ClubAdventist is back!

Cheney, Others OK'd Harsh Interrogations

• Moderators

I agree about McCain. In the Republican debates he was the one candidate who came out strongly against torture, and I'm absolutely delighted that if you guys end up with a Republican president it will be him.

I strongly disagree that under a Democrat president America would be torturing. The torture mentality comes out of a hawkish, militaristic machismo that is the exclusive property of the right in America.

Truth is important

"The torture mentality comes out of a hawkish, militaristic machismo that is the exclusive property of the right in America."

I don't think there is much support for that opinion. The CIA was using torture long before the Republicans won the White House.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
Torture is, you know, illegal, immoral, un-American, etc. As Dan Froomkin noted today, "If you consider what the government did to be torture, which is a crime according to U.S. and international law, Bush's statement shifts his role from being an accessory after the fact to being part of a conspiracy to commit."

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Any wonder why I should be thinking that this administration should be tried for crimes against humanity...?

Bush is a warmonger....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I agree about McCain. In the Republican debates he was the one candidate who came out strongly against torture, and I'm absolutely delighted that if you guys end up with a Republican president it will be him.

a journalist at the Associated Press' national conference today asked John McCain about torturing detainees, saying, "Don't we stand for something better?" McCain responded:

"I've made it very clear, I've made it very clear in my statements and in my support of the Detainee Treatment Act, the Geneva Conventions, etc., that there may be some additional techniques to be used, but none of those would violate the Geneva Conventions, the Detainee Treatment Act.... And we cannot ever, in my view, torture any American, that includes waterboarding."

Well, there's a bold declaration from Mr. Straight Talk. He does not believe that the U.S. government should torture U.S. citizens. What a relief.

I'm glad that's clear too....McCain is against any torture to a US citizen by the US government.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Let me put it another way. I believe the people who are opposing torture and harsh treatment are doing so, not to score political points against the current government, but because they firmly believe that torture and harsh treatment are morally wrong. That is why I do not believe that their positions would be reversed were the label of the government reversed.

Truth is important