ClubAdventist is back!

Your personal experience- How bad is the economy?

Neil D

Bad trade agreements and Wall Street has got us where we are at....

Rob

Greedis the name of the game, and Madoff is only the part that has been shown. And the blame can be spread around pretty evenly when those who wish they had been in Madoff's position and been smart enough not to get caught.

I understand that just before he was caught, his wife socked away $15,000,000. You can stay out of jail a long time with that amount of money available, even if it is the money that was received by fraud. If the Lord delays we can see the same type of slavery in the U.S. that occurs in nations less industrialized.

"But they lie in wait for their own blood,

They lurk secretly for their own lives.

So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain;

It takes away the life of its owners."

Proverbs 1:18-20 KJV

"The wicked is getting a lying wage, And whoso is sowing righteousness -- a true reward." Prov 11:18

YLT

Regards! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

Robert I don't totally disagree with you. I think like LifeHiscost states, there is blame to spread around. I would what caused most of the problem is the banking industry with the lending of money for mortgages, and handing out all those credit cards, and we as fools taking those credit cards and getting ourselves in trouble. As far as the mortgages are concerned, lending money to those that they knew could not afford them. And than continuing to give 2nd and 3rd mortgages on top of this, and than when interest rates would come down to allow us to refinance to a lower rate, and combining the 1st, 2nd and 3rd mortgages into one with a lower interest rate by say our homes were worth more than they really were.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 2 weeks later...

NEW YORK (AP) - General Motors shares are at their lowest point in more than 70 years as speculation continues to swirl about the future of the struggling automaker.

General Motors Corp. shares hit a low of $1.57 in afternoon trading Friday, matching a low set on March 31, 1938.

----------

Not much happiness in Detroit.

• Members

Why not, you got the money olger!!!!!

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

A friend of mine sent me a report that predicted stock market will dip to the 5800 level. Right now it is around 7500. I had already put all my money my retirement buys into Intermediate Treasury bills which is getting 12 to 13 percent interest right now from the Adventist workers retirement. So far that and a couple of bonds which are making 3 to 4 percent interest are the only investments making money right now. Until the market stabilizes I do not want anything to do with stocks right now.

riverside.gif Riverside CA

Dgrimm, are you drawing Unemployment?

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

So far this year, my husband has worked only 3 weeks, all of less than 40 hours. He will not be working this coming week either. He does get Unemployment on the weeks he doesn't work, but it is only about 1/3 of his full-time take-home pay. I hate to see our contingency fund shrinking, but that's what it's for anyway. And on the weeks he does work, I put back as much as I can.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

OT has been cut back where I work. They've let go all contract help and students. We are down about 1/3 of what we were producing, but the company is in good shape overall.

• Members

Well robert at least for the time being you are working, thank God. But again what I see is the work force that does all the work get cut back but management who gets all the credit, has no cutback.

pk

phkrause

.... what I see is the work force that does all the work get cut back but management who gets all the credit, has no cutback.

pk

Right....sure we need folks to manage...to get the right people to do whatever job, but without technical know how...without the folks who actually manufacture the "widgets" nothing gets made.

It seems that Japanese companies have it right here. Their goal is about 10% management. Ours, being American management, is about double that.

As I said this is elitism...this is greed and self-serving. This is what's wrong with most America businesses. Instead of equals, we have folks who are high-minded.

• Members

Not only that but we reward management, who already make twice what the highest worker makes, with bonuses that are equal or above what they made for the year. Why not distribute this money among the workers that worked all those hours to make the company that money, or better yet reinvest in the company by updating equipment to make things a little easier on the workers.

pk

phkrause

Not only that but we reward management, who already make twice what the highest worker makes, with bonuses that are equal or above what they made for the year. Why not distribute this money among the workers that worked all those hours to make the company that money, or better yet reinvest in the company by updating equipment to make things a little easier on the workers. pk

Oh, that's not true "capitalism"! That's how management would reply!

When I say "capitalism," I mean a full, pure, uncontrolled, unregulated laissez-faire capitalism!

In other words they are asking us to trust the "rich man" because he will watch out of our interests too!

Funny! The fact is that many are too short-sided to see 2 feet in front of themselves. It's all about the short-term in many American corporations.

If our government doesn't start regulating the greedy there'll be no middle class. Since we produce/buy from the global community our downfall will cause the whole market to fail. These short-sided, greedy thugs got us into this trouble. What we need to see is a hanging! teehe Well, okay, some folks need to go to jail for a long time - but don't hold your breath.

That should be one of the things Obama does to restore confidence in our financial sector, but instead jerks like Madoff are out and about. No justice...no over-sight...no regulation, well, no investment and therefore no money for the greedy. They're just too greedy to see the long term effects, huh?