ClubAdventist is back!

OVERUSE

Guest charis

break-1.gif This is a rant.

Begin rant:

I don't know if anyone else is getting very tired of reading a thread and then all of a sudden, up pops off-the-wall quotes from EGW. It's annoying to me. And reminds me of the way EGW was batted around as the goddess of Adventism when I went to school. Not only is it annoying, but quite unnecessary if someone asks a theological question. If I ask a question, I don't want to see a litany of EGW quotes. She has her place in Adventism, but it certainly is not the train's engine. In the caboose, perhaps?

bigsigh

Thank you. End of rant. peace

Hey ... I thought this was an Adventist forum. As in Club Adventist. And she does seem to be the most quoted author in Adventist circles especially with theological issues.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Begin rant:

I don't know if anyone else is getting very tired of reading a thread and then all of a sudden, up pops off-the-wall quotes from EGW. It's annoying to me. And reminds me of the way EGW was batted around as the goddess of Adventism when I went to school. Not only is it annoying, but quite unnecessary if someone asks a theological question. If I ask a question, I don't want to see a litany of EGW quotes. She has her place in Adventism, but it certainly is not the train's engine. In the caboose, perhaps?

bigsigh

Not only annoying but for those that never get past incomplete quotes very misleading. Those that don't like her words being used all of the time to discuss a biblical statement/belief are the very ones to continually bring her to the forefront to prove once again that EW is placed above the bible

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

Begin rant:

bigsigh

I would not quote Ellen White to you because I know you don't like it; but for those who have shown an interest in knowing what Ellen White says on a topic, I think it is perfectly appropriate to quote her. If, on the other hand, someone requests that Ellen White not be mentioned or quoted, then I think we have a responsibility to follow his request in any posts addressed to that individual.

Regards,

"John 3: 17"

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

16_6_8.gif

Guess what? I don't give a rat's behind what she says. I will NOT rise to de Bait.

Well ... I guess variety is the spice of life. Some like her some don't. But I am sure that the author of your choice would also be appreciated by some here ... including me. Two of my favorites are Phillip Yancey and Tim Hansel.

Should I start a thead on those two authors. They are not SDAs but they are very spiritual.

I believe in Hematology.

I give up. eusa_hand.gif

I think it was Pam in another thread that mentioned difficulty in dealing with passive-aggressive people.

Personally I think this is in part what was referred to.

It is also quite rude to be so flippant when answering someone that is anything but on a topic. Really minimizes anything they may feel or say on the subject quite passively of course

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

John317, I just happened to notice this thread. As for EGW . . . she is by far the single most authoritative writer on issues regarding the Seventh-day Adventist church, and on issues addressed in the Bible. She is an inspired source of truth from God--'God-breathed.' If a person is interested in knowing, 'what is truth,' then her writings should be welcome. Aside from that, this is a forum, in which the presentation and exchange of ideas, and various perspectives, are expected. It would seem inappropriate and in fact controlling to attempt to squelch information which is so relevant and so accurate. Or, for anyone to say, 'I don't want to hear about so-and-so.' Something like that might be appropriate in a private discussion, but not on a public forum.

Dave

John317, It would seem inappropriate and in fact controlling to attempt to squelch information which is so relevant and so accurate. Or, for anyone to say, 'I don't want to hear about so-and-so.' Something like that might be appropriate in a private discussion, but not on a public forum.

Dave

I realize this was to John but was hoping you could answer what you consider so relevant and accurate about inserting EW quotes where only a small negative portion of what is said is used?

Nothing about any of the quotes in question would lead most that are not well versed in EW writings to consider her much of an authority on anything.

Redwood is very adament about keeping to topic. Inserting EW at every turn is not really doing so,or maybe it is if you want this type of a impression left

Well, speaking from the point of view of an academic, who is interested in accuracy and in as complete a picture as possible of whatever may be the subject of inquiry, ANY information that bears upon the subject should be presented. The only issue of concern would be to make sure that whatever source is cited is accurately presented. Thus, when I cite to a lexicon, I quote the entire article, typically, or at least as much of a general article as bears on the specific question--not, repeat NOT snippets.

Dave

P.S.: I should add that to my observation, some lifetime SDA's have issues with EGW. There is baggage. That baggage should be discarded. It is subjective, and can interfere with the quest for truth.

I don't disagree with what you have said for the most part. But partial truths on any topic does not serve anyone well.

I do not care and am not in charge of making any accept EW's place within the denomination.

Many do have baggage concerning EW and rightfully so. Most deal with it openly and honestly.

It seems many want to treat this as a bit of humor or it is just being Redwood. Sorry, maybe I am being unfair to Redwood but I do not think humor or a personal belief in the validity of what EW had to say or in her role as prophet as some see her is the reason for going to so many topics and placing this little snippets of partial statements.

It is not done here to any other faith or belief system.

If any were to start in the same way concerning Muslims/Islam it would be seen as a whole lot different.

We act as if there is more respect no matter how outlandish the belief of others.

If you are going to take the time to answer someone and do so in a flippant manner as was done to charis so as to minimize a stated concern, it is just plain rude.

I object ... I feel I am being ...

