ClubAdventist is back!

Tell us what you really think

• Moderators

I guess we don't always know if what pundits say is what they really think but here's a glimpse....

A couple of GOP pundits talking over a "hot" mic.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/03/hot-mic-catches-gop-strategists-trashing-palin-pick/

Prominent Republican analysts Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy became the latest victims of an open microphone Wednesday, caught after a segment on MSNBC trashing John McCain's pick of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Noonan, a Wall Street Journal columnist and former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan, and Murphy, a campaign strategist and onetime aide to John McCain, can both be heard expressing disbelief with the pick of Palin after they apparently thought they were in a commercial break.

“I come out of the blue swing-state governor world, Engler, Whitman, Thompson, Mitt Romney,” Murphy said during the mishap which has since been posted on YouTube. Murphy later flatly says of the pick, "It's not going to work."

Noonan is heard going even further, saying of the presidential race, "It's over."

"I think they went for this — excuse me– political bulls–t about narratives," Noonan also said. "Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it."

Murphy, who was a senior adviser to John McCain's 2000 presidential bid, also adds, "You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical."

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Seems like by this time everyone would have learned to assume that any microphone is on and working. People should only say around a microphone what they wouldn't mind the whole world hearing.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Interesting....This is telling from the GOP...they have no confidence in her...No matter what the talking heads say, the senior GOP leadership really have no confidence in her abilities...She's too inexperienced...

Very interesting.......And anything Drudge, Limbaugh, Savage, or anyother talking head says, is trumped by this....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

That's why they're called pundits; commentators on the acts.

Some act. Some yada, yada.

I say this whilst still respecting Noonan for her speechwriting ability. That said, I don't think she could have written a better speech that that delivered by Palin tonight.

The 'narrative' has become the 'event', desparately needed and which coalesces the Party.

Without Palin, McCain stood no chance against a jumped-up Major Media. At least now, he has the GOP base, for whatever

it's worth. We'll see.

Quote:
Quote:Neil D

She's too inexperienced...

[smiling]Like, the opposition ticket measures up? Yeah.

The man from Acorn and good ol' Joe. The head of that ticket has less experience than does the person filling the second slot on the Republican ticket. Moreover, I'd ante Palin in a game of high stakes diplomacy against ol' Joe - any day.

• Moderators

...I don't think she could have written a better speech that that delivered by Palin tonight...

She gave a very good speech, no question about that.

I've always enjoyed listening to and watching both party's conventions, ever since 1964. I think Palin's will be remembered as one of the best.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Quote:
Quote:Neil D

She's too inexperienced...

[smiling]Like, the opposition ticket measures up? Yeah.

The man from Acorn and good ol' Joe. The head of that ticket has less experience than does the person filling the second slot on the Republican ticket. Moreover, I'd ante Palin in a game of high stakes diplomacy against ol' Joe - any day.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

In a span of 24 hours, Palin has set herself up, potentially, as the heir apparent to the 21st century Republican Party. (MSNBC)

Is it not now Palin's party rather than McBush's?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

In a span of 24 hours, Palin has set herself up, potentially, as the heir apparent to the 21st century Republican Party. (MSNBC)

Is it not now Palin's party rather than McBush's?

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

The McCain camp is really fighting to take the issue of change away from Obama. McCain proposes to change the Republican Party as well as Washington. A vote for McCain is really a vote to change the entire direction of the GOP. Of course, many people in the GOP are not happy about that. In fact, some would like to see McCain lose. I think McCain offers to change the Republican party as much as Teddy Roosevelt did.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

>>Hey kiddo...talk to your republican 'pundits"...<<

Granted; however, if you'll reread my post - you'll find that the preface to my position is 'pundits and commentators' - those who _do_ and those who _yada, yada_

>>I merely quoted...<<

Don’t we all?

• Moderators

A vote for McCain is really a vote to change the entire direction of the GOP. Of course, many people in the GOP are not happy about that. In fact, some would like to see McCain lose. I think McCain offers to change the Republican party as much as Teddy Roosevelt did.

I think you're right on that. Mc Cain can see the writing on the wall for the GOP if it doesn't change. The challenge is that he has to keep the support of the right wing to win the election. If he can win the election I think he'll show his true, more moderate (at least on domestic issues) tendencies as he governs.

