Bible

Dr. Brand has written a valued article, which the Review has published. If you access the article from the link below, page down to the comments that have been made. https://adventistreview.org/magazine-article/faith-inspired-scientific-inquiry/#comment-6377846884
    2 points
  26. Kevin H

Trixie

There are parts of that show that no matter how often you have seen it, just the thought of what's coming up still generates a laugh. Lines such as " Who wrote Swanee River?" Or "'Cause she's a blabber mouth!!!" few other presentations can make the punch line last decades. I think it was channel 11 in New York City, had until recently played the Honeymooners after the 11pm news; causing New Yorkers to never have said "Oh, here's an episode of the Honeymooners I've never seen before." Nor has any New Yorker ever said "Iet's check out what else in on, I've already seen this episode of the honeymooners."
    2 points
  27. Gustave

The Pope & LBGTQ Issues

Same with me, there has been plenty things the existing Pope has said I didn't agree with. In this case of the LGBT issue I thought the wording of the document subsequent coverage of it allowed for many to get the wrong idea. At the end of the day each of us respects our respective Pope's when they speak on a matter of Faith and Morals. There have been plenty of times when our respective Pope's have proffered their own opinion on a matter and we are free to disagree and disregard those types of things.
    2 points
  28. Gregory Matthews

The Pope & LBGTQ Issues

Recent headlines and news articles have often commented, sometimes falsely, on the recent statement of the Pope on homosexual couples. The truth of the matter is that the Pope did not in any way state that homosexual marriages was approved by God. Any such inference is false. Rather, the statement of the Pope should be understood as saying that God loves the people involved in such marriages and the Priest, in addition to affirming the love of God for them, is asking God to further lead them in Christian growth. Gustave, you are welcome to comment on my statement.
    2 points
  29. Gregory Matthews

Inter Church Relations

As a congregational pastor in the Potomac Conference, I would visit other Sunday-keeping congregations because I wanted to become better acquainted with the local pastors and their worship. On an occasional basis that resulted in my being asked to preach to their congregation on Sunday, and I would respond by asking their pastor to preach in my congregation on Saturday. NOTE: As an Army Chaplain, I have been asked to preach to a local Sunday congregation and in my sermon to explain to that congregation what SDAs believed and practiced.
    2 points
  30. 8thdaypriest

Archeology

Link to You Tube video on excavations at Shiloh.
    2 points
  31. Gregory Matthews

