ClubAdventist is back!

Palin's Yahoo! Account Hacked

Let's think about it for a minute. Really. Sarah has realeased all her emails to the investigators of "troopergate". The emails themselves vindicate her. The guy she fired was one of her cabinet members. If she did fire him because he wouldn't fire her ex-brother-in-law, why does her ex-brother-in-law still have his job?

Sarah is running for vice-president and there are only days before the election. She doesn't want to go panel because 1. she doesn't have the time to spare and 2. it will take the focus off the message she and John McCain are trying to get out.

Why assume the worst about her?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• Tom Wetmore

• Neil D

• jasd

Why assume the worst about her?

Maybe it's because there are some males who actually do look beyond the beauty queen.....?

I know, that was totally sexist on my part...[he said with a limp wrist and brushing the hair away from his eyes].

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I think there is a lot of sexism to it. Many assume the worst because she does not fit the description of what a woman politician should be. Primarily she is not pro-choice. Thus many reason, if she is a female and pro-life she cannot be trusted. That is like being a traitor. Who can trust a traitor? The worst must be assumed about her. That is sexism. Based on her sex she needs to be pro-choice or she cannot be trusted.

well, many of us who have religious beliefs don't trust religionists because they are the ones who killed Christ. The ones who knew humanity, and cared about humanity, and worked for humanity, were hampered by those who controled the law, and had political power, and did not want to upset the norm [aka "NO THINKING ALLOWED"]

Sounds like anti-abortionist Palin fits that bill...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

...she does not fit the description of what a woman politician should be. Primarily she is not pro-choice. Thus many reason, if she is a female and pro-life she cannot be trusted. That is like being a traitor. Who can trust a traitor? The worst must be assumed about her...

Actually it appears to be a more realisitc appraisal of her after the post-convention glow fades:

Quote:
The Palin Paradox

While it appears that Sarah Palin has helped McCain attract female voters, there are signs the support may fade. More women see Joe Biden as the Vice Presidential candidate better prepared to take over the presidency on day one (54%) than Palin (37%). They also see Biden as better prepared to be Commander-in-Chief (54%) than Palin (36%).

Additionally, many female voters disagree with a number of Sarah Palin's positions on important issues.

• Nearly seven in ten women (69%) disagree with Palin's position on global warming.

o Almost all Clinton supporters (94%) feel this way.

• Two-thirds of women (65%) disagree with Palin on abortion rights.

o Including 88% of Clinton supporters.

• A majority (52%) of women and three-quarters (76%) of Clinton supporters disagree with Palin on her support for the Iraq War.

--- from an Abt SRBI Public Affairs survey

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I don't trust that survey amy more than I trust a wolf in the hen house.

What is Sarah's position on global warming that women disagree with?

What is Sarah's position on abortion that women disagree with?

What is Sarah's position on the Iraq War that women disagree with?

I would have to see the questions asked and the demographics of the women in the poll.

• Moderators

Sarah's position on global warming is that it is not human-caused. This has been widely reported.

Sarah's position on abortion is never ever, even in cases of rape. This has been widely reported.

Sarah's position on the Iraq War is that it was a great idea and a great success. This has been widely reported.

Truth is important

Ok, my wife pulled me away so I didn't finish that last post.

Here is some information from SRBI that was left out on the previous post:

Female voters now split evenly between Barack Obama (48%) and John McCain (47%) following McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate...

More than 1 in 4 women (28%) report that they decided on their vote choice during or after the political conventions. McCain captured 31% of his female supporters during or after the convention. Obama gained support of a lesser 25% during the convention period.

Obama Underperforming Among Specific Female Demographics

Obama is having a difficult time attracting key segments of the female electorate.

* A majority (50%) of middle aged women, age 35 - 54, support McCain.

* The gap widens among so-called "Wal-Mart Moms" - white women, ages 45-64, with no college education - where McCain leads Obama by 18 points, 59% to 41%.

* McCain holds a 14 point advantage over Obama among White women (55% to 41%). In 2004, Bush won white women by a narrower 11 point margin.

o Obama still holds a commanding 82 point advantage among Black women (89% to 7%).

* Among married women, McCain leads by 17 point over Obama (56% to 39%).

Obama is also facing defections among Democrats. Fourteen percent of female Democrats say they will vote for McCain compared to just 8% of Republicans who say they will vote for Obama.

