ClubAdventist is back!

Daily Bible Trivial facts

• Administrators

Yes- same story! I didn't realise that when I posted about the rats. But the rats got me to thinking about the emerods

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gail

• phkrause

• D. Allan

• carolaa

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Nazareth to Bethlehem is approximately 70 miles as the crow flies. As the donkey trots, it's about a three-day trip.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

The Lord descended on Mt. Sinai with fire. Ex.19:18

• Administrators

The familiar story of Jesus saying, "If any of of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her" (John 7:53-8:11) is found nowhere else in the Bible. In fact, it isn't even found in many manuscripts of the Gospels.

• Administrators

Jonah lost his shade to a hungry worm- Jonah 4:6-8

• Administrators

Solomon was made king before David died- 1 Ki.1:43

• Administrators

Lamech was the first polygamist- Genesis 4:19

• Administrators

I found this- but tell me if it seems right to you:

Esau's third wife, Mahalath, was also his cousin Ishmael's daughter- Gen.28:9

Esau & Jacob were Isaac's children. Isaac and Ishmael were 1/2 brothers. Does that make Ishmael and Esau cousins, or was Ishmael an uncle to Esau?

• Administrators

That's what it seemed like to me... Oh, well!

Jonah wasn't the only one sent to Nineveh. Nahum also ministered there- Nahum 1:1

I found this- but tell me if it seems right to you:

Esau's third wife, Mahalath, was also his cousin Ishmael's daughter- Gen.28:9

Esau & Jacob were Isaac's children. Isaac and Ishmael were 1/2 brothers. Does that make Ishmael and Esau cousins, or was Ishmael an uncle to Esau?

In my version New American Standard, it doesn't say anything about cousins.

However, maybe your text was supposed to have read like this:

Esau's third wife, Mahalath was also his cousin, Ishmael's daughter.

Perhaps that comma got put in the wrong place too??

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Administrators

It very well could be!

• Administrators

In Old Testament times people wore sackcloth so other people would know they were in mourning. 2 Sam.3:31

(Sackcloth today would be like what a 50 lb. bag of potatoes or onions comes in)

• Administrators

Joshua made the Gibeonites be woodcutters and water carriers for the Israelites as a curse- Joshua 9:23 (Good story!)

• Administrators

Jair, a judge of Israel, had 30 sons who rode 30 donkeys, and controlled 30 towns. Judges 10:3-4

• Administrators

When Jesus died, saints rose from the dead and walked around Jerusalem- Matthew 27:52,53

• Administrators

God described the people in Nineveh as not knowing their left from their right- Jonah 4:11

• Administrators

Luke was a medical doctor- Col.4:14

• Administrators

In ancient Israel, men closed a deal by exchanging sandals. Ruth 4:7

Amazing! That is something to think about... To show that they mutually wish each other to be satisfied with the deal?

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Administrators

I think the custom may have been covered at one time in the Biblical Lifestyles forum, but I'll get back to you on that! I can't remember how the custom came about.

David's warriors could shoot arrows right and left-handed.

1 Chron.12:2

• Administrators

Obed's grandmother Naomi was his nurse when he was a baby.

Ruth 4:6

• Administrators

Now, about the sandal...

Traditionally, when a woman's husband died who had no son, it was the dead husband's brother's duty to take the young widow as a wife, and have children with her in order that the dead brother's name might carry on through the children.

In Ruth's case, the nearest relative to Ruth through her dead husband did not want to do this. The custom was that because of this Ruth was entitled to take him before the city elders, tell him, spit in his face and take away one of his sandals (Deut.25:6-10).

But by Ruth's time this practise had become more symbolic than insulting and Boaz took care of the matter himself, saving Ruth the confrontation. In spite of this the shirker still had to walk home without one of his sandals.

<< In spite of this the shirker still had to walk home without one of his sandals. >>

Serves him right! :)

Thanks for looking that up. Facinating!

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Administrators

In the entire book of Esther, God is not mentioned once.