Faith & the Arts

Faith & the Arts: The following article informs as to a unique approach made by one congregation to interact with the public. https://adventistreview.org/commentary/local-church-in-the-u-s-finds-ways-to-connecting-faith-and-the-arts/
    2 points
  32. In the Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary there is an excellent essay in Volume 4 titled "The Role of Israel in Old Testament Prophecy" In college every Bible class required a fresh reading and fresh paper on this chapter. While this chapter gives a Macro view, our classes took a micro view to the portion we were studying. God gave the prophecies with the possibility to be fulfilled in that generation or not too long into the future. Even the 2300 evenings and mornings were given in a year that happened to contain the date that was 2300 literal days from Belshazzar's feast. But it uses cyclic language and we find the Hebrew Cycles in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, based on the week of 6 days and the Sabbath, 6 months and the Passover/Day of Atonement, 6 years and the Sabbatical year (and in Leviticus, but not Deuteronomy, and Daniel is based on Deuteronomy: 6 Sabbatical years and the Jubilee.) Thus Daniel 8:14 could be understood as 2300 days, months or y ears. While sadly my memory of the essay seems to close with some attempt at replacement theology; from both the essay and the classes, we find that God was offering the Hebrews two ways to bring the gospel to the world. The first I call "Land Theology" or "Land Eschatology" This piece of property was quite literally the center of the ancient world. This was THE major intersection for the great trade routes connecting Europe, Asia, Africa, and Arabia. I won't go into detail here, but the plants, animals, geography and weather features of these 4 places met and competed here. This competition is what the Bible means when describing the land as a land flowing with milk and honey. In trying to deal with the competition of all these in the land of milk and honey (If you don't mind being a little grossed out I'll give more information below) the Canaanites formed some very dangerous superstitions; at least one of which made this most important intersection one of, if not the most dangerous place on earth. The Hebrews were to make this safe for world trade. They were to live faithfully, trust in the God of both milk and honey to deal with the above listed competitions, and the caravans were to talk about these people who superficially seemed anti-religious. On the one hand they all wore clothes with tassels that included one blue thread (the sign that someone was a priest). They had a place or places to "worship" but they did not have any gods/images. What a sacrilege. While grateful for the safety, the world would hear stories and expect the offended gods to vent their wrath on these people. But surprise, surprise, instead of the gods venting their wrath at these people, these people are to be blessed. The caravans were to carry these stories to the farthest parts of the world. Others would want to know why they were blessed. As people tried to learn why they are blessed they were to be welcomed and learn that these people were not anti-religious, but worshipers of the true God who does not need all the ritual that the pagans used, but a simple common sense religion, and a God too great to be in an image. As this message spread through the world, nations would join with them, others not believing them reject the message and the world would end in a great eschatological war, in which the individuals on both sides who did not individually reject this God would survive. If the Hebrews were not faithful, God would send curses to encourage them to repent. If nothing else worked, they would be sent into exile. In exile they were to share with their neighbors their unfaithfulness and God's faithfulness. And if faithful the exile would end in a second great exodus lead by the messiah. Thus, Land Theology/Eschatology is stay faithful in the land and let the caravans carry the gospel to the world. And Exile Theology/Eschatology is "Go ye into all the world and spread the gospel. After Babylon there was a return to 70 weeks of years of land theology. But then we went back under exile theology. We are spread through out the world to share the gospel and we will go home in a second great exodus lead by the Messiah to our true home in heaven. The Dispensationalists do not see this. They keep ignoring the "If's" in the Bible. They want the Jews to be back in the land so that the church can be removed (raptured) and the Jews suffer in last day events. We can care about both sides in this issue as humans. Even though located in this geographical space, ever since the days of navigation, then air transport and electronic transport, the conditions required for land eschatology cannot be met. It is no longer the center of the world and no longer the caravans to carry the gospel to the world. Thus even in this land, the faithful, Christians, Jews, I even believe that there are faithful Muslims, are still to witness and live under the framework that the Bible gives for exile theology. Thus we are not looking for any "get the land" ideas for us to care about these people, but to care about them because they are humans, and that they are the caretakers of this important location in understanding the Bible. We don't care about them for bringing about the "rapture" we care for them for being our brothers and sisters in the Lord. By the way, if you think God is through with the Jew, may I encourage you to read anything by Abraham Joshua Heshel, or the artwork by Marc Chagall, or at least read the book "This is My God" by Herman Wouk, God is working with all his faithful, Jew and Gentile alike by us sharing what God has done for us, in the framework of exile theology, share with our neighbors our God and wait for the exile to end when we see "HIM" coming in the clouds of heaven to bring us home. In the mean time, we will submit to God's plans for the Hebrews, natural and grafted in, as He works through more and more of us as he worked through Paul, Luther, Roger Williams, Abraham Joshua Heshel, Herman Wouk and Marc Chagall. People like Heshel and Chagall are examples of what we are going to see in many Jews as we all share the gospel.
    2 points
  33. Gregory Matthews

God's Creation

The John 10:10 Project: Is dedicated to producing short videos of the world that God has created. They are well worth watching. For a listing of such, see: https://thejohn1010project.com/videos/ Note: The following 6.5 minute video is one that you will enjoy watching that honors the creation of God. https://thejohn1010project.com/video/wings-of-wonder/
    2 points
  34. Gregory Matthews

Fletcher Academy

The question is: What is God's blueprint for today. I remind you that a dairy farm in California might work, while a dairy farm in Alaska would not work.
    2 points
  35. Gregory Matthews

The Authority of Ellen White?

