ClubAdventist is back!

Thoughts on the forum, and the future..

Stan

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: abelisle
This is a forum not a tribunal! ...

:like:

I'm beginning to see that there are some who would like to see nothing less than a pogrom take place in the SDA church.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Twilight II

• Bravus

• teresaq

• LifeHiscost

• Moderators
prayer

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Originally Posted By: Twilight II
...The minute it isn't, it becomes a "liberal think tank" that discusse Adventism, rather than an Adventist board...

So many Adventists confuse "liberalism" with "love"...

EGW said that the pharisees considered Jesus to be far too 'liberal'.

At times Ellen White affirms the liberalism that is willing to look at SDA doctrinal views and given them serious study while at other times she condemns liberalism.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

I know Teresa, you accuse me of being a Spiritualist because I present the biblical truth that the Holy Spirit dwells in the heart...

2Cr 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

And condemn me because I believe the heart is the seat of the emotions...

But how exactly does that conflict with any of the 28 fundamental beliefs of the church.

Which one am I throwing out by holding to these truths?

:-)

Ok that gets to the point of my curiousity -- what is wrong with what you have stated above?

I must have missed it

in Christ,

Bob

Some of my ideas are definitely unorthodox, but hopefully they are closer to being more true than not. I have, regretfully, posted uncomplimentary comments about the Founding Fathers and Mothers, and never been censored. Some of my silly, unrelated posts have been deleted by the moderator, and I'm ok with that, since they contributed nothing to the discussion.

I have appreciated the moderators challenging my thoughts that are definitely not mainstream SDA. Over the years I have "evolved", that is, changed into a person who believes that the Kingdom of God transcends any religion, church, or denomination. All of those create artificial borders, keeping people in, keeping people out.

I don't believe it's important whether or not someone believes EGW is a prophet, or that the SDA Church is the only true church. What's most important is that we listen to, and obey, our Creator. He's got a few simple rules that take care of everything we need to know...

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

One of the problems that people in communist countries had when exposed to capitalism and democracy was the task of having to "make so many choices".

If we cling to the 28 Fundamental Beliefs without knowing what they really are or that they compare so well against the every-wind-of-doctrine alternative, we do not do ourselves or the church any favor.

All must study for themselves to know the basis and the foundation upon which they stand. Every Christian all up and down the street will claim that they love Christ and all their views are Christ centered and Bible based. Clearly making those claims is far easier than demonstrating them to be true.

in Christ,

Bob

You would have to go through the threads he started on the HS and the heart as just Twilight to know what is being discussed.

I know Teresa, you accuse me of being a Spiritualist because I present the biblical truth that the Holy Spirit dwells in the heart...

2Cr 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

But how exactly does that conflict with any of the 28 fundamental beliefs of the church.

Ok that gets to the point of my curiousity -- what is wrong with what you have stated above?

I must have missed it

in Christ,

Bob

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

You have certainly given me pause at times, to put it mildly, other times the spirituality has wowed me. :)

Some of my ideas are definitely unorthodox, but hopefully they are closer to being more true than not. I have, regretfully, posted uncomplimentary comments about the Founding Fathers and Mothers, and never been censored. Some of my silly, unrelated posts have been deleted by the moderator, and I'm ok with that, since they contributed nothing to the discussion.

Club Adventist is like a bunch of the guys getting into a discussion after watching a game on TV. Well, some of them do drink beer and cuss a little, or sometimes more than a little. Sometimes the topic turns toward religion. In the group there might be an atheist, one or more evolutionists, some pro-abortionists, and one or two that attend church.

These guys have no reservations about speaking their minds, and yes, sometimes things get a little heated because some people feel very strongly about their beliefs. Of course, there is disagreement in such a diverse group. That's only human nature.

Now, there's a Friday Night Bible Study Group going on at the local SDA Church. Most everyone attending is already SDA, probably for years, and maybe one or two attend that aren't. The group leader keeps tight control of the discussion, and rarely allows interruptions that aren't relevant to the topic of the evening.

These two groups are not likely to mix very much. Each has their intended purpose. One discussion may be interrupted with a cuss-word or two and a sip of beer. The other is carefully controlled, sterile, that is.

