ClubAdventist is back!

I will not be reading...

• Moderators

...any threads with Obama's name in the title that are started by Redwood.

Unless the thread title is something like "I was wrong about Obama all along!"

(incidentally, I only read the "I screwed up" thread because I thought it was Shane making that confession, since he started the thread. bwink )

Truth is important

Often times one's criticism of another tells us more about the one criticizing than the one being criticized. I try to roll with the punches and enjoy a healthy debate. Redwood is Redwood. I expect him to be who he is. The same with Bravus, with Neil, Tom, Coaspen and the others. Once in a while someone surprises me and that is kind of cool.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

(incidentally, I only read the "I screwed up" thread because I thought it was Shane making that confession, since he started the thread.)

I hope you didn't think I was going to say voting for Obama was a mistake.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

dg, fair point. I honestly don't think there was anywhere near the kind of barrage - a couple of new threads a day - of criticism of Bush early in his presidency that we're seeing here, but if there was, I would have been completely happy for anyone who chose to tune out those threads. And to publicly say that they had (which I acknowledge is a slightly different thing).

For me it's not even so much that I disagree with the content of the threads, as just a signal-to-noise thing. So many of the things my friend Woodie (who I will very happily continue to interact with on all other topics) posts about Obama are just contentless smears, or things he doesn't even believe but dredges up somewhere, and so on. I just don't need it, not because I support Obama, but because I support thoughtful, well-founded discourse.

If people have well thought out, principled criticisms of Obama's actual actions and policy positions, I'm very ready to read. But little fiddlypiddly 'gotcha' stories about inconsequential matters... nah, don't have the time or energy for it.

Truth is important

1) Be loving. Discuss issues with Christ-like love for your brothers and sisters here.

2) Advocate strongly for your position but with love for others.

4. Don't be negative towards other people... they are Christ's children. Sinners just like ourselves.

5. When disagreeing with other members, focus on the topic and ideas being discussed and not other members. Avoid addressing them directly

7. If you ever feel justified for being combative toward another member... see guideline #1 and DON'T."

2. If anyone replies to a specific post; please reply to the topic of that post and NOT to the poster. Replying to the poster can be seen (and often is) a personal attack.

3. If anyone makes a personal attack on a poster than that person will be asked to ammend their post or if it's too late to ammend, then a public apology will be made

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I assume you're posting those because you believe this thread contravenes them? I don't believe it does, though finally that will be a call for the moderator to make.

I did not attack you in any way. I simply announced that I choose not to read certain kinds of posts. And later, when asked, explained why.

I did not suggest that you ought not to make those posts, or to be allowed to, or say that those posts were wrong or bad in any way. I simply said that they were not something I want to read.

Surely of the few freedoms left to me, the freedom to choose what I read and what I don't is one that remains?

Truth is important

Bravus, of course, you have the freedom to read or not read anything you choose. But why announce it? Why not just simply do it?

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Moderators

You're right, they are two different things.

I thought about it, and decided that I thought there was value in making a statement that I felt there was too much of it going on, and giving my reasons for opting out.

I'm actually happy to delete this entire thread if people feel I should, but that's kinda moot now people have read it and the point has been made.

The forum belongs to all of us. Consider it to be like a restaurant or (veggie!) coffee shop or something.

If someone is talking loud and long in a way that annoys other patrons, the other patrons have the choice to simply stop coming. But that does not signal the loud talker, and it also does not show others who are annoyed by the same thing that they're not alone.

I suspect I'm not the only one who finds the barrage of new and slight negative stories about the President annoying, and I thought saying so might have some small weight.

As it is it seems it's just antagonised Redwood, which I guess was a foreseeable consequence but was not the effect I intended.

On the whole I don't think my one post on the topic is too offensive, given the dozens of anti-Obama posts... to continue the analogy, maybe I harrumphed a little loudly on my way out of the coffeeshop, but probably disrupted others' conversations less than the loud talker.

Bravus (still second-guessing his decisions)

Truth is important

Bravus, I love the way you speak....er...rather...write. You "harrumphed"--that just cracked me up.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

I assume you're posting those because you believe this thread contravenes them? I don't believe it does, though finally that will be a call for the moderator to make.

I did not attack you in any way. I simply announced that I choose not to read certain kinds of posts. And later, when asked, explained why.

I did not suggest that you ought not to make those posts, or to be allowed to, or say that those posts were wrong or bad in any way. I simply said that they were not something I want to read.

Surely of the few freedoms left to me, the freedom to choose what I read and what I don't is one that remains?

You are THE MAN. You have many rights here.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

No need to second-guess your decision. I support you on that and do believe I may just join you in it.

What some reasonable responders here may seem more put out about is that such threads will now have fewer rational readers and commentators to reign in the absurdity and to clear up the confusion for the good of all.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Bravus, I love the way you speak....er...rather...write. You "harrumphed"--that just cracked me up.

He does LynnDel and us proud :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

He [bravus] does LynnDel and us proud :)

sCo_huhsign.gif Why does Bravus do *LynnDel* proud? (just wondering)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

In a wordsmith sense. The other day I saw the word, "psychobabbly". I like those, too!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Also, "treacly"

Yes, I remember seeing "psychobabbly"; I really enjoyed that one too.

Quote:
7) Don't post on the public threads personal differences, arguments, rehashing of alleged grievances or disputes; or publicly complaining about posts or threads submitted in forums throughout the site.

I believe in Hematology.