ClubAdventist is back!

Un Mot par Jour

D. Allan

• Administrators

Re: the accompanying image:

Le temps qui passe= time

Le temps qui fait= weather

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D. Allan

• Gail

• John317

• skyblue888

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bangkok.jpg

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. -Alphonse KARR, Les Guêpes 1849

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

même (mehm )

1. adjective: same ; Ils ont arrivé à Paris le jour même. They made it to Paris that same day.

2. pronoun: same one, same thing; Je voudrais le même, s’il vous plait. I would like the same, please.

Reflexive pronouns are made with même:

moi-même = myself

toi-même = yourself (familiar)

lui-même = himself, herself, itself

nous-mêmes = ourselves

vous-mêmes = yourselves

eux-mêmes (m), elles-mêmes = themselves

3. adverb : even ; aimer même ses ennemis, to love even one enemies.

de même - likewise; in the same way

de même que – (just) as, like

même pas – not even

même si – even if

ici même – right here

boire à même la bouteille – to drink straight from the bottle

quand même – all the same

moi de même – me too

à même le sol – on the ground

[color:#663333] « . . .nous aurons de la haine pour cette chose et en même temps de l'amour. » -Benedict De Spinoza, L’éthique

. . . we will have hatred for this thing and at the same time love.

« Non, répéta-t-elle à demi-voix, nous n'aurions pas le temps. Et, sans lever les yeux, elle continua, comme se parlant à elle-même: . . . » -Emile Zola, Le rêve

No, she said again in a low voice, we should not have time. And, without looking up, she continued as if talking to herself: . . .

« Tu* sais que l' âme est imparfaite avant d'être parfaite sa prière doit être de même. » - Sainte Catherine De Sienne, Traité de la prière, 1ère partie

You know since the soul is imperfect before being perfect, its prayer must be likewise imperfect.

« Ma pauvre grand'mère entrait, priait ardemment son mari de ne pas goûter au cognac; il se fâchait, buvait tout de même sa gorgée, et ma grand'mère repartait, triste, découragée, souriante pourtant, car elle était si humble de coeur et si douce . . .» - Marcel Proust, Du côte de chez Swann

My poor grandmother entered, ardently begging her husband not to taste any cognac; he became annoyed and drank a mouthful all the same, and my grandmother went out, sad, discouraged, but smiling, for she was so humble of heart and so sweet . . .

« Je vous en ai donné la preuve, ce me semble. - Oui, aussi je suis à vous corps et âme. - Merci, mon brave amant! mais de même que je vous ai prouvé mon amour, vous me prouverez le vôtre à votre tour, n'est-ce pas? - Certainement. » -Alexandre Dumas (Père), Les Trois Mousquetaires

I have given you evidence of it, it seems to me. –Yes, also I am yours body and soul. – Thank you, my brave lover! but just as I have proven to you my love, you will prove yours to me in turn, isn’t that so? -Certainly.”

Si vous trouvez une information erronée, de faute de frappe ou d'orthographe, veuillez demander la modification.

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Administrators

Nice! I especially like the expression "quand même". You hear it a lot

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

aquarelle_place_dauphine.jpg

Jusqu’au bout des ongles

This expression indicate the completeness of a quality. Literally it says “to the end of the fingernails.”

« . . . on dit qu’un homme a de l’ esprit jusqu’au bout des ongles, quand il en déploie dans les plus petites choses et quand il est fertile in expédients. . . » - D Charbonnier, in William Duckett, Fils, Dictionnaire de la conversation et de la lecture inventaire raisonné, p. 736 (pub. 1878)

. . . one says that a man has spirit to the end of his nails when he displays it in both small and great things and is full of useful ideas.

« . . . donner des preuves d’honneur et de courage, avoir du cœur, c’est avoir du sang jusqu’au bout des ongles. . . » -ibid

. . . to give proofs of honor and courage, to have heart, is to have blood to the tips of one’s fingernails.

« Ils ont de la malice jusqu’au bout des ongles et de l’esprit jusqu’au bout des pieds. Ils sont à la fois mimes, acrobates, danseurs, musiciens, comédiens. Et ils sont poèts. » -Philippe Monnier, Venise au XVIII siècle, p. 113, (2001)

They have mischief to the ends of their nails and spirit to the bottom of their feet. They are all at once mimes, acrobats, dancers, musicians, comedians. They are poets.

