ClubAdventist is back!

which direction?

BSW

We are planning to build a new church from the ground up, and as is so often the case we have only X amount to finish the building so we need to do it in "phases". There is a debate whether we should finish the sanctuary first or the service center first. There are good arguments for both sides. I was wondering what "Club Adventist Street" thinks.

I really appreciate all feedback. Please feel free to use Scripture and SOP and opinion in your posts. Unfortunitly I will be out most of today, but will check this evening on what ya'll think.

Thank you very much!

Well our church only had x amount of dollars to spend too. Then they went and decided on a "3 phase" building project that was about a thousand times over our "x" amount. The only phase that got completed was the fellowship hall. The Sanctuary will probably never be completed now; as they are trying to sell off the land that the Sanctuary and the school would have occupied just to help pay for the fellowship hall building.

So my advice would be to build whichever "phase" you would be happiest to have if nothing else ever got built.

To be completely honest, our fellowship hall looks funny because it looks like part of an unfinished church. Because it is the fellowship hall, that means folding chairs instead of pews, it also means having lunch where you worship--a concept I have trouble doing, having carpet where you eat--another bad idea, or if you go without carpet your services echoes off the floor and walls.

You really need to look at it from all angles.

This, of course, is just my humble opinion.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

One of our churches has just the fellowship hall built. During the summer we try to eat outside rather than in the room where we worship.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

In our area these types of choices are limited. The city or township have a major say in the church building and its surrounding. In one church program I saw the land was 1/3, the building 1/3 and the cost of the city required site plan was 1/3.

Many cities or townships are not church friendly in America. I have seen them successfully kill many church projects.

In our area these types of choices are limited. The city or township have a major say in the church building and its surrounding. In one church program I saw the land was 1/3, the building 1/3 and the cost of the city required site plan was 1/3.

Many cities or townships are not church friendly in America. I have seen them successfully kill many church projects.

In Oregon I believe that churches have more rights on where they can build than any other group. I believe they can build pretty much anywhere even in rural or farm lands.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

You can build here but you must meet their requirements. Like ponds, trees, landscaping. The project I worked on the twp required a dozen 20' tall trees to block the view of the junkyard next door. They required two ponds for water runoff. It was calculated on the five acres not the small parking lot. They make it as difficult as possible. They bankrupt a large church project on the other side of the twp. Churches don't pay taxes.

seems to me that by policy, the church has to have at least 50% of the funds in hand before they can start projects like this.

That provides safety

and

That also stifles growth.

If we had that policy 100+ years ago we would have no Loma Linda U or many other things.

BUT it provides safety

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Members

Do the service center first. If you do the church first, I don't think you'll want to use the church for eating and other things.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Thanks for all the input.

Some of my thoughts:

Exodus 25:8

"And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them."

Matthew 6:33

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

If I were a king of kings and my subjects wished to build a building that I would come and they worship and praise my holy name, would I be happier in a commissary or a sanctuary set apart just for me?

Would I like the fact that they (my subjects) made a place of fellowship where many good things can happen including worshiping me or a place where I am above all and am focused on directly?

What is the first duty of a house of worship? To feed the sick and broken hearted, have fellowship, or would that be secondary to their worshiping and praising my terrible majesty? Job 37:22..."with God is terrible majesty"

1 Chronicles 29:11

"Thine, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Now I know that we are to treat others with the thought that that is how we would like to be treated and it is in a sense how we treat Jesus.

Matthew 25:40 "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

My thoughts are that I believe that if we use the money to build the sanctuary first the Lord Himself will provide us the funds to finish the fellowship hall, however if we build the fellowship hall first are we putting the needs of the community first and if so would or could we lose a blessing?

I know of a few churchs that put the fellowship hall first and had a bear of a time finishing the church, I have not heard of such a thing when the sanctuary is finished first.

I suppose you can tell where I slant but am I being too insensitive to the needs of the community?

Thanks again for any help.