The no-holds-barred football group is probably unlikely to want to join the much quieter Bible Study Group, and vice versa. So, we live in a big world, and there's room for everyone to discuss religion wherever they feel comfortable. If there's a Christian in the football group, he can speak his piece if he so chooses. Horror of horrors if someone came to Friday Night Bible Study Group smelling a little of beer and cigarettes. Now about the lesbians...

Yes, it can be quite difficult to not be controlling on the one hand, yet keep a particular forum at least civil and "Please do try to at least address the arguments I'm presenting, rather than something you're projecting onto them."

It seems there is more ego involved than a true desire to be found not wanting in the final day. I have to admit guilt myself far, far too often.

Yes, tq, it's way too easy to mis-read or speed-read posts and create strawmen so we can demolish them with our brilliant logic and arsenal of quotes. If we were speaking face-to-face we could clear things up quickly with instant feedback. Here, things go quite a bit slower, and too much time has already passed before we can clarify our statements or correct a mis-quote, and so, the damage is already done. The hastily-created strawmen tend to make us look like fools.

But you're far too right about the ego problem hijacking public bible study. The other guy is always wrong because I have the Truth. It's innate until self is destroyed.

Those that do that seem like such nice, people when they are amongst their own with no "enemies" to fight!

• Moderators

I'd be delighted if, instead of the metaphor of a single room, we could think of this place as 'in my Father's house are many mansions'. There's room enough here for both of the groups Aliensanctuary described so nicely, and many more besides.

What we've seen in this thread is some of the people from the Friday night Bible study deciding that every group in every mansion must be just like their group.

Nup.

Truth is important

lots of good stuff...

We NEVER want to post a sign that says "all who visit here never have to think for themselves again"

:like:

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Now about the lesbians...

"For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost."Luke 19:10 NLT

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

I'd be delighted if, instead of the metaphor of a single room, we could think of this place as 'in my Father's house are many mansions'. There's room enough here for both of the groups Aliensanctuary described so nicely, and many more besides.

What we've seen in this thread is some of the people from the Friday night Bible study deciding that every group in every mansion must be just like their group.

Nup.

Despite the rhetoric about the Friday night Bible Study, though seldom more than 8 show up, One has always been there when we've attended. We attend whether or not others approve.

"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”"Matthew 18:20 NKJV

prayer Thank You for coming Lord. While we're here, would You reveal our Father to us from the Word as you have promised?

"“My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”"Matthew 11:27 NLT

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

No-one is trying to stop anyone attending. Or to stop anyone encouraging others to attend. And so on.

*All* we want is to stop people *forcing* others to attend: and forcibly shutting down all other gatherings.

Truth is important

• Moderators

The no-holds-barred football group is probably unlikely to want to join the much quieter Bible Study Group, and vice versa. So, we live in a big world, and there's room for everyone to discuss religion wherever they feel comfortable. If there's a Christian in the football group, he can speak his piece if he so chooses. Horror of horrors if someone came to Friday Night Bible Study Group smelling a little of beer and cigarettes. Now about the lesbians...

Actually, I love your description here. We would want our Bible Study Group to attract all kinds of people, including those who have no knowledge of the Bible or even of God, or those who are thinking of rejoining the church. Or simply those who feel a hunger after God or things spiritual. We would want everyone to feel "at home."

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I must have missed it

in Christ,

Bob

Teresa likes to claim that because I hold these things to be true, I am a "spiritualist" and spreading "spiritualism" on this board. :-)

She seems to have no concern that she may herself actually be blaspheming the Holy Spirit by claiming my beliefs are spiritualism. When I am simply asserting the above texts in their most basic form...

Nup.

No one has suggested that all should not discuss things here.

What has been stated is that if this is to go under the description of an "Adventist" board, it should be governed by Adventists.

There is a distinct difference between the two points...

No-one is trying to stop anyone attending. Or to stop anyone encouraging others to attend. And so on.

*All* we want is to stop people *forcing* others to attend: and forcibly shutting down all other gatherings.

Huh? You lost me.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Administrators

At times Ellen White affirms the liberalism that is willing to look at SDA doctrinal views and given them serious study while at other times she condemns liberalism.

Bob, I would like to challenge you to prove this along with a comparison of all she had to say about being conservative.

But since it is off-topic for this discussion, start a new topic to dig into that.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)