ClubAdventist is back!

Daily Bible Trivial facts

• Administrators

The Ammonites tried to embarrass David's men by shaving off half their beard and cutting off their clothes at about mid-buttocks length. It must have worked- 2 Samuel 10:4

(I know an "Ammonite". His last name is Ammon)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gail

• phkrause

• D. Allan

• carolaa

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

When Moses threw his staff on the ground it turned into a snake, and he ran away from it. Exodus 4:4

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Sorry about the typo!

Rhoda was the servant girl who answered the door when Peter escaped from jail- Acts 12:13

When she FINALLY opened it, that is!!

• Members

Sorry about the typo!

Rhoda was the servant girl who answered the door when Peter escaped from jail- Acts 12:13

When she FINALLY opened it, that is!!

I'm sure glad that you changed that post. And we have dgrimm to thank for catching that. :)

Otherwise I would have thought I read that wrong. hahahahaha

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Administrators

Junias was an apostle who was once imprisoned with Paul- Romans 16:7

• Administrators

Joanna was one of the women who discovered that Jesus had risen and left the tomb. Luke 24:10

Interesting about that sweating. I guess the point was to avoid wool. Linen was not like to CAUSE sweating. That does not mean that they did not sweat at all. I lived in Yuma Arizona in my teen years. (I haven't found a hot place since!)

In the summer time, we wore the minimum of clothing. Still, you could hold your arm out and the sweat would run in a steady stream from your elbow. Those were the days of hanging wash on the clothes line. We needed only ONE clothesline. By the time the clothes were hung on the one line; they were already dry at the beginning of the line.

We attended the small SDA church, maybe 40-50 people. Yet we had a grade school of 17 students. It did not take long to learn the "Yuma salute" in church. When you stood up to sing, you had to reach around and pull your sweaty clothes off your back!

Those were the days. Believe it or not, I miss Yuma!

Hubert F. Sturges

www.everlastingcovenant.com

In my KJV Bible, it is Junia (not Junias). Also, Andronicus was apparently the name of a Roman general, who may have become emperor. You have to be clear that was not Androcles who pulled the thorn from the paw of the lion -- and was in turn saved by this lion when "thrown to the lions" in the Colloseum.

Hubert F. Sturges

• Administrators

LOL It's amazing what can thoughts a word can bring out!

Here is a "not-so-trivial" thought:

Quote:
23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Philippians 1:23,24 (NIV)

These verses suggest that Paul was offered translation, which he declined as he felt he was needed by the churches. But let's look at the context:

Quote:
20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!

23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, Philippians 1:20-25 (NIV)

Here it now seems that Paul is comparing rest from his trials in death, as compared to living and working for the churches. While it might seem easier to die and be free of his problems, he is choosing to live on as long as Christ should desire him to.

Hubert F. Sturges

• Members

These verses suggest that Paul was offered translation, which he declined as he felt he was needed by the churches.

I don't see where you get that Paul was offered translation at all from these verses. He was simply stating his desire.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Quote:
These verses suggest that Paul was offered translation, which he declined as he felt he was needed by the churches.

So, Paul was offered translation, but he disagreed with God?

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Here is a "not-so-trivial" thought:

Quote:

24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Philippians 1:23,24 (NIV)

hmmmm, my first reaction is to say no, but you may have a point. the verses would then be much easier to explain than we have traditionally.

it also seems to be in keeping with the self-sacrificial spirit we rarely notice, that of wishing himself accursed if his fellow jews could be saved at his loss.

but i would have to study it more...... :)

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Members

Originally Posted By: hfsturges

I don't see where you get that Paul was offered translation at all from these verses. He was simply stating his desire.

I have to agree with you rudywoofs.

pk

phkrause

Rudy, now for an English lesson:

Quote:

1) Paul was torn between two choices.

2) One choice was to depart and be with Christ (translated). One possibility was that this meant that he had a choice to be translated. The other possibility was that he could die and wait for the resurrection. The context of the other verses suggest this, but it leaves open the concept of going to heaven at death, which we deny.

3) The other choice, which he took was to remain and serve his churches, which they very much needed.

Hubert F. Sturges

• Members

Why does everyone assume I need English lessons?

I still think Paul was just stating his desire. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Anna was an 84-year-old prophet who praised God for the baby Jesus at the Temple in Jerusalem. Luke 2:36-38

• Members

I still think Paul was just stating his desire. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Don't apologies for your thoughts or what you believe is correct. We each have a right to what we think this particular text says. And besides our salvation is not going to be thrown out because we've incorrectly interpreted this passage. And besides, not that I'm smarter than anyone else, I agree with you and dgrimm on this.

pk

phkrause

Quote:

You're not mistaken. As I pointed out, if Paul was offered translation and refused, then he was disagreeing with God.

Paul was simply tired of living in prison. He thought death preferable. And his next conscious awareness would be in God's presence.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Administrators

Thanks, TB. I perhaps should have waited another day before going on to the next trivia fact.

I DO, however, really enjoy feedback and discussion! I'm glad to see that people are awake!

• Administrators

Jesus fasted for 40 days in the desert. Matthew 4:2 says, "...he was hungry." Imagine that! :)

• Members

Jesus fasted for 40 days in the desert. Matthew 4:2 says, "...he was hungry." Imagine that! :)

It is amazing what he went through for us.

pk

phkrause

• Administrators

Goliath challenged the Israelites twice a day for 40 days. 1 Samuel 17:16

• Administrators

While Deborah judged Israel, the people lived in peace for 40 years. Behind every peaceful country, there is a good woman- Judges 5:31