ClubAdventist is back!

As Week ends, the Dow is up

Originally Posted By: Neil D

I disagree.

Based on what qualifications?

Look Shane, you can say what you will about one week being insignificant in the life of the stock market...All I can keep repeating to you, that you keep missing out on, is that this week brought hope. A hope that we haven't see in 6 months. That is all that i am saying...

When you look back on this week, you will say to yourself, "That's when thing started to turn around. That was the first week the stock market stopped plummeting, even if only for a short while."

Shoot, man...have a little faith, eh?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neil D

• Woody

• Dr. Shane

• fccool

Maybe a football analogy would help.

The Cowboys are playing the Vikings. Cowboys are down by 31 points. The Vikings have sacked their quarterback several times. The Cowboys get the ball and complete a 10-yard pass for a first down. An optimistic fan than exclaims, "They're coming back!" Well,,, a first down is a good thing but it is a long way from a touchdown and they need several touchdowns without allowing the Viking to score in order to pull a head.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Isn't it funny Neil that all those that yelled the loudest about the dow, as it kept going down everyday, now say that the dow really doesn't mean anything. Well I've always figured that. Never have paid attention to it.

pk

What does anyone mean, "the dow really doesn't mean anything?" I lost HALF of my retirement BECAUSE the DOW went south! I am thinking that when it returns to a certain level, I'm just going to get out of it. These ups & downs is not good for the psyche, or the heart.

Originally Posted By: Neil D

I disagree.

Good Point.

I think that Neil is so partisan ... he becomes blind.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: Shane

Look Shane' date=' you can say what you will about one week being insignificant in the life of the stock market...All I can keep repeating to you, that you keep missing out on, is that this week brought hope. A hope that we haven't see in 6 months. That is all that i am saying...

When you look back on this week, you will say to yourself, "That's when thing started to turn around. That was the first week the stock market stopped plummeting, even if only for a short while."

Shoot, man...have a little faith, eh? [/quote']

Partisan. Just Partisan. Pure blindness. Faith? No. Blindness and partisanism.

I believe in Hematology.

Neil,

I think you are missing the big picture. The stock marked does not drive the economy, it's the other way around. Stock market hikes and drops is a speculation of where the economy will go next. If you look at

http://www.economicindicators.gov/

DJI is absent as an indicator. And it should be. DJI is very fickle, considering that people don't make money by means of dividend payouts. They make money by shorting and longing, both of these are speculative market "shenanigans" that have little to do with economy, but with transfer of wealth from one group of "gamblers" to another.

Quote:
Maybe a football analogy would help.

The Cowboys are playing the Vikings. Cowboys are down by 31 points. The Vikings have sacked their quarterback several times. The Cowboys get the ball and complete a 10-yard pass for a first down. An optimistic fan than exclaims, "They're coming back!" Well,,, a first down is a good thing but it is a long way from a touchdown and they need several touchdowns without allowing the Viking to score in order to pull a head.

If we were talking about ONE stock, your analogy would be correct...But, Shane, we are talking about a group of stocks that ended the week UP. Now, I am NOT saying that the Cowboys are gonna win the superbowl. I am saying that I know we got a good team in place. I know that we got a good coach. I know that coach and key team players to say that when they get into thier "groove", things are gonna change....Since they have lost so many games, now, they have won ONE....All I am saying is that this ONE game is a game of hope..A win that perhaps will take them back to hope...I did not say that it was a to win the superbowl...I said that now was the time to hope...

Redwood, You accuse me of being blind.

Perhaps you are correct...I am probably blind to things like hope,... faith,... and love....I really do a lot of trusting in these area...You see, I see many who are blind to other things as well...things like the opposite of hope faith and love...things like dispair, hopelessness, and outright apathy and anger.....It's a seathing hatred that under mines foundations like mine, and causes this hopelessness...Yes, it comes down to a choice...and I chose to be blind, to dwell on hopeful things...because I want not only me but all to win.....and I wish you would not attempt to change this because it comes thru as hate....Therefore, I choose hope and love and faith...and I chose to be blinded by these things....

