ClubAdventist is back!

Un Mot par Jour

D. Allan

Then on the other hand, being Rimbaud, he may have suddenly found that he no longer had a taste for beauty.

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D. Allan

• Gail

• John317

• Amelia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

My husband had an "expérience amère"...

He was married to a Barbie doll once. Then she dumped him.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

Hi D. Allen,

Could you please do us a favor on CA and post some simple steps as to how one goes about posting images or pictures on a regular thread such as this one?

I've noticed your expertise and I know a lot of people, including myself, don't know how to do it.

Thank you in advance for your great help.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

If it is a picture saved on your computor:

1. go to "full reply" on C/A

2. click on "File Manager"

3. a small screen will pop up,

4. click on "Browse"

5. an other small screen, this time of your files on your computer, will pop up, select the file you want and then click on open in that screen.

6. now back on the "File Manager", the first screen that popped up, click on "add File"

7. Wait

8. when the title of your file appears at the top in black then click on "done adding."

9. before clicking "submit" in C/A's "full reply" mode, put something in the reply, any thing just so it is not blank otherwise it will make you start all over again.

10. Press the Submit button.

whew! it's not bad after the 1st time. good luck!

dAb

My husband had an "expérience amère"...

He was married to a Barbie doll once. Then she dumped him.

I know others who have had the same bitter experience with beauty... I've been lucky. My beauty has alway been sweet.

dAb

valmorejeune.jpg

Les Séparés

by Marceline Desbordes-Valmore (1786-1859) and Louis Simpson

N'écris pas. Je suis triste, et je voudrais m'éteindre.

Les beaux étés sans toi, c'est la nuit sans flambeau.

J'ai refermé mes bras qui ne peuvent t'atteindre,

Et frapper à mon coeur, c'est frapper au tombeau.

N'écris pas!

N'écris pas. N'apprenons qu'à mourir à nous-mêmes.

Ne demande qu'à Dieu . . . qu'à toi, si je t'aimais!

Au fond de ton absence écouter que -tu m'aimes,

C'est entendre le ciel sans y monter jamais.

N'écris pas!

N'écris pas. Je te crains; j'ai peur de ma mémoire;

Elle a gardé ta voix qui m'appelle souvent.

Ne montre pas l'eau vive à qui ne peut la boire.

Une chère écriture est un portrait vivant.

N'écris pas!

N'écris pas ces doux mots que je n'ose plus lire:

Il semble que ta voix les répand sur mon coeur;

Que je les vois brûler à travers ton sourire;

Il semble qu'un baiser les empreint sur mon coeur.

N'écris pas!

Apart

Do not write. I am sad, and want my light put out.

Summers in your absence are as dark as a room.

I have closed my arms again. They must do without.

To knock at my heart is like knocking at a tomb.

Do not write!

Do not write. Let us learn to die, as best we may.

Did I love you? Ask God. Ask yourself. Do you know?

To hear that you love me, when you are far away,

Is like hearing from heaven and never to go.

Do not write!

Do not write. I fear you. I fear to remember,

For memory holds the voice I have often heard.

To the one who cannot drink, do not show water,

The beloved one's picture in the handwritten word.

Do not write!

Do not write those gentle words that I dare not see,

It seems that your voice is spreading them on my heart,

Across your smile, on fire, they appear to me,

It seems that a kiss is printing them on my heart.

Do not write!

Translation from Modern Poets of France: A Bilingual Anthology, edited and translated by Louis Simpson, published by Story Line Press, 1997.

More about Mr. Simpson : http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/86

More about the French poetess : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marceline_Desbordes-Valmore

and http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marceline_Desbordes-Valmore

http://www.desbordes-valmore.net/

dAb

se vanter de

to boast of, brag about

« Avoir un ami n’est pas quelque chose dont tout le monde peut se vanter. » –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Having a friend is not something that everyone is able to boast of.

« Alors, peut-être, il peut se vanter de son courage, car il n'ignore pas la fin qui lui est réservée. » - George Sand, Lélia

Then, perhaps, he may brag about his courage, because he is not unaware of the end that awaits him.

