ClubAdventist is back!

When did 'elite' become a bad word?

• Moderators

(reposted from my blog for your reading pleasure)

I've heard it used disparagingly a couple of times in the past few days, once in reference to Barack Obama and once in relation to private schools in Australia. It's part of a bigger trend, but maybe I missed the memo: isn't being elite a good thing?

Without elite athletes there'd be no Olympics. Without elite scientists and engineers there'd be far less helpful technology. And so on.

So of course Obama is elite - he was a law professor at Harvard. I'd like to think if I paid the fees for my child to attend Harvard, she wouldn't be being taught by the average or the mediocre, but by the elite.

Perhaps it's just confusion about words (again): what people are trying to say is 'elitist'. Being elitist is a bad thing, but it's a different thing from being elite.

Being elitist is thinking that those who are not elite are of lesser value as human beings. I'll fight that whenever and wherever I can. But help me reclaim the use of the word 'elite' for the positive things it actually describes.

Truth is important

• Administrators

hear hear

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

Like you, I think it would be wrong to raise objections to being "elite." But I don't think anyone has said that is a problem. If they have, I would have to agree with you that they are mistaken. The problem as far as Obama is concerned is that some believe he is an "elitist" or into "elitism."

The question is, is there a valid reason for people to be concerned about this in relation to Obama?

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

The answer to that is clearly YES.

Look at his association with Rev. Wright. The man lives in the lap of luxury.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Again, you've failed to distinguish. Being wealthy is elite (on one category - money: and we can argue about whether other categories are morally better and more important) but it is not automatically the same as being elitist. So an association with wealth is not itself evidence of elitism.

Bill Gates is one of the wealthiest men on the planet, and Warren Buffet is another, and together they're giving billions of dollars to help the poorest and most disadvantaged people on the planet. Clearly *they* don't think the non-elite are of less value.

And I honestly used Obama as an example of a concept - what I was hoping for was a discussion of the elite/elitism concept, not of Obama. (But of course, the net finds its own uses for things.)

Truth is important

• Moderators

Here are a few of the reasons that some have referred to Obama in association with the word "elitism" or "elitist":

Hillary Clinton Mellencamp Calls Obama Remarks 'Elitist'; Obama Admits Less-Than-Eloquence

April 12, 2008 12:16 PM

At an event today in Indianapolis, Ind., that featured the recorded musical stylings of John Mellencamp playing "Small Town," Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., hammered the "small town" remarks of Sen. Barack Oama, D-Ill., as "elitist and they’re out of touch."

The comments, Clinton said per ABC News' Eloise Harper, are "not reflective of the values and beliefs of Americans, certainty not the Americans I know, not the Americas I grew up with, not the Americans I lived with in Arkansas or represent in New York.”

Clinton said "Americans who believe in the Second Amendment believe it's a matter of Constitutional rights. Americans who believe in God believe it is a matter of personal faith. Americans who believe in protecting good American jobs believe it is a matter of the American Dream."

Clinton said she "grew up in a church-going family, a family that believed in the importance of living out and expressing our faith. The people of faith I know don't 'cling to' religion because they're bitter. People embrace faith not because they are materially poor, but because they are spiritually rich. Our faith is the faith of our parents and our grandparents. It is a fundamental expression of who we are and what we believe.

"I also disagree with Senator Obama's assertion that people in this country 'cling to guns' and have certain attitudes about immigration or trade simply out of frustration. People of all walks of life hunt -- and they enjoy doing so because it's an important part of their life, not because they are bitter. And as I've traveled across Indiana and I've talked to a lot of people; what I hear are real concerns about unfair trade practices that cost people jobs. I think hardworking Americans are right to want to see changes in our trade laws. That's what I have said. That's what I have fought for. I would also point out that the vast majority of working Americans reject anti-immigration rhetoric. They want reform so that we remain a nation of immigrants, but also a nation of laws that we enforce and we enforce fairly."

Clinton said "if we are striving to bring people together -- and I believe we should be -- I don't think it helps to divide our country into one America that is enlightened and one that is not...People don't need a president who looks down on them; they need a president who stands up for them...if you want to be the president of all Americans, you need to respect all Americans. And that starts with respecting our hardworking Americans."....

Then this from CNN--

By Kristi Keck

CNN

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama is saddled with a potentially toxic image problem: that he has an elitist attitude.

It has made him a target of attacks from Democratic rival Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. John McCain, the presumed Republican nominee.

It's ironic that one presidential candidate could hang that label on another, said Dr. Drew Westen, professor of psychology and psychiatry at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, and author of "The Political Brain."

"If you think you should be president, by definition you are an elitist, only because you believe that of the 300 million people in America, you are the best person to run it," he said. "There can't be a more elitist statement than that."

Obama's opponents made the elitist charge after the senator from Illinois said some small-town Pennsylvanians are understandably "bitter" over the government's failure to reverse their economic decline and, in their frustration, "cling to guns and religion." He made the statement at a recent fundraiser in San Francisco, California. Watch how Obama is fighting the elitist label »

Obama defended his remarks but said he could have worded them better.

