ClubAdventist is back!

Long-Winded

• Members

I agree redwood in a few years she'll have a few more years under her and have a better sense and maybe a better following. And I agree with the spiritual aspect as well. I think more than all believing differently, I would say in different places in our spiritual growth. That's not to say that we all need to believe the same. If you know what I mean.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• phkrause

• Dr. Shane

• Bravus

QR frame:

“Change we can believe in.” “Transparency.” “Hope.”

Say what!? --Pogo

“I believe in hope, but I also believe in action.” Oh so simplistic. Action simply for action’s sake is so puerile in concept. ...I s’pose the man simply doesn’t distinguish between right action and wrong action. Either he is astoundingly simple or he is blowing smoke in all the wrong places, yes? Otherwise, per the subject at hand...

c’mon, per example: Obama took so-o-o long to proffer a non-answer as response to the first question asked in the Q&A, Elkhart – that I find it inconceivable one missed it. That suggests more the logorrhea than it does the articulate. Anyway, like it or not,

the die is cast and he is, for better or worse,

the POTUS.

So much hot air?

“As I said, the one concern I’ve got on the stimulus package, in terms of the debate and listening to some of what’s been said in Congress is that there seems to be a set of folks who — I don’t doubt their sincerity — who just believe that we should do nothing. Now, if that’s their opening position or their closing position in negotiations, then we’re probably not going to make much progress, because I don’t think that’s economically sound and I don’t think what — that’s what the American people expect, is for us to stand by and do nothing.” [ed.jasd]

First, long sentence – and second, stilted sentence. Though it may be technically correct grammar-wise, it is stood on its ear – no pun intended. Third, outright falsity: whom, exactly, of our Congress people have advocated that we “should do nothing” re a stimulus package?

“In fact, it was the Congressional Budget Office and not Republicans that suggested that doing nothing might have a better effect than the Obama/Pelosi/Reid stimulus bill...”

The “... do nothing” lie is particularly offensive and takes on the characteristics of ‘blowing smoke’ in all the wrong places – in that Pelosi permitted absolutely no input from the other side of the aisle when creating the Democrat’s ‘Stimulus Bill’ – aka the porculus bill (contributed by our warm and fuzzy MajaRushie Limbaugh). bwink

Obama’s articulateness seems to have been imaginatively bruited; that being so, might not one expect in tandem that – fewer examples of illiteracy popping up – with dreary regularity?

“In other words, Obama gets an F in economic history despite supposedly having the best and brightest cribbers working on his staff. He gets an F for honesty as well as an D- on bipartisanship. It’s a lousy start to his four-year class on how to be an executive.”

One is tempted to fisk-parse the entire speech...

(credit: blogrunner)

• 2 weeks later...

Obama is probably a bit long winded by nature (most attorneys are), but I also think he is conscious of the fact that Americans want and expect something different from the previous President - transparency, accountability, knowledge of issues. So he is going out of his way to give all this information.

The one I honestly cannot listen to is Condi Rice at her press conferences. Seriously, I think every 3rd or 4th word is followed by uh. I have to turn it off. Sadly, I was listening to Hillary Clinton this week and was dismayed to hear that she is almost as bad. :(

• Moderators

hehe - we started a game with our kids on long road trips, when they were about 5 and 8, I think. It was inspired by Sue's time at Toastmasters learning public speaking. Each member of the family was given a topic by another, and had to make a 1 minute speech on that topic, without repeating him or herself and without saying 'um' and 'ah'. Excellent practice, and now we have two highly articulate daughters.

Truth is important

Obama does a lot of "um" and "ah" too when he is speaking off the cuff.

Yes, he is somewhat annoying in that regard, but it's not every 3rd or 4th word like Condi. And it seems to me that he does more pausing than actual ums and uhs. Pausing doesn't bother me much at all; it makes me think they're actually thinking about the question instead of their own agenda. So many politicians are great at giving non-answers (think Sarah Palin), and I appreciate the ones who at least make an effort to answer the question that was asked.

Yes, he is somewhat annoying in that regard, but it's not every 3rd or 4th word like Condi. And it seems to me that he does more pausing than actual ums and uhs. Pausing doesn't bother me much at all; it makes me think they're actually thinking about the question instead of their own agenda. So many politicians are great at giving non-answers (think Sarah Palin), and I appreciate the ones who at least make an effort to answer the question that was asked.

yeah, Carolaa, I hear a lot of NON-ANSWERS..I think that some of these guys like to hear the sound of thier own voice....But I really hear Obama thinking, trying to find the right words that will not offend, trying to find the best way to frame it. Most people can hear when somebody has said nothing to contribute to a subject...Clinton says Obama is not hopeful...But I hear a lot more positive and constructive hope from Obama than these Rush Limbaugh types who can not offer anything else but bumpersticker comments "cut taxes"....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: Shane
Obama does a lot of "um" and "ah" too when he is speaking off the cuff.

Have you listened to Joseph Biden recently?

I bet that Obama wishes he could tongue tie that man.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I've never been a Joe Biden fan. I know Obama had his reason for choosing him. But he really has a hard time talking in my opinion. And I think Redwood that if Obama could he probably like to staple his mouth shut.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

I remember when Ford was President, he was called the bumbling president. I would have to say that Binden fits that to a tee, but not with his feet but his speaking. hahahahahahaha

pk

phkrause

• Members

I remember Ford. Hit someone with a golf ball, didn't he?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Obama hit his head on Marine One. I didn't see a lot of coverage on that. I don't watch SNL but I suspect they didn't do a skit making fun of him over that.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

They didn't. They also ignored 'O's attempt to walk through a window off of the oval office a couple weeks ago.

The anti-smoking liberals aren't busting on his smoking either. He gets a free pass. Hmmm... wonder why?

• Moderators

The Daily Show definitely showed both Bush and Obama hitting their heads, in the same sequence.

Truth is important

• Moderators

Glenn Greenwald has already started ripping strips off him, Salon.com is critiquing some of his policies, the Daily Show has riffed on him many times. I'm sorry, but it is simply dishonest to suggest that the left-leaning press and media have been one-sided. They have done *far* more critiquing and challenging of Obama in these first few days than the right-leaning media *ever* did of Bush. Give me specific examples if you disagree.

Truth is important

The media anointed him as the 'promised one' as soon as he beat Hillary in the primaries. He simply could do no wrong. No one knew what his policies were, they ignored his questionable Chicago cronies, and bought every campaign promise he made without question (and we have a growing list of broken promises less than 2 months into his presidency).

As for Bush, he's been skewered by conservatives for his policies on illegal aliens. He was also called down on his expansion of government. I personally am ticked at him for the abusive Patriot Act. I felt also that he played around too much with Iraq and Afghanistan before adding more troops and kicking more butt. I was opposed to McCain's stand on waterboarding.

Don't worry, in my opinion, Bush was far from perfect. Obama is miles from where Bush was.

The Daily Show definitely showed both Bush and Obama hitting their heads, in the same sequence.

That sounds like the The Daily Show was trying to defend Obama. I mean, Bush did it too so must not be such a clumsy thing to do.

• Members

Hey KeyGuy I thought he quit! I guess not?

pk

phkrause

Or, you know, showing both sides of the story, Fox style.

So when the Daily Show made fun of Bush did they put clips side to side with previous Presidents showing how previous Presidents had been guilty of the same thing (wire-tapping for example)? Or is this a new thing to show us that Obama isn't so bad?