« Il m’a rendu des services mais il s’en vante trop. »

He has done favors for me but he brags about it too much.

« Les femmes basques du Sud peuvent se vanter d'être la population avec une espérance de vie la plus haute de l'Union Européenne des 25. » 14/08/2007 -http://www.iparralde.eu/iparralde/2007/08/index.html

Basque women of [Pays Basque Sud] the South may boast of being the population with the highest life expectance in the European Union of the 25 [countries.]

dAb

04090089.jpg

outil (oo-tee), noun, masculine

tool

machine-outil, machine tool

outil à main, hand tool

caisse à outil, tool box

« à mauvais ouvrier point de bons outils »

a bad workman blames his tools (lit.: for a bad workman, no good tools)

« A la terre, notre planète, à l'habitacle de l'homme, il faut la secousse; et la douleur est plus souvent encore nécessaire comme étant le plus puissant outil de Dieu ; - oui (et il me regardait avec un air solennel), elle est indispensable aux enfants mystérieux de la terre ! » - Charles Baudelaire, Les Paradis Artificiels

“On the Earth, our planet, the habitation of man, trembling must occur; and suffering is still more necessary as being the most powerful tool of God; - yes (and he looked at me with solemnity), it is essential for the mysterious children of Earth!”

dAb

• Administrators

Re: se vanter de

The reason that the "de" is included is to let you know which little preposition follows the verb. This is because they VARY, and it's hard to remember which verbs use which little prepositions. Some verbs take "de" and some take "à" and some can take either depending on the context.

You can see an example of this verb in the King James Version in 1 Corinthians 13- the love chapter. Verse 4 says:

"Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up"

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

The above was one instance where learning a foreign language helped improve my understanding of my mother tongue.

0stonemasonry-1.jpg

maçon (mah-sohn), noun

mason, stonemason, bricklayer, etc.

maçon en briques = bricklayer

maçonnage,m. , the work of masons

maçonnerie, f. = masonry work, what masons do.

maçonner, verb. tr. ; to build, to mason, to wall up with masonry ; to face a wall with masonry.

« C'est au pied du mur qu’on voit le maçon. » English equivalent = “The tree is known by its fruit.”

literally: It is at the base of a wall that one can see the mason.

The French proverb is deeper than the English equivalent because it says in effect : you can tell what a man is really like only by looking at his work which is normally unseen, hidden from view. The foundation (base) of a wall is usually below ground level. If even that work is done neatly and beautifully you have found a craftsman who takes unusual pride in his workmanship.

« La promesse d'un riche paiement décida seule le maître maçon à entreprendre cette folle construction ; mais jamais édifice ne s'éleva plus joyeusement, car ce fut au milieu des éclats de rire continuels des travailleurs, qui ne quittaient jamais le terrain où ils avaient à boire et à manger en abondance. » - E. T. A. Hoffmann, Le Violon De Crémone

Only the promise of a lush payment convinced the master mason to undertake this crazy job; but never was a building more joyfully erected, for there were from the workers continual bursts of laughter, which never left the grounds where they were having an abundance to eat and drink.

dAb

verser.JPG

verser (vehr-seh), infinitive

to pour

versant , pres. part.

pouring

versé , past part.

poured

1. v.tr. to pour (liquid) ; to shed (tears, blood, light) ; to overturn (vehicle) ; to pay, deposit money ; to assign or transfer (as men to a regiment);

2. v.i. to turn over, to upset (vehicle) ; to flatten (crops)

« La plaisanterie est une sorte de duel où il n’y a pas de sang versé. » - Chamfort (French 1741-1794)

Jesting is a type of duel where there is no blood spilled.

« Si vous avez des larmes, préparez-vous à les verser. » Shakespeare (English, 1564-1616) de Jules César

If you have any tears, prepare for them to flow.

« Verser de l’eau dans du cognac, c’est gâcher deux bonnes choses . » Charles Lamb (English, 1775-1834)

To pour water into cognac is to spoil two good things.

