ClubAdventist is back!

My dad is back in the hospital

Doug

He wasn't feeling good down below, went in for a colonoscopy on Thursday. Preliminary results are colon cancer, and possibly the early stages of lung cancer. Someone told me that it might have spread from his colon to his lungs, which doesn't seem possible, it makes me sick to even talk about it. I can't think straight anymore. It6 doesn't make sense that he would get lung cancer on his own, he has never smoked in his life. All I can do is pray.

Thanks

I lost my mom, to cancer 15 years ago. i am hoping that cancer treatment has made huge advances in 15 years. I have been reading up and they say that once you make it 5 years you are considered cured.

• Administrators

I'm so sorry to hear this! I will lift him up in prayer

May the peace and the power of the Lord be made manifest with his situation

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

So sorry about the news. That cancer is a fiendish disease. I've even heard there's a type of lung cancer which attacks only NON-smokers. Your family is having more than its share.

I'll pray that you dad will have some relief from pain and some successful treatment for the disease.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

Really sorry to hear this news. You and your Dad will be in my prayers...

• Members

Same here. As a matter of fact CA is on our praylist as well.

pkrause

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Thank you all. Updated. My pastor came and prayed with us, lots of people are praying now. I talked to him yesterday, he seems pretty positive about it, which is good.

I have some issues I need to work out with my family, mostly with them not really keeping in contact with him then all of a sudden acting like they cared all along. It bothers me a lot, so mufch that I have to struggle to keep my temper in control when I talk to them, I don't want to say something that I will regret later. The only people I am sure really care are my aunt in Canada, and another family friend we call aunt who lives in L.A.

They gave him 2 options, chemo and radiation or actually removing the lower part of the colon that is affected, making him use a colostomy. He decided that he wants to use the first option, so when his lungs get better he will have to go to a rest home, hopefully temporarily. He said that the social worker was telling him about the possibility of getting someone to help him at home. My aunt in Canada wants him to come live with her, she is a RN and is already taking care of someone so we will see.

Which means that the writing is on the wall it is time to consider leaving home, go to school and get on with my life. Neither my brother or I can take care of him. My brother (who lives with us) already decided a few months ago to quit his job, take out a loan and finish school, either get an a partment or use on campus housing. I never expected for everything to stay the same, I just figured I had a few more years, funny how things change in a few weeks.

• Moderators

I often look back at my prayer journal from years ago and find that the problems which consumed me the most, and about which my most fervent prayers were offered, have now, in retrospect been solved. "Before they call, I will answer," says the Lord. God was already in the process of taking care of those things but I didn't realize it yet. In fact, I probably didn't even realize it was being worked out at the time!

Your father's care is now being mapped out, and the treatment modalities are being decided. It's apparently going to turn out that some of the burden for his immediate care will be lifted off your shoulders, perhaps. But as you say, the suddenness of all these changes is frightening. The unknown is always so scary.

We can remind ourselves that we don't have to [personally] be in control of everything; that God will be in charge of Dad's convalescence; that our other relatives who've been so unfeeling will probably continue to be that way regardless of how it hurts us to watch; that those relatives will also probably come 'out of the woodwork' to try to get any money in Dad's estate after he's gone....etc., etc. Such things as those are what I try to prepare myself for, in advance of the actual occurrence. In other words, I just plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Even if things don't work out perfectly, at least we know heaven is waiting for us when our life work is done; and all the rest of that other extra "bad stuff" is just something we can't control, so we can give it over to God.

Moving out from the home you've known your whole life is a big change, in the best of times. Now it's ending up you'll have to do it mostly on your own. Looking for housing, for schooling, or for a career path or location; all these are something like diving off a high diving board into a deep pool. Frightening; but when it's done and finished, you can look back with a sense of pride and accomplishment. THAT's how self-esteem grows: Doing something difficult, and completing it.

Please let us here on C/A know if there's anything we can help you with. I'd love to talk with you by PM if you care to do so.

In Christian love,

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

I'd love to talk with you by PM if you care to do so.

In Christian love,

Please I would appreciate that.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad accepted Christ as his savior Sunday night. I still can't believe it. I had prayed for this a long time ago, I thought he was pretty resistant against it. Then Sunday 2 of my brothers friends mothers came and visited him. When they came out they told me the good news, it is surreal. I can rest easier knowing his soul is safe.

• Members

Praise the Lord. He is so patient with us.

pkrause

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}