Now let's look at the questions I was asking about.

She does not believe that global warming is caused by humans

That is what women were saying they disagree with. However Sarah now says that man is causing global warming, at least in part. So the poll isn't accurate.

She opposes abortion in all cases, including rape and incest, except when the mother's life is in danger

It is one thing to oppose abortion and another to want to ban abortion. Notice how this was worded. It didn't distinguish between the two. Palin believes that if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned the issue of abortion should be decided by the people at the ballot box. That is a far cry from imposing her personal views on everyone else.

Quote:
Q: If Roe v. Wade were overturned and states could once again prohibit abortion, in your view, to what extent should abortion be prohibited in Alaska?

A: Under this hypothetical scenario, it would not be up to the governor to unilaterally ban anything. It would be up to the people of Alaska to discuss and decide how we would like our society to reflect our values.

The demographics do look good:

* Democrats: 37%

* Republicans: 30%

* Independents: 26%

That looks to be a fair cross section of the female population.

>>Sarah's position on global warming is that it is not human-caused. This has been widely reported.<<

Remember Reagan? 'Cows release more greenhouse gas than humans contribute' [/paraphrased]

>>Sarah's position on abortion is never ever, even in cases of rape. This has been widely reported.<<

Her statements following, 'That is how I feel; however, I would not impose my opinions on others' [/paraphrased]

>>Sarah's position on the Iraq War is that it was a great idea and a great success. This has been widely reported.<<

Oh, salon, huffington, msnbc, dailykos, motherjones... tchah.

Oh, that, the 'mission from Gd' [/paraphrased]

One hopes that one day the lefters will be able to cogitate as well as they emote. [/not directed to any of the list]

• Moderators

I do read Salon, but none other of them lefty sites. All views I ascribe to Palin here have been gleaned from the dread MSM.

And, even if cows do release more GHG than humans - don't have time right now to look it up, but I'm dubious[1] - who breeds and keeps and uses the cows? Would cows be as numerous as they are without humans? Of course not. I guess one thing it does mean is that vegetarianism might be a better first step than buying a Prius. bwink

[1] I suspect in terms of total volume humans release much less methane than cows directly from their bodies, so in that sense it's true! But in the sense of 'human activities', cows would be included in the total so the statement is just nonsensical. I suspect there's a greater volume of CO2 released than methane in total, but since methane is a much worse greenhouse gas it might be a greater overall contributor to climate change.

Truth is important

In this poll they simple said Palin agrees with the Iraq War. That is very vague and that is what women were responding to. One could say that McCain agreed with the Iraq War as did Hillary and Kerry. All three, McCain, Hillary and Kerry all took issues with how the war was executed.

Palin believes in equal pay for women. That is a major women's rights issue. She is also an advocate of child care which is another major women's rights issue for working women. She has not made her position known on other issues like maternity leave or companies allowing mothers to work part-time. These are also major women's issues.

The women's rights movement that is against her is primarily because she is pro-life. Yet one must ask, what are they afraid of. She favors letting abortion be settled in the ballot box. Are liberal women afraid that society as a whole isn't going to allow them abortion-on-demand?

• Administrators

I don't trust that survey amy more than I trust a wolf in the hen house.

I would have to see the questions asked and the demographics of the women in the poll.

In addition to what you just now posted after this hasty knee-jerk reaction -

Quote:
Methodology

This Time Magazine poll was conducted by telephone September 11 - 15, 2008 among a national random sample (RDD) of 1,008 likely female voters, age 18 and older throughout America. The poll includes limited interviews with cell phone respondents.

The margin of error for the entire sample is approximately +/- 3 percentage points. The margin of error is higher for subgroups. Surveys are subject to other error sources as well, including sampling coverage error, recording error, and respondent error.

The sample's partisan distribution is as follows:

Democrats: 37%

Republicans: 30%

Independents: 26%

Abt SRBI Public Affairs designed the survey and conducted all interviewing. The full Time questionnaire and trend data may be found at: www.srbi.com. and Full Survey with Results

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Here is the thing I have considered. Vegetarians pass more gas than meat eaters. However, I guess, if we count all the gas passed by the cows the meat eaters are eating, vegetarians probably contribute a lot less methane.

