ClubAdventist is back!

Pray for Laurelbrook - Our School

james423

• Moderators

Perhaps this article, posted on our school's website at the request of our president tells most of the story:

-------------------------------------------------------

Update on Department of Labor and Laurelbrook School

By Chuck Hess, President

I want to thank each of you for your prayers, phone calls and letters of support. The Lord is blessing our school year with many improvements to the campus and school program. Most important though is the blessing of God’s Spirit on our campus and in the character growth of our students and staff.

Many of you may not be aware that the Federal Department of Labor is trying to get an injunction to stop the Vocational Training Program at Laurelbrook. Their premise seems to be that we are a business (instead of a school), and therefore our students are not in a training program and considered as employees. As employees, being minors, the DOL is asserting that we are being oppressive and causing irreparable harm to them by having them learn, under close supervision, to do things such as split wood, learn to cook, drive a tractor, and a variety of other useful life skills.

As the President of Laurelbrook, I want to assure you that the safety and welfare of our students means a lot to us, and we take it very seriously. Keep us in special prayer as we have our hearing before a judge on May 14 and 15. At this hearing we will have the opportunity to present our program and provide testimony.

Laurelbrook’s program continues as scheduled on our calendar. Alumni Weekend is the first weekend in April, and we would love to see you there. The students are involved in many activities as we head into spring. They are looking forward to the spring picnic, class outings, fieldtrips, campouts, Junior/Senior banquet, and more.

We are still accepting students and full plans for a great school year coming up. Many of our students will go this summer to the National ASI to sing with the EASEA schools choir.

If you have any questions or need further information please call me at 423-775-2254 or write to me at 114 Campus Drive, Dayton, TN 37321. My email is cccdhess@cs.com.

-------------------------------------

In our conference, the U.S. Department of Labor has already targeted Georgia-Cumberland Academy, and we understand may be moving on to others of our schools in the South. The case is costing our school about $50,000 just for the initial hearing because of the specialized lawyers involved.

We need your prayers that we may say and do the right things so this case may be decided as the Lord would have it.

James Brenneman

James,

Our church is praying for Laurel Brook. You have a couple of our former church members (the Westfalls) there that we stay in touch with. Please let them know that the folks from the Summersville SDA Church are praying for this situation.

Blessings

Puddles

God's Will will be done. Amen.

The only failing of the human spirit is in not knowing Who's you truly are, and that the Love is real. Love fearlessly.

• Moderators

I'll be praying for wisdom in presenting this matter to the government investigators.

Do you also have a nursing home on campus?

One of my elderly friends was just moved to Laurelbrook nursing home, coming from Chattanooga. She says it's so much better than any place she's ever been before.

God has a plan for your school, and for its industries which allow the students to continue in school.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....