ClubAdventist is back!

Samuel Pipim

Tammy

Quote:
There should be some kind of Biblical precedent shouldnt there?

Can you share what scripture you based your re-baptism on?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• Woody

• phkrause

• lazarus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:
Can you actually quote the scripture you do have in mind that would tell us rebaptism is OK if you were only "sprinkled?" I would be interested to look at that..

Come on. You mean to tell me that you feel sprinkling is adaquate? As a Christian - I am impelled to do as Christ did and as He requires us to do.

I believe in Hematology.

I promised I would...but not tonight. I have to look it up and it will take more time & effort than I have right now...I know that your infinite patience will understand..

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Seriously; I would like to know what scripture mandates that people who have been baptized a bit differently than us, should be baptised the same as us? Why isn't joining us by 'confession of faith' OK in cases like that?

And I can trust"

Seriously; I would like to know what scripture mandates that people who have been baptized a bit differently than us, should be baptised the same as us? Why isn't joining us by 'confession of faith' OK in cases like that?

Profession of faith is only accepted for those who have been baptized as Christ was and as He instructed us to be. As a Christian - we are "followers" of Christ.

I believe in Hematology.

Well, where does the Bible say that? I would really like to know what scriptures people are going by here for saying these things about re-baptism. I suspect that, due to the OP of this thread that what you are saying here might be related to Pipim's situation, and/or others like it.

It seems to me that some (not you) really enjoy exposing this kind of thing, and not having any mercy; only finger-pointing and absolutely no chance of redemption. Just condemn the Adventists sinner, and keep up the presassure, and the Adventist "good people" rejoice." With these kind of people, no matter what the man does; IT WILL NEVER BE RIGHT; IT WILL NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH.

While you may not be able to tell us any specific scripture that would authorize re-baptism in such cases as this; neither can you show us one that would say not to do it. Pastors that I have counselled with about this say that it is a very personal and deep spiritual experience, (which it sure was for me) and that members should be able to make the decision if they want to do it or not.

Specific requirements for baptism do vary a bit from Conference to Conference, so we need to just leave this one in the hands of qualified people.

And I can trust"

• Moderators

It's unfortunate that this thread is titled as it is.

It is as if "sam pipim" is this incident. This is what sam pipim is about. Sam Pipim is more than this incident. I'm not a fan of his approach to spiritual things but the man is more than this incident. It's like saying Fred is a schizophrenic. Fred is really a person with schizophrenia. May not be a huge point but that is as I see it.

Quote:
You stated concern about returning to public ministry "so quickly." How long would be long enough? And why?

Let me add its not just the quickness but the how. I think it has been perhaps very close to a year. During this time he was written a book called "wounded eagle" about his experience. There is nothing wrong with writing a book but it begs the question as to how much "work" has he done to really examine what led up to his "fall". Pipim suggested that this was just a one off. It clearly was not. This type of behavior takes a lot of time and effort to reform. Miracles happen, you can pray and fast for a few weeks and be "cured" but in most cases there is a process that takes months even years.

Interestingly, someone pointed out that an eagle is a predatory bird. The title suggests that he was a victim in the whole matter which is far from the case. During his year out of ministry he gas worked very hard to get a new "line" of ministry together. Seems like his focus was more on self justification that reformation.

Have you read his incredibly long presentation to the Ann Arbour church board. If anything was a red flag that marathon of self-justification was. The letter to him from a friend in his church also give further indication of the condition of his life circumstances.

The length of time it takes to be ready to come back into ministry should be a case by case. There is so much at stack. We should err on the side of too long rather than too short.

http://thewoundedeaglebooks.com/

http://eaglesonline.org/

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

And I can trust"

Quote:
Well, where does the Bible say that? I would really like to know what scriptures people are going by here for saying these things about re-baptism.

Interesting that you keep demanding scripture on this topic when you don't quote the scripture you used to justify your re-baptism.

Re-baptism is a tradition. Thus what our church does regarding this issue and what rules are in place - are not based upon scripture - but rather : tradition. That is why they vary from one conference to another.

I believe in Hematology.