« Microsoft devra verser 234 millions d'euros à Alcatel-Lucent » Headline, 08 April 2008 http://www.01net.com/editorial/377834/

Microsoft will have to pay out 234 million Euros to Alcatel-Lucent

dAb

cage_variations.jpg

A page of a musical score by composer, John Cage (American, 1912-1992)

hasard (ah-zahr), (m) noun

chance, luck, accident

par hasard = by chance

au hasard = at a guess, haphazard, at random

dit au hasard = shot in the dark (it was a shot in the dark)

« Le plus grand plaisir que je connaisse est de faire une bonne action en secret et qu’elle soit découverte par hasard. » - Charles Lamb (English , 1775-1834)

The greatest pleasure that I may know of is to do a good deed in secret, and then for it to be discovered by chance.

« Le mot "aléatoire" doit s'entendre chez John Cage, en anglais, comme "chance " [hasard] et non pas "random". » http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cage

The word for “aleatory” that one hears John Cage use is, in English, “chance” and not “random.”

« Bien qu'il soit abusif de parler de composition aléatoire, il [Pierre Boulez] introduit une part de hasard dans ses œuvres dès 1957 dans sa 3rd sonate pour piano, en laissant à l'interprète le choix d'interpréter ou non certains fragments, ou de changer leur ordonnance. » - http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Boulez

Although it may be excessive to speak of aleatory composition, he [Pierre Boulez] introduces some chance into his works from 1957 in his 3rd piano sonata, by leaving it to the choice of the performer to play or not to play certain fragments, or to alter the order (in which they are played. )

“. . . rien n’arrive par hasard dans le monde, voilà le véritable point de vue chrétien sur l’ordre universel. » - Etienne Gilson, L’esprit de la philosophie médiévale , p. 350, (1989)

. . . nothing in the world happens by chance, and there you have the truly Christian point of view about universal order.

dAb

• Administrators

The interesting thing about "chance" is that there IS a french word "chance," but it means, "luck".

In English "hazard" seems to be more used in the sense of accidental, of danger, peril, - hazardous. But we do use the phrase "hazard a guess," the idea seems to lean toward the peril of a wrong guess, than the idea of chance. Maybe it's just me.

dAb

rencontre (rahn-kohntr), f. noun

a meeting , an encounter, a sports event

rencontre à l’aveugle = a blind date

rencontre entre partenaires = a get together

rencontre de deux automobiles = collision of two cars

faire une mauvaise rencontre = to have an unpleasant experience

en toute rencontre = on every occasion

aller/ venir à la rencontre = to go, to come, to meet

« Ils commencèrent à faire l'éloge de la journée, de sa beauté: puis ils parlèrent de leur étrange rencontre. . . . » - Honoré De Balzac, Les Chouans

They will begin by praising the beauty of the day: next they will speak of their odd encounter…

« Tourner le dos au passé, marcher avec la France nouvelle à la rencontre de l'avenir : telle était sa destinée . » – François René De Chateaubriand, De La Nouvelle Proposition Relative Au Banissement De Charles X Et De Sa Famille

To turn one’s back on the past, to march with a new France to meet the future: such was his destiny.

synonyms: approche, carrefour, choc, colloque, combat, concours, conférence, confluent, confrontation, croisement, duel, entrevue, match, rassemblement, rendez-vous, réunion, tête-à-tête.

post-127-140967428242_thumb.jpg

dAb

sanspontrouage.jpg

rouage (roo-azuh), m. noun (singular)

1. wheels in a mechanism, wheelworks (as of a watch)

2. cog, gearwheel

« Il est sage de verser sur le rouage de l'amitié l'huile de la politesse délicate. » - Sidonie Gabrielle Colette (French novelist, 1873 – 1954)

It is wise to lubricate the gears of friendship with the oil of refined manners.

