ClubAdventist is back!

Father Went To Sleep In the Lord This Morning

John317

• Moderators

"Vaughn Allen." My father, age 94, went to sleep in the Lord at 6:00 AM EST this morning. It was peaceful. He knew it was time and wanted to go, and I told God only a few hours before that it was OK. My sisters and a brother were with him at the time.

I want to thank everyone for all of your very kind thoughts and prayers. God bless you all!

He loved Jesus with all his heart. We're certain to see him when Jesus returns, just like 1 Thess. 4: 13-18 says.

He was a wonderful dad, a dedicated Christian, a former educator, administrator, SDA pastor, and author. He last retired from the ministry when he was 85 years old.

He was one of the first teachers at San Pasqual Academy and the founding principal of Orangewood SDA Academy, near Los Angeles.

He wrote a well-known biography of William Miller, called, The Urgent Voice. Also the author of 6 other books, two of which are currently available at the SDA Book Centers. One is called The Battle Is Real (And So Is the Victory), a second one, Victory On the Battlefield, and another, You Can Be Free, all used widely in the prison ministry.

post-1796-140967432551_thumb.jpg

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

Jim,

Please accept my heartfelt condolences for you and the rest of your family.

A long life well lived

In God's hands and heart it is

The end we all face but dread

No matter expected tears are shed

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Well John317 sorry to hear of your lose. You have our condolences also. As I was walking and talking to the Lord this morning, I was asking God to allow your father to go to his rest in peace if that was his will. So when I read your post I thanked the Lord for this. I know that you know that the next thing he sees will be Jesus coming to get him. Sorry about your dad but at the same time happy for him that he did not have to suffer.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing, John317, but am happy that he died in the blessed hope. There's no better way to do it!

May the peace of Jesus be your family's at this time of sorrow.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

My condolences also go out to you and your family, John317. I know you will miss your father greatly even though you know you will see him on Resurrection Day.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

My condolences and prayers too, there will be a gap in your life but you can be glad he is now resting and waiting for his Lord.

• Moderators

Thanks, Tom, for those comforting thoughts. I appreciate hearing from you, and your little poem is so true. I know that God has him in his hands.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Yes, God certainly did answer your prayer to allow him to go to rest in peace. That's exactly what happened. He was ready as much as anyone can be. Thank you, pk. God bless.

• Moderators

I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing, John317, but am happy that he died in the blessed hope. There's no better way to do it!

May the peace of Jesus be your family's at this time of sorrow.

We're sad, naturally, because he's not with us, but like you say, there is no better way than knowing when it does happen that you'll be united with a loved one again. God gave him a great privilege to be able to help spread the gospel.

I saw and heard him give quite a few funeral talks-- once at the funeral of his favorite aunt-- and he always used those occasions as a time to appeal to people to give their lives to Jesus.

So I know he would want the same thing emphasized. Jesus-- always Jesus.

Thank you, Gail, for your words of encouragement.

• Moderators

God gave your dad a long and full life. He will be missed, and you are in our prayers.

Yes, He sure did. We can't complain about that.

Funny thing is that he started out as a "premie," so underdeveloped that he couldn't even cry when he got burned by the stove. My grandmother put him in a shoe-box the first few nights in the cold Wisconsin winter. He was born Jan. 2.

Thanks so much for your prayers, carolaa.

• Moderators

No one ever wants these things to happen and it's always sad, but there's a silver lining in the dark clouds knowing that he's at peace and will live again. Only a few days ago, he told me Jesus is coming soon, so I know where his hopes and thoughts were.

Thank you for your prayers. We feel surrounded by Jesus' love and His promises mean everything to us.

• Moderators

My condolences also go out to you and your family, John317. I know you will miss your father greatly even though you know you will see him on Resurrection Day.

You are certainly right there, Pam. You may know how it is-- you want to call them and share something with them like you've been doing all your life, and then it hits you, "Oh yeah, I can't talk to him any more."

Fortunately, by God's grace, we can be sure this situation won't last forever.