It seems to me that some (not you) really enjoy exposing this kind of thing, and not having any mercy; only finger-pointing and absolutely no chance of redemption. Just condemn the Adventists sinner, and keep up the presassure, and the Adventist "good people" rejoice." With these kind of people, no matter what the man does; IT WILL NEVER BE RIGHT; IT WILL NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

This topic generally brings up the grading of sin very quickly.Why?

Do those of you that paint "some" in a negative light and make personal negative assumptions know that to be true? Or is that a privilege and right you allow for "some"

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

post-2281-140967454002_thumb.jpg

I believe in Hematology.

Then it would be nice if you stopped

Can I anticipate you intend to stop judging those that do not sdhere to Matthew 18 in the way you understand it?

Does that mean that you do not have opinions?

Does Matthew 18 mean refuse to see when different remedies need to be in place?

I would take your attachment to mean you do not judge others to have a lesser standing before God.

You do not judge their eternal life or lack of it?

You do not claim to be better in the eyes of God.

It does not mean to me that you sit down and shut up and claim it is God's timing that allows years of systmatic abuse that can be prevented.

Woody; you always get like this when you are asked for scripture references on something you say...I did explain that i would look that up for you but I am a very busy contractor, and have very little time. But I did promise to do it so stop coming after me like a bill collector, eh? lol

post-4001-140967454004_thumb.jpg

And I can trust"

Given

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Woody: "Re-baptism is a tradition. Thus what our church does regarding this issue and what rules are in place - are not based upon scripture - but rather : tradition. That is why they vary from one conference to another."

As I explained to you above - there is NO scripture based on re-baptism for the reasons we use it for now. Because as our church practices it - it is simply tradition and not based upon scripture. That is unless you come up with some Biblical support as to why you were re-baptized.

Hope this answer is adaquate for you. Apparently you missed reading it .

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Woody: "Re-baptism is a tradition. Thus what our church does regarding this issue and what rules are in place - are not based upon scripture - but rather : tradition. That is why they vary from one conference to another."

As I explained to you above - there is NO scripture based on re-baptism for the reasons we use it for now. Because as our church practices it - it is simply tradition and not based upon scripture. That is unless you come up with some Biblical support as to why you were re-baptized.

Hope this answer is adaquate for you. Apparently you missed reading it .

Well; thats just it, we did find Biblical support, I just forget it right now. But most "tradition" is based on the Bible too so that should not be a concern.

And I can trust"

well I guess I will just have to be patient and do more waiting for all that scriptural support.

But you have been like this before - and none arrived. So, I am not holding my breath.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
There should be some kind of Biblical precedent shouldnt there?

I would hope so Overaged.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
But most "tradition" is based on the Bible too so that should not be a concern.

Do you consider that to be 'Biblical precedent'?

I believe in Hematology.

Can you provide us with a quote from scriptures that tell us about bring "rebaptized". I am not sure one can sanitize the Bible if the belief you espouse is not in there. :)

I have no neded to. My comments had nothing to do with rebaptism.

Woody wrote:

“But I do not believe there is biblical precedent for the way we use it now. The only example of re-baptism in scripture that I am aware of is if the baptism was not performed in the correct manner - such as infant baptism or baptism where the individual was not baptized in the name of all three members of the Godhead.”

This is not what I find in my Bible! The people were rebaptized because they had not been baptized in the name of Jesus.

3So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?” “John’s baptism,” they replied. 4Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. [Acts 19]

Notice that Peter did not say “in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost,” but simply in the "name of Jesus.”

“Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” [Acts 2:38]

“So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.” [Acts 10:48]

I challenge you to find a single case where a baptism was performed in the New Testament using the threefold name found in Matthew 28:19. There is not a single case. All baptisms were performed in the name of Jesus.

Eusebius was right, I believe, and the Encyclopedia Britannica is also right. Matthew 28:19 cannot be relied on for the correct way of performing the baptism ritual. History shows that that baptisms were performed in the name of Jesus in the first centuries of the Christian era.

• Administrators

You know, the topic of rebaptism in itself is worthy of its own thread. You think?

I'll do the honour :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I was re-baptized so i will follow you there Gail. :like:

And I can trust"