I checked and Norton no longer considers your website to be dangerous. Good work on your part.
    2 points
  36. Dr. Shane

Abortion

I feel very comfortable with the official Seventh-day Adventist position on abortion. I also feel very comfortable distinguishing between my religious beliefs and my political beliefs. Some think my religious beliefs contradict my political beliefs but I feel comfortable with both and feel I am being consistent. Statement on the Biblical View of Unborn Life and Its Implications for Abortion
    2 points
  37. Dr. Shane

The Authority of Ellen White?

I can post the article here. The website is safe, although apparently there may be a link to an infected website. My antivirus software doesn't flag it on my PC or my phone. Nonetheless, those that want to read the article but don't want to visit the site until Bluehost finishes their scan can read the page I linked to below. Ellen White is one of the founders of the Seventh-day Adventist church. To be clear, there were several founders. Joseph Bates brought the seventh-day Sabbath light to the group. James White (Ellen’s husband) started the first publishing house. John Andrews was the first church president and first overseas missionary. Uriah Smith was the first church secretary and editor of the church’s periodical. Seventh-day Adventists believe Ellen White received the gift of prophecy in a Biblical sense. They believe that God spoke to her directly through visions and dreams and indirectly by sending angels. These visions and dreams can be compared to those believed to be received by St. Patrick. St. Patrick is believed to have had many visions or dreams from God and the conversion of Ireland was certainly miraculous. There were supernatural signs that indicated White’s gift couldn’t have been fabricated. She often went into vision in public, would stop breathing and be unaware of her surroundings. She was examined by medical doctors and skeptics on multiple occasions while in vision and found to have a pulse but not be breathing. Some visions lasted as long as thirty minutes. She was also spared in a train derailment. When a train she was traveling on derailed, her car became disconnected and stayed on the rails. The pin for her car was found neatly removed and laid upon the hitch – as if done by an angel to prevent her railcar from derailing with the rest of the train. Adventists are not in total agreement on how to use White’s writings. They do all agree that her writings do not supersede the Bible. Many use her writings as an inspired Bible commentary. In doing so, they use her writings to interpret the Bible. Others do not agree with that practice. Some believe everything she wrote was inspired by the Holy Spirit. Others believe only when she says “I was shown…” “The Lord told me…” or similar phrases is when she is baring direct testimony from God. Outside of that, she is expressing her personal beliefs and convictions. This disagreement dates all the way back to the beginning of the church. Uriah Smith was one of the founders of the church and one that believed that only what White was shown in vision or dream was to be considered a “testimony” from God. Ironically, modern-day critics of White use a dispute between Smith and White to discredit her (although most do not realize it). Critics often use the following quote from White, which she wrote in a letter to Smith. Most critics are probably not aware of the context. Yet now when I send you a testimony of warning and reproof, many of you declare it to be merely the opinion of Sister White. You have thereby insulted the Spirit of God. You know how the Lord has manifested Himself through the spirit of prophecy. (5T64) The context of this letter tells a lot about the gift of prophecy she is believed to have had. Critics want take the position that in this quote, White is setting herself to be equal with God. Therefore, if you disagree with her opinion, you have insulted the spirit of God. Upon examination, we see that her claim is the role of a messenger and not everything she wrote and spoke was directly from God. The church at Battle Creek, Michigan had a college. The college was focusing more on academics and not on training Bible workers and pastors. White’s letter stated that many parents would stop sending their children to the college if it did not train them for the Bible work of spreading the gospel. She also stated the college needed to teach trades of manual labor and agriculture. From reading the letter, it seems the college was focusing more on academics like math and science and not on religion and vocational skills. When Smith received the letter, he read it as White’s opinion and dismissed it. Even though he believed she had the gift of prophecy. In the quote below, he explains