ClubAdventist is back!

Solyndra to Declare Bankruptcy ,Another Obama Success

I am sorry,I just assumed that most adults understood what a subsidy was... The last I heard our public schools were fully funded by a variety of taxes/government,not merely subsidized to keep it afloat.

I think the same holds true with our infrastructure...

Public schools are fully subsidized. That is correct.

Most public streets and highways are also fully subsidized.

The Libertarian view is that there should be no public schools. The educational needs of society should be met by the market place. The only schools in existence should be private schools. Those that want their children educated will pay to send them to private school. Tax payers would not have to pay for the education of anyone else's children.

The Libertarian view on public highways is that they should all be toll roads operated by private companies. Those that use the roads would pay for their use. Tax payers would not have to pay for roads they do not use.

That is Libertarianism folks.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• John317

Public schools are fully subsidized. That is correct.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Originally Posted By: bonnie
Fully funded,not subsidized.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Not in this case it isn't.

I have a online business that was not planned but has exceeded any expectations I could have had.

Quite by accident I discovered a demand. I did not need the governments subsidies because there was a demand by consumers.

Had I needed government subsidies and a government body to try to create a demand for me,I would have been finished when the subsidy was withdrawn.

If there is going to be a thriving growing solar panel business in the US it will make it on it's own.

If ethanol were practical and worth producing,private industry would do it a lot more economically.

Fema can"t even be run by the federal government. Billions are squandered and fraud is very high.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

A subsidy is money that is paid by a government to a private industry or another government.

A public school district is a government. When it receives money from a state government or from the federal government, those dollars are properly labeled a subsidy. In the United States, all public schools are subsidized.

Likewise, when a state government receives money from the federal government to build and maintain highways, that is a subsidy.

When a municipality receives money from a state or the federal government in the form of a grant to build a water treatment facility, that is a subsidy.

A broader definition of the word allows for private organizations to subsidize other private organizations. For example, a church may subsidize a church school.

Many things are not profitable in the beginning. Solar energy holds promise but stock holders do not what promise, they want dividends. We must invest in lots of alternative energies in the hope that a few of them will develop into profitable industries. We can't go on using limited resources like oil and coal on a long-term basis. It is only responsible for our generation to invest in alternative energies so that future generations will have them if and when we run out of oil and coal - provided Jesus doesn't come first.

A subsidy is money that is paid by a government to a private industry or another government.

A public school district is a government. When it receives money from a state government or from the federal government, those dollars are properly labeled a subsidy. In the United States, all public schools are subsidized.

Likewise, when a state government receives money from the federal government to build and maintain highways, that is a subsidy.

When a municipality receives money from a state or the federal government in the form of a grant to build a water treatment facility, that is a subsidy.

A broader definition of the word allows for private organizations to subsidize other private organizations. For example, a church may subsidize a church school.

You are well aware that the discussion was a subsidy to prop up not support.You can call it what you will when the state/federal fully funds something.That is not to prop up but to fully own and control.

The government cannot create consumer demand or sustained production by subsidizing.As long as a subsidy lasts it can prop up a otherwise failing or non-marketable product.

You are the one that always wants to sock it to small business,if they cannot afford all the gov regulations you have said they should fail.

The concept is to prop up the idea when the product is in its beginning stages until it develops to the point when it can be marketable. This has happened with wind turbines. Wind turbines use to be so inefficient that they would never generate enough power to pay for themselves. Now a wind turbine will pay for itself between 10 and 20 years depending on the average wind speed in the area.

The concept is to prop up the idea when the product is in its beginning stages until it develops to the point when it can be marketable. This has happened with wind turbines. Wind turbines use to be so inefficient that they would never generate enough power to pay for themselves. Now a wind turbine will pay for itself between 10 and 20 years depending on the average wind speed in the area.

I know what the concept is. A idea that is viable and has consumer demand does not need propping up.

Wind Turbines are not a self supporting product.

When government tries creates a demand while producing the product it does not work.

What would happen to the wind turbine industry if subsidies were pulled?

Solar energy holds promise but stock holders do not what promise, they want dividends.

And you think that's wrong? saywa

Do you really think they should prefer promise over dividends? Did you ever take a course on business? If you did, it must have been so long ago that you forgot it all.