Quote:
"made the subject of many a rude, mocking jest." AA 448

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
"Harmless and undefiled, He walked among the thoughtless, the rude, the uncourteous ; amid the unjust publicans, the reckless prodigals, the unrighteous Samaritans, the heathen soldiers, the rough peasants, and the mixed multitude. He spoke a word of sympathy here and a word there , as He saw men weary, yet compelled to bear heavy burdens. He shared their burdens, and repeated to them the lessons He had learned from nature, of the love, the kindness, the goodness of God." CSA 9.8

I believe in Hematology.

Maybe it would be helpful if you isolated this to one thread and then just kept posting on this topic. You could go for days I am sure.

I am not sure what your point is to keep it going, but have at it. There are many "adult children" that are not happy unless they are the center of attention.

Now is there something else you would like to say. Direct and to the point like an adult or are you going to keep waving your hand to make sure everyone notices??

Quote:
There are many "adult children" that are not happy unless they are the center of attention.

As long as you want to provide it for me ... then fine I won't be frightened away. I did try to improve for you. I knew you didn't like "snippets" so I posted the entire paragraph. Or did you need more.

I believe in Hematology.

Begin rant:

bigsigh

If I didn't think they were so funny, I might agree with you. I haven't gotten the impression that the off-the-wall, partial quotes are intended to portray EW as a goddess of Adventism. Quite the opposite. In fact, it's typically the ones who get offended by them that put her on a pedestal.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate EW, and I'm pretty sure Redwood does too, in his own way. But what's wrong with having a little fun with her? I can't imagine that anyone takes those snippets seriously. The people who annoy me are the ones with no sense of humor. Oh, and the ones who post lengthy quotes - I mean, really, can't we just give the reference instead of quoting the whole page?! I'm betting the people who care probably have all the books or CDs. (ok redwood this is your cue to insert a quote on the evils of gambling - ROFL )

hmmm... glassestip.gif hmm.. we seem to be having an influx of time travellers... 4.gif

Quote:
But what's wrong with having a little fun with her?

There are other people who visit this forum maybe only once or twice.. If Adventism relies so much on the writings of EGW, how do you suppose it looks to outsiders when we use her writings in a snarky way just to get a *laugh*?

Many do have baggage concerning EW and rightfully so.

As Seventh-day Adventists, we have the greatest message ever entrusted to humans, to share with the world. Rev. 14:6,7. At the very time the world needs what SDA's have to offer, SO MANY are wrapped up with their own private demons, their own baggage, and thus the light from heaven is not being shared with the world. Those invited to the feast have declined to come, therefore God raises up others to replace them, to give the invitation. I work with non-SDA's, primarily. They LOVE EGW, and appreciate her writings. It is the 'sadventists' who seem to have a problem with her. But aside from that, I really haven't followed whatever is being referred to as 'funny' use of EGW??? but at the same time, I have not seen viciousness or meanness displayed by the ones complained of--and THAT is what would get my attention.

Dave

hmmm... glassestip.gif hmm.. we seem to be having an influx of time travellers... 4.gif

Time travelers? Sorry, I don't get it. But sometimes I'm a little slow.

Quote:

There are other people who visit this forum maybe only once or twice.. If Adventism relies so much on the writings of EGW, how do you suppose it looks to outsiders when we use her writings in a snarky way just to get a *laugh*?

Well, maybe they would think we can laugh at ourselves....

Originally Posted By: charis

Time travelers? Sorry, I don't get it. But sometimes I'm a little slow.

no, you're fine

Quote:

it is disrespectful, IMHO

Quote:

Well, maybe they would think we can laugh at ourselves...

I would venture to guess that if an Adventist is giving Bible study lessons, and introduces EGW as one of the founders of Adventism, and then comes on the forum and reads the "laugh at Ellen" comments, you've just destroyed someone's witnessing efforts. IMHO

Quote:
If Adventism relies so much on the writings of EGW, how do you suppose it looks to outsiders when we use her writings in a snarky way just to get a *laugh*?

The comment implies that we rely "so much" on her writings. I would say that we need to portray that we rely on the writings of the Bible which is what Ellen White would say if she was alive. Some will try to abuse her and say SHE is the one we should rely on.

I think that if we think of EGW as equal to scripture then we might be offended if there is humor. But if we rightly view her then I think others will be drawn rather than withdrawn. No one wants an extra-Biblical authority as Pope. That does not draw anyone. Those who are hyper-sensitive at any humor would appear to be promoting this concept.

Meanwhile ... the rest of us will have a good laugh. It is interesting that quoting Ellen White is described as meanness. I am not sure she would like that.

However .. I will continue to quote her just as some quote her or the Bible. No one quotes the entire chapter of the Bible. Nor does anyone quote "ALL that Ellen White says on a subject" as suggested I should do. NO. I will quote and the rest of you can give more from the reference that I give. And you can also add any commentary that you want.

That is what this is all about here. Discussion and contributions. I have NO responsibility to give the entire story as you personally might view it. WE all view it differently. I will give my portion ... YOU give yours. Don't condemn me for not giving your particualar view. I leave that up to you to do.

I am amazed that I have been given such power to discourage people. Folks, you need to study the Bible for YOURSELVES. Don't depend upon me or even the leadership of the church. And now I will quote a little snippet of Ellen White just for good measure.

Quote:
"We must not trust to others to search the Scriptures for us. Some of our leading brethren have frequently taken their position on the wrong side" GW 303

I believe in Hematology.

I don't do amalgamations. But if that is what you like ... to each his own. And I always provide cites of where the quote is located. In your case ... a compiled conglomeration or amalgamation of quotes.

I believe in Hematology.