ClubAdventist is back!

What's your dream bible?

mikeyswen79

For those who have nothing else to do (lol):

My Dream Bible:

- Study Bible (Introductions at the beginning of each section. Footnotes)

- HMS Richards study notes (seem interesting, I've never read them)

- Ellen White study notes

- NIV, KJV, NASB, ESV, Clear Word (because I havent read it), NRSV

- Adventist Hymnal (might as well throw this in)

- Lots of maps

- Concordance

- Bible Dictionary

- Cross-references

- Jesus words in red

- Leather

- book marks

- NONE of that births, deaths, family member stuff, I don't use my bible to log that so there's no need. :)

We're probably looking at a 15 pound bible here and I may edit this later, but nonetheless...X)

Yours?

I don't consider Ellen White to be part of the Bible. So, I would not put her in my dream Bible. Many try to put her on par with the Bible ... so I think it is dangerous to have her in the Bible. I would add her in an additional book that we could call a supplement to the Bible.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I know of a book binder who specializes in making such Bibles if you give them the books. They will take parts of books or Bibles and put them together in one Bible. I had them do this with several of my favorite Bibles. They will add as many pages for notes as you want.

My favorite Bible is a Thompson Chain NASB and the Analytical Bible containing both the KJV and the ASV (1901).

By the way, there is already a Bible that has most of what you would like. It is called the New Study Bible, and includes the SDA Hymnal, Ellen White study notes. It also has a good set of SDA Bible studies. Published by Mission Publishing, Academy Lane, OK.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

I don't consider Ellen White to be part of the Bible. So, I would not put her in my dream Bible. Many try to put her on par with the Bible ... so I think it is dangerous to have her in the Bible. I would add her in an additional book that we could call a supplement to the Bible.

Yet people think nothing of having many other writers' comments in their Bibles. If it is reasonable to have the comments of Martin Luther or Calvin in a Bible, it is certainly OK to have the comments of Ellen White.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Yes I meant the Ellen White comments. I look at it as study notes and I don't much see the difference from any other study bible

• Administrators

Yet people think nothing of having many other writers' comments in their Bibles. If it is reasonable to have the comments of Martin Luther or Calvin in a Bible, it is certainly OK to have the comments of Ellen White.

Without getting into Scofield, which we don't sell, you can also get Bibles with John Maxwell notes, Blackaby, Max Lucado, Philip Yancey and notes by well-known Christian women. There seems to be quite a few NIV and NKJV Bibles with study notes.

I don't currently use a study Bible but if I did I would like the ones with the EGW notes, I think. But there may come a time when I might be able to use study notes designed for leadership, or couples, or recovery, archaeology, etc.

BTW- the KJV Bibles with the EGW study notes are now also available with the History of Redemption included. Zippered cover in leather.

The Bible I'm using right now is a now discontinued It Is Written special edition with the Vandeman lessons. It has LOTS of helps, such as the history between the Testaments and a Harmony of the Gospels chart.

Amazing Facts has come out with a nice Bible along the same lines as the old It Is Written seminar Bible, featuring most of the helps found there. It is available in NKJV.

The feature I like the most in my current Bible is the Cyclopedic Index in the front of the book. It's like a topical Index.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

My favotire Bible is one I own...It is the only truely leather (not bonded leather), wide margin KJV (KJV only becuase it is the most widely accepted for giving Bible studies. It is a wonderful wide-margin because the margins are on all 4 sides where I have plenty of room to write. Here is the product description:

The Concord Wide-Margin Edition is extremely popular with KJV Bible scholars. It features wide margins all around the text for verse-by-verse annotations, as well as centre-column cross-references, a glossary, concordance, 15 colour maps and the Translators' Preface. This special Bible, for the discerning Bible scholar, offers the much admired Concord text in a superlative flexible black goatskin leather binding, edge-lined with Kidrel. It is printed on a smooth, opaque and resilient paper with art-gilt edges, and includes two ribbon markers to help find the reader's place.

Taylor's Note: It also has about 20 pages (40 if you count both sides) of lined pages in the back for "notes" where I have all my Bible study notes listed by topic with an additional 20 pages or so of blank non-lined papare for even more notes.