Originally Posted By: Shane
Solar energy holds promise but stock holders do not what promise, they want dividends.

And you think that's wrong? saywa

Do you really think they should prefer promise over dividends? Did you ever take a course on business? If you did, it must have been so long ago that you forgot it all.

Of course.

I would like to know of one thriving industry where the government has created the demand,subsidized a private industry to produce and forced the american people to purchase that is now independently of government subsidies a viable company.

I would like to know of one thriving industry where the government has created the demand,subsidized a private industry to produce and forced the american people to purchase that is now independently of government subsidies a viable company.

The space industry is getting there.

The space industry is getting there.

The space program was not developed to produce a demand and the goods and force americans to purchase.

And the cost of NASA was a big factor in allowing it to go private if it ever really does in a profitable way.

Nasa was a knee jerk reaction to Russia beating the US with Spudnik.It was a biggy.Especially with the Cold War.

The biggest aim of the US was to be bigger and better than Russia in space

Nasa did not create the demand for air or space travel.That began quite some time ago with the Wright Brothers. Nasa did not create a demand that could be sold to consumers.That was not the intent of Nasa.

I would have thought you could certainly have come up with more as answer to my question.

One industry, even if you were correct is a very costly venture with the billions that have gone to subsidies.

I think we will find once again that another industry was badly handled economically by the government if privatization of space travel ever becomes reality

There isn't one.

The space program was not developed to produce a demand and the goods and force americans to purchase.

The entire satellite industry came from our space program. We use satellites to watch TV, talk on the phone, lay out a building, forecast the weather and get directions to avoid getting lost. No private industry would have been manufacturing satellites and shooting them off into space until it was profitable to do so. Government had to start the ball rolling.

I have a bachelors of science in business. I am part of corporate America. Business is my world. It is what I eat, sleep and drink.

Amazing! Don't you draw a salary from a business you don't own? I work for a company too, but that doesn't exactly make me part of the business world.

If you took business in school, then what's with all the marxist ideas, and obama support? (also a marxist) Is that what they're teaching in business school now?

The entire satellite industry came from our space program. We use satellites to watch TV, talk on the phone, lay out a building, forecast the weather and get directions to avoid getting lost. No private industry would have been manufacturing satellites and shooting them off into space until it was profitable to do so. Government had to start the ball rolling.

Hate to break it to you but we watched TV,talked on the phone,laid out buildings,and forecast the weather long before Nasa.Nasa did not create a demand for any of the above

Government did not begin the space program to start the ball rolling for any of those industries.

The space program was begun because Russia beat us with theirs.

Government did not create the demand for TV,phone,weather forecasting or anything else.

Tell me what product government created the demand for,subsidized and propped up and it is now a thriving profitable business independent of the government

Don't you draw a salary from a business you don't own? I work for a company too, but that doesn't exactly make me part of the business world.

It isn't just working for a company that makes one part of the business world. It is managing a company that makes one part of the business world. The CEO of General Motors is not the owner of the company but is most assuredly a business man. The president of the local bank is most likely not the owner of the bank either but he or she is still a businessman or woman. The business world is filled with businessmen and women working as managers. These managers run the businesses they work for.

I am not a stock holder (aka owner) of the company I work for. I am a stock holder of companies I do not work for. I eat, drink and sleep business. I have a very good grasp on how the business world works.

How many know that not Rush Limbaugh, not Sean Hannity and not Glenn Beck have a college degree in any thing? They are all college drop outs. They are talking heads. That's what my grampa use to call,,, a bunch of hot air.

But we don't any more. Do we? Government changed our lives for the better. Thank God for government. Praise the Lord from Whom all blessings flow.

How many know that not Rush Limbaugh, not Sean Hannity and not Glenn Beck have a college degree in any thing? They are all college drop outs. They are talking heads. That's what my grampa use to call,,, a bunch of hot air.

This is almost funny.Shame on those guys for making it without a college degree.How dare they.

My dad also had a name for some folks,There was the educated intelligent man and then the educated illiterate.One that thought his education placed him on a higher level.

I know as many successful people without a college education as with a college education.