Well, if we stop eating meat to reduce climate change, I guess that would mean milk too. What about goat milk? Do goats pass less gas than cows? How about a methanie to milk ratio? How much gas is passed per gallon of milk? Hmmmm, things get more complicated.

Quote:

In addition to what you just now posted after this hasty knee-jerk reaction

I think it noteworthy to point out my knee-jerk reaction was right.

First, not all the information from the poll was posted here. Only a small portion was. And in that small portion the questions asked of the women being polled did not accurately portrait Palin.

So, my knee-jerk reaction was right.

>>Would cows be as numerous as they are without humans?<<

It is doubtful.

>>Of course not. I guess one thing it does mean is that vegetarianism might be a better first step than buying a Prius.<<

A coupla things: have you run across the latest studies showing that though vegetarianism may prolong life – synaptic activity is seriously impaired?

The battery pack of a Prius is located primarily in the boot with a portion under the back seat.

I knew a logging truck driver whose truck jammed – in neutral – as he was coming off a mountain. It seems, by reconstruction of events that – as he was gathering speed he spotted a muddy pull-out and pulled into it thinking to slow the truck. The truck slowed, in fact, stopped. The logs in his load kept going – severing his torso.

Careful of that battery pack in the boot – and pray that you never have a head-on collision – if owning a Prius. :-o

>>I suspect in terms of total volume humans release much less methane than cows directly from their bodies, so in that sense it's true!<<

I should hope so!

>>But in the sense of 'human activities', cows would be included in the total so the statement is just nonsensical. I suspect there's a greater volume of CO2 released than methane in total, but since methane is a much worse greenhouse gas it might be a greater overall contributor to climate change.<<

Much of the methane release derives from landfills/human activities. That said, it is doubtful, given the spin of earth upon its axis – that a bunch of GHGs makes its way to the poles – where there is evidence of warming. What I fear is the effect an ice melt would have - in the release of Arctic fresh water into the Atlantic, and thence – either submerging or changing the direction of the Gulf of Mexico’s current up the East Coast of America. (I’m one of those who suspect that the reason Australia has so many unusual animals is that it was a pole at the time of an earlier pole/axis shift)

Good Post.

• Administrators

I think it noteworthy to point out my knee-jerk reaction was right.

First, not all the information from the poll was posted here. Only a small portion was. And in that small portion the questions asked of the women being polled did not accurately portrait Palin.

So, my knee-jerk reaction was right.

saywa ... thinking right?... Oh I get it! adoh Maybe you need to jerk your left knee once in awhile... poke

As for the excerpt that I posted, I didn't say it was the whole thing. I obviously didn't post all the poll info (19 pages plus 2 pages of summary) since as you said before about one of Neil's posted articles - it was too long and boring... I didn't want to tax (unlike Palin...) any limited Republican attention spans and have it totally ignored.

:smilewink:

Tom

peace

These unprovoked attacks from Demos against Palin are disgusting.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

??? completely unlike the unprovoked attacks on Obama and Biden ???

Surely being on the ticket is sufficient provocation...

Truth is important

??? completely unlike the unprovoked attacks on Obama and Biden ???

Surely being on the ticket is sufficient provocation...

Okay. Let me tell it like it is.

Biden is no better than Palin. Really. Biden came to our town recently. He spoke within 4 blocks of our church. I could have gone to hear him ... but why would I want to do that?

Biden is a liberal just like Obama ... they are a good match. But no thanks.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
I obviously didn't post all the poll info (19 pages plus 2 pages of summary)

Nor was a link to the study posted so that other members of the forum could read it.

• Administrators

I notice you had no difficulty finding it since I did reference where I got it from. And if you will go back to post #187440 I fixed the link there which takes you straight to the whole thing and the site from which it came, which of course you already easily found on your own...

Not that any of that matters, since nobody cares for detail anymore.... We are a generation with the attention span of gnats.

I am more familiar than most with various political and news organizations. I wouldn't want to assume that just because I found it others could as well. The point of the study was that Obama is in trouble because McCain chose Palin. The portion posted here was just a side note at the end of the study which, as I pointed out, was not even done correctly.

I am pro-choice. I believe abortion should remain legal. But I think it should be decided by the people too. So in one sense someone could say I disagree with Palin on abortion. In another sense someone could say Palin and I agree on abortion. It just depends on how one looks at it. We both agree it should be up to the people but if it were, we would not both vote the same way.