à peu prés le même = about the same

dans peu de temps = in a short time, in a while

il y a peu de temps = not long ago

être de peu = to be of little importance, without value

quelque peu = somewhat, slightly (adv)

« Attends un peu! » = wait a minute!

« Beaucoup de bruit, peu de fruit. » - French proverb

Much noise, little fruit.

« Nous n'avons eu que bien peu à faire. » We have had only very little to do.

« C’est peu de servir l’homme, il faut encore lui plaire. » Florian, Fables, 1792, p.107

It s not enough to serve man, you must please him too.

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D. Allan

• Gail

• John317

• skyblue888

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Oui- peut-être il a très soif!

(Maybe he's really thirsty!)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Ou peut-être il veut un bain moussant! :)

(Or maybe he wants a bubble bath!)

dAb

• Administrators

Un bain moussant? LOL Où pourrait-il en trouver un en Afrique? Est-ce qu'il y a une telle chose-là? Un bain de luxe, bien sûr!

Trans- A bubble bath? LOL Where could he find one of those in Africa? Is there such a thing there? A luxurious bath, for sure!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

He just

Originally Posted By: D. Allan

Un bain moussant? LOL Où pourrait-il en trouver un en Afrique? Est-ce qu'il y a une telle chose-là? Un bain de luxe, bien sûr!

Trans- A bubble bath? LOL Where could he find one of those in Africa? Is there such a thing there? A luxurious bath, for sure!

Il y a besoin de plus des éléphants pour faire les bulles d'air dan l'eau.

He needs more elephants to blow air-bubbles.

dAb

• Administrators

"pour faire" ou peut-être "de faire + quelque chose (qch)"

You would find à faire mostly at the end of a sentence, such as:

Il n'y a rien à faire- There's nothing to do

énergie (eh-nehr-zhee) fem.

energy

énergie solaire, solar energy

énergie nucléaire, nuclear energy

« L' attention est l' état de l' homme qui veut surmonter une difficulté ; c' est une manière d' être, produite par l' énergie de la volonté ; c' est un effet, et non pas une cause. . . » - Antoine-Louis-Claude Destutt De Tracy, Eléments d’idéologie – I

Attention is the state of one who wishes to surmount a difficulty; it is a state of consciousness produced by the will’s energy; it is an effect, and not a cause. . .

post-127-140967428801_thumb.jpg

dAb

Une souris verte* (ewn soo-ree vehrt) (Child's song)

Une souris verte

Qui courait dans l’herbe.

Je l’attrape par la queue,

Je la montre à ces messieurs.

Ces messieurs me dissent :

Trempez – la dans l’huile,

Trempez-la dans l’eau,

Ça fera un escargot tout chaud.

Je la mets dans un tiroir,

Ell’ me dit : Il fait trop noir.

Je la mets dans mon chapeau,

Ell’ me dit : Il fait trop chaud.

*Une souris vert, literally “a green mouse,” in other words immature, like a green fruit.

Little Baby Mousie (freely translated)

Lit-tle ba-by mous-ie

He runs in the green grass .

When I catch him by the tail,

I show him to those old men.

Those old men they tell me:

Put him in some oi-il ,

Or in some wat-er,

That will make the lit-tle slug** all warm.

I put him in a draw-er,

He tells me: It’s too dar--rk.

I put him in my ha-at,

He tells me it’s much too warm.

- dAb

** “escargot” is actually a snail. An “escargot de pays” is a land snail.

Une souris verte -97-03.doc

dAb

• Administrators

When I read through the poem and got to the part about the escargot, I knew that they meant snail, for escargot is a well-known appetizer.

The actual word for slug is "limace (f)". I remember the story my Belgian friend told me about when she lived in Costa Rica. During the rainy season they would have great big slugs all over the place, even inside the house on the curtains.

I did enjoy the little ditty! Thanks for finding it, dab! I'd never seen it before :)

Quote:
When I read through the poem and got to the part about the escargot, I knew that they meant snail, for escargot is a well-known appetizer.

