ClubAdventist is back!

Hamas chief says no chance of deal with Israel

John317

• Moderators

Hamas chief says no chance of deal with Israel

By IBRAHIM BARZAK and JOSEF FEDERMAN, Associated Press Writers – 41 mins ago

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip – A top Hamas leader says the Gaza war has killed the last chance for settlement and negotiations with Israel.

Damascus-based Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal condemned Israel's attack on the Gaza Strip as a "holocaust" in a fiery speech broadcast on the Arabic news channel Al-Jazeera

Mashaal's comments Saturday come as Hamas teams are in Cairo to negotiate over an Egyptian-proposed cease-fire to end Israeli attacks on the militant organization that rules Gaza.

Mashaal also called for an end to Israeli attacks, the removal of its forces from Gaza, and a lifting of the Gaza blockade.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information.

AP's earlier story is below.

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israel pounded rocket sites and tunnels Saturday while its planes dropped leaflets warning of an escalation, and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas predicted a "waterfall of blood" unless all parties adhere to the U.N.'s call for a durable cease-fire.

Hamas fighters kept up attacks on southern Israel, launching 15 rockets. And with neither side ready to step down, the death toll in two weeks of fighting rose to more than 800 Palestinians, according to Palestinian medical officials, and 13 Israelis.

Flames and smoke rose over Gaza City amid heavy fighting.

Diplomacy was not finished, but it appeared to be in retreat following both sides' defiance of Thursday's U.N. Security Council resolution calling for a halt to fighting. Struggling to keep peace efforts alive, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak invited representatives of Gaza's Hamas rulers to Egypt for further talks on his cease-fire initiative.

Defying the international calls for a cease-fire, Israel threatened to launch a "new phase" in its offensive.

"The IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) will escalate the operation in the Gaza Strip," said the leaflets in Arabic dropped from planes. "The IDF is not working against the people of Gaza but against Hamas and the terrorists only. Stay safe by following our orders."

The leaflets urged Gaza residents not to help Hamas and to stay away from its members.

Israel launched the offensive on Dec. 27 to halt years of Palestinian rocket attacks on southern Israel. A week later, ground troops moved in.

Israeli defense officials say they are prepared for a third stage of the offensive, in which ground troops would push much further into Gaza, but are still waiting for approval from the government.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090110/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Members

I don't think this is something that Israel really wants. I also believe that the Palestinians don't want this either. I think they need to stand up and get reed of Hamas. If this keeps going I pray that the Palestinians can see that there so called brothers, Hamas, are not looking out for there best interests.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Agreed. Get rid of the Hamas, Hezboolah, Al Quieda, El Bombo, Al Terror et al.

og

(I'm olger and I approve this message)

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

Agreed. The best thing they could do is reject Hamas and the other terrorists organizations. They've only hurt them. The Palestinians would be at peace with Israel without Hamas, etc.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

That's easy to say when there are no missiles raining down on your head.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

That's because I am smart enough not to live in such area. My dad always taught that the best way to avoid the punch is not being there. Now, there's an amazing breakthrough idea :).

The life of my family is much more important to me than a piece of land. If it is really that important to someone... I'd let them have it and move.

This conflict is really about pride and religious ideology, and a bit of revenge... nothing more, nothing less.

Yes. It is also about industrial-strength generational bitterness and emotional-child-tantrum evil-for-evil. Which practice the Bible condemns in Psalm 34, and 1 Peter 3).

regards,

og

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."