(Leather) : 1408 Pages

Release Date: October 01, 2003

Label: Cambridge University Press

Distributed By: Cambridge University Press

Publisher: Cambridge University Press

Length: 10.2 inches

Height: 1.99 inches

Weight: 1.99 (lbs)

Language:

Category: TEXT BIBLES

ISBN: 0521536987

EAN / ISBN-13: 9780521536981

Product Code: 133109

Version: King James Version

Binding: Center

Reference Location: C

Bible Color: Black

Has Concordance: Yes

Bible Type: Reference

Print Size: 8

Here is where it can be purchased....yes it is a bit "big" but not bad at all considering all it has.

http://www.bookschristian.com/se/product...ck_Leather.html

Here is where you can get the NKJ version of the same Bible:

http://www.allbibles.com/itemdesc.asp?Ic=9780521706230&Shopbrandstatus=0

Originally Posted By: Redwood

There isn't the temptation to make the 'other authors' on par with the Bible like there is with EGW.

I believe in Hematology.

Yes, I have mixed feelings about an "EGW" Bible. I do think the "convenience" of it for "study" purposes for an SDA might be beneficial, but to use it in a public setting...would be a never simply because many would see it as as "her being on par in importance" with the Bible and of course that simply isn't the case. She is important but she is NOT part of the Bible writers for sure.

My favotire Bible is one I own...It is the only truely leather (not bonded leather), wide margin KJV (KJV only becuase it is the most widely accepted for giving Bible studies. It is a wonderful wide-margin because the margins are on all 4 sides where I have plenty of room to write. Here is the product description:

The Concord Wide-Margin Edition is extremely popular with KJV Bible scholars. It features wide margins all around the text for verse-by-verse annotations, as well as centre-column cross-references, a glossary, concordance, 15 colour maps and the Translators' Preface. This special Bible, for the discerning Bible scholar, offers the much admired Concord text in a superlative flexible black goatskin leather binding, edge-lined with Kidrel. It is printed on a smooth, opaque and resilient paper with art-gilt edges, and includes two ribbon markers to help find the reader's place.

Taylor's Note: It also has about 20 pages (40 if you count both sides) of lined pages in the back for "notes" where I have all my Bible study notes listed by topic with an additional 20 pages or so of blank non-lined papare for even more notes.

(Leather) : 1408 Pages

Release Date: October 01, 2003

Label: Cambridge University Press

Distributed By: Cambridge University Press

Publisher: Cambridge University Press

Length: 10.2 inches

Height: 1.99 inches

Weight: 1.99 (lbs)

Language:

Category: TEXT BIBLES

ISBN: 0521536987

EAN / ISBN-13: 9780521536981

Product Code: 133109

Version: King James Version

Binding: Center

Reference Location: C

Bible Color: Black

Has Concordance: Yes

Bible Type: Reference

Print Size: 8

Here is where it can be purchased....yes it is a bit "big" but not bad at all considering all it has.

http://www.bookschristian.com/se/product...ck_Leather.html

Here is where you can get the NKJ version of the same Bible:

http://www.allbibles.com/itemdesc.asp?Ic=9780521706230&Shopbrandstatus=0

Thanks for this Taylor. It can also be found on Ebay. And for international buyers ... try: http://cgi.ebay.com/KJV-Concord-Wide-Mar...p3286.m63.l1177

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Taylor, how long have you had your Bible? I know they are expensive... I'd like to know how it has stood up under use. I'm assuming it is not a loose-leaf binding.

Yes, I would not use an EGW note Bible with non-SDA. No need in complicating things!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

It has held up very well considering it has taken a real beating as I travel a lot internationally. It has been all over the world. I did get the binding for "one side" tightened up for $10 at a book binders place one time as it was getting loose on one side where the cover attaches to the Bible but it only took them a few minutes and like I said I have taken this Bible everywhere.

I would highly recommend it.

• Moderators

My Dream Bible:

- Study Bible (Introductions at the beginning of each section. Footnotes)

- HMS Richards study notes (seem interesting, I've never read them)

- Ellen White study notes

- NIV, KJV, NASB, ESV, Clear Word (because I havent read it), NRSV

- Adventist Hymnal (might as well throw this in)

- Lots of maps

- Concordance

- Bible Dictionary

- Cross-references

- Jesus words in red

- Leather

- book marks

- NONE of that births, deaths, family member stuff, I don't use my bible to log that so there's no need. :)

We're probably looking at a 15 pound bible here and I may edit this later, but nonetheless...X)

Yours?