Fccool-

If, as you say, the economy drives the stocks, then why is the market up this past week when we see layoffs continue? There is a bit of faith that drives the stock market as well....despite your analysis...

Gentlemen,

I know that you want me to be solid on your versions of reality....But, gentlemen, your versions of reality are soooo...sooooo.....depressing. I can not accept this type of depressing reality..Faith calls me to a better place...Faith calls me to hope...

.....And I have evidence that says..."hope!"

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

If you B banking on that coach ... you are in for a whole heapin' of disappointment.

And I ain't goin' ta b around to bail you out.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
f we were talking about ONE stock, your analogy would be correct...

No, my analogy is still correct. One good week on the market is still a minor thing. Let's see if it turns into a good month. I heard housing has been up this past month and so far inflation is in check. Those are good things. Let's see where we are a month from now and if it continues we may have reason to be optimistic.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
I know that you want me to be solid on your versions of reality....But, gentlemen, your versions of reality are soooo...sooooo.....depressing. I can not accept this type of depressing reality..Faith calls me to a better place...Faith calls me to hope...

.....And I have evidence that says..."hope!"

The problem is that you hope that the "normal" way of American life will resume. I have bad news for you. The way we've been living for the past 20 years is unsustainable. The amount of debt people took on to finance this way of life becomes almost impossible to pay off. So default is on the horizon.

You say we are "depressing" and that you are "hopeful". What exactly are you hoping for? Bible clearly predicts hard times ahead... much harder than we have it right now.

I agree fccool. Neil needs to wake up and face the facts of what the Obama Administration has done to our country.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Several of us agree with Neil.

There's no excuse for blaming Obama for the mess which he inherited. He's getting us out of trouble as fast as is humanly possible.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

What they have done is to drag us and our children in debt. Why? Just so that some people can get multi-million dollar bonuses.

I believe in Hematology.

I agree fccool. Neil needs to wake up and face the facts of what the Obama Administration has done to our country.

Dude! Are you serious???? Ahahahahaha... you are going to blame a guy whose been in the office for 3 month for this economic crisis? What about the past 8 years of Bush walking around shutting everyone's eyes and saying that people have nothing to worry about and that the fundamentals of the economy are strong. Sure, I don't like what Obama is doing, but it's time to take your head out of the partisanship sand and see the way things are. R&D are just labels that these people play... it has nothing to do with reality.

PS. Bush administration DOUBLED the national debt. DOUBLED!!!!

The stock market runs on fear and anticipation and confidence in the future. The Obama Admin. policies are not instilling confidence in the markets. As soon as Obama came into office he started spending trillions. With the amount of debt that he is putting this nation into ... it will ruin the country. The markets are just reflecting this concern.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
What about the past 8 years of Bush walking around shutting everyone's eyes and saying that people have nothing to worry about and that the fundamentals of the economy are strong.

Are you quoting Bush or Obama? This is exactly what Obama is saying this week. Haven't you been listening to F _ _ ? Yes, I heard it myself. Obama is out there preaching exactly what Bush and McCain were saying last year. The difference is that Obama has quickly destroyed the Markets and thus ... the statement is no longer true. He is trying to parrot the confidence that Bush and McCain had ... but it is simply no longer true.

I believe in Hematology.

You say we are "depressing" and that you are "hopeful". What exactly are you hoping for? Bible clearly predicts hard times ahead... much harder than we have it right now.

Yes, the bible does predict hard time ahead...The bible also says that men's hearts are failing them for fear. I will agree with you that with the current gloom and doom scenerio that you have been protraying for the future, men's hearts will fail...I see where Christians, who continue to magnify the gloom by expertly telling us that the future doesn't look rosey, that there is no hope of promise, we Christians would be literally guilty of killing the hope of men....Would heaven look upon those Christians favorably if once in heaven, they can only see the sadness, and point to the badness of things. Such people are depressing among those who are cheerful....How much more so that heaven would reject the "doom and gloom" crowd?

