ClubAdventist is back!

"And this gospel"

Robert

• Moderators

When we talk about this verse in Matthew 24, "And this gospel," we usually stop at the word gospel. The whole phrase is "this gospel of the kingdom." In the context of Jesus' telling his disciples about the end times, saying, "And this gospel of the kingdom," the Bible also says (Luke 21):

" 20 Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God will come, He answered them, “The kingdom of God is not coming with something observable; 21 no one will say, ‘Look here!’ or ‘There!’ For you see, the kingdom of God is among [many versions say within] you.”

We need to understand what the gospel of the kingdom is.

LD

How did God save us through Christ?

Remember the law of God demands the death of the sinner!

At the incarnation, God the Father united Christ's Deity to our corporate, fallen life in the womb of Mary.  This qualified Christ to become our actual, not vicarious, substitute.  

For thirty something years Christ said no to the desires of our nature.  Because our corporate humanity was in Him our humanity was made obedient to God's law.  This fulfilled the positive demands of God's law, "obey & live".

But because Christ as God assumed our humanity, in its fallen condition, that humanity had to take the curse.  Thus "you died to the law in the body of Christ" (Rom 7:4).  That is to state the humanity we share with fallen Adam died in the humanity of Christ.  Thus the justice of the law has been answered.

So "in Christ" we have a righteousness that fully qualifies us for heaven now and in the judgement.  That's good news...

We need to understand what the gospel of the kingdom is.

The gospel, not according to men, but according to God's kingdom.

Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead)....

So "in Christ" we have a righteousness that fully qualifies us for heaven now and in the judgement.  That's good news...

Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel flying in mid heaven, having the eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters."

Salvation by works, partially or fully, gives glory not to God, but to men....

And another angel, a second one, followed, saying, “Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great, she who has made all the nations drink of the wine of the passion of her immorality.”

Babylon is fallen (this is future) because she rejects "the truth as it is in Christ"....Anyone who thinks he/she can add to Christ's finished work is already in Babylon.  You can be a SDA and be in Babylon.  Babylon isn't a denomination, but a mindset.  Every denomination has those who are resting in Christ and those who are resting in their own works.

Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel flying in mid heaven, having the eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters."

Salvation by works, partially or fully, gives glory not to God, but to men....

And another angel, a second one, followed, saying, “Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great, she who has made all the nations drink of the wine of the passion of her immorality.”

Babylon is fallen (this is future) because she rejects "the truth as it is in Christ"....Anyone who thinks he/she can add to Christ's finished work is already in Babylon.  You can be a SDA and be in Babylon.  Babylon isn't a denomination, but a mindset.  Every denomination has those who are resting in Christ and those who are resting in their own works.

BTW, the Sabbath, is a sign of God's finished work.

Hebrews 4:9 "..There remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. 

His rest refers to the gospel.  Those who have entered His rest (accepted the gospel) rest the 7th-day because God rested from His perfect work of redemption in Christ Jesus.

So the Sabbath is a sign against legalism.  By resting the Sabbath you are stating, symbolically, that I cannot add to the righteousness of Christ.

That will be the issue when the Sunday laws are established.  Sunday will then stand for salvation by works and the Sabbath salvation by faith alone.

Very good....

Notice "to be" is an addition because it is italicized.

So it reads:  "For He (God the Father) hath made Him (Jesus as God) sin (as man) who (as God) knew no sin"

::like::

It is probably understood differently by some than others, however it's Truth without end, proven by the scars in His hands.

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Robert you should reevaluate your doctrine in light of  plain scripture. You don't want to lead people astray, do you?

Jackson please - you're doing that thing again - telling people that you're absolutely right, and they are wrong, and if they don't agree with you then they are leading people astray.  It's like you're saying, "I'm teaching plain Scripture and you're not."   It shuts down discussion Jackson. 

Everyone has an opinion, and everyone believes that his/her opinion is more right than others.  That's sort of a given here.  No one would take the time to write out their positions if they did not believe they have the weight of evidence. 

Respectfully,

Rachel

8thdaypriest

"In that He says, ‘A new covenant,’ He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.”  (Hebrews)

The "first" covenant is the Sinai Covenant.  That Covenant was written on stones.  That Covenant was the Ten Commands. 