'Ces messieurs' were teasing that the little mouse would be a nice snack!

I've never 'enjoyed' the delicacy of snail. Are they served in the shell?

dAb

• Administrators

Quote:
I've never 'enjoyed' the delicacy of snail. Are they served in the shell?

Couldn't tell you as I've never partaken. Supposedly they are done up with garlic and butter, but anything done with garlic and butter would improve in flavour!

I do remember reading up once on the process but that still didn't tempt me...

melo-porter-05.jpg

porter (pohr-teh ), noun, masc.

1. in dancing, a lifting or carrying of one’s partner

2. a brown beer of English origin

porter , verb

1. to carry

2. to bring, take, transport

3. to wear, carry, “He wears a shirt,” “Il porte une chemise”

4. of one’s ‘bearing’, “She holds her head high,” “Elle porte la tête haute.”

“Les chaînes du mariage sont si lourdes qu’il faut être deux pour les porter.” -Alexandre Dumas (fils)

The chains of marriage are so heavy that it takes two to carry them. (C’est amusant!)

dAb

peti3.jpg

1. rire (reer ) verb, riant pr.pt; ri past pt.

rire de, to laugh at, about

rire aux anges, (lit. to laugh with the angels) to smile gently while sleeping

rire aux éclats, to roar with laughter

pour rire, for a joke, for a laugh

rire de someone, to make fun of someone, laugh at someone

se rire de, Formal, to laugh at

Je ris, tu* ris, elle rit, nous rions,vous riez, elles rient

I laugh, you laugh, she laughs, we laugh, you laugh, they laugh

Elle rit de tout ce que vous dites. Pourquoi ? Parce qu’elle a de jolies dents. -Benjamin Franklin

She laughs at everything you say. Why? Because she has pretty teeth.

« Le ketchup m’a giclé sur la figure. C'était génial. On a ri tous les deux sans pouvoir s’arrêter. » - André Gauthier, Mon Papa

The ketchup spurted on my face. It was awesome. They both laughed without being able to stop themselves.

2. rire , noun, masculine, a laugh

rires, laughter, singular

« Le rire est à l’homme ce que la bière est à la pression. » Alphonse Allais

To a man a laugh is like beer on tap.

3. risible , adjective, laughable

« . . . il n'en est pas moins vrai que la bouche risible de ces paysans reste encore assez large pour avaler trois cachalots. » - Isidore Ducasse, Dit Le Comte de Lautrémont, Les chants de Maldoror

It is none the less true that the comical mouths of these peasants stay open wide enough to swallow three whales.

dAb

dervi1.jpg

marier (mahr-yeh),

1. to marry

a. (of priest, pastor) to unite in wedlock

b. to give one’s daughter in marriage

2. to join, unite, marier des couleurs, to blend colors

« Personne ne connaît mon secret que le respectable abbé Pirard. J’irai chez lui ; il nous mariera. » – Stendhal, Rouge and Noir, 1830, p. 441

No one knows my secret except the respectable abbot Pirard. I will go to his place ; he will marry us.

se marier

1. to marry, get married, to wed, Se marier à , Se marier avec

2. (of color, etc.) to go with, to harmonize with, Se marier avec;

Ces deux mots ne se marient pas bien = These two words do not go together.

mari, masc. husband

marié, masc. married man, bridegroom

mariée, fem. married lady, bride

mariage, sing. masc. marriage, wedding

mariable, adj. of an age for marriage, marriageable

« Jeanne va se marier. Pour commencer, ils vont habiter dans une petite maison de gardien proche du domaine où travaille Louis. » Sophie Roïk, Les Fraise des Bois

Jeanne is going to get married. To begin with they are going to live in a little guard house near the estate where Louis works.

« je veux me marier avec l’femme que j’aime. »

I want to marry the woman I love.