« Le New York de Woody Allen : Le cinéaste américain préféré des Français est new-yorkais jusqu’au bout des ongles. Sa ville de prédilection est le décor de la majorité de ses films. » -Petit Futé, New York, p. 18

The New York of Woody Allen : The preferred American film maker of the French is a New-Yorker to the tips of his fingernails. His favorite city is the setting for the majority of his films.

« Avoir de l’esprit, jusqu’au bout des ongles, c'est-à-dire en avoir beaucoup. » -Caroline Rollin Corson, Soirees litteraires, causeries de salon, p. 113, (1863)

To have spirit to the end of the nails , is, so to speak, to have a lot of it.

Si vous trouvez une information erronée, de faute de frappe ou d'orthographe, veuillez demander la modification.

dAb

• Administrators

dab, thank you for including useful phrases in the WOTD. Sometimes they pop up in English as well

Some of our English phrases are literal translations of the French, I've learned. Like, "New Wave", Nouvelle Vague and "That goes without saying" Cela va sans dire.

dAb

bureaudevoirmontreal_1910.jpg

Office of the newspaper, Le Devoir, Montreal, Canada, 1910

devoir , (duh-vwahr) verb : [color:#CC9933] pr.p. devant : p.p. dû

1. to owe Combien est-ce qu'il te doit ? How much does he owe you ?

2. must, ought to, have to Les enfants doivent manger. The children must eat

3. should, supposed to Je dois rentrer avant le dîner. I should / will probably be back before dinner.

present tense: dois: dois: doit: devons: devez: doivent

devoir , noun, sing. masc.

1. responsibility, assignment, duty (work), business (task)

2. (school) homework

rendre ses devoirs - to pay ones respects

Adam et Eve furent punis d’être végétariens. Ils auraient manger le serpent. –Robert Sabatier, Le Livre de la déraison souriante

Adam and Eve were punished for being vegetarians. They ought to have had to eat the serpent. (not an apple)

Vous ne trouverez donc que la copie de ces deux Lettres, dont je me dois de garder les originaux. –Pierre Laclos, Les liaisons dangereuses

You will find then only a copy of these two Letters of which I must keep the originals.

Le père et la mère doivent tout à l’enfant. L’ enfant ne leur doit rien. – Jules Renard

The father and the mother owe everything to the child. The child owes them nothing.

Pendant tout ce temps, tu* m’as pris pour une folle et maintenant que tu* as rencontré Christopher, je crois que tu* me dois de vraies excuses. –Virginie Fleuranceau, La falaise maudite

During all this time, you have taken me for a clown and now that you have meet Christopher, I think you owe me a real apology.

Nous devons de la reconnaissance à Copernic, Galilée, Newton. Il gelait très fort et sur le bleu noir du ciel, une infinité de lumières scintillaient. –Gustave Flaubert, Bouvard et Pécuchet

We owe recognition to Copernicus, Galileo, and Newton. It was freezing very hard and in the blue-black of the sky, an infinity of lights sparkled.

Je m'en suis consolé par la certitude d'avoir rempli, tant envers lui qu' envers sa famille, le devoir de la plus sainte amitié, qui n'est pas de se rendre toujours agréable, mais de conseiller toujours pour le mieux. –Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Les confessions

I am comforted by the certainty of having fulfilled, as much towards him as towards his family, the duty of the most holy friendship, which is not to make oneself always pleasant, but always to advise for the best.

Malgré les recherches les plus minutieuses, il avait été impossible de retrouver les restes du jeune homme, et la famille n'avait pas même eu la satisfaction de lui rendre les derniers devoirs de la tombe. –Honoré Beaugrand, Jeanne la fileuse

In spite of the most meticulous searches, it had been impossible to find the remains of the young man, and the family did not even have the satisfaction of paying to him their last graveside respects.

“Qu’est-ce que ton devoir? – l ’ exigence de chaque jour” ; cette pensée est de Goethe ; faisons notre devoir, que est de tâcher d’écrire bien, et quelle société de saints serait celle où seulement chacun ferait son devoir ? –Gustave Flaubert, Correspondance

« What is your work/duty ? - the demands of each day » ; this thought is Goethe’s; we are doing our work, which is to try to write well, and what a congregation of saints might it be if only each one did his work?

dAb

• Administrators

Le chien a mangé mes devoirs...

