ClubAdventist is back!

what would you do with $97M??

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Administrators

Playing checkers is just a waste of time imo. If she said it leads to gambling, I believe it.

Spending time on internet forums is a waste of time too... But are all non-productive time consuming activities sinful and do they lead to gambling? Exactly how does one go about doing a time spent/moral benefit analysis in order to determine the moral merit/time value of doing (or not doing) anything? And by the way, how often have you actually witnessed (or even heard of) gambling on checkers?

Quote:
I think she was talking about bicycle racing as an exhibition, similarly, today we have race-car races. They where also very expensive...

Bicycling for exercise or transportation is ok. What she was talking about was an "exhibition".

Actually no. She was most concerned about the waste of money to buy a bicycle. ($40-$100 - which actually cost less than a good horse.) And the bicycling craze in Battle Creek she was specifically addressing was bicycling for exercise which was being promoted by JH Kellogg over at the Battle Creek Sanitarium. One example of the "exhibition" quite possibly was Kellogg riding endlessly in great circles out in front of the Sanitarium. (See - Kellogg history) Or quite possibly it was the "exhibition" of women riding bicycles in their bloomers... EGW took a dim view of any recreational exercise, whether sports or exercises in a gymnasium. Her view was that productive physical labor in the fresh air was the best way to get exercise.

And yes, the bicycle was in fact considered to be a good and economical transportation alternative for the working man of the day. (Do a bit of research on the history of bicycling...)

Bicycle Club - Battle Creek - circa 1895 (Doesn't look like a bicycle racing club to me.)

If it was only about bicycle racing then why not be equally fair and say that one should not spend money on a horse since horse racing ( and gambling on it) had been around for centuries. Riding a horse leads to racing and gambling more so than playing checkers does... reyes

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Originally Posted By: cubensis
I would give 9.7M to my local church, buy a modest home and a new car, invest some and give away the rest.

Does anybody else recall the case that happened about 1-2 years ago in a South American or Central American nation (can't recall exactly which one)? It was discussed on this forum at the time.

An Adventist person won a large sum of money in a lottery. He (I believe it was a "he") gave 10% to the church as tithe. The church accepted the money, and then disfellowshipped him for gambling.

Thoughts, anyone?

aldona

I always think about this. I would do it anonymously, or if they kicked me out I would go start my own church.

Hmmmmm......maybe to be good and fair, **IF** I should win the lottery, maybe I will set aside some money, to be willed to the church after I die....

Maybe that way they will keep me around for some 'small' projects.... ballchain

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Neil. I am sure they would keep YOU around just for the humor of it. You wouldn't need to bribe them with your money. And Neil ... You are more than just a 'small' project. hifive

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.