ClubAdventist is back!

Domestic Military Operations

carolaa

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts about this:

"Army Unit to Deploy in October for Domestic Operations

"Beginning in October, the Army plans to station an active unit inside the United States for the first time to serve as an on-call federal response in times of emergency. The 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team has spent thirty-five of the last sixty months in Iraq, but now the unit is training for domestic operations. The unit will soon be under the day-to-day control of US Army North, the Army service component of Northern Command. The Army Times reports this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to Northern Command. The paper says the Army unit may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control. The soldiers are learning to use so-called nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals and crowds."

[Democracy Now!]

• Moderators

I guess this could be seen to fit with the (?conspiracy) theories I have heard about what is likely

to happen around the time of the presidential election and shortly thereafter.

(And I see no need to repeat those ideas here).

Yes, it sure would fit in with lots of those kinds of theories.

I guess what struck me was what happened just recently at the DNC, where a bunch of reporters were arrested in the course of their work covering marches and rallies. Not to mention all of the "pre-emptive" raids on various organizations prior to both of the conventions. It seems that freedom of speech and freedom of the press are in serious jeopardy in this country. So I can see how "crowd control" could be one of the things they have in mind, as hinted at in the headline.

Which makes me wonder what kinds of crowds they are anticipating needing to control. Do they sense that civil unrest is getting worse? Or are they preparing for the economy to collapse?

Or perhaps they will simply be helping with disasters and stuff like that.

I just wonder what other ideas people might have for why the Army is taking this step.

Sounds like it is in response to the federal government's new role in disaster relief. Prior to Hurricane Katrina the primary role in disaster relief was local and state governments. After New Orleans and Louisiana messed up so bad Congress passed a law placing the primary responsibility for disaster relief on the federal government.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

This may be the first time that active U.S. military have been given a domestic mission. However, there is a past history of active U.S. military being used for domestic purposes.

In addition to active U.S. military being used for domestic purposes, there is a history of Federalizing a State National Guard and using it for domestic purposes. So, while slightly different this is an example of the Federal governmnet using the U.S. military for domestic purposes.

Gregory