(The dog ate my homework...)

Il doit être un chien qui a la dent! (He must be a hungry dog)

Il est végétarien?

dAb

• Administrators

Je ne sais si c'est le cas, mais il aime poser les problèmes dans plus d'une sorte!

(I don't know if that's the case, but he likes to pose problems in more than one way! math + eating)

Notre chien mangeait la poste, mangeait les notes!

(Our dog was eating the mail, was eating the bills!)

dAb

• Administrators

C'est une façon de les gérer!!

(That's one way to take care of them!)

Nous devions téléphoner à dire "Le chien l'a mangé!"

(We were having to telephone to say, "The dog ate it!"

dAb

borg-step-2.jpg

un calque (kalk]

tracing, carbon copy, spitting image, loan translation

Je vais prendre un calque de ce dessin - [size:8pt]I'm going to trace (take a tracing of) this drawing.

June est le calque de sa mère June is an exact image of her mother.

A loan translation, also called a calque in English, is the literal translation of a word or phrase into another language. « Faire une décision » is a loan translation of « to make a decision ». The French expression is “prendre une decision” - “to take a decision.”

Related: calquer - to trace, copy exactly; le calquage – tracing

Arthur et ses chevaliers sont un calque de Charlemagne et de ses preux. – René De Chateaubriand, Essai sur la littérature angloise

Arthur and his knights are spitting images (or copies) of Charlemangne and his valiants.

Certes, on n' irait pas au théâtre pour assister à des péripéties qui seraient le calque exact des péripéties de la vie réelle. –Vicomte De Marennes, Manuel de l’homme et de la femme comme il faut

Certainly, one would not attend the theater to witness the ups and downs which would be exact copies of real-life’s ups and downs.

Le calque sur papier transparent ou à la vitre, consiste à suivre les contours du dessin devenu apparent à cause de la vitre ou de la transparence du papier sur lequel se fait la copie. –C. Bouterau, Nouveau manuel complet du dessinateur , p. 45, (1847)

Tracing on transparent paper or glass consists in following the contours of the drawing visible through the glass or transparent paper upon which the copy is being made.

dAb

article_photo_1208102269695-1-0.jpg

le souci (soo – see) noun

1. botanical: marigold

2. care

a. solicitude, concern Prendre souci de quelque chose = to have a care/concern for something

b. worry or anxiety

c. a cause of worry or anxietysynonymes: angoisse, anxiété, aria, bile, contrariété, crainte, embêtement, empoisonnement, ennui, inquiétude, préoccupation, problème, sollicitude, tintouin, tourment, tracas, tracasserie.

soucieux, masc. soucieuse, fem. adjectives : worried, anxious, concerned

sans souci, adj. carefree, without worry

sans souci, adv. carelessly

sans-souci, n. m. a worry free person

peu soucieux, peu soucieuse, careless

Elle ne prenait aucun souci de la cacher ou de la parer à mes yeux. Elle n'y pensait pas plus qu'une sœur ne pense si elle est belle ou laide aux yeux de son frère. [size:8pt]–Alphonse de Lamartine, Graziella

She was taking no care to hide it from or array it before my eyes. She was thinking no more than a sister thinks weather she is beautiful or ugly in the eyes of her brother.

Je connais beaucoup de femmes, mais je n’en ai jamais vu une aussi peu soucieuse de sa santé. –Emile Zola, La Curée

I know many women, but I have never seen one so careless of her health.

Le gardien de la tour de Barbantane était un homme jaloux, très soucieux de protéger sa fille Mourette des galants qui lui faisaient la cour.-Varieés Auteurs, Pour une danse des cordelles

The caretaker of the tower of Brabantane was a jealous man, very anxious to protect his daughter, Mourette, from the admirers who were courting her.

Il était donc heureux et sans souci de rien au monde. Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

He was therefore happy and without a care in the world.