Einstein

>>Is it not now Palin's party rather than McBush's?<<

Who knows? four, maybe 8 years from now, those now intoning “McBush” may be reprising with McPalin, yes?

bwink

>>I think you're right on that. Mc Cain can see the writing on the wall for the GOP if it doesn't change.<<

The Blue-bloods are killing the Party. And, you’re right, the same clamor that saw the end of the Roman Empire is being replayed here, that is: the freebie, the give me mentality! free this, free that, gimme! gimme! gimme! So, the numbers favor the Party of Marx, though a theoretically pure Marxism, of course.

Those whom the Dems seem to attract – appear have forgotten Kennedy’s exhortation, “Ask not...”

C’mon..., just bustin’ you’re chops bwink

>>The challenge is that he has to keep the support of the right wing to win the election.<<

There would not be a right wing per se in the Grand Old Party – if it had not stumbled so far leftward; it would simply be the party of conservatives, y’know, the anchor in a time of storm – sort of thing.

>>If he can win the election I think he'll show his true, more moderate (at least on domestic issues) tendencies as he governs.<<

Moderate? you mean, like, voting neither ‘no’ nor ‘yes’ but – ‘present’ – sort of moderation? :-o

• Moderators

The Blue-bloods are killing the Party.

Are you saying Bush is a blue-blood, he has ruined the party. Who else is to blame for the state the part is in?

Quote:
Those whom the Dems seem to attract – appear have forgotten Kennedy’s exhortation, “Ask not...”

he also said in the same speech.....To those peoples in the huts and villages across the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required - not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

Conservatism has landed the party and the country in the mess it is in now. Conservatives have been running the party and the country for the last 8 years. They had control of congress for six of those years. OOps, I forgot, that was the Republicans.

Einstein

Quote:
Quote:jasd

The Blue-bloods are killing the Party.

>>Are you saying Bush is a blue-blood, he has ruined the party. Who else is to blame for the state the part is in?<<

First, a guy whose home away from office is in Crawford, TX – is not considered, by those on our Eastern Seaboard, a Blue-blood bwink

Second, I restate, “The Blue-bloods are killing the Party.” (that said, one cannot remain oblivious to the ‘demographic’ dynamics/numbers)

So, how bad is this supposed ‘state of the Party’? I mean, shouldn’t ‘bama, even were he a schlub, be, like, 30 points ahead in the polls? The GOP cannot have self-detonated to the extent you assert. Given that the pollsters (with few exceptions) are in the tank for him – and, no matter how they attempt to drive the polls – there is a statistical dead heat between the candidates. So, how bad is this supposed

‘state of the Party’?

Quote:

>>he also said in the same speech.....To those peoples in the huts and villages across the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required - not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.<<

Good point. However, oops, I guess I missed the segue moving this exchange from one where we were addressing the internal/domestic dialogue -

Quote:

...is being replayed here,

to the arena of foreign policy – with a portion of an inaugural address – aimed mainly at the struggle for the hearts and minds of men vis-à-vis the Communist reach for global hegemony...

However, that is a good point you proffer.

>>Conservatism has landed the party and the country in the mess it is in now.<<

Oh, like, we are immune from or impervious to times and cycles? Since when? Anyway,

whatever “mess” that seems to consume the left is one in which they share responsibility. The noisome Major Media and its fellow travelers with their unremitting gnawing, sniping, and chipping at the underpinnings upon which Americanism is founded – come to mind. Add to that the multipliers – the incessant whine and the constant grouse – and sheesh, I suppose one might arrive at the conclusion – mess.

>>Conservatives have been running the party and the country for the last 8 years.<<

I still wonder – what mess?

>>They had control of congress for six of those years. OOps, I forgot, that was the Republicans.<<

Can you imagine what a g’awful mess we’d actually be in should the 9-percenter Congress presently in power – have been wielding that power for “those six years”!?

The McCain camp is really fighting to take the issue of change away from Obama. McCain proposes to change the Republican Party as well as Washington. A vote for McCain is really a vote to change the entire direction of the GOP. Of course, many people in the GOP are not happy about that. In fact, some would like to see McCain lose. I think McCain offers to change the Republican party as much as Teddy Roosevelt did.