his action to her. The ground of my hesitancy to regard that part of your communication referring to the special school trouble as a “testimony” was the fact that I had always supposed that a testimony was based on a vision, and I did not understand that you had had any vision since the recent trouble in the college commenced; hence I did not see how there could be any “testimony,” in the common acceptation of that term, concerning these special matters. At the same time I said that if you should claim that it was a testimony, I would accept the situation; and so I do. (3BIO 196.3) So basically, Smith says he was unware that God had given White a vision about the matters of the college. Therefore, he considered her letter to be simply her opinion. White not only wrote back, she went to the publishing house and published a pamphlet on the matter. She clarifies that the direction she received from God was in a dream and from an angel. God spoke to her in both dreams and visions. Her visions were often public events that others witnessed. Her dreams were, obviously, private. There were reports of her room being highly lit when angels would visit her at night, I have never read anyone, other than White, claiming to have seen the angel’s form – only the light. “A few weeks since, I was in a dream brought into one of your meetings for investigation. I heard testimonies borne by students against Professor Bell.” (3BIO 198.2) While visiting Healdsburg last winter, I was much in prayer, and burdened with anxiety and grief. But the Lord swept back the darkness at one time while I was in prayer, and a great light filled the room. An angel of God was by my side, and I seemed to be in Battle Creek. I was in your councils; I heard words uttered, I saw and heard things that, if God willed, I wish could be forever blotted from my memory. (3BIO 199.3) After I wrote you the long letter which has been belittled by Elder Smith as merely an expression of my own opinion… the Lord partially removed the restriction, and I write as I do. I dare not say more now, lest I go beyond what the Spirit of the Lord has permitted me. (3BIO 199.5) In the testimonies sent to Battle Creek, I have given you the light God has given to me. In no case have I given my own judgment or opinion. I have enough to write of what has been shown me, without falling back on my own opinions. (3BIO 200.1) White did not consider herself to be infallible, even as a messenger. Dr. David Paulson wrote to White in April 1860, “I was led to conclude and most firmly believe that every word that you ever spoke in public or private, that every letter you wrote under any and all circumstances, was as inspired as the ten commandments.” White responded, “My brother, you have studied my writings diligently, and you have never found that I have made any such claims, neither will you find that the pioneers in our cause ever made such claims” (1SM, 24-26) She also wrote, “God and heaven alone are infallible” (1SM, 37). “The Holy Scriptures are to be accepted as an authoritative, infallible revelation of His will” (GC, vii). This is what she wrote about using her writings (aka Spirit of Prophecy or Testimonies). “I recommend to you, dear reader, the Word of God as the rule of your faith and practice. By that Word we are to be judged. God has, in that Word, promised to give visions in the ‘last days’; not for a new rule of faith (3SM 29.1) “The Lord desires you to study your Bibles. He has not given any additional light to take the place of his Word.” (3SM, 29.2) “In public labor do not make prominent, and quote that which Sister White has written, as authority to sustain your positions. To do this will not increase faith in the testimonies. Bring your evidences, clear and plain, from the Word of God. (3SM 29.3) [emphasis added]. “Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light. (3SM 30.4) “Brother J would confuse the mind by seeking to make it appear that the light God has given through the Testimonies is an addition to the Word of God, but in this he presents the matter in a false light. (3SM 30.6) In summary: There still exists a diverse opinion among Seventh-day Adventists. There are those that believe everything she wrote was inspired by God. There are others that are inclined to think like Uriah Smith – that only when she says “the Lord showed me” is it a testimony from the Lord. Still others do not think much about her. This third group does not read her writings and only reads from the Bible.
    2 points
  38. Gregory Matthews

Stephen Bohr

I have discussed this issue with Stan. We are in agreement. We do not wish for this forum to become a discussion of Fulcrum 7 articles--either for or against. Any who want to discuss such can do so on the Fulcrum 7 website.
    2 points
  39. Hanseng