La tête tournée contre le vent, sans souci de l'eau qui ruisselait sur son col bleu, il était resté debout, soutenu par le groupe des marins qui se pressait contre lui. Pierre Loti, Mon frère Yves

Head turned against the wind, careless of the water running down his blue neck, he remained standing, supported by the group of sailors who were pressing against him.

dAb

Il pleut, il pleut bergère

Paroles: Philippe Fabre d'Eglantine. Musique: Victor Simon 1780

Il pleut, il pleut bergère,

Presse tes blancs moutons,

Allons sous ma chaumière

Bergère, vite, allons.

J'entends sous le feuillage

L'eau qui tombe à grand bruit,

Voici, voici l' orage

Voici l' éclair qui luit.

It rains, it rains, oh shepherd,

hurry your white sheep on,

let us go to my cottage,

Shepherd, let’s quickly go.

Beneath these leaves I’m hearing

the noise of water falling

here is , here is, the loud storm

here is the lightning flash.

post-127-140967429419_thumb.jpg

dAb

• Administrators

Cool song!

14585280_Hillary-and-Obama_B.jpg

Obama a décroché l'investiture démocrate pour la présidentielle américaine.

décrocher v.t. décrochant, décroché

to unhook, take down (from a peg or hook), unsling (hammock), uncouple, disconnect, to answer (the telephone)

décrochable, adj. that which may be unhooked etc.

décrochage , noun

décrocher la lune or décrocher les étoiles = to obtain the impossible (unhook the moon/stars)

décrocher la timbale = to « bring home the bacon » or « hit the jackpot » (literally-take down the goblet (from the wall/shelf))

L'enfant veut décrocher la lune, boxer contre la pluie ou chausser des bottes de sept lieues. -VUILLEMIN, Essai signif. mort, 1949, p. 34

The child wishes to unhook (take down) the moon, to box with the rain or to put on some seven league boots .

. . . et ce mot effrayait, on disait dans le quartier que le zingueur avait eu le cœur décroché par la secousse. –Emile Zola, L’Assommoir

. . . and this word was frightening, it was being said in the neighborhood that the zinc-worker had had his heart switched off by the shock.

Bombay vient d' ailleurs de décrocher le titre peu glorieux de septième ville la plus sale du monde. –Le Figaro, 30 May 2008

Bombay has just taken the inglorious title of the seventh dirtiest city of the world.

Il fait très beau. Il a un peu gelé cette nuit, et les premières feuilles se décrochent. -RENARD, Corresp., 1883-1910, p. 195

It is very beautiful. There is a slight freeze tonight, and the first leaves are unfastening themselves.

Lenôtre devra donc louer des camions blancs et les marmitons se délester de leurs toques aux initiales de la maison. Une contrainte acceptée de bonne grâce quand on décroche la timbale... –Le Point, 10 Jan 1998

Ours will have to rent some white trucks and kitchen boys to be relieved of the initial wild love of the house. A constraint accepted with good grace when one is bringing home the bacon. . . .

Christoph Marty, de l'Institut fédéral pour l'étude de la neige et des avalanches, a relevé un décrochage brutal de l'enneigement à la fin des années 80 dans les Alpes suisses. –Le Figaro, 21 May 2008

Christoph Marty, of the Federal Institute for the Study of Snow and Avalanches, has taken up the brutal unleashing of snow-cover at the end of the 80’s in the Swiss Alps.

dAb

la_cloche_a_sonne_2004_reference.jpg

sonné , (sohn-neh) -ée, [past participle of sonner : to ring (bell); to strike (clock); to sound ]

1. sounded (clock or bell)

2. dazed, groggy

3. crazy

Il est dix heures sonnées.

It is past 10.

Il est sonné par son accident.

He is dazed because of his accident.

Cet étrange individu est un peu sonné.This strange person is a little bit cracked

Elle a quarante ans sonnés.

She’s past fourty.

À 76 ans sonnés, le numéro deux de GM préfère toujours chevaucher un deux-roues. . . . –Le Figaro, 23 May 2008

At the age of 76, GM’s number two always prefers to ride a two-wheeler. . .

Matines bien sonnées sont à demi dites. –proverb

dAb

Manger aux frais de la princesse

(to eat at no cost, lit. to eat at the expense of the princess)

to receive something free paid by another person, company or the government.

