ClubAdventist is back!

Shameless much?

Dang - I do it regularly

No. Don't tell me.

ComeON. Be a MAN.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

The reason most people listen to Rush Limbaugh or watch programs like the Daily Show is because these programs reinforce what the people already believe. It isn't about trying to find out what the reality of the issues really is. It is just about finding someone on the air that is saying what the person has already decided to believe.

These programs can serve a purpose to thinking people with open minds that actually want to take an informed position on the issue. But in order to serve a purpose the programs must be balanced out with the other extreme.

The Sunday morning programs are very good because they have guests on from both sides. Such programs are "Meet The Press", "Face The Nation", "This Week" and "FOXNews Sunday".

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

I agree with your overall point here, Shane.

But one difference is the tone. The Daily Show is irreverent, yes, and sometimes swears (bleeped out) more than I'd like - but the tone is funny, jocular, generally warm. Jon Stewart will challenge the Republican guests he interviews, but he treats them with respect. The desired reaction to the Daily Show is laughter and release of tension, with some thought thrown in.

Contrast that with Limbaugh and O'Reilly; the desired tone is anger and derision of those who are different. What is O'Reilly calling people with whom he disagrees in that segment? 'Pinheads'.

A regular Daily Show watcher is going to be a happy person who likes to laugh a lot. A regular watcher/listener of most of the right-wing shows is going to be an angry, angry person who holds many of his fellow Americans in contempt.

Truth is important

A couple of points. Limbaugh has so much humor in his program that critics use to just write him off as an entertainer. During football season he talks about football almost as much as politics - especially the day after a game.

I don't put O'Reilly in the same category as Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck. He is not as conservative and frequently has guests on his programs that disagree with him. He has been known to get load but that is not always the case. Many of his guests that disagree with him are treated well, thanked and return again later. I think O'Reilly is in the same category as William F. Buckley Jr. was.

• Administrators

...I think O'Reilly is in the same category as William F. Buckley Jr. was.

saywa

Not even from the same planet! To try to put Bill-O in the same category as Buckley is like trying to put Forrest Gump in the same category as Einstein. Ain't no way, no how!

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I heard an interview of William F. Buckley Jr., prior to his death, on the Rush Limbaugh program where Buckley stated he had passed the torch to others like O'Reilly. I was surprised when he said that because it was like a slap in the face to Limbaugh. Not only was Limbaugh doing the interview but Limbaugh is a harsh critic of O'Reilly. In fact, whenever a caller mentions O'Reilly on the Limbaugh show Rush says, "Who? Never heard of the guy." Then Buckley comes on and says he has passed the torch to O'Reilly.

Certainly Buckley was in a class of his own but in general , of the commentators in the business today, O'Reilly falls closest to the category. He is certainly closer than Limbaugh, Hannity or Beck.