ClubAdventist is back!

Pray for my grandfather

DrWhoCompanion

My grandfather, Walter, was in a serious car accident Friday night. No one can fathom how he made it. He's still in critical condition and is right now undergoing another surgery. He still hadn't been conscious.

I can't tell you all how upset we all are right now.

• Moderators

That is really sad news, DWC. It is so sad to see one of our honored elder folk go through pain like that, especially when you want them to enjoy their golden years. I am sure many of us here are praying for Walter. I am.

Hugs,

LD

12 cars involved in fiery crash Friday

MANGLED REMAINS A Graysville man is in stable condition at Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga after he was involved in a fiery crash Friday evening on Rhea County Highway in front of Wal-Mart. A wrecker driver, David Nelson, ran a red light at the intersection with Wal-Mart and Dayco Crossing and smashed into a Buick LeSabre (above) driven by Walter Coulter of Graysville, according to Dayton Traffic Investigator Dean Smith. Those vehicles smashed into others, ultimately damaging 12 vehicles and sending five to area hospitals. (Photo by Dean Wilson)

By: John B. Carpenter

Source: The Herald-News

10-31-2007

“God was watching over them, otherwise they all could have been killed,” said the mother of a 10-year-old girl who narrowly escaped death in a dramatic car crash Friday night. “It’s a shame that someone was in such a hurry they ran a red light and could have killed a lot of people.”

A 12-car wreck on Rhea County Highway in front of Wal-Mart left one car in flames, vehicles and auto parts strewn across the highway and tied up traffic for about four hours Friday evening.

Because of the number of vehicles involved, Dayton Traffic Investigator Dean Smith and fellow officers spent several hours after the crash taking photographs and measurements and taking statements from several eyewitnesses.

David Nelson, 32, of Dayton Avenue, Graysville, was driving a 1999 International rollback wrecker north on Rhea County Highway for Wendell Watson’s Garage in Evensville. Nelson had a 1991 Mercury Cougar on the rollback and was towing a1998 Chevrolet Blazer, according to Smith (See traffic diagram on page A-12).

Walter Coulter, 83, of South Pope Street, Graysville, was stopped in his 2002 Buick LeSabre in the left turn lane leading out of the Wal-Mart parking lot.

As Coulter entered the intersection to head south on Rhea County Highway at about 6:25 p.m., Nelson’s wrecker slammed into the front quarter panel on the driver’s side, Smith said.

Coulter’s Buick spun around after the massive impact and rolled south in the northbound lane before it crossed the center line and struck a southbound 1988 Chevrolet pickup driven by Edward Clark of Shelton Street, Graysville. The engine compartment of the Buick then burst into flames.

Following the initial impact, the Blazer Nelson was towing broke loose from the wrecker, rolled through the southbound lanes, into the Dayco Crossing parking lot in front of Goody’s and struck two parked cars there. Fortunately, no one was in the 2005 Dodge Durango and 1999 Chevrolet pickup at the time.

After colliding with Coulter’s Buick, the wrecker veered left and struck a 2004 Ford F350 pickup in the southbound lane. The truck was stopped while its driver, James Lettner of Lower Cove Loop, Dayton, waited to turn left into the Wal-Mart parking lot.

When the wrecker hit the Ford F350, the Cougar on the back of the wrecker broke loose, slid off the wrecker and came to rest in the southbound lane.

After colliding with the Ford F350, the wrecker continued on through the southbound lanes and down a small slope into the Dayco Crossing parking lot where it struck four parked cars in front of Radio Shack, Game Stop and Nail Club.

No one was in the 1992 Oldsmobile sedan, the 2001 Toyota Sequoiah and the 1996 Saturn struck by the wrecker, but the Fielden family of Pine Ridge Drive, Dayton, was just getting out of their 2007 Dodge Nitro.

Christopher and Candi Fielden were there with their 9-year-old daughter, Christen, and her friend, Tara Wilkey, 10, of Pine Hollow Drive, Dayton. They had just gotten out of the three-week-old SUV to go into Game Stop when the wrecker came sliding toward the Nitro.

Candi Fielden reached out and pulled Wilkey back into the SUV just as the wrecker crashed into the side of the Nitro where Wilkey had been standing just seconds earlier, according to Smith.

“Thank God Candi thought fast,” Cindy Wilkey, Tara’s mother, said Tuesday. “Tara just froze, but Candi threw Tara into the car and yelled for everyone else to get back in. I am so thankful to God. In seconds, they could have just not been there.”

The Nitro was sandwiched between the wrecker and the Saturn, and all four occupants had to climb out of the driver’s side door.

Tara was going to spend the night with the Fieldens while her mother planned her birthday party for Saturday. Tara turned 11 on Sunday. In all, five people were transported to hospitals for treatment.

Coulter was trapped in his LeSabre while the engine compartment was fully engulfed in flames. Passing motorists Larry Massengale and James Graves were able to force open the car door and pull Coulter from the wreckage.

Paramedics with Rhea Emergency Medical Service treated Coulter until a LifeForce medical helicopter landed on the highway to transport him to Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga. He underwent emergency surgery Friday night and Saturday morning and was in stable condition at Erlanger Tuesday. He will apparently need several more surgeries in the months ahead, according to Smith.

Nelson and Lettner were both transported to Rhea Medical Center by Rhea Emergency Medical Service for treatment of minor injuries and were released later that evening.

Tara Wilkey and Christen Fielden were transported to Rhea Medical Center by Graysville First Responders and were treated and released.

Although Nelson claimed he had a green light, Smith said that, based on witness statements, he believes Nelson ran through a red light before crashing into Coulter’s car. The traffic investigator said he will cite Nelson for failure to yield the right of way.

John Carpenter can be reached at jcarpenter@xtn.net. Here's the link.

I will keep your grandfather in my prayers. I live here in chattanooga. So we will be praying in the church also. Heard about the crash but have not been on forum. Praise the Lord for watching over everyone. Also be praying for your family. Is he related to Scott Coulter?

Hi Rita!

Thank you!

Pappy has many, many brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews so we may very well be related to Scott. I'll ask around.

He's at Erlanger, having surgery at the moment. We're going back down in a day or two. My grandmother, Patsy, has been very strong but that's the same hospital her brother, then sister were in over the summer. Neither of them made it. She's starting to really come apart here and there.

Thanks again, everyone.

Carrie

Carrie, am praying for your grandfather and for the surgeons who would perform the surgeries. We'll also pray for your grandma, to stay strong and have good courage despite this difficult time.

Thank you both! You don't know how much you're appreciated.

The next hurdle is getting him weaned off the ventilator and into a room.

Will keep you posted. This truly has been a nightmare.

• 5 weeks later...

He's off the ventilator now. Still very out of it. They got him to take a few steps the other day! It's absolutely nothing short of a miracle! It's been 6 weeks today. My grandmother keeps saying he'll be home by Christmas.

Can you believe it? I was so shocked when my grandmother told me, I kept asking her what she had said. I was certain I was misunderstanding!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers!

Happy Sabbath, PKrause, and to all of you!

Quote:
He's been walking & talking!

Having worked in Rehab for 17 years .... I can tell you that we are made in a spectacular way. The body can heal itself in such wonderful ways. You can lose SO much and then gain much of it back. Not always. But the Lord made our bodys to be resilient.

It is equally interesting how the body shuts down in order to protect itself. Jesus knew what HE was doing when He made us . Praise God.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I just cannot believe an 83 year-old man, or ANYONE could survive that. Let alone be doing what he's doing. My understanding of science and medicine and how our bodies work only deepens my awe at at Maker.