« On me dit: ‘Mariez-vous’, mais je ne suis pas mariable, si je n’aime pas infiniment. » - Montherl, Lépreuses, 1939, p. 1390

They tell me : Marry ! but I am not ready for marriage if I do not love infinitely.

« Ce voyage hebdomadaire, elle le faisait maintenant sans même donner d'explication à son mari. » – Emile Zola, La Bête Humaine

This weekly trip, she made now without even giving a reason to her husband.

dAb

• Administrators

Oui, je me suis mariée à mon mari...

dervi2.jpg

adorer (ah-doh-reh ) , verb

1. to adore, to worship (a god)

2. fam. to adore, idolize, to be passionately fond of

synonymes: adorer, admirer, aduler, aimer, bénir, chérir, déifier, glorifier, idolâtrer, prier, raffoler, rendre, servir, vénérer

related words :

adorant, adoring, (pres. part.)

adoré, adored, (past. part.)

adorable, adj. adorable, lovely, loveable

adorateur, noun , masc., worshipper, one who adores

adoration, noun, fem., act of adoring

Il ne l’aime pas, il l’adore. Cette mère est folle de son fils, elle l’adore.

He does not like her, he adores her. This mother is crazy about her son, she worships him.

« . . .et recommença a sortir avec mistress Reiver pour toute la durée de la saison, l'adorant d'une façon discrète et respectueuse, comme un ange du ciel. » –Rudyard Kipling, Dans L’Erreur

. . . and he began again to go out with Mrs. Reiver for the duration of the season, adoring her in a discreet and respectable manner, as an angel from heaven.

« . . . il est adoré de la multitude en délire, qui aime, non par le jugement, mais par les yeux. . . » -William Shakespeare, Hamlet

. . . he is worshipped by the crowd enthusiastically, which loves , not by their judgment, but by their eyes. . .

Il n'y a pas, dans toute la Lorraine, un coin de nature plus adorable. – Emile Zola, L’Attaque du Moulin

There is not in all Lorraine a corner of nature more lovely.

« . . . c'était Moïse dénonçant la sentence mortelle à l'infidèle adorateur du veau d'or ; . . . » -François René de Chateaubriand, Les Martyrs

. . . it was Moses announcing the fatal sentence on the unfaithful worshipper of the golden calf ; . . .

« Télesphore vint s'asseoir près de lui et le regarda avec adoration. » -Louis Hémon, Maria Chapdelaine

Telesphore comes to sit near him and looks at him with adoration.

« L'enfant était devenue jeune fille, et je l'aimais à l'adoration à la folie. Ah! monsieur, vous la verrez... » -Louis Fréchette, Le Retour de L’Exilé

The child had become a young woman, and I loved her adoringly, madly. Ah! Mr., you will see . . .

dAb

• Administrators

Mmmmm.... j'adore le chocolat!

Ah! vous dirais-je maman

Chanson des enfants, Children’s song

Sung to the tune known in English as “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star”

Ah ! vous dirais-je, maman...........Oh! to you would I say, mama,

Ce qui cause mon tourment?..........What is causing my torment?

Papa veut que je raisonne.............Papa wants me to think (reason)

Comme une grande personne..........Like a grown-up person.

Moi je sais que les bonbons............Me, I know that candy

Valent mieux que la raison.............Is better than such thinking.

Ah ! vous dirais-je, maman...........Oh! to you would I say, mama,

Ce qui cause mon tourment?..........What is causing my torment?

Papa veut que je retienne.............Papa wants me to remember

Les verbes La Laurentienne...........All the Laurentienne verbs.

Moi je dis que les bonbons............Me, I say that candy

Valent mieux que les leçons...........Is better than those lessons.

Are little French children so polite? An American child might say "Oooh, mama, I'm telling you / Who it is thats teasing me./ Papa..." etc.

post-127-140967429159_thumb.jpg

dAb

liberty.jpg

plaisanterie (play-zon-tree), noun, fem.

joke, prank, something said or done to amuse

faire des plaisanteries, to crack jokes

faire des plaisanteries à quelqu’un, to make fun of someone

tourner la chose en plaisanterie, to turn a thing into a joke, to laugh a thing off

plaisanterie à part, joking aside, seriously

Entendre, entendre bien la plaisanterie, to take things said as amusing, without taking offense.

plaisanter, verb, intrans.

