ClubAdventist is back!

World Youth Day -- Sydney Australia

doctorj

Quote:
Welcome to World Youth Day Sydney 2008

World Youth Day (WYD) is the largest youth event in the world and will be held in Sydney from Tuesday 15 to Sunday 20 July 2008.

Organised by the Catholic Church, WYD brings together young people from around the globe to celebrate and learn about their faith on a more regular basis.

WYD08 will be the largest event Australia has ever hosted. It will attract over 125,000 international visitors - more than the 2000 Olympics.

WYD08 will mark the first visit of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI to Australia.

Through the WYD08 experience, young people from throughout the world will make a pilgrimage in faith, meet, and experience the love of God.

World Youth Day is an invitation from the Pope to the youth of the world to celebrate their faith around a particular theme. Everyone is welcome to attend.

They have taken over our city! Roads are closed, people everywhere! Large Mass Ceremonies are attracting 150,000 and more in one site. The media here in Australia are all over it and giving such a glossy positive light to it all!

The Pope is here and will attract larger audiences again. They say that Mass on Sunday is going to attract 500,000 people all in one venue!

State and Federal Government leaders have paid millions to host this week in Sydney and boy are they making themselves available to the Pope!

What do you make of all this? Is this a resurgence of interest in Roman Catholicism? Is this Pope the one who is going to speak mighty words in the future?

Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening. -- Dorothy Sarnoff

• Moderators

Well both the NSW premier and the national prime minister are Catholics so I guess it is natural they are very enthused. And to manage to tear up part of the main horse racing track in the city, over riding the protests of the racing industry , has to be some sort of achievement.

On a superficial level, seeing young people having a good time without resorting to substance or other abuse, is nice.

I cannot say if this pope will be the one to ring in the changes which fulfil prophecy - but certainly this kind of event puts a very human face on the Vatican.

I didn't think Kevin Rudd was a Catholic. I was under the impression he was some other type of Christian. Does anyone know for sure which Church Kevin Rudd belongs to?

Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening. -- Dorothy Sarnoff

• Moderators

http://www.abc.net.au/compass/s1362997.htm

Kevin Rudd:

It’s kind of not quite me I suppose…

I think with Mum it was a deep deep Catholic view that if you saw someone in distress you couldn’t be indifferent to that, you had to do something about it. And for Mum that was always a personal thing. Like you made them food, you made sure that people were getting access to secondhand clothes if the kids were showing up to school from another family without enough proper clothing. Practical stuff like that. And Mum was very much in that old style Queensland rural Catholic CWA tradition, County Women’s Association of Australia tradition.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

For me it all shows without question that events could go very rapidly under the right circumstances. For instance, if the world were suddenly faced with an impending catastrophe that was perceived to threaten millions of lives, perhaps even most of the world. Various things could cause this, from nuclear or biological warfare to a great energy crises, famine, global economic collapse, disease, "global warming," or a combination of all of them.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Rudd and his family attend the Anglican church of St John the Baptist in Bulimba in his electorate. Although raised a Roman Catholic, Rudd began attending Anglican services in the 1980s with his wife.[4] Like John Howard, Rudd has addressed congregations of the Hillsong Church.

The above comes from Wikipedia, I had thought I had heard him described as Catholic previously.

• Moderators

Thanks. This is all new to me. I do find it very interesting to say the least. It's the first I'd heard of the Pope's visit there. He's not nearly as popular as John Paul II was at the time of his death, but this current pope is becoming increasingly popular and definitely winning a lot of respect from Catholics as well as non-Catholics. President Bush obviously likes him. There were even rumors here-- I think unfounded ones-- that Bush was maybe going to join the Catholic church like his friend, Tony Blair, did.

Well World Youth Day is certainly on here in full. This morning we are expecting more than half-a-million people to turn up in the city center all to get a fleeting view of the Pope as he tours the harbour and then later will go for a "Popemobile" ride through the city. People are being warned not to take their cars into the city today. Loads of people I think will take a sick day off and not even bother about going to work.

Read about the Pope's visit through Sydney today.