ClubAdventist is back!

Who Did Jesus Attack?

Bravus

• Moderators

'What Would Jesus Do?' always seems to me to be fraught with danger, because there's so much scope for us to project our own prejudices and assumptions onto Jesus. But here's a more factual question: During his life here on earth, according to the gospels, who did Jesus attack... verbally and in one case physically?

Truth is important

During his life here on earth, according to the gospels, who did Jesus attack... verbally and in one case physically?

Physically? PHYSICALLY? As in assault and battery?

• Moderators

Well, yeah... unless you want to do the weaselly 'he only used the whip on tables and animals' eisegesis... bwink

Truth is important

Well, yeah... unless you want to do the weaselly 'he only used the whip on tables and animals' eisegesis... bwink

Ahem . . . the word simply means 'he threw out.' One cannot deduce from that any physical contact. To do so would, itself, be eisegesis. Faithfulness in observing and identifying the data, professor!

• Moderators

Heh, well, um... under law brandishing a whip at someone already constitutes assault... it becomes battery when you hit them.

Meh, it's not a huge issue: point is, he was pretty intense about it. The text itself explains a reason.

Truth is important

under law brandishing a whip at someone already constitutes assault... it becomes battery when you hit them.

I concede your point. It is a good one. So, Jesus could have been charged with criminal assault--and sued in civil court for the tort of assault! And, possible, false imprisonment. But, at least we do not know that He physically touched them.

Although, the parallel accounts do indicate the tables and the animals, come to think of it. Might need to modify what I said. We do not know that He brandished a whip at them.

brandishing a whip

Yes, upon further review, I find that there is no statement that Jesus brandished a whip at anyone. Such is not reported. There are three parallel accounts. Two of them only mention the livestock and the tables. The third mentions that He drove them all out. While it is a possibility, based on the text, that He brandished a whip at them, it is not so stated, and is only a possibility. The student sees potential problems with such an idea, on the ground that by doing so, He would indeed have been chargeable before the Sanhedrin, and under law, no doubt. That was the very thing Jesus sought to avoid until near the end of His ministry. The accounts are harmonized by the understanding that He applied the whip in such a way as to hasten the animals out, which were indeed desecrating the temple. And, of course the moneychangers tables. The idea of brandishing it against individuals is speculative, at any rate.

• Moderators

Fair 'nuf. But I didn't say 'who did Jesus assault', anyway. I'm sure if someone came in and drove me out of my place of business with no warning I'd feel pretty attacked.

Truth is important

Fair 'nuf. But I didn't say 'who did Jesus assault', anyway. I'm sure if someone came in and drove me out of my place of business with no warning I'd feel pretty attacked.

Good point. And, you may well be correct. The text certainly doesn't specifically say either way. I found the question intriguing as a point of interest.

Dave