I suggest you get a PDA. I have 10 translations in mine, 2 dictionaries, 4 commentaries,

and I'm hoping EGW would become available in this format soon. I've been thinking of calling the EGW Estate to see if they have it or are thinking about making it available in this format.

Gerry

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: John317

[/quote']

There isn't the temptation to make the 'other authors' on par with the Bible like there is with EGW.

I don't see that as a great danger in our church. As a church we're far from the danger of thinking that she is on a par with the Bible. What I see is that too many no longer study her writings or have confidence that she was a true prophet of God. There are many who know very little of what she wrote. I believe that is a greater danger to the church today than having too great confidence in her. In fact, that was her own warning: not that people would take her too seriously but that there would be rejection of the Spirit of prophecy before Christ returns.

Ya but even if that is true, we still open ourselves up to criticism from others who say we are now "putting her in the Bible". I think we should avoid this if possible. But those are just my 2 cents.

• Moderators

I can understand your viewpoint, that we don't want people thinking we put Ellen White equal with the Bible. But I'm just talking about having a Bible with Ellen White references and notes in it in order to better use the Bible for personal study, not for witnessing or studying with non-SDAs. I use other Bibles for that.

Do you yourself give Bible studies?

Yes I have given many Bible studies, both full length and impromptu. I LOVE to give Bible studies, though I probably love preaching evangelistic meetings even more. I agree, if the EGW Bible is just used for personal study it would be fine, in my opinion. I just would never use it in any other setting for reasons stated in my previous post.

Did you see where I posted about my "favorite Bible", I spoke about my wide-margin Bible. In those extra pages in the back of my Bible, I have done something to assist me in remembering Bible texts by topic. I know a lot of Bible verses by heart but for some reason, I am not great at remembering where each one is found. So I went through many Bible study guides and picked out every unique "useful to the topic" text on topics such as the Sabbath, State of the Dead, Heaven, etc...and also more "generic topics" such as Marriage and Family, Wittnessing etc. I wrote each reference on a line....and then gave a brief summery of that verse. Then I decided on a color for that topic. For instance, "Stewardship and Tithe" is a green color, Baptism is a light blue color, Heaven is a gold or "orange" type color, Death is "grey". These colors made sense to me. Then I sent through my bible and "highlighted" the verse on that topic in that color. (I used colored pencils as liquid type markers have a tendancy to bleed through.) In this way I can find a text both ways, by color or by looking in the back of my Bible. Then I went through books that offered clear explanations on seemingly difficult Bible texts and wrote in the explanations and "verses" next to that difficult Bible text. As a result I can give a Bible study on just about any topic. It has come in very handy. Like the time I was on a plane just reading my Bible and the seat next to me was empty. After we had reached cruising altitude a stewardess sat down in that seat and said, "Do you understand much about that book becuase if you do I have some questions.". I told her "Well, I will always be learning new things I am sure but what are your questions?" Her grandmother, who had raised her, had just died and she was very much upset because the preacher had said "Well now, don't cry, your grandmother is happy in heaven. Apparently God needed her to be an angel in heaven more than you needed her, so he took her where she will be happy." For the next 1 (with many interruptions as she had to do her job) we had a Bible study on God's love and the state of the dead. She was so relieved to hear the truth and asked me to write down a list of all the texts we had looked at that day. I have had many such conversations. It is really neat how God will bring people across your path who are truth seekers. I am just glad for my Bible as it has been very helpful the way I have it marked. I am still working on adding more topics etc. So far I have about 15 subjects marked in that way.

Quote:

My Dream Bible:

[snip]

Yours?

I think i have a 15 pound bible already, and I carry it with me where ever I go...It's the one that I am continually improving...the one inside my head...

TU

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

Wow- what a cool experience with the stewardess! Thanks for sharing that!

A note about highlighters- I found some that don't bleed through the pages. The Sharpie brand of highlighters are really good and they now come in a set of 10 or so, including colours such as royal blue, violet, coral and a real red. I use these ALL THE TIME, I love them so much!

There is a line that we offer here at the store also that comes in your four or five basic colours.