ClubAdventist is back!

Honey bee insurance

$150 million for honey bee insurance (Pg. 102 of Senate Appropriations Committee report: “The Secretary shall use up to $ 50,000,000 per year, and $150,000,000 in the case of 2009, from the Trust Fund to provide emergency relief to eligible producers of livestock, honey bees, and farm-raised fish to aid in the reduction of losses due to disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires, as determined by the Secretary”)

Currently, beekeepers have incurred all costs when it comes to losing bees....and since we have major devestations, where "sudden colony collapse" is occuring [officially an unknown determined problem of current commercial beekeepers that affects upwards of 30% in how to deal with it], and bee mites have decimated over 40% of the bees in the US since 1995, and beekeepers keep Almond growers in almonds, along with 1/3 of current fruit crops, I am wondering if this is a good idea....

I am also wondering if this money can go somewhere else, ie research to overcome and find out just what exactly is affecting the bees.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I knew it. I knew it. I predicted it.

Neil is supporting the bee bailout. I knew it.

The only positive thing is that Neil will now be converted to a Republican with all of his wealth and private jets.

Personally ... I am opposed to Obama's bill for billions to bee bailouts.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

What I want to know is why is bee business better than bird business.

Arizona Cardinals just got a 35 yard punt return.

I believe in Hematology.

What I want to know is why is bee business better than bird business.

Because there are so many other business, more lucritive business', that depend upon the bees pollinations...

Do you realize that there are more acreage devoted to Almonds, than there are bees colonys in the US? Such is the desire of almonds...And they are not cheap either....

That is why we have cannadians and mexicans come across the borders and pollenate the cropes...

Beekeepers have finally gotten some real money for thier bees...Most commerical beekeepers get thier money, now, from pollenation, and most of that from Almonds...where it is not uncommon for the farmer to shell out between $125 to $175 per colony. And for each acre, 2 colonys are needed...and most Almond orchards run about 50 to 100 acres...That $12k for 100 colonys of bees...for 3 weeks work...And then theres the apple orchards that need to be pollenated only the price is only $35 to $50 per colony...for another 3 weeks work...By now, it's the middle to later part of March....And then there are pears, and peaches, and cherrys and peppers and melons and watermelons, and pumpkins ....and these people are dependant upon insect pollination...currently if a bear gets into a colony, or a racoon or skunk ....the hive is either destroyed [bear] or the frames are destroyed [skunk, racoon]....who picks up the loss of this....And while we have talked about pollenation, we haven't talked about the honey yet....

We haven't talked about the major threats to the bees, like sudden colony collapse disorder, which NO ONE definately know what is going on...although there is STRONG evidence that pesticides that were released under an emergency use thru the EPA during the Bush Adminstration. There is also a verola mite [a kind of vampire mite] that has been decimating hives for the last 15 years. No one really knows how to kill the mite without killing the bee....and polluting the honey...And we haven't talked about the other diseases that affect the honey bee, like foulbrood....

Cattle serve to feed us....what other agrocultural industry are going to be affected by disease in the same way the bee is and have a major impact? I don't think that there is another agrocultureal industry that does as much....

So, all these arguements are based upon jealousy envy because the beekeepers usually don't ask for much...In fact, most commerical beekeepers loose a significant number of thier hives within 5 years without MAJOR attention to the hive, once they go commerical...Mostly because the farmers are using those pesticides to provide you those nice clean perfect fruit....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

It's the beekeepers that I am not so sure of.

I believe in Hematology.

It's the beekeepers that I am not so sure of.

The overwhelming percentage are republicans....You afraid of some help for your republican friends?

George Bernard Shaw

I don't care if they bee republicans or if they bee democrats. I say to them ... get out of me back pocket.

I believe in Hematology.