Cette expression signifie que l'on bénéficie de quelque chose gratuitement, payé par une personne riche, une entreprise ou une administration. On l'emploie depuis 1828. - http://www.linternaute.com/expression/langue-francaise/859/manger-aux-frais-de-la-princesse/

This expression means that one benefits from something free of charge, paid by a rich person, a business, or an administration. It has been used since 1828

Tu* comptes passer tes vacances là-bas aux frais de la princesse ? –fr.wiktionnaire.org

You are counting on spending your vacation over there ‘at the expense of the princess ‘?

dAb

• Administrators

Je me demande si cette expression s'est arrivée après le mort de Reine Marie Antoinette, dont le phrase <Laissez-les manger le gâteau> était attribuée.

Dans ce cas, la princesse n'était d'une bonne volonté!

*I wonder if this expression came about after the death of Queen Marie Antoinette, to whom was attributed the sentence, "Let them eat cake!"

In this case, the princess wasn't willing to pay!

C'est une idée très fascinante,Gail!

(It's a fascinating idea, Gail!)

Merci!

dAb

Faire des pieds de nez

to thumb the nose (literally to make nose-feet)

Avoir un pied de nez

to have false hopes (lit. to have a nose-foot)

A “pied de nez” is a face made by placing your thumb upon the nose and hooking the other hand to the little finger of the first. Also the other expression, ” avoir un pied de nez” refers to havings false hopes. By putting your hands to your nose you are transforming them into imaginary feet and mischievously taunting someone that they are ignoring the vast distance between their hope and reality.

« Geste de dérision qui consiste à étendre la main, doigts écartés, en appuyant le pouce sur son nez. »

A derisive gesture made by extending the hand, fingers spread, while placing the thumb upon the nose.

« J' adore faire des pieds de nez à ceux et celles qui se moquent de mes pieds ! »

I adore putting feet on my nose (thumbing my nose) at whoever makes fun of my feet !

post-127-140967429947_thumb.jpg

dAb

baigner (beh-n’yeh), verb, pr.p. baignant, pt.p. baigné

1. to put something in a bath

2. to dip, immerse, soak something in a liquid Baigner un chien, un enfant; baigner une brioche dans du lait. to bathe a dog, a child, to dip/soak brioche in milk.

-se baigner (of a part of one’s own body when followed by a dir. obj.) Se baigner les yeux, se baigner les tempes avec du vinaigre. –to bathe/wash one’s eyes, to bathe/wash one’s temples with vinegar.

There are many figurative uses of the word. At the beach one dips one’s self in the water; but if someone is actually in the act of swimming the word to use is “nager” (nah-zheh), to swim.

related words:

baignade, fem. noun, act of bathing in a river or sea; bathing place

baigneur, masc. bather

baigneuse, fem. bather

baignoire, fem. bath, bathtub ; theatre : ground floor box (behind the pit)

[color:#663333] « On ne se baigne jamais deux fois dans le même fleuve. » -Heraclite

One can never bathe twice in the same river. –Heraclitus

« Elle vivait un rêve magique, tout baigné de lumière et de bonheur, ... » -DANIEL-ROPS, Mort, où est ta victoire? 1934, p. 166.

She was living a magical dream, all bathed/washed in light and happiness . . .

« Les plages publiques où, d' ici peu, les femmes voilées se baigneront tout habillées, sont encore désertes. » -Le Figaro, 10 June 2008

The public beaches where, shortly, veiled women will bathe completely dressed, are still deserted.

« Le cadavre d'un homme baignant dans son sang a été découvert à son domicile d'Achères (Yvelines) cette nuit. » -Le Figaro, 31 May 2008-06-12

The body of a man bathing in his blood has been discovered at his residence in Achères (Yvelines) tonight.

« Le décor, sobre, baigne dans une lumière ocre et orangé, chaude et rassurante pour les jeunes spectateurs. » -Le Figaro, 09 Oct 2007

The restrained setting washes in an ochre and orange light, warm and reassuring for the young spectators.

« Fils unique, il a baigné dans les livres depuis l'enfance. » -Le Figaro, 04 Oct 2007

An only son, he has bathed/swam in books since childhood.

post-127-140967429975_thumb.jpg

dAb

• Administrators

When I saw this word, the first thing that came to my mind is, This is what one does at the beach.

In English, we swim. The French swim, too, but that is "nager" and is meant for actually swimming. To dip and play in the surf is "se baigner".