The whole sacrificial system was the REMEDY for individuals who broke the Covenant. 

Under the "New Covenant" we have a "better" remedy - a "better sacrifice".  The ONE True Sacrifice forever. 

We have a better High Priest.

I differ with the Messianic and Hebrew Roots teachers, who say that we are under a renewed Covenant NOT a New Covenant.  

Paul called the first covenant "the ministry of death written on stones".  

The Sinai Covenant was a marriage covenant.

The LORD divorced the 10 tribes for adultery.

He kept the 2 southern tribes - so that He could be "born under the law" (born under that first covenant).

Finally the "husband" died on a cross.

When the husband dies, the wife is free from the law concerning her husband. (Rom.  )

We are now betrothed to Jesus Christ by a NEW Marriage Covenant.  

Are the 10 Commands continued in the New Marriage Covenant? 

Yes! 

Every one is repeated in the NT, except the Sabbath command.

But that one is described in Isa. 66:22-23.

The 10 Commands describe the behavior of the wife. 

Would not the risen husband desire the same behavior from His bride? 

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. 

The New Covenant is different, in that the LORD will write His Law on our heart. 

Jeremiah 31:31-33  “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah-- not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD.

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”

There are several studies at my website on the Law. 

"Two Covenants" ; "Jot or Tittle" ;  "OT Grace - NT Law" ;  "Ten Commandments in the NT"  ; "The Curse of the Law" ;  "A Debt Paid" ;  "A Yoke of Bondage"  ; "Circumcision"

Blessings,

Rachel Cory

Prophecy Viewpoint

8thdaypriest

8thday priest said:

"Jackson please - you're doing that thing again - telling people that you're absolutely right, and they are wrong, and if they don't agree with you then they are leading people astray. It's like you're saying, "I'm teaching plain Scripture and you're not." It shuts down discussion Jackson."

Is Jackson doing any differently than Robert?  They both have good messages; but they present them in an onerous manner.  They both put the reader between a rock and a hard place - "agree with me or you're wrong."

Gospel means "Good news".  Presenting it in a way where it is confusing, confounding, condemning or discouraging is preaching a different gospel.  The best summary of the gospel is found in John 3:16 (I don't think I need to quote it).  Any message which requires more than faith (and acting on that faith) is a different gospel.

Romans 7:6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound (see Romans 6:6/7:4), so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Now, just because the believer isn't under law doesn't mean that he/she can practice known sin as a legitimate lifestyle.  The latter part of Romans 7:6 brings this point out:

We have been released from under the law, not so we can live for the flesh (human nature), but

Now, back to the gospel....

32not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33"But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people....Jeremiah 31

Are you suggesting, Robert that God wrote a a curse into the hearts of His people? How does that explain this comment by David?

96I have seen a limit to all perfection; Your commandment is exceedingly broad. 97O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. 98Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, For they are ever mine.…Psalms 119

While one is not saved by keeping the commandments, one also is not numbered among the faithful when not obeying them.

9"Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. 11"These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.…John 15

12Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. 13And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, "Write, 'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!'"...Rev 14

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Any message which requires more than faith (and acting on that faith) is a different gospel.

23and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS," and he was called the friend of God. 24You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?…James 2 Emphasis theirs' LHC

Lift Jesus up!!

Are you suggesting, Robert that God wrote a a curse into the hearts of His people? 

That's nonsense, LifeHisCost.  I have no idea where you came up with that idea.

Tell me,  can you stand before God's law and say I'm holy?

If not what does the law demand?  Your death, right!  See Ez 18:20

So you tell me, are you as holy as God is holy?

2"AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS,"

Abraham was righteous by faith, period!  His works didn't add to Christ's righteous.  To even hint it does is pagan!

You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 

Rom 3:28 We reckon therefore that a man is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 

So James isn't speaking of our law performance.  

James is speaking of works of faith and he gives two example using Abraham & Rahab the prostitute.  Can you tell me what they did to prove their faith?

But it is ever the purpose of Satan to make void the law of God and to pervert the true meaning of the plan of salvation

Who is making the law void?  The law still remains...but the believer has been delivered from under law.

