ClubAdventist is back!

Chavez & Venezuela

Dr. Shane

We need to keep tomorrow's election in our prayers. We see a lot of news about Venezuela on the Spanish news we watch. Chavez has really been getting hard on religion there as the Catholic church is his biggest opposition. Unfortunately, he doesn't just target the Catholic church but our church has had problems with his government too.

Chavez Supporters Rally Ahead of Vote

Quote:
Chavez asked supporters to approve the reforms he said could keep him in power until 2050 - when he would be 95 years old...

Human Rights Watch warned the reforms would threaten fundamental rights, citing one revision allowing the president to declare indefinite states of emergency during which the government could detain citizens without charge and censor the media.

"These amendments would enable President Chavez to suspend basic rights indefinitely by maintaining a perpetual state of emergency," said Jose Miguel Vivanco of the New York-based group.

...in contrast to past elections, when the opposition has boycotted votes or been split on whether to participate, this time many opposition leaders are emboldened and urging voters to turn out in large numbers.

The government and the opposition both cite polls suggesting their side is in the lead, raising tensions ahead of the referendum.

University students have led protests and occasionally clashed with police and Chavista groups. One man was shot dead Monday while trying to get through a road blocked by protesters.

The opposition also has been heartened by some recent defections from Chavez's movement, including former Defense Minister Gen. Raul Baduel. Even Chavez's ex-wife, Marisabel Rodriguez, has urged Venezuelans to vote "no."

About 100 electoral observers from 39 countries in Latin America, Europe and the United States are on hand, plus hundreds of Venezuelan observers, the National Electoral Council said.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Yes Taylor ... Your parents and the school are in my prayers.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Chavez Seeks Sweeping Changes in Vote

Opponents - including Roman Catholic leaders, press freedom groups, human rights groups and prominent business leaders - fear the reforms would grant Chavez unchecked power and threaten basic rights.

The changes would create new forms of communal property, extend presidential terms from six to seven years and let Chavez seek re-election in 2012 and beyond.

They would also grant Chavez control over the Central Bank, allow his government to detain citizens without charge during a state of emergency, and empower him to redraw the country's political map and handpick provincial and municipal leaders.

Well, I guess now the only questions is...

Did God answer the Adventist prayers or the Catholic prayers? scared

Wow, quite a defeat! Chavez got 3 million less votes for his reforms than he got in his presidential election last year.

That is an Obvious question Shane. With an obvious answer. But it depends upon your view of prayer ........ and of God ..... and of Adventists.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.