ClubAdventist is back!

The issue of Rebellion

olger

The topic of rebellion was introduced in another thread (on marriage, I believe). It was suggested by a moderator that a thread be dedicated to the topic of Rebellion.

Genesis 48:1-22

Back in the late sixties, a popular song came out called, "Teach Your Children Well." It was addressed to the freewheeling hippy generation, which had tried to cast off all the restraints and rules of their parents’ generation. While the song reflected noble intentions, I always thought that there was a great deal of irony reflected in it, that this rebellious generation would somehow succeed in teaching their children where their parents had failed.

Today I want to talk about two things:

• The spiritual problem of rebellion

• The need to teach our children good things

I’m afraid that my generation succeeded in teaching our kids all too well. We taught them that lifelong commitment in marriage is outdated. We taught them to cast off the roles of husband as provider and wife as mother and homemaker. We taught them to do whatever feels good, whether sex, drugs, drinking, or any other impulse. And, we taught them to feel good about themselves while they walked out on their marriages and coped with all their various addictions!

oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Members

I agree with what your saying, but at the same time my parents didn't bring me and my brother up to believe in any of those things that you mention. But I do believe that all of us grow up and rebell about something. It might not be sex, drugs, drinking, marriage etc. Maybe other things such as religion, God, etc.

pkrause

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I mean that our generation taught by example, friend. And in our illustration it was fueled by the petrol of rebellion.

As to rebellion, yes. Many do experience it, but certainly not all children. They are many who make the parents glad according to Proverbs 23:24; 15:20; 13:13; 10:1,5).

The Bible equates rebellion with witchcraft. Why do you think that is?

oG

• Members

I understand what your saying about rebellion and example. But hasn't rebellion always been around. Little things here and there. Like growing your hair long or short. Just little things that seem like your rebelling but really not. When my nieces and nephew were young their parents would not allow them to watch TV period. But anytime they went and stay over other peoples homes they would watch all the time, only because they knew this would bother or just irratate their parents. You could call that rebelling. But then when they became adults and got married they went back to be very good with there TV watching habits.

As far as the Bible equating rebellion with witchcraft, could you give me a few versus to read in there context. Thanks

pkrause

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Hi PK. I understand just what you mean about the kids. Truth hammered into a child without love is spiritual abuse (I don't know if that was the case in your illustration). That sometimes leads to rebellion in a child's life and rebellion almost always leads to moral failure. What started out as 1-issue is now 3-issues in this illustration.

I agree that rebellion & pride are the cornerstones of our carnal nature. Those twin sins eventually severed Israel as God's chosen people.

Rebellion opens a person to Enemy attack. (1 Samuel 15:23). God had told King Saul to do a thorough job. He did it part way and then decided “God made a mistake.” So he did things his own way. God sent a messenger to Him with these classic words: Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee. Who was the original rebel? Satan. In the occult, people give ground in their heart to the enemy in order to get something back. They want power. A person involved in witchcraft places himself under satan’s authority and satan controls that person. It’s the same with rebellion, people give ground to the enemy in order to get the power to do what they want and people never get free because satan controls that area of their life. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. Rebellion takes us out from under God’s protection. The very first king of Israel was a symbol of what would happen to the nation. His rebellion and stubborness eventually led him into the occult and he was destroyed. A sad story.

Now I don’t understand everything about how the enemy works when he influences a person’s life, but I know the enemy is deceptive and he’s trying to figure out any way he can get into a believer’s life to destroy their effectivenness. And in our culture, rebellion is acceptable. You don’t have to look very far to find it. And I think the enemy has gotten a huge opportunity to destroy believers here. Study that passage, because I think there’s a key here. And if you have a problem with rebellion, ask God to break it. And then ask Him “has this been a problem spiritually for me”? Do I need to resolve this sin in my heart in order to be effective for you.?”

This is the prayer that I prayed many years ago.

oG

• Members

100 % agreed. Happy Sabbath, Shabbat Shalom.

pkrause

phkrause