shelly

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whatisthis

• shelly

• Woody

It's pretty important to be sure that you are in the right church with the right beliefs. I have grew up in the church, went and looked elsewhere, then came back for love of beliefs, not just 'cause I thought I was 'sposed to. I would say that if they don't make the truths in the Bible their watchword, you might be cheating to worship with them, even if they are way friendly. There are some groups of Hari Krishna's that are pretty friendly! (And vegetarian.) The more I study the more I see that the truths in this church match Bible truth in clarity and open up wonders about God and his plans for me, and that matters hugely to me.

more later

What is it with their belief in Three Days and Three Nights ?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

The first thing I see in Revelation tells me that understanding what really is going to come to pass is important.

Statement 1. God’s purpose in the Revelation, and John’s task:

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

(I see here the 1st statement: The Purpose of the Revealing is shown in three parts)

a. To show Christ

b. To show to Jesus bond-servants things which must soon take place

c. the Revealing was communicated to John who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

more later

Salvation by knowledge again...modern-day Gnosticism. It's not Who you know, it's what you know.

If these folks know Christ and are keeping their focus on Him, then the Holy Spirit will lead them into the knowledge of everything they need to know, in His own time.

Remember that the SDA church has had over 150 years in which to come up with and refine its doctrines. Not every denomination is at the same place in its walk with God.

It is never "cheating" to worship God on His holy day with fellow believers, whatever label they choose to apply to themselves.

I will be glad when the tendency for SDA's to see themselves as "The One and Only True Church" is completely eradicated.

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

Who do you believe the remnant of Rev 12:17 is then?

And if God doesn't have a remnant people, then why did He keep showing them to John the Revelator, so that he could describe them to a tee? Right down to the fact that they keep all ten commandments, and have the Spirit of Prophecy? Rev 19:10, 12:17. Or should I assume that you don't believe that either?

I'll be glad to see that day too...

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

Richard, what makes you think people in other churches don't also have the Spirit of Prophecy? Belief that EGW is the "SOP" that the Bible talks about doesn't necessarily make her the "one and only"..

Isn't it written that both men and women will have dreams and prophecy? Will these men and women only come from the ranks of the Adventist church?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I can only think of a couple other churches who even make the claim of having a prophet. There's the Mormons, with Joseph Smith. And of course there's the Muslims, who claim Mohammed was a prophet. I'm sure there's some more, but when you put that together with keeping all the commandments, including the 4th one, it narrows it down very quickly. I'm certainly open to suggestions as to who else might fill the bill.

Who but you said anything about the "remnant church"?

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Go back and do some reading, and you will see. Or maybe your definition of the remnant is altogether different than most other people's. Somehow that would not surprise me.

The church has always been the individual not an organization. God's reminent church is not just composed of the SDA. There will be some SDA who are outside the will of God and not members of the reminent church. There will also be others who were never members of the SDA who will be apart of the reminent church.

I agree with most of what you're saying here. God has people in all denominations. And at this point I'm not even sure that the SDA banner will go through to the end. But the basic fundamental beliefs that were settled upon by our founders will. And God's remnant will all be of one accord. Which means that at some point they will be coming out of these false belief systems. Just like God calls them to do in the book of Revelation. "Babylon is fallen is fallen". "Come out of her my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins".

• Members

You've got a point there..

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

As for vegetarianism while it may not be a fundamental belief we are not allowed to serve meat at a SDA event. We are not even supposed to have meat at potluck. So our leaders are enforcing a belief that is not biblically based. For me, there is no way around that. God says meat is o.k. but the church says no.

I already know what SDA stand for, our belief system, and what I hold to be true. For me the issue I am having is that the message being preached where I go to church are more a list of dos and don'ts rather than how to have a relationship with God. I feel like what I need is not being served. It doesn't reflect on the truth of the church but the fact that spiritually I am at a different place in my walk than is being addressed at my church. I got what I needed somewhere else. And at the end of the day, the details that we as SDA hold so dear are not enough to feed my soul. I want to hear the story of Jesus, not an explination or defense of SOP, health message, and a list of what makes us the reminent church.

offtopic

Meat is generally not allowed at Adventist events because many Adventists are vegetarians. It may not be commanded in the Bible but it is a part of our beliefs and I really don't mind that; it has scientifically proven benefits.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming on the ruminant church.

I guess that depends on which church you go to. I have seen meat at a church potluck. It wasn't long ago either. It just had a little handwritten sign in front of it that said, "This is real meat" LOL

I'm sorry to hear that. It is very unfortunate. I think that problem is pretty widespread in our churches. Like I said earlier, the only way I really get fed is when I prayerfully search the scriptures for myself. Just me and God.

Even Ellen White said that being a vegetarian should not be a test of faith, and said something else under inspiration at one point. She said she didn't understand and could not/ wouldn't take back,--she said that not everyone should quit eating meat!

Now, she also said that some of the main opposition to that issue at the time was in danger of leaving the faith. One of the leaders she was referring to was Kellogg, I believe, who ended up embracing pantheism, and another was AG Daniels who hopefully repented on his deathbed. (he was my great Grandma's cousin. So I sure hope he repented.) But these people were opposing the message about the coming contamination of meat sources as part of a greater rebellion stewing inside them, I think.

Well, I've not quoted you any strings of anything to back this, just telling my thoughts, but that's how I see that issue, from my point of view.

more later

Whew, what is gnostic about truth? I'm very puzzled by that definition of gnosticism. Of course we are saved by Jesus Christ and Him alone! Error hides Him, it distracts from Him, it sometimes even binds us in chains that keep us from Him. But He came to set us free!

more later