Clinton said his comments were "elitist, out of touch and frankly, patronizing."

McCain agreed that the remarks were "elitist."

Branding a rival elitist is not new in politics. Republicans for years have successfully labeled Democratic presidential candidates as the liberal elite. Portraying their rivals as latte-sipping, sushi-eating insiders, Republicans have connected with some voters by arguing that they understand the values important to the everyday person.....

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

One reason Obama has sometimes been called "elitist" in his attitude is that he appears to be out of touch with the average American. A recent example of that is found in this video where he says that Americans need to make sure that their children learn Spanish or a second language.

Polls show that something like 70% of Americans disagree with him on this issue.

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/09/obama-your-kids-should-learn-spanish/

Here's what some have said about these remarks by Obama:

WASHINGTON, Jul 09, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- At a town hall meeting in Georgia this morning, presumptive Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama told an audience that, "you need to make sure that your child can speak Spanish." Speaking in Powder Springs, Ga., the Illinois Senator said that the nation's chief priority should not be for immigrants to learn English, but for American children to learn Spanish.

"Senator Obama's idea is characteristic of an elitist mindset declaring that it is not the job of immigrants to America to learn English, but that it the job of Americans to learn the language of the immigrants," said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of U.S. English, Inc. "This runs counter to our proud history as a melting pot and counter to the belief of most Americans. Clearly, Senator Obama has spent too much time at the lectern instead of interacting with the American people."

Recent polls have found overwhelming support for making English the official language of the United States. A 2007 Zogby poll found that 83 percent of Americans favor making English the official language, including substantial majorities of Democrats, Republicans and Independents.

"As a naturalized citizen of the United States, I am appalled by Senator Obama's comments," Mujica continued. "When I came to this country, I knew I was coming to a nation of many different nationalities, none more prized than another. I also knew that English was the unifying force between the diverse people, and that it was the language of opportunity and success.

"Nationwide, more than 25 million Americans who struggle with English, who are stuck in menial jobs and low wages because they are unable to converse with the majority of Americans. More than two million of these are native-born Americans who have come to rely on the crutch of government multilingualism. While I agree that we should encourage our children to learn additional languages, telling parents that they must enroll their children in Spanish classes is completely misguided."

Twice in the last three years, the U.S. Senate passed measures to make English the national language and to reduce multilingual entitlements. Legislation is currently pending in both the House and the Senate that would make English the official language. One bill, H.R. 997, the English Language Unity Act, has nearly 150 bi-partisan co-sponsors.

• Moderators

Here is how the term "elitist" has been used with regard to Senator Obama, not as a word describing someone from a wealthy background but as someone who is out of touch with the common people of America. It is being said about him because of some of the things he says in his campaign for president, such as those I've referred to in my previous two posts.

Elitism as a pejorative term

The term "elitism" or the title "elitist" can be used resentfully by a person who is not a member of an elite, or is a member but resents the elite position or uses it in a condescending or cynical manner in order to ridicule or criticize practices which discriminate on the basis of ability or attributes.

Often, such as in politics, it used to describe persons as out of touch with the common people. The implication is that the "elitist" person or group thinks they are better than everyone else, and therefore put themselves before others. It could be seen as a synonym for snob. An elitist is not always seen as truly elite, but only privileged. This use is often employed in politics in societies where social equality is valued, and the middle and lower classes have political power.

"Senator Obama's idea is characteristic of an elitist mindset declaring that it is not the job of immigrants to America to learn English, but that it the job of Americans to learn the language of the immigrants," said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of U.S. English, Inc.

This doesn't sound like the attitude of a snob. Someone who is out of touch with the people maybe. It goes to show that there are different definitions of what an elitist is.

I think this gets into the same issue of semantics as homosexuals calling themselves gay. Some insist there is nothing gay about it.

The English language is dynamic and changes with time. The term "elitist" is generally used as a disparaging term. When the word "elite" is used along with it, it doesn't give me heart burn.

Notice the difference between George W. Bush and John F. Kerry. Both attended ivy league schools. Bush has bachelors from Yale and an MBA from Harvard. That's impressive. Bush goes on vacation to his ranch and clears brush, goes hunting and fishing. Kerry goes skying and while on vacation keeps a group of his own supporters waiting for him for hours before sending word he is canceling the rally. The common guy understands yard work, hunting and fishing. He doesn't understand how you can snob a group of your supporters so you can spend more time on the slopes.

I had a number of professors that insisted we call them by their first name. Since they had their PhD it would be improper to call them "Mr." and to be addressed as "Dr." made them feel too elitist.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Administrators

I see the very same thing happening with the word "intellectual", especially within some corners of the church. There seems to be a growing anti-intellectualism sentiment that resists scholarship or an educated perspective. It manifests itself sometimes in a resistance to progress, new ideas or a scientific approach. And it also shows up in a skepticism of higher education and educated people. Sometimes it really comes across as arrogant pride in being dumb and uneducated.

