ClubAdventist is back!

VP for McCain

The news is ripe for talking about the VP choice for McCain.

As usual ... I think differently from the general flow of the talk. I think that Arnie from CalifIforni would be a 'strong' choice. And it would 'rock' the nation.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

But Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't eligible.

According to the U.S.Constitution a candidate for President [and also, I think, for V-P] must be a native-born U.S. citizen.

(Am I mistaken?)

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

You are so right Jeannie. But I just don't know about the requirements for the VP. Are they the same? Someone with political smarts like Shane will come along I am sure.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I assume that since the VP is the understudy for the President and would become President if the President died the requirements would be the same... but that's logic, not law, so who knows? bwink

Truth is important

If you follow that logic though ... offices such as Secretary of State would have to abide by the rule. And as I recall ... we have had several recent Secretaries of State that were not born in the US.

So, still wondering.

I believe in Hematology.

I believe the line of succession is VP, Speaker of the House then Secretary of State. If something were to happen to the President and the VP wasn't eligible to become President, the Speaker of the House would become President and the VP would remain the VP.

It is interesting that foreign-born US citizens were eligible to become President if the became US citizens before the Constitution was ratified but not afterwards. Since there was hardly a federal government before the Constitution was ratified, it would be interesting to know how a person even became a US citizen before that.

Some believe McCain is not eligible since he was born in the canal zone of Panama. Of course most consider a person born to American parents to be a "natural born citizen" regardless of where they are born since they are in fact born a US citizen.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

A friend of mine was born in Mannheim, Germany. His father was in the Army serving his country there. So yes no matter where you are born, if born to parents who are citizens of the US, you are a citizen.

I got this from the internet:

"A person must be a native-born citizen at least 35 years of age and a resident of the united states for at least 14 years.The Vice President is elected for a term of four years. This official's only constitutional duty (unless he or she succeeds to the presidency or serves temporarily as acting President) is to preside over the Senate. Since the adoption of the 25th Amendment in 1967,the President has had the power to nominate a new Vice President whenever that office becomes vacant,upon confirmation by a majority vote of both houses of congress,the nominee assumes office".

pkrause

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

A friend of mine was born in Mannheim, Germany. His father was in the Army serving his country there....

You are right about children born to US citizens being American citizens.

I was in Mannheim also, in the US Army, but only visiting there for awhile. That is where the Army's main stockade is. Things look green and pretty on the outside, but it sure ain't pretty and nice on the inside. Don't go if you can help it.

post-1796-140967430545_thumb.jpg

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

You're right. Our governor is ineligible to serve as U.S. President under the constitution as it now stands. There has been some talk of changing it so that he could serve.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

The question is not could he serve as President John. But, can he serve as Vice President? Do you know?

I believe in Hematology.

I believe the line of succession is VP, Speaker of the House then Secretary of State. If something were to happen to the President and the VP wasn't eligible to become President, the Speaker of the House would become President and the VP would remain the VP.

Shane .... This is the thinking that I was leaning towards. This way .... Arnie could be the VP.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I'd actually be reasonably comfortable with a President Arnie - he's a Republican who has led his state to move further and faster on the environmental issues of the day than almost any other jurisdiction in the world (except some of the Scandinavians) and has progressive views in a number of other areas as well. I'm not convinced of his character in all areas, given the persistent stories of his infidelities and gropings, but in terms of policy I think there's a lot there to like.

Truth is important

Good then ... it is settled.

Vice President Arnie

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Good then ... it is settled.

Vice President Arnie

Afraid it can't happen under the current Constitution. Maybe they will amend it.

WASHINGTON – Schwarzenegger for president in 2008?

No, he's not eligible. Born in Austria, he's barred by the Constitution. But that would change under an amendment introduced Wednesday by a fellow California Republican.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher's proposal would allow anyone who's been a U.S. citizen for 20 years to run for the nation's highest office. That would include Arnold Schwarzenegger – bodybuilder, movie star and now governor of California.

Schwarzenegger, who became a citizen in 1983, has said he supports amending the Constitution so foreign-born citizens can run for president. But he's sidestepped questions about whether he might want to run, saying he's focused on governing California. .........

If the language of the Constitution itself before amendment was not clear enough by itself, the 12th Amendment has the following language which rules this out: "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

So, provided it is not changed in the next couple of month, maybe we can hope for something along that line to happen four years from now.

Ahhh. To Bad ...

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Yes, I would like to see that happen, too.

By the way, a daughter of a cousin works in his cabinet, in the California Department of Water Resources. She sends pics of the governor and of letters about what she does to my cousin. Some are very funny. One time she said she was standing near him at a photo op when she accidently got dirt all over "the governor's nice shoes." She almost died of embarrassment at first, but he let her know right away it was OK.

I am sure that he is used to people trying to throw 'dirt' on him. Much of it does not seem to stick though.

I believe in Hematology.