Froom and Arianism

Probably false testimony or ill informed. I heard a lot of falsehoods in Adventism too. Perhaps you remember Jim Arrabito. He said L.E. Froom was a Jesuit. I went to the heritage room at PUC, found the obituary for Froom's family members in old SDA publications. Benjamin Wilkinson seemed to have started the rumors about Jesuit infiltration. One of his books includes a story about a Jesuit at Union College. The infiltrator supposedly just disappeared once he was discovered. Never identified, it should have been easy to unmask him. Not many religion professors at SDA colleges simply disappear. Wilkinson wrote at least 2 books, one on church history, one on the KJV. I read these books like gospel, believed the great SDA/Jesuit conspiracy. Then it occurred to me that SDA "scholars" pose more/ as much danger to the gospel as do the Jesuits. In one book, Truth Triumphant, Wilkinson states that the Council of Trent was dominated by Jesuits (p 308). Oxford church historian Alister McGrath said that there were only 2 Jesuits at the Council of Trent. There were 29-34 Franciscans, 7-9 Dominicans and between 4 and 14 Augustinians (Iustitia Dei, 320). There were assorted others, all more than the number of Jesuits. How could 2 individuals have dominated so many other groups, in view of the fact that there was of conflict between those orders? If I remember correctly, it was the Dominicans who got the Jesuits expelled from China and contributed to their troubles with the pope. Of course, some would respond that Oxford is controlled by Jesuits and McGrath is a puppet. You are capable of more honorable pursuits, Rahab.
    2 points
  40. Gustave

Froom and Arianism

Psalm 2, 7 prophetically applied to Christ is speaking of the Incarnation when Jesus was indeed born "in the flesh". You've no doubt heard the saying that 'wherever you go - there you are'. Well, Christ was the Son prior to the Incarnation according to the Scriptures.
    2 points
  41. Gregory Matthews

$350,000,000

In my opening post, I listed a link to a website that had a complex listing o the legal actions that were going on. As few people have probably read that in detail. I will summarize what is listed as happening. Everything happening is normal for litigation of this type. 1) Each party to this case is entitled to be represented by an attorney. So, every time a new attorney is hired to represent a party, a formal notice is filed to give all parties notice that this new person is actively involved in the litigation. 2) Everyone has to be notified as to who is the plaintiff in this litigation along with the attorneys who are representing a plaintiff. 3) The alleged defendants and the attorneys representing them have to be identified to all. 4) Each defendant has a right to ask to be dismissed as a defendant from the litigation, and the plaintiffs have the right to object to that dismissal. It is normal to have some dismissed while others remain.
    2 points
  42. Gregory Matthews

OTC Hearing Aids

OTC Hearing Aids: There is a lot of confusion over the value of Over The Counter Hearing Aids. The July/August issue of AARP Bulletin has an excellent article on this subject. However, that article is not available to the public. An older article from the November 2022 issue, is available at the following link. If you can obtain a copy of the current issue, it will be worth your time. https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2022/otc-hearing-aids.html
    2 points
  43. Gregory Matthews

More on the Trinity

Gustave said: God is fundamentally a God of truth, wherever that truth may take us. We fundamentally deny God when we engage in dishonesty. As we are human, we do not fully understand truth and are subject to error. But, it is our responsibility to seek the truth and to represent God as truthfully as is humanly possible for us to do so.
    2 points
  44. Gregory Matthews

Disagreement & God

One of the critical things that I learned from Dr Horn was the idea that while objective facts are important, an analysis of those facts may be just as important or even more important than the objective facts. This applies to all areas of study. I will illustrate from the area of Dr. Horn's field of study. * You discover an ancient clay plate that has embedded in it some Egyptian hieroglyphs. Your plate is an objective fact. * First you are going to need a trained scholar to decipher those hieroglyphs. That is beyond you. Absent the scholar telling you the meaning of those hieroglyphs, you have little of value. * Next you are going to have to analyze that plate and the and what you have been told the hieroglyphs say. In your analysis, you may arrive at one meaning, while your friend may arive at another meaning. Both of your are hones. But, issues are not always clear-cut. * Sometimes the meaning that someone might give to that place would be clearly stupid. I could give you names of people who have their analysis rejected because it is simply stupid. But, I am not here to cite names. Sometimes honest people simply see things from different perspectives. Bur, each has valid reasons for the positions that they take. Life is not always so simple tha there is only one answer for an honest person. All of us may have inherent bias in our thought processes. * Perhaps this is going on in our current discussions in this forum. * But, that is O. K. This forum exists to foster civil discussions of issues of interest.
    2 points
  45. Gregory Matthews

How Should I Respond to My Homosexual Friends and Family?