« Je reconnais, Monsieur Holmes, dit-il, que je vous ai des obligations, mais je dois regarder ce que vous venez de dire ou comme une plaisanterie de mauvais goût ou comme une insulte. Sherlock se mit à rire. » -Arthur Conan Doyle, Sliver Blaze

‘I recognize, Mr. Holmes,’ he said, ‘that I am obliged to you, but I must consider what you just said as either a joke in bad taste, or as an insult.’ Sherlock began to laugh.

« Eh bien! non, monsieur le Curé, ce n'est pas possible. La commune n'a pas le sou.., Si le bon Dieu fournit le plâtre et les tuiles, nous fournissons les maçons. » Cette plaisanterie de paysan incrédule le fit éclater d'un rire énorme. –Emile Zola, La Faute de L’Abbé Mouret

‘Well ! no, Father, it’s not possible. The town hasn’t a penny. . , If the good Lord provides the plaster and the tiles, we will provide the masons.’ This skeptical peasant’s jest made him burst into an enormous laugh.

« Il lui demanda sans la moindre hésitation: Parlez-vous sérieusement ou plaisantez-vous?>> – -anon., Le Chevalier de la Charrette (Lancelot) – Modern French Version

He asked him without the least hesitation : ‘Are you serious or joking?’

dAb

099c_je_sais_tout_bregi.jpg

Après un virage brusque au dessus ... after a sharp turn above

brusque ( brewsk ), adj.

brusque, abrupt, curt, offhand, blunt

brusquer, verb: to be brusque with someone; to rush matters

brusquerie, sing. fem. brusqueness

brusquement, adv. brusquely

« Ma gaieté n’a pas duré. J’ai eu une brusque rechute de nostalgie fresnoise et scolaire. » -Henry Goutier-Villars, Sidonie Gabrielle Colette, A. Roubille, Claudine à Paris, p. 91 (pub. 1903)

My cheerfulness did not last. I had an abrupt relapse of nostalgia for Fresnes and school.

« Il a quelque chose de brusque et d’impétueux qui ne lui attire pas beaucoup d’amis. » -Lettres de Madame de Sévigné de sa famille et de ses amis, (B. VII, 46.)

He has something abrupt and impetuous about him which does not attract many friends.

« La mère Gabet, souffrant d'une crise brusque de sa sciatique, n'était pas venue; et d'autres soins de ménage retenaient Hubertine au logis. » -Emile Zola, Le Rêve

Mother Gabet, suffering from a sudden attack of her sciatica, did not come; and other household cares kept Hubertin at home.

« Julien se retira brusquement de la fenêtre, descendit précipitamment l' escalier et arriva juste dans la cour en même temps que la voiture. » -Champfleury, Les Bourgeois de Molinchart

Julien withdrew abruptly from the window, went in a rush down the staircase and reached the courtyard just at the same moment as the car.

« Que la brusquerie de mes paroles ne te fâchent point, je suis franc. Sois homme, Élie ! tu* as déjà beaucoup baissé dans l' opinion de tes camarades par ta liaison condamnable ; mais le passé est passé, que Dieu t'accompagne ! » - Alexandre Dumas (Père), La Princesse Flora

I hope the bluntness of my words does not annoy you, I’m sincere. Be a man, Elie! you have already fallen very much in the opinion of your friends due to your reprehensible affair; but the past is past, may God go with you!

dAb

cease-fire.jpg

trêve ( trehv), sing. fem.