I think that you are correct, in that McCain has wanted to change the Republican party. It was taken over by the religious right, who were, up until Palin, feeling disafected. With the religious right suddenly energized by the nomination of Palin, a conservative religious right republican, they believe that McCain's administration will be the last of the liberal republicanism....The political stage will come back to the conservatives...

I had always wondered over the struggle of woman's rights, and if the US got a woman president, how ironic that would be if Jesus came....along with all the previously biblical problems associated with the return of Jesus...

A woman started this sin problem....will a woman be in power when the world ends?

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
A woman started this sin problem....will a woman be in power when the world ends?

Neil my friend.

I take offense to this comment. Totally sexist.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I had always wondered over the struggle of woman's rights, and if the US got a woman president, how ironic that would be if Jesus came....along with all the previously biblical problems associated with the return of Jesus...

I like Palin so far, don't you? I don't mean personally-- although that too-- but I like her politics as far as I know them.

Of course she has lots to learn, but I bet she's not a slow learner. She's already shown she can govern and run a state, and that is more than Senator Obama has done. Obama has never led anything. I don't even know what he's achieved in the U.S. Senate. I saw an interview once of a congressional supporter of Obama who was asked by Chris Matthews what Obama has done in the Senate that shows he's a leader, and this supporter said he didn't know. I was astonished at this man's honesty.

But I am surprised to hear you say this about women. What would Gloria Steinman say?

Do you suppose Gloria like Palin?

Here's what she said about her:

Quote:
Selecting Sarah Palin, who was touted all summer by Rush Limbaugh, is no way to attract most women, including die-hard Clinton supporters. Palin shares nothing but a chromosome with Clinton. Her down-home, divisive and deceptive speech did nothing to cosmeticize a Republican convention that has more than twice as many male delegates as female, a presidential candidate who is owned and operated by the right wing and a platform that opposes pretty much everything Clinton's candidacy stood for -- and that Barack Obama's still does. To vote in protest for McCain/Palin would be like saying, "Somebody stole my shoes, so I'll amputate my legs"/Gloria Steinem.

Quote:
I don't even know what he's achieved in the U.S. Senate. I saw an interview once of a congressional supporter of Obama who was asked by Chris Matthews what Obama has done in the Senate that shows he's a leader, and this supporter said he didn't know. I was astonished at this man's honesty.

What I've heard he's done is to vote 'present' 180 times. I guess that's safe.

Said to Neil by John317 ...

Quote:
But I am surprised to hear you say this about women.

Yes Neil ... I agree.

I believe in Hematology.

130 times. And that was the Illinois Senate.

Sorry. Must have been a typo.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Quote:
I don't even know what he's achieved in the U.S. Senate. I saw an interview once of a congressional supporter of Obama who was asked by Chris Matthews what Obama has done in the Senate that shows he's a leader, and this supporter said he didn't know. I was astonished at this man's honesty.

What I've heard he's done is to vote 'present' 180 times [corrected to 130 in Illinois Senate]. I guess that's safe.

I heard this, too, but I don't understand it. Why would he do this? If he was there, it seems like he would have had a firm position on those things. Maybe he was trying to avoid a tough decision or an unpopular vote. But in any case, that does not appear to me to be a way of showing leadership.

Neil my friend.

I take offense to this comment. Totally sexist.

George Bernard Shaw

Gloria's comments are 'right on.' Why exchange good democratic policies for flawed republican policies, just because Hillary didn't get on the ticket? It seem 'safer' for us stick with the Democratic ticket. IMHO /dAb

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Moderators

The problem with Gloria's comments is that they show she is primarily interested in taking sides with political parties. The fact is that Palin is a woman who is doing everything that Steinmen fought for-- she is a mother as well as having a very successful career as a leader. It seems to me that this is something about which Gloria Steinman would have positive things to say, rather than simply finding fault with the fact that Gloria doesn't agree with Palin's political choices.

If I am in favor of women's issues and want to see women succeeding in life, I am not going to bash a successful woman who happens to join a party different from mine. That only shows an inability to distinguish women's issues from partisan politics.

I thought it was great for Geraldine A. Ferraro to be named as a running mate and it didn't matter to me what her politics were.