• Moderators

My condolences and prayers too, there will be a gap in your life but you can be glad he is now resting and waiting for his Lord.

Thanks so much, Nan, for your prayers and your loving thoughts. It's good to know there are people like you here at the Forum. It's going to take a while to get used to the idea that he's not there when I want to talk, but I know that Jesus will be close, and I trust His promises.

My condolences John, to you and your family.

DB

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. He was clearly a father to be proud of.

It would be nice if you could tell us more about him in the obituary section, maybe even a copy of the eulogy if there is one..

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

It is very difficult to lose someone and a loving earthly father is no exception.

While I lost my father seven years ago, I still miss him nearly every day. I can hardly wait for Jesus to return so we can be reunited.

Somehow I feel that you too are longing for that day even more so, especially with the wound of loss so fresh.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

• Moderators

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. He was clearly a father to be proud of.

It would be nice if you could tell us more about him in the obituary section, maybe even a copy of the eulogy if there is one..

OK, thanks for that invitation. I'll do that. Give me few days and it will be done. Many thanks, Stan.

• Moderators

It is very difficult to lose someone and a loving earthly father is no exception.

While I lost my father seven years ago, I still miss him nearly every day. I can hardly wait for Jesus to return so we can be reunited.

Somehow I feel that you too are longing for that day even more so, especially with the wound of loss so fresh.

I 'm sorry for your loss, too, Child. I know it's hard to get over losing them, because I lost my mother about 10 years ago, but I still sometimes really miss her very badly.

My father and I put her ashes in the ground on his property and there was a little memorial service there where we sang and read some Bible verses and talked about her life. We both laughed and cried, of course, but it was really a celebration of her life and of the fact that we will one day be reunited when Jesus returns.

At such times, the belief in Christ's return becomes even more important than ever.

Knowing my mom and dad, I believe that they would be glad to see these things draw us closer to Jesus so that we experience His presence and come to trust Him personally more than before.

I read that father passed on. I wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you. It sounds like you are contemplating all that he brought to your life and you have been bringing hope to your loss. May your grief not be a burden, but a sign of the preciousness of your father.

Richard

• Moderators

Hi there, Richard,

That means a lot to hear from you! Thank you so much!

Yes, I do look upon this time-- sad tho' it is-- more as an occasion for celebrating his life than as a time of mourning his passing. I do have minutes when I cry, such as now, but most of the time I am just glad for the happy memories and glad that he is not suffering but is at peace.

My sincere thanks for your very warm thoughts. John

PS. What really helps is that I was with him when his family members, and my mother, died, and I saw how brave and strong he was, even though he was hurting inside. He always thought of other people first, and I found that admirable.

When I first read this thread last evening, I was greatly touched. John317, although I did not know your father, it is clear he was a saint.

May you and yours continue to be comforted in the hope of the soon coming resurrection!

Dear John317, please know that your family are still in our prayers. As the other's have said, you will meet again (PTL) but while here, he will be missed.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{John317}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• Moderators

It's good to hear from you, Servant. Thank you for your encouraging message.

I was already looking forward to Christ's return, but now I have an added reason to look forward to it. I feel so fortunate and blessed to have had him all these years, so all I really can do is thank God for dad's long life which he dedicated to living for Jesus Christ.

You can find some of his books if you Google "Vaughn Allen" or the book "The War Is Real."

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...4&ct=result

It is about the reality of the war between Christ and Satan. Christ has already won the war, but the battle continues, over the hearts and minds of people for whom Christ gave up His life. It is a very real battle. It especially involves many of our fellow Seventh-day Adventists. The things written in his books are real.

I'll be posting a kind of obituary about him in the next few days. I'll also post a picture of him and my oldest sister, taken almost exactly 10 years ago, as he was walking with a shovel up the hill in eastern Tennessee to where we would bury my mother. Yesterday, Sabbath afternoon, my father was buried up near where the trees are in this picture. Dr. George Akers, former General Conference secretary of education, gave a little talk at the grave site. It was a good way to say good-bye because it reminded us that it won't be too long before we'll say hello again, and this time there won't be any more goodbyes.