1. truce, cease fire

2. figurative: pause, respite, rest, intermission

Trêve de plaisantries: Familiar: enough of this nonsense; let’s stop this joking ; let’s get serious; (seriously)

sans trêve: unceasing(ly), without intermission

[color:#CC6600] « Ils envoient des députés à Rome, et proposent la paix; une trêve de cent ans leur est accordée, mais au prix d'une partie de leur territoire. » -Tite-Live, Histoire Romaine

They sent delegates to Rome proposing peace; a truce of one hundred years was granted to them, but at the cost of part of their territory.

Oh! que je suis heureux de vous revoir! - C'est bien, c'est bien, maître Bazin, dit Aramis; tréve de compliments. –Alexandre (Père) Dumas, Vingt ans après

Oh ! how happy I am to see you again! - It’s good, it’s good, maestro Bazin, says Aramis; that’s enough compliments.

« . . . cette bouderie contre la bouteille n'est pas naturelle: ce que je te dis.

MOI: Mais vous pourriez bien avoir deviné juste.

BIGRE LE FILS: Jacques, trêve de plaisanteries, placées ou déplacées, je ne les aime pas. » Denis Diderot, Jacques le fataliste et son maître

. . . this sulkiness against the bottle isn’t natural: that’s what I tell you.

ME: You very well may have figured that out .

BIGRE THE SON: Jack, enough of jokes, well placed or out of place, I don’t like them.

Je m' arrêtai tout un dimanche à Lucerne. Les cloches sonnant sans trêve, la neige épandue sur le paysage, le froid m' accablaient de tristesse. – Maurice Barrès, Un Homme Libre

I stayed all Sunday at Lucerne. The bells sounding without pause, the snow spread out on the landscape, the coldness, weighed me down with sadness.

Si vous trouvez une information erronée, de faute de frappe ou d'orthographe, veuillez demander la modification.

dAb

medium_medium_HORLOGE.jpg

lorsque (lohrsk) conj.

when (at the time, moment)

lors . . . . que = lorsque: Lors même que nous sommes heureux. Even when we are happy.

lors de = at the time of ; during. Il fait beau lors de sa naissance. It was good weather at the time of /during his birth

Lorsque and quand are interchangeable

J'en jugerai lorsque je serai mieux informé. Lorsqu'il est arrivé, je sortais. Lorsqu'il pleut, les oiseaux se taisent. –Dictionnaire de L’Académie française, 8th Edition (1932-5)

I'll consider it when I am better informed. When it happens, I leave. When it rains the birds are silent.

« Le banquier est quelqu’un qui vous prête son parapluie lorsque le soleil brille et vous le retire aussitôt qu’il pleut. » -Mark Twain

A banker is someone who lends you his umbrella when the sun shines and takes it back as soon as it is raining.

« Pendant les fouilles faites en présence du roi à Naples, lors de la restauration de 1815, on trouva dans une des chambres de la maison d'Alcmaeon une grande fresque d'une beauté très particulière, qui représentait un groupe de nymphes dont les yeux étaient tournés vers la figure principale. » - Charles Baudelaire, Le jeune enchanteur, histoire tirée d’un palimpseste de Pompeïa

During the searches made in the presence of the king at Naples, at the time of the restoration in 1815, they found in one of the rooms of the house of Alcmaeon a large fresco of a very special beauty, which represented a group of nymphs whose eyes were turned toward the main face.

« La poudre de violette était employée au XIX° siècle, surtout en Angleterre et en Allemagne, pour calmer les douleurs des petits enfants lors de la pousse des dents. » -Paul Lafargue, Le Darwinisme sur la scène française

A powder of violets was used in the 19th century, especially in England and Germany, to calm the pain of small children during toothing.

Car lors même que notre langage est exact, élégant, sublime, ces qualités sont uniquement le résultat de l' ensemble et de l’ enchaînement du discours, puisque nous ne louons dans les mots que leur convenance avec les choses. –Quintilien, L’Institution oratoire

For even when our language is precise, elegant, and sublime, these qualities are only the result of the whole, of the chain of the speech, since we praise words only for their suitability with things.

Si vous trouvez une information erronée, de faute de frappe ou d'orthographe, veuillez demander la modification.

dAb