« . . . il s’aperçut qu'il y avait autre chose dans le monde que les spéculations de la Sorbonne et les vers d'Homerus, que l'homme avait besoin d'affections, que la vie sans tendresse et sans amour n'était qu'un rouage sec, criard et déchirant . . . » - Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

. . . He realized that there were other things in the world beside the abstractions of the Sorbonne and the verses of Homer, that man needs affection, that life without tenderness and love was only dry cogwheels screeching and rending . . .

dAb

couleuvre , nom féminin

Le nom s’applique à plusieurs serpents non venimeux vivant en Europe, de la famille des colubridés.

Name given to several non-venomous snakes in Europe, of the colubrid family. (Colubrids make up more than one half of all snake species, including: corn snakes, fox snakes, rat snakes, garter snakes.)

Idiom:

Avaler des couleuvres : to put up with humiliation

literally: “to swallow (corn) snakes”

« Je lui dis tous les jours qu'il faut que le goût qu'il a pris pour elle soit bien extrême, puisque ce goût lui fait avaler, et l'été et l'hiver, toutes sortes de couleuvres (…) » -Mme de Sévigné

I say to him every day that it must be that the liking he has taken for her is very intense, since it causes him to swallow, summer and winter, all kinds of snakes. (all sorts of indignities, slights, or humiliations.)

Notre petit Coulanges fait assez bien d’aller avec lui: c’a été mon avis, sachant toutes les couleuvres qu’il avale à Paris. Marie de Rabutin-Chantal Sévigné, Lettres de Madame de Sévigné de sa famille et ses amis (1866) p. 210

Our little [Mme de] Coulanges does pretty good to go with him: that has been my opinion, knowing all the snakes he swallows at Paris. (knowing all the humiliation he must swallow in Paris.)

Lélia a disparu, et les couleuvres aussi; et les langues de feu, et le sang, et les larmes ont disparu et je me suis trouvé seul au pied des arceaux de la cathédrale. – George Sand, Lélia

Lélia vanished, and the snakes too ; and the flames, the blood, and the tears disappeared and I found myself alone at the base of the cathedral’s arches.

J’ai observe, dans la Touraine, trois espèces de couleuvres: . . . Les œufs de ces couleuvres ne diffèrent que par l’épaisseur plus ou moins grande de la coque. – Henri Dutrochet, Mémoires pour servir à l’histoire anatomique et physiologique des végétaux (1837) p.226

I have noticed in Touraine three species of snakes :… The eggs of these snakes differ only a little more or less in the thickness of the shells.

Elle arriva dans la forêt à un espace visqueux où se battaient de grandes couleuvres d'eau montrant des ventres jaunâtres, affreux et gras. Hans Christian Andersen, La Petite Sirène

In the forest she came to a slippery place where huge water snakes were struggling with one another, showing their yellowish bellies, hideous and slimy.

The picture is from http://www.seered.co.uk/wild_gardening.htm

post-127-140967428286_thumb.jpg

dAb

world_map-2.jpg

partout (pahr-too), adverb

all over, everywhere, everyplace

Antonym : nulle part : nowhere, no-place

Idioms:

passé-partout n.m, skeleton key, master key, pass key

fourrer son nez partout = to stick one’s nose into everything (esp. where it doesn’t belong)

mettre son nez partout = to put one’s nose etc.

« L’homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers. » - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Man is born free, yet everywhere he is in chains.

« L'auteur dans son œuvre doit être comme Dieu dans l'univers, présent partout et visible nulle part. » Gustave Flaubert (1821-1880)

The writer in his work must be like God in the universe : present everywhere, seen nowhere.

« Elle était tout simplement attachée par une ficelle au passe-partout de la porte d'entrée, qui restait toujours dans la serrure. » – Emile Zola, La Fortune des Rougon

She was merely connected by a string to the pass key of the entry door, which always remained in the lock.

dAb

épancher (eh-pawng-sheh) v.tr.

to pour out (liquid);to shed (blood)

épancher son coeur, to pour one’s heart out

synonyms: communiquer, confier, déverser, exprimer, répandre.

s’épancher to pour out; to overflow; to pour one’s heart out

synonyms: couler, déballer, parler, se confier, se confier, s’écouler

épanchement, noun ; effusion (liquid) ; outpouring (confidences, sentiments)

Synonyms : abandon, confidence, dégorgement, écoulement, effusion, expansion, hématome

« Il me semble qu'une source d'amour - longtemps comprimée - s'est ouverte en mon cœur et s'épanche sur tous. » - Laure Conan, L’Obscure Souffrance

It seems to me that a source of love – long suppressed – is open in my heart and pouring out on all.