Gal 4:4  but when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 that he might redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

Christ came to deliver from under law to under grace.  To remain under law means death because "there is none righteous, no, not even one"!  No matter how holy you think yourself to be you are "falling short" of God's agape love as seen in the life of Christ.  

“We may have flattered ourselves, as did Nicodemus, that our life has been upright, that our moral character is correct, and think that we need not humble the heart before God, like the common sinner; but when the light from Christ shines into our souls, we shall discern the selfishness of motive, the enmity against God, that has defiled every act of life.” SC 28 

Complete obedience is the only condition that meets the requirement of the law. “God is not a man, that He should lie.” God’s law is the rule of His government. He says, “This do, and thou shalt live.” But to the disobedient He says, “Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things written in the book of the law to do them.” “The soul that sinneth, it shall die.” God has given the promise that those who obey His law will be rewarded, not only in the present life, but in the life to come. He declares just as decidedly that those who do not obey His requirements shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on them. By lips that never lie the obedient are blessed, and the disobedient are pronounced guilty. {Ellen White RH, May 7, 1901 par. 9}

Complete obedience is the only condition that meets the requirement of the law. “God is not a man, that He should lie.” God’s law is the rule of His government. He says, “This do, and thou shalt live.” But to the disobedient He says, “Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things written in the book of the law to do them.” “The soul that sinneth, it shall die.” God has given the promise that those who obey His law will be rewarded, not only in the present life, but in the life to come. He declares just as decidedly that those who do not obey His requirements shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on them. By lips that never lie the obedient are blessed, and the disobedient are pronounced guilty. {Ellen White RH, May 7, 1901 par. 9}

Please notice Ellen White is quoting Paul: "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things written in the book of the law to do them.” Gal 3:10

So Ellen White correctly taught that the law brings the curse for anything short of "complete obedience"!

The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Eze. 20: 11; Lev. 18: 5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them" (Deut. 27: 26). (EGW)

Acts 15:10  [Peter speaking] “Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?    

Galatians 5:1 [Paul] “Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.”

Like a marriage without love, so the law without the Spirit becomes a “yoke of bondage”. Without the Spirit of Christ within, no human being can keep the Law of God perfectly.  It is like pushing a huge boulder uphill.  When you get tired, it will roll right back over you and crush you, or crush someone who is behind you climbing that hill - which is exactly what the Law of the Pharisees did to the Jews.  The Law of the Pharisees was essentially Law WITHOUT the Spirit. 

Romans 9:31-32 “But Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness.  Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law.  For they stumbled at that stumbling stone.”

The “stumbling stone” was FAITH, or lack of it.

Acts 7:51  “You stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.”

Hebrews 3:19 [speaking of those who died in the wilderness] “So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.”

Romans 11:20  “Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.”

FAITH results in OBEDIENCE. 

So why are we (I include myself) not perfect?  Why are we still sinning? 

Is something wrong with our faith?

I struggled with this for many years.  It seemed that God was mocking me.

Then a friend of mine told me to "Read the context Rachel".

I looked up the new covenant promises in Ezekiel and Jeremiah.

Ezekiel 36:24-27  "For I will take you from among the nations, gather you out of all countries, and bring you into your own land.

Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them." (NKJ)

FIRST - We will be returned to our "own land".  That's when we come back to the earth from 1000 years in "the Father's House". 

THEN - The healing process will be completed.

Israel redeemed is NOT finally and fully circumcised in heart UNTIL "the 8th day".

UNTIL THEN - the blood of Christ will cover our imperfections.  

The whole doctrine that the church of God must be perfect (NOT SINNING any longer) before Christ can return, crushes the life out of sincere believers.  It so discourages them, that they give up.  

God DOES NOT manipulate human minds.  If HE could do that, this whole mess would not have been necessary.  He could just have manipulated Adam and Eve, and sin would NOT have appeared.  Free will is incompatible with manipulation. 

We have no conception of the damage we have sustained.  It will take 1000+ years to complete the healing. 

Let's be patient with each other. 

Respectfully

Rachel

8thdaypriest

Please notice Ellen White is quoting Paul: "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things written in the book of the law to do them.” Gal 3:10

So Ellen White correctly taught that the law brings the curse for anything short of "complete obedience"!

