ClubAdventist is back!

10,000 more troops

Why is Obama adding 10,000 more troops to the war on terror?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

If it's for Afghanistan, more power to him. If it is for Iraq, that may be a different story. Americans in general are against the war in Iraque but way more supportive of the way in Afghanistan from what I understand.

I apologize ... my initial report was wrong. It is 17,000 more troops.

I believe in Hematology.

Yes and I understand it is for Afghanistan. I guess it is because I know a couple of people from that country and from Pakistan who have suffered much, that I think we do need to give democracy a chance, or at least help the country of Afghanistan be rid of destructive forces that squelch freedom. But any deaths of our servicemen is very sad indeed.

Sounds like just what we did for Iraq ...

I believe in Hematology.

There are two Iraq reasons. One was to stop Saddam ... then once that was accomplished ... we stuck around to bring Democracy to the country and prevent it from being an outpost for terrorists.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

dgrimm I think that Obama only mentioned Iraq, because we invaded them. Afganistan ask for us to help. As far as the # of troops, I heard that the guy in charge there is asking for at least 60,000 troops. I heard that the Marines and an Army division were going to be going first and than more.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I know that this is a well worn subject pk ... but the war in Iraq was because Saddam invaded his neighbor and then did not abide by the cease fire agreement that he signed.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Redwood I was not for the invasion into Iraq, but once we went in there, I for one was going to support are troops there. I remember when I was drafted during the vietnam conflict, coming home to this country the soldiers felt like everyone was blaming them for the bad decisions that this country made. I remember thinking don't these people realize that this is exactly what the North vietnamese want, is the people to be at odds so that we will eventually take our troops out. And this is the same thing that is happening in Iraq. And I will say right now, this will happen eventually in afganistan, and than the democrats will feel the wrath of the people like when in Vietnam. On the onset it always looks like your doing the right thing but than as it drags on people start to turn.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

gah

Exactly. You are so right.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Maybe ask the Russians about how occupying Afghanistan tends to go. I believe their going in there is credited with being one of the things that ended up destroying the Soviet Union and ending the Cold War.

Truth is important

We aren't trying to occupy it.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I can agree with you there. If you are going to just go and occupy, I think is wrong. I'm not for war! But when I think about what God had the Hebrew nation do, he didn't ask them to go in and occupy, he ask them to clean out all the people there, even there animals. But did they do as the Lord ask? No they allowed some to live. I look at that as if they were occupying. I'm not saying we should do this because obviously we are not God, and God is the only one that should judge. I'm just using that as an example of war. Look at WW2. We went in and followed thru, and we did not occupy europe. Could you image if we had. Look what happen to russia in all those countries that they occupied after the war. Like I've said many times, if the US, or any country, is going to go into a country to do whatever it is, than they should do it and get out, period.

pk

phkrause

I HEARD on the news that OBAMA is choosing to take 19 months to the the troops out of IRAQ but even then there will still be 50,000 troops left there

I cannot believe anyone will be surprised at the lies anymore... and after only 5 weeks at the helm.

• Moderators

Dunno why I even bother, but:

What a surprise - it's going to take longer than was thought to extricate America from the mess Bush created when he invaded a country he had no business invading. Obama's mistake was in misunderestimating exactly *how* thoroughly Bush could screw things up.

Truth is important

I don't think Bush "screwed things up", but I do think it was naive of Obama to make those type of campaign promises when he wasn't yet privy to all of the intel. Now that he is the man in charge I think he is realizing just how hard it is to extricate troops from a "hot" zone. I do hope he is able to do it eventually though.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Obama's mistake was in misunderestimating exactly *how* thoroughly Bush could screw things up.

Bravus, I never said Bush was perfect. This wasn't about Bush, this was about Obama. He's the guy that made all those bogus campaign promises, like tonight... again.

His campaign promises have nothing to do with Bush. If he can't see reality before wanting to be the prez, then he's naive at best. I think it's much worse than an innocently ignorant problem. Just look at the caliber of people he has been and still is surrounding himself with. Look at his past senate voting record, too.

I'm no prophet, but I think time will reinforce my opinions on this guy.

We'll be damaged by universal healthcare

We'll be damaged by greater gun control

We'll be damaged by the Fairness Doctrine (or the current morphing of it)

We'll be damaged by tighter controls on manufacturing in the name of the 'Green' movement

We'll be damaged by giving undeserving people free homes

We'll be damaged by bailing out banks, Wall street, GE, GM, Chrysler, cities, states... yada, yada

We'll be damaged by increasing food stamps

Originally Posted By: dgrimm60
I HEARD on the news that OBAMA is choosing to take 19 months to the the troops out of IRAQ but even then there will still be 50,000 troops left there

I cannot believe anyone will be surprised at the lies anymore... and after only 5 weeks at the helm.

Wait a minute...! Weren't you one who defended Bush's right to be in Iraq? Aren't you one of those who says that our boys that are dying in Iraq are defending our freedom? Aren't you one of those guys who wants our guys over there to establish freedom/democracy? Are you not one of those who say that by our boys and girls being over there in Iraq are fighting terrorists?

If so, why are you quibbling over the delay? What's with this double standard? It's ok for Bush to establish an illegal war in a foriegn country, but when our president says that, after meeting with Iraqi/Afghan people and trying to fix the mess over there, it's going to take longer than what is expected, you accuse him of 'lying'?????

Man! are you a tough sell...!

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

My point was well presented, I thought.

If you're telling me that Obama made a simple miscalculation, I don't buy it. It's one thing to step into the beginning of a war and invasion and have a ton of unknowns. It's quite another to have access (as a senator) to info that we schlubs don't have, then make promises that are not realistic.

• Moderators

OK, no worries, I'll leave the mutual admiration society to it. I'm trying to stay friendly and polite, but the disconnection from reality is making me crazy.

Truth is important

I've noticed you having that diagnosis. But I wasn't going to point it out.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Heh, fair call!

Can't find the 'please don't mind me, I'm going nuts this week for reasons that have nothing to do with you guys' smilie, but please take it as read!

Truth is important