« Ils m'ont communiqué leurs idées avec un épanchement , une cordialité vraiment touchante. » - Jean-Jacques Ampère, Correspondance

They have conveyed to me their thoughts with an outpouring, a very touching cordiality.

« Là, nulle humaine créature Ne touche aux animaux pour leur sang épancher. » - Jean De La Fontaine, Les Fables De La Fontaine

There, no human being ever [born?] touches any of the animals to pour out their blood.

« Le bon Ary Scheffer, qui refaisait sans cesse un Christ semblable à son Faust et un Faust semblable à son Christ, tous deux semblables à un pianiste prêt à épancher sur les touches d'ivoire ses tristesses incomprises, aurait eu besoin de voir ces deux vigoureux dessins pour comprendre qu'il n'est permis de traduire les poètes que quand on sent en soi une énergie égale à la leur. » - Charles Baudelaire, Curiosités esthétiques ; L’art romantique : et autres œuvres critiques

The good Ary Scheffer, who constantly made and made again a Christ similar to his Faust and a Faust similar to his Christ, and both similar to a pianist ready to pour out his misunderstood sorrows with a touch upon ivory, would have needed to see these two living artworks in order to understand that it is only permissible to translate great poets when one feels in oneself a power equal to theirs.

(So true, Monsieur Baudelaire, and my heartfelt apologies I pour out to you!)

post-127-140967428289_thumb.jpg

dAb

pleurer (pluh-reh), v.

to cry, to weep

to mourn

Idiom:

histoire à faire pleurer dans les chaumières: a sob story

literally: story that causes crying in the thatched cottages.

Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer. - Pierre Augustin Caron de BEAUMARCHAIS, Le Barbier de Séville, acte I, scène 2

I push myself to laugh about everything for fear of having to cry about it.

dAb

• Administrators

As opposed to "crier", which is to shriek, scream or yell.

vieillesse (vjeh-jehs), sing. fem.

(old) age ; oldness

synonyms: âge, ancienneté, antiquité, decrepitude, quatrième, sénilité, troisiéme

La vieillesse n'est autre chose que la privation de folie, l'absence d'illusion et de passion. -Marie-Henri Beyle, dit STENDHAL, Lucien Leuwen, II chap. 47

Old age is nothing but the deprivation of extravagance, the absence of illusion and of passion.

or : Age is only the loss of foolishness, the lack of illusions and of emotionalism. (?)

“La vieillesse la plus avancée n’est pas un empêchement au mariage, car nous n’avons pas dans nos lois de disposition analogue à celle du code russe qui l’interdit à compter de 80 ans révolus. » – Gabriel Baudry-Lacantinerie, Traité théorique et pratique de droit civil, p. 94, (1908)

The most advanced age is not an obstacle to marriage, because we do not have in our enacted laws any equivalent to those of the Russian code which forbids it after the counting-out of 80 years is completed.

« Le père de la philosophie, Socrate, a-t-il rougi, dans sa vieillesse, de prendre des leçons de lyre? L'histoire nous apprend que les plus grands capitaines jouaient de la lyre et de la flûte, et que les armées des Lacédémoniens s'enflammaient aux accents de la musique. » Quintilien, L’Institution Oratoire

The father of philosophy, Socrates, did he blush to take lessons in his old age on the lyre? History teaches us that the greatest captains played the lyre and flute, and the the armies of the Lacedemonians kindled themselves with the tones of music.

vieillesse.png

"Now don't git yerself too upset, Elcira,

but . . . . Were we friends?

Parents? Kinfolk? Husband and wife?

Or WHAT?

dAb

• Administrators

The French call old age "le troisième âge" or the 3rd age. I guess the other 2 are growing up and adulthood.

Do we have something like that in English?