Notice that it says the cursed speaks of those who do not continue in all things written in the book of the Law. And I'm not sure if you believe this below to be true, even though it was spoken by the Person Who declares its' fulfillment.

9But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10for you once were NOT A PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY.…1 Peter 2  Emphasis theirs'  LHC

http://biblehub.com/greek/40.htm

Strong's Concordance
hagios: sacred, holy

Original Word: ἅγιος, ία, ον

Part of Speech: Adjective

Transliteration: hagios

Phonetic Spelling: (hag'-ee-os)

Short Definition: set apart, holy, sacred

Definition: set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred.

HELPS Word-studies

40 hágios – properly, different (unlike), other ("otherness"), holy; for the believer, 40 (hágios) means "likeness of nature with the Lord" because "different from the world."

The fundamental (core) meaning of 40 (hágios) is "different" – thus a temple in the 1st century was hagios ("holy") because different from other buildings (Wm. Barclay). In the NT, 40 /hágios ("holy") has the "technical" meaning "different from the world" because "like the Lord."

[40 (hágios) implies something "set apart" and therefore "different (distinguished/distinct)" – i.e. "other," because special to the Lord.]

BTW, it is Jesus complete and full obedience to His Father's commandments, and His cleansing blood applied continuously for those who ask and repent of their failures, that is responsible their' salvation.

9"Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. 11"These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.…John 15

12So whatever you say or whatever you do, remember that you will be judged by the Law that sets you free. 13There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you.

Faith without Good Deeds Is Dead

14What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? 15Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, 16and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?

17So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

18Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”...James 2

Lift Jesus up!!

James is speaking of works of faith and he gives two example using Abraham & Rahab the prostitute.  Can you tell me what they did to prove their faith?

That was question was to you, LifeHisCost.

Notice that it says the cursed speaks of those who do not continue in all things written in the book of the Law.

So you are and have kept and fulfilled the book of the law?

Well, let's see what Paul says within the context:

Gal 3:10 All who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Note the underlined.  Are you relying on your good works to save you?  If so then you must keep all the rules listed in the book of the law.  Failure at one brings the curse.  Hence you must be perfect as God is perfect.

11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The just by faith shall live."

No one can stand before God's law and justify himself.  Instead those justified by Christ will gain eternal life.  That's what is means "the just by faith shall live"

12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will by them live."

In other words the law is not based on belief. The law doesn't care if you believe in it or not.  The law demands perfect, unblemished performance.  The one who keeps all the rules under law will gain eternal life, but if you fail you must die!

In other words the law is not based on belief. The law doesn't care if you believe in it or not.  The law demands perfect, unblemished performance.  The one who keeps all the rules under law will gain eternal life, but if you fail you must die!

My sins are washed away by the blood of Jesus, continuously as long as I confess and repent of them. What is left is the righteousness of Jesus Christ Who keeps His Father's commandments perfectly, which perfection is credited perfectly to my account so long as I choose the free gift of His presence.

12So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. 14Do all things without grumbling or disputing;…Phil 2

11And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life....1 John 5

1My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

3By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

7Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard. 8On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining. 9The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now. 10The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

12I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake. 13I am writing to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I have written to you, children, because you know the Father. 14I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one....1 John 2

15Do not lie in wait, O wicked man, against the dwelling of the righteous; Do not destroy his resting place; 16For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again, But the wicked stumble in time of calamity. 17Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;…Prov 24

1My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.…1 John 2

Lift Jesus up!!

That was question was to you, LifeHisCost.

They didn't do that to prove their faith, they did it and it did prove their faith, the same as I fix breakfast for my wife because I love and trust her, not because I'm trying to prove anything.

God is Love!  Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

They didn't do that to prove their faith, they did it and it did prove their faith....

Okay, I'll take that correction. 

What did they do that proved their faith was genuine?

My sins are washed away by the blood of Jesus, continuously as long as I confess and repent of them. What is left is the righteousness of Jesus Christ Who keeps His Father's commandments perfectly, which perfection is credited perfectly to my account so long as I choose the free gift of His presence.

"What is left"???

That sounds like the gospel you adhere to is salvation equals what you do plus what Jesus has done???  That is, I plus Christ = salvation.  Is this correct?