How should I respond: The response that we make must be grounded in two different aspects of this issue. On the one hand we must understand what Science says about this issue. We do not represent our Lord well when we demonstrate ignorance about basic aspect so this issue. Fundamental to this is the fact that our sexual preference is not an individual choice. Neither you or I chose our sexual preference. In addition we must understand the common terms (words) that are common to discussions of this issue. We fail to communicate when we us demonstrate our ignorance. We also must reflect the love of our Lord and understand both the Biblical teachings and how those teachings are understood by this community. One of the best SDA references devoted to how SDAs should respond to this community is: Guiding Families of LGBT+ Loved Ones, For Adventist Families, Ministry Leaders and All Who Care, Adventist Edition. NOTE: It is a special edition of a work by Bill Hanson of Lead Them Home. The above was distributed by the North American Division in 2018, under tightly controlled circumstances and i do not know if it is still available. contact the NAD to see if it is still available.
    2 points
  46. They come out very strong on the Gospel in Rev 14 and the fact that the first Angel's message points directly at Ex 20:11 - the literal creation week. The basis for that gospel message starts with "Who is God" Three Angel's Messages Quarterly link
    2 points
  47. Gregory Matthews

The Sabbath & Christianity

The Sabbath is a recent documentary film produced by Martin Doblmeier, who has produced several documentary films on Adventists. In this film he branches out and considers how Adventists and other groups of people relate to the Sabbath. The following link will take you to an article that informs you as to this documentary film. https://spectrummagazine.org/arts-essays/2023/view-sabbath-documentary This film may be views online at: https://www.journeyfilms.com/ If is also scheduled to be broadcast on PBS beginning in June, 2023.
    2 points
  48. davidallenvo

Presidents video

You know those AI presidents' voices videos that are circulating YouTube. I liked the idea but didn't like the foul language being used, so I made one of #44, 45, and 46 studying the Adventist Quarterly. Like, Share, or comment if you want me to make more
    2 points
  49. Dr. Shane

A Relational God

The meaning of God making man after His imagine has many different interpretations. I like a perspective I heard from David Asscherick. It is the relational God. The Godhead has three parts - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. There are relationships that exist within the Godhead. Man was created to have relationships. The family is a relationship unit. The parents have a relationship with each other. The children have sibling relationships with each other. Then there are the children-parent relationships between the children and the parents. Of course, my master's degree is in marriage and family therapy so I have a bias for liking a perspective such as that. I am of the opinion that relationships are the most valuable thing we have on this planet. Sin is destructive to relationships. Sin hurts relationships between people and it hurts relationships between an individual and God. Any doubts about the value of relationships? Let me share some observations. A rich man loses his mother (or wife or child). He is overcome with grief. He has no interest in his bank balance or the status of his investments. He pours all of his energy into the relationships with the family members still living. Another example is what I have witnessed in the developing countries where I served as a soldier and later as a missionary. I have seen children and families laughing and playing. These same families slept on wooden boards for beds and lived in huts with dirt floors. I heard them sing at church and joyfully run around after the service laughing. They had no monetary wealth but they did have healthy family relationships. God so love the world that He sent His Son to die so that He could salvage the lost relationship with humanity. It is not gold or prestige that most improves the quality of life. It is relationships. Relationships with other people and a relationship with God.
    2 points
  50. Dr. Shane

First pill for fecal transplants wins FDA approval

I eat plently of plant fiber.
    2 points
If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.