ClubAdventist is back!

How to tell if you're a racist. . . .

Tom is liberal in all areas? Interesting.

Sorry Taylor, but, Tom is a PROGRESSIVE...progressive people may not be liberal in all areas...But a conservative wouldn't know that, as they can't see that well anyways....um...did I say saything wrong here???? ....nah.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• lazarus

• Kountzer

• olger

Olger reminds the brethren that he is too busy to attend sensitivity training, especially since it is a non-surgical pre frontal lobotomy. You can get a tee-shirt for that too.

Olger also hands the "white guilt card" back to the PC proponents in this thread and wishes them well. He has some weeds to burn on the farm today.

`oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Olger reminds the brethren that he is too busy to attend sensitivity training, especially since it is a non-surgical pre frontal lobotomy. You can get a tee-shirt for that too.

Olger also hands the "white guilt card" back to the PC proponents in this thread and wishes them well. He has some weeds to burn on the farm.

`oG

ROFL Olger...you do make me laugh from time to time, sometimes from amusement and sometimes from sadness but you do make me laugh. (BTW I don't think sensitivity means you have had any type of labotomy as Jesus was kind to others..even when he had strong things to say to "correct them" he did it with tears in his voice.)

• Administrators

People that are liberal in all areas can be easily spotted at church potlucks. They take liberal portions of everything bwink

Well that effectively undermines the notion that I am liberal in all areas since I avoid church potlucks completely!

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Dearest Tom. Olger made no explanation of the Curious George Tee-shirt...

Hmmm... Olger's memory is failing him... On the 'Obama Believers'... topic you were the one that posted the picture of the offensive T-shirt on August 4. And then barely 24 hours later on the same topic you posted the following, which sure sounds like an "explanation":

Originally Posted By: Olger
Hate, like outrage is wayy overrated.

Seven year old boy..."Mommy, Obama looks like Curious George."

He certainly does.

That, supposedly is the origin of the t-shirts.

Hi Jasd.

og

reyes

As for the accusation of being too liberal for your tastes, I can only say that if that is an insult I "cheerfully" bear up under it since EGW says that the Pharisees thought Jesus was "too liberal"... I guess I can live with that...

Tom

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

The tragic thing is that many blacks are conditioned by the age of 4-5 to believe that they are "held down" by white people.

sorry I had a busy weekend.....please, please post the basis for this assertion.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

I think the original post is tongue-in-cheek. Anyone that might be offended by it should avoid watching late-night shows like David Letterman or Saturday Night Live.

"tongue-in-cheek" is a sneaky way of saying what you want and maintaining the option of escaping responsibility just in case you are called to account for it. You know - "having one's cake and eating it too."

One who speaks 'tongue-in-cheek' will eventually bite his tongue. nana

seriously,

/dAb

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

I believe Jesse Jackson should get a job. I guess I'm a racist.

:)

no. that makes you a "busy-body." (Unless of course, you have offered him a job that pays as well as his current activities!) pillowfight

beware - this comment may be "tongue-in-cheek" bdunno

/dAb

dAb

I honestly don't care if I am called a racist by people who don't know me. I would not even spend a heart-beat denying it. That's about how much importance I give it.

One thing I know is that all the laws passed and all the talk people do won't take that out of a man or woman if they got it somewheres deep down in 'em in the first place.

It's true, John.

We should all start, IMHO, with the assumption that we ARE racists. Then work on it. Laws won't help deep down in-side us. However I do think laws should be made and in the long run they do help by preventing some of the discrimination. And when children are spared witnessing such stuff while growing up they will have cleaner "insides."

Have you read Toni Morrison's novel, "Beloved" ? Everybody should read this book for insight into the the black experience in America. It is a great book by a great writer. She has won not only the Pulitzer prize but also the NOBEL prize for literature. She ranks, in my estimation, right up there with Dostoievsky and Tolstoy.

