ClubAdventist is back!

What was the glory Jesus was asking for in John 17?

ChristIsLife

I have been studying John 17 recently (amazing chapter by-the-way) and I cannot figure out what the glory is that Jesus is asking for and why he had to go to heaven to get it. Here are the texts:

John 17:1 - "Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You".

John 17:5 - "Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was."

John 17:24 - "Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me".

1. It cannot be referring to Calvary because his followers must be in heaven to see the glory for which he prayed (John 17:24).

2. According to DA 20, "The glory shining in the face of Jesus is the glory of self-sacrificing love." This is very true, but I am not convinced that this is what these particular texts are referring to, at least not in full. The glory of self-sacrificing love was very well displayed while he was on earth and he did not need to be in heaven to get it.

3. The glory he wanted was the glory he had before the world was created. A glimpse of that glory is found in Exodus 34 when Jesus proclaimed his glory from Mount Sinai, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations." Did he not have all (or at least most) of this glory while he was on earth too?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ChristIsLife

it is the glory which He had upon His divine form and this glory has been upon His human form since His ascension and it will be upon the redeemed glorified.

sky

His divine form He relinquished forever but the glories of His divine form He relinquished only for a while. Since the ascension the glories of the divine form have been upon His human form.

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

His divine form He relinquished forever but the glories of His divine form He relinquished only for a while. Since the ascension the glories of the divine form have been upon His human form.

This may be true - I can see how one would come to this conclusion. It brings up another question though. Jesus never was much concerned about the external appearance. John 1:14 says, "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." Jesus was all about what is on the inside, and that was what was so glorious to the disciples. So why did Jesus pray so hard for the external glory?

ChristIsLife

• Members

Good question ChristIsLife! Not sure that I have an answer for that. But makes you think though.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60