ClubAdventist is back!

African American Obama ???

Can anyone tell me the percentage of African American blood that Obama actually has?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Um, a couple possible responses:

1. Why is it important?

2. Ain't no such animal as 'African American blood': AS far as I know his father is African and his mother American, so perhaps half one and half the other - except that there's no such thing as either, either, since Africans would typically regard themselves as members of a specific ethnic group rather than 'African' in terms of race and America has long been a melting pot. And so on...

Truth is important

Um, a couple possible responses:

1. Why is it important?

2. Ain't no such animal as 'African American blood': AS far as I know his father is African and his mother American, so perhaps half one and half the other - except that there's no such thing as either, either, since Africans would typically regard themselves as members of a specific ethnic group rather than 'African' in terms of race and America has long been a melting pot. And so on...

#1. What made you think it was important? It's chit chat ... which is what we do here. There isn't a requirement on this forum that what we talk about be 'important'.

#2. Now to the details ....

I had heard that his father was not African. But, I could be wrong. Just mostly curious. Does anyone know where his father was from?

Which brings me to the other question. Why do African American's call them selves this?

I believe in Hematology.

Okay ... here is what I've read. I read that Obama is part Irish and part Welsh. Now ain't that somethin. Can you see that in him?

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I had heard that his father was not African.

bigsigh

Quote:
Why do African American's call them selves this?

bigsigh

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

If someone tells me that he wants to be called "African American," I will be glad to do it. Otherwise I will call him American the same as I do any other American if he's an American citizen.

I understand why some want to be called by that, but personally I think it's a bad idea for them as a people. It reinforces the idea in people's minds that blacks aren't fully American. It would be the same, I expect, if all white Americans insisted on being referred to as "European-Americans."

But we don't want to be European. We like Europe and admire some things about Europe but the reason we or our ancestors came here was that they and we want to take on a new identity. That new identity is American.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the difference of it means to be American as opposed to European, a good writer to read is Henry James. That was his main theme throughout most of his very wonderful (though some would say tedious, complex) books.

James Baldwin, in books such as, Another Country, did somewhat the same for the black Americans. He often wrote about the American black man in France. Richard Wright also lived in France but I can't recall of any book about the topic.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Quote:
If someone tells me that he wants to be called "African American," I will be glad to do it. Otherwise I will call him American the same as I do any other American if he's an American citizen.

thinking ............................... heavysigh

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

You guys can sigh all you want. But it is better to know the truth than a rumor.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Wasn't 'African American' largely just a move on from 'black' and 'negro' and other terms that defined people only by the colour of their skin? So rather than simply a colour, it was meant to connect to a heritage. There are plenty of other groups in America: 'Irish Americans' seem to have a population explosion each St Paddy's Day. bwink

I agree it'd be better in some ways if everyone was simply 'American', but if it's necessary for some reason to describe a particular group of people, it could be argued that 'African American' is a better alternative than 'black'.

(I'm pontificating on this from a very uninformed position on the other side of the world.)

But I believe we should look at Obama on the issue of qualifications, not race, just as we should look at Palin on qualifications, not gender.

Truth is important

• Moderators

I agree completely with your post, Bravus. His race should have nothing whatever to do with his selection or election. It should have only to do with experience, judgment, issues, character, etc.

It was Jesse Jackson who announced that from then on, black Americans were to be referred to as African Americans. One of the problems is that there are many black Americans who do not want to be referred to that way.

Besides, having spent years with black Americans, I can tell you that they almost never refer to each other as African-Americans.

Even Jesse Jackson.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I ... as a Swiss n Swedish American ... Agree with you.

But in that case ... Obama clearly loses in my opinion.

I believe in Hematology.