/dAb

dAb

People that are liberal in all areas can be easily spotted at church potlucks. They take liberal portions of everything bwink

Be careful about putting your "tongue-in-cheek" at potlucks!

seriously, i'm just joking

really!

hanging

/dAb

dAb

Quote:
tongue-in-cheek" is a sneaky way of saying what you want and maintaining the option of escaping responsibility just in case you are called to account for it. You know - "having one's cake and eating it too."

Is this comment applicable to late night talk shows, Saturday Night Live, The Daily Show and Mad Magazine? If so, should we avoid those forms of media?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

It takes some people a while to outgrow such infantile "entertainment" but the sooner they learn to avoid such stuff the sooner they may grow up to be responsible citizens, and learn to have respect for others who are different then they wheather in skin color or opinion.

"White man with tongue-in-cheek chews on something tough and poisonness." -dAb

dAb

"White man with tongue-in-cheek chews on something tough and poisonness." -dAb

And you wonder why white man speak with forked tongue.....

reyes

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

...Have you read Toni Morrison's novel, "Beloved" ? Everybody should read this book for insight into the the black experience in America. It is a great book by a great writer. She has won not only the Pulitzer prize but also the NOBEL prize for literature. She ranks, in my estimation, right up there with Dostoievsky and Tolstoy.

I recall one of the first books I read on the topic years ago was the classic by John Howard Griffin about his own real life experience as a white man disguised as a black man in the South during the late 1950's, Black Like Me. And more recently is the first novel by John Grisham, A Time to Kill portraying the gritty harsh facts of racism and prejudice in the South.

For those seeking further understanding of racism in America there are a number of other classics such as Richard Wright's novel, Native Son, and his own autobiographical novel, Black Boy and Invisible Man by Richard Ellison.

Tom

• Moderators

......I avoid church potlucks completely!

Tom

LOL, just out of interest, why?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

recall one of the first books I read on the topic years ago was the classic by John Howard Griffin about his own real life experience as a white man disguised as a black man in the South during the late 1950's, Black Like Me. And more recently is the first novel by John Grisham, A Time to Kill portraying the gritty harsh facts of racism and prejudice in the South.

I'll keep an eye out for those two books. Thanks.

/dAb

dAb

I've read the invisible man, by Ellison, and Black Boy by wright.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: olger
The tragic thing is that many blacks are conditioned by the age of 4-5 to believe that they are "held down" by white people.

please, please post the basis for this assertion.

As a Pastor for youth and children for several years I used to "hang out" with a bunch of 4-5 year old, black, white and Spanish kids.

The notion that many 4-5 black kids are blaming "the man" for the absence of cookies in the jar, or chocolate milk in the fridge is ridiculous. I wonder if my four year old is thinking that the Fat Controller is the one that is keeping Thomas the Tank Engine "down". I must ask him.

Perhaps by 13-16 perhaps some are conditioned to believe that in the same way that some whites kids are conditioned to believe that they are superior to black people.

I'm not sure where Olger gets this stuff. Its bizarre!

Einstein

• Moderators

Another good book...

Frantz Fanon: Black skin White masks

Here's a quote:

"There is a fact: White men consider themselves superior to black men. // There is another fact: Black men want to prove to white men, at all costs, the richness of their thought, the equal value of their intellect. // How doe we extricate ourselves?"

Einstein

interjecting here..

I am white.. ( not all, but I do appear that way)

I don't recall being in a group of white men where we talk about black men, or asian, or Inuit, or aborginal, or first nation, or etc etc... yet i keep on reading they think we spend our time thinking/talking about them..

Wonder if I am alone in that?

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

I've read the invisible man, by Ellison, and Black Boy by wright.

Ellison's book, Invisible Man-- not to be mistaken for H.G. Wells', The Invisible Man, which is science fiction-- is one of my favorite novels. Wright's Black Boy is good, too, but is not the great book that Ellison's is. It's like comparing Hemingway with a very good writer. They're both very good but one is incomparably good, in a league by himself.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.