ClubAdventist is back!

Scooter scooted out

Scooter Libbey has been disbarred. He can no longer practice law in D.C. . My question ... Is this fair?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Its not fair, he should be in jail, along with Rove and Cheney.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

It is interesting that both Bill Clinton and Scooter Libbey got the same penalty. However ... Bill's offense would seem to be far more serious. But then I think Bill should have gone to jail also. So, in that regard ... we agree. Therefore put Bill in Jail longer than Scooter is my plea.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Scooter Libbey has been disbarred. He can no longer practice law in D.C. . My question ... Is this fair?

The commentators I heard today said it will very likely have no effect on his ability to find work. He can work as a lobbyist or in some other relationship to government without needing a law license.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

It is interesting that both Bill Clinton and Scooter Libbey got the same penalty. However ... Bill's offense would seem to be far more serious. But then I think Bill should have gone to jail also.

Selling out the country (in other words, being Dick Cheney's fall guy) is a whole lot worse than having a sexual dalliance, IMHO.

In one case, Bill very truly betrayed his wife. But in Libbey's case, the whole country's security was jeopardized. Jail for Libbey is appropriate.

[Except that the best remedy would have been to jail Karl Rove and Dick Cheney -- who really deserved it -- instead.]

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

Can you clarify how Clinton's offense was worse, Redwood? I get that it wasn't the sex, it was the perjury, but Scooter perjured himself too. I also agree with Jeannie that outing an active intelligence agent is a very sever offence.

Truth is important

It is interesting that both Bill Clinton and Scooter Libbey got the same penalty. However ... Bill's offense would seem to be far more serious. But then I think Bill should have gone to jail also. So, in that regard ... we agree. Therefore put Bill in Jail longer than Scooter is my plea.

Bill's offense seems to be far more serious?????

The man lied because he wanted to protect his family because of his indescresion...How is that different than outing an agent and putting not only the life of the agent in jepardy, but all the other agents who used the same cover story?

I am sorry that your Republican prejudice is showing bit time here, Red....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I agree, Bill's offense did not threaten anyone's life. I don't defend what he did, by it's by far less serious in my eyes than an administration outing agent to get even with its "political enemies".

Personally, I have my suspicions that this scandal was intentionally manufactured to give media one more reason not to talk about more important and real issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sk06nsdWzM

Quote:
The man lied because he wanted to protect his family because of his indescresion...

Bill Clinton was being sued in civil court by Paula Jones for sexual harassment. He allegedly abused his authority as governor of Arkansas to intimidate female subordinates to have sex with him, or provide him oral pleasures. The case with Monica Lewinsky could have provided evidence for Paula Jones by establishing a pattern of behavior. Bill Clinton lied in order to obstruct justice in the Paula Jones case. In the process he not only perjured himself, he solicited perjury for others and misused to Secret Service to aid him in obstruction of justice.

The problem was caused by his sexual indiscretions but he used all the authority granted to him to cover up his abusive behavior. Bill Clinton was a big shot but an alleged sexual predator nonetheless. Paula Jones was a nobody, but an alleged victim still. Bill Clinton's infidelity and the long list of women which have alleged sexual harassment against him cannot be ignored. In civil court guilt does not need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, it is only the preponderance of the evidence that must indicate guilt. It certainly appears the preponderance of the evidence indicates Bill Clinton is guilty of sexual harassment of Paula Jones. That is why he used all his power as President to deny her the justice she was seeking.

Libby was never found guilty of outing Valorie Plame. He was convicted of perjury, obstruction of justice, and making false statements to federal investigators. The same charges as Bill Clinton. The big difference is that the base charges against Clinton were civil (sexual harassment) and the base charges against Libby were criminal (treason). Certainly treason is a greater crime than sexual harassment. However the threshold for proving guilt is also much higher. Libby's guilt would need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. So it is more wrong to assume his guilt than it is to assume the guilt of Bill Clinton - neither were found guilty for their base crimes.

Given that neither Clinton nor Libby were ever found guilty of their base crimes. I would think the punishment for perjury and obstruction of justice should be the same for each.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

With those who are given much trust ... much trust is expected. Look at the example of Spitzer. Because of his position of trust ... more was expected. More should be expected of the Chief Law enforcer of the land ... The President of the United States ... than anyone with a name of 'Scooter'.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Absolutely. Which is why Bush's unconstitutional wiretaps should be pursued.

Truth is important

In order for the wiretaps to be pursued the issue would have to go before the Supreme Court. Since Bush did consult Congress on the wiretaps, there was no conspiracy. If the issue went before the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court ruled that what was done was unconstitutional, the practice would be banned. That would be the end of it. No one would be convicted of anything. Bush covered himself by consulting Congress. There is no comparison between that and the Paula Jones/Monica Lewinsky affair.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I hope no one is suggesting that we boot out the entire Congress.

Well ... On second hand ... maybe that is the best idea yet. Just clean house.

I believe in Hematology.