ClubAdventist is back!

Zamzam: A Missionary Odyssey

Dr. Shane

1378-300.jpg

The Zamzam Story

In the spring of 1941, before the United States had entered World War II, the passenger ship Zamzam was sunk by a German raider in the South Atlantic. Among the Zamzam's 201 passengers were 142 Americans, most of whom were missionaries en route to Africa. The dramatic sinking and miraculous rescue became headline news in 1941...

Apologies were given by the Germans, explaining that, because the Zamzam had been traveling in black-out, she was suspected of serving the Allies, maybe as a troop ship or a supply ship. Instead, the Germans now had on their hands civilian men, anxious women, hungry children, and crying babies! And 142 of them were Americans! With the United States not in the War, this was indeed a delicate international situation.

Zamzam: A Missionary Odyssey

An incredible little known episode from World War II, here are eyewitness accounts of a gripping, true story of faith, hope and adventure on the high seas. An old Egyptian passenger liner carried 144 missionaries from 20 denominations bound for mission work in Africa. The Nazi warship Tamesis mistakenly identified it as an enemy ship and shelled and sunk it off the coast of South Africa. All of the passengers abandoned ship, and their precarious plight was filmed by two photographers who “just happened” to be on board--missionary V. Eugene Johnson and Life Magazine photographer David Scherman. Here are their amazing pictures along with the firsthand stories of those who lived through the ordeal. All the missionaries were rescued. Were they miraculously delivered?

Nazis Outwitted

Zamzam

I watched this documentary on TBN tonight. It was quite touching. Am I like one of the few people that hadn't heard of this story?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

This has all the makings of an excellent Christian movie - like End Of The Spear. I don't know why I had never heard of this before. It goes to show what Christian television in the home does. Instead of filling my head with some sitcom garbage that is absolutely useless and somewhat harmful to my spiritual life, I am exposed to stories of God's grace and power.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

There were Seventh-day Adventists on the ZamZam. I grew up hearing that story and am well acquainted with Millie Boyd whose father was on that ship.The family name was Russell. Pastor Russell told his story many many times in his evangelistic meetings. It would be interesting to find out whether Millie has any notes on the rescue. Regards, Don