ClubAdventist is back!

Church Dress Code

Dr. Shane

Should a dress code be established by the local church for those that are in front of the congregation, ushers, sabbath school teachers, greeters, etc.?

I have been rebuked at one church for wearing shorts to AY (Adventist Youth) and saw an usher wearing shorts in another congregation. I was in a church once that kept a spare tie so if someone that needed to get up in front didn't have one he could borrow the spare.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I think this is culturally and economically driven. We need to look our best in the Lord's house but that doesn't require a tuxedo. I think it should be neat, clean, and presentable...probably the best we have to wear to the event. I also think that if, economically we can afford to "dress appropriatly" we should do so in every instance. I mean, would someone meet the president of the USA in cutoffs and a muscle shirt? Doubtful.

However, I also think there is a huge difference between an 11 oclock church service, a church service at a campground, or a social.

I also don't think we should rebuke people but be grateful they are in church. I know I have attended some Sabbath evening concerts wearing someting I would never normally wear to church...because we ended up on a far longer hike than we anticipated or we didn't know about the program in advance...and happened to be walking past one of the many SDA churches in our area and so we slipped into the back and enjoyed the service and got a blessing. I am grateful someone didn't rebuke me for wearing jeans and tennis shoes. It was not my intent to go to church wearing that but it happened and I didn't want to miss out on the blessing of church due to my attire.

I've also been in some very poor places of this world where I have intentionally dressed down for church so as not to make the local people feel inferior because they didn't have as nice of clothes to wear to church.

Well in some countries, wearing a tie is a matter of respect. It is cultural and yes they will have a tie that each person puts on before coming out on the platform. They don't see it like American's would see that. They are so happy to wear the tie as it means they are being professional in their leadership of the church. To them it isn't descrimination, they wouldn't think of doing it any other way no matter whether it was church or a speaking part at a social gathering. However, in the audience will be people who are barefooted and certainly don't have a tie and they are more than welcomed.

I think we need to do our best to be culturally sensitive to the particular and individual church that we attend. I don't think God has the rules. I think we make them.

And I also think that I would meet the US President in jeans. I see him in jeans frequently. He would be honored. There is a time and a place.

The most important issue here is not to judge and not to make the rules for someone else.

Some here have suggested that if it's not in the Bible then we should not do it. And I don't see any mention of jeans or of ties and suits in the Bible.

So, that settles it. I think we can wear or not wear as we please.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I have preached for 15-years without a tie. I don't consider a tie a moral issue, I guess.

Shorts? Never wear `em, never got in the habit (unless swimmin).

OG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

I think we need to do our best to be culturally sensitive to the particular and individual church that we attend. I don't think God has the rules. I think we make them.

And I also think that I would meet the US President in jeans. I see him in jeans frequently. He would be honored. There is a time and a place.

The most important issue here is not to judge and not to make the rules for someone else.

Some here have suggested that if it's not in the Bible then we should not do it. And I don't see any mention of jeans or of ties and suits in the Bible.

So, that settles it. I think we can wear or not wear as we please.

Well put....the only thing I do see in the Bible is that they wore robes so I guess maybe we need to look a bit more like catholic priests in robes. :) Just kidding.

I have preached for 15-years without a tie. I don't consider a tie a moral issue, I guess.

OG

I was born preachin and I was born with nuffin on but my birthday suit. God made me that way ... so I figured I could preach that way.

I believe in Hematology.

Redwood you are a case. rofl

I just hope that my issue wasn't a moral issue either. I WAS young.

I believe in Hematology.

Hi,

I am SURE that you meant you preach in your birthday suit while you are in the shower.......that would be totally appropriate!!

Morning Glory

Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life.

• Moderators

Quote:
I am SURE that you meant you preach in your birthday suit while you are in the shower.......that would be totally appropriate!!

I am not certain that we may assume that.

In Colorado we have a priest who is on trial for going jogging in his birthday suit. He has pled not-quilty as he says that he has a medical condition that causes him to sweat when he jogs and he is therefore not comfortable to jog while wearing clothes.

Gregory

I prefer wearing a little bit of clothing to mop up the sweat as I'm preaching ... opposed to total nudity.

I believe in Hematology.

Actually Taylor .... I can do my preaching here online with just a towel at my side to mop up the sweat.

I believe in Hematology.

Taylor ... are you referring to the sponge?

Just kidding olger ... just trying a little Neil humor.

Don't worry ... you are loved here.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

The preachers wear floral Hawaiian shirts, no ties, with their dress slacks in the Hawaiian SDA churches. Sometimes they wear leis; sometimes not.

It's totally appropriate. The weather is warm and humid, and the churches have no (refrigerated) air conditioning, just louvered windows and ceiling fans.

Many Filipino preachers preach wearing their "dress whites" which consist of white silk shirts, buttoning in front, not tucked inside their trousers.

Neckties are not de rigeur in order to show reverence in the sanctuary.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

there seems to be a bit of an influx of hawwian shirts being worn to church and a tad at the pulpit in my conservative California area.

A few in my church are getting miffed by it.

anyhoo..

Now the colder weather is here and I dont see any more of those shirts but wait till spring!!!

I wore a nice solid purple shirt with long sleeves with my black slacks to church a few times and the former pasture kept saying it was too loud.

It did look a bit 'eighties'. I got it at the GOODWILL for three bucks(its hard to find a shirt that fits a big guy like me at a thrift store with a working poor income in expensive California)). His dress shirt was nice and quiet but it cost about forty or more.

Is color a criteria?

It looked good against my skin. and it didnt show any man cleavage.

I know that JESUS does like the colour!!!

All progress in the Spiritual Life is knowing and Loving GOD

"there is non upon earth that I desire besides YOU" PS 73:25

That perspective changes EVERYTHING-suffering and adversity are the means that makes us hungry for GOD. Disapointments will wean us away wordly occupations. Even sin(when repented of) becomes a mechanism to push us closer to HIM as we experience His Love and Forgiveness.

Hmmm a Dress Code...

Wore what Jesus wore as an example?

How would that go over?

You know, that's a really interesting point. Jesus wore the clothing of his culture. Hmmm. Maybe that could apply to another thread where they were talking about bonnets and veils.