As a result prominent people and politicians gain acceptance and popularity by being less erudite and articulate since it sounds less intellectual and educated. This effort to identify with the "common man" and to be just a "regular guy" ends up in the least offensively intellectual and the seemingly less educated being elevated to leadership. I find this more than a little troubling since I think it rather beneficial to have smart guys leading us. All this seems a quite painfully obvious and very current fulfillment of the prophecy of HL Mencken back in 1920:

Quote:
"The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

"The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." (Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920)

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Quote:
a quite painfully obvious and very current fulfillmentof the prophecy of HL Mencken back in 1920:

prophecy fulfilled! :)

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Quote:
. A recent example of that is found in this video where he says that Americans need to make sure that their children learn Spanish or a second language.

Polls show that something like 70% of Americans disagree with him on this issue. /quote]

Learning another language will not make one an 'elitist' but it will enlarge one's ability to enjoy life, travel, art, literature, to understand foreign cultures, and on and on. Besides, isn't a foreign language required in high school? and for entrance to college? Spanish is about the easiest to learn and the most useful for Americans. It has a great literature.

So is Obama going to push for a constituional amendment to make U.S. all bilingual? Like in Canada? Will we have roadsigns in Spanish?

Seems possible that sticking to one language could be construed as 'elitist' - ?

Should congress enact a huge tariff on Foreign 'woids'? So our great grandchildren will not palaver in Spanglish?

- just a few drops from a melting mind -

/dAb

dAb

If the US were to become bilingual that wouldn't help the immigrants because they would still have to learn English. Non-Spanish speaking immigrants would have two languages to learn.

I got into college without taking foreign language. I just depends on the college.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
It is socially acceptable, Trilling says, to have read Shakespeare, or even to teach Shakespeare, but to admit to actually be reading Shakespeare is an act of cultural arrogance. Culture-status anxiety, in other words, is not limited to fear of falling too low, but it also includes fear of appearing to aspire too high. And it's evidently okay to be elitist, as long as you're not self-consciously so. -Scott Stossel, Elitism for Eveybody, The Atlantic Monthly, Nov. 29, 2001

I can never admit to reading "The Atlantic Monthly." :)

/dAb

dAb

• Moderators

I see the very same thing happening with the word "intellectual", especially within some corners of the church. There seems to be a growing anti-intellectualism sentiment that resists scholarship or an educated perspective. It manifests itself sometimes in a resistance to progress, new ideas or a scientific approach. And it also shows up in a skepticism of higher education and educated people. Sometimes it really comes across as arrogant pride in being dumb and uneducated.

As a result prominent people and politicians gain acceptance and popularity by being less erudite and articulate since it sounds less intellectual and educated. This effort to identify with the "common man" and to be just a "regular guy" ends up in the least offensively intellectual and the seemingly less educated being elevated to leadership. I find this more than a little troubling since I think it rather beneficial to have smart guys leading us. All this seems a quite painfully obvious and very current fulfillment of the prophecy of HL Mencken back in 1920:

Quote:
"The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

"The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." (Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920)

Tom

How true! H. L. Mencken was 80 years ahead of his time.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

Quote:
It is socially acceptable, Trilling says, to have read Shakespeare, or even to teach Shakespeare, but to admit to actually be reading Shakespeare is an act of cultural arrogance. Culture-status anxiety, in other words, is not limited to fear of falling too low, but it also includes fear of appearing to aspire too high. And it's evidently okay to be elitist, as long as you're not self-consciously so. -Scott Stossel, Elitism for Eveybody, The Atlantic Monthly, Nov. 29, 2001

I can never admit to reading "The Atlantic Monthly." :)

/dAb

[chuckle] You, dAb, have a knack for saying things with very few words.

--But I have to say, my dear sister fell in love with her second husband after seeing his subscription copies of "The Atlantic Monthly" on the coffee table in his apartment.

She was impressed.

(And they had a wonderful marriage.)

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Administrators

So, what other high-brow (intellectual or elitist) activities or pursuits must we be guarded about acknowledging so as not to be offensively snooty? Will anyone willingly, right here, right now, fess up to their personal passion for prestigious pursuits?

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Quote:
personal passion for prestigious pursuits

An excellent elitist alliteration.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Never admit that you like to listen to that late string quartets of Beethoven.

And never even hint that you know anything at all about Charles Ives, Messian, John Cage, George Crumb or Eliot Carter!

(Psst: did you like the work of Merce Cunningham?)

/dAb

dAb

• Moderators

The suggestion that saying kids should learn a second language is elitist is just... bizarre. Looking outward to the rest of the world can only help America in the long run (so no, it's not just about furriners coming in - there's a whole planet out here!)

One of the most elitist notions around is that the rich deserve everything they have and the poor deserve their poverty, and that people are poor because they are lesser human beings.

Truth is important