I reject the doom and gloom crowd...I also reject looking at the future and seeing just the bad times ahead. I prefer to look at the rose and concentrate on the beauty and fragrance of the rose...not just the thorns...That is why between now and when Jesus comes, I will be the eternal optimist, who, when Jesus does come, will say, "Lo, this is MY God, whom I have waited for all this time." .....

Gentlemen, based upon your 'doom and gloom' outlook, you too will say, when Jesus comes, "Lo this is our God, whom we have waited for all these years...and they were sad, and bad years too, full of suffering and pain....pain in which we endured and pain that was exscruciating...BTW, Jesus, those sandles that you are wearing, aren't those from K-mart and not from Neman Marcus? They look a bit worn for the wear...."

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
f we were talking about ONE stock, your analogy would be correct...

No, my analogy is still correct. One good week on the market is still a minor thing. Let's see if it turns into a good month. I heard housing has been up this past month and so far inflation is in check. Those are good things. Let's see where we are a month from now and if it continues we may have reason to be optimistic.

Shane, I disagree,...but as I have said to you before....If you say so...

George Bernard Shaw

Several of us agree with Neil.

There's no excuse for blaming Obama for the mess which he inherited. He's getting us out of trouble as fast as is humanly possible.

Thank you, jennie..I appreaciate the support. excited

Oh, and guys.... tongue

biglaugh

George Bernard Shaw

BTW, gentlemen,.....

You might find this interesting....

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks surged Tuesday, with the major stock gauges ending higher for the fifth out of six sessions, as investors continued to dig out from 12-year lows.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) added 179 points, or 2.5%. The S&P 500 (SPX) index rose 24 points, or 3.2%. The Nasdaq composite (COMP) gained 24 points, or 3.2%.

A better-than-expected housing market report released Tuesday gave investors a reason to cheer. But the advance over the past week has been largely a rebound after all the selling, said John Merrill, chief investment officer at Tanglewood Wealth Management.

"The decline markets endured between the middle of January and the middle of March was like a rubber band pulled tighter and tighter with each new low," he said. "It was at such an extreme that it had to snap back at some point."

Between Jan. 6 and March 9, the S&P 500 slumped nearly 28%, ending at a 12-1/2 year low. Merrill said that level was "an important low, but probably not the final low." Nonetheless, he said stocks could ultimately rise 20% or more off those lows before hitting a wall.

Since March 9, stocks have gained in five of six sessions, with the S&P 500 rising 15% as of Tuesday's close.

In addition to the technical factors causing the advance, the rally was in reaction to a few pieces of better news, including Tuesday's housing report and last week's February retail sales report.

Citigroup and other banks said they were profitable in the first two months of the year, helping the financial sector. Banks also got a boost from talk about reinstating the "uptick rule" that limits short selling and changing mark-to-market accounting.

"It's not surprising that after selling off aggressively, the market is now looking for some signs of stability," said Alan Gayle, director of asset allocation at RidgeWorth Investments.

However, he said investors need to be cautious, as a few better-than-expected economic reports doesn't change the overall picture, which remains tough.

"This is very much a bear market rally and I think most people agree that at some point, we are going to need to retest those lows," said Drew Kanaly, chairman and CEO of Kanaly Trust Company.

"At some point we are going to have to start looking at the earnings and that's probably the next turning point," he said

CNN MONEY

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

And the Dow is still going up.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

And the Dow is still going up.

sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant but I think this is just another temporary rally. Thus economy is well and truly busted.

When the fed buys its own debt you know things are bad. The Dow is probably going below 5000 when this is all said and done.

I'm an Obama supporter but I think the fix is in as far as the economy is concerned. Fasten your seat belts folks!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Lazarus,

You might be right....However, I was starved for some good news, especially since there was sooooo much negetive posts from the likes of Redwood, Oger, Mr. Ed, and even Shane...That I had to post something positive...

Boy, you would have thought I posted a bold face lie on this website. And all I wanted to say was that it was a good week and a week of hope....

but no matter how you slice it, the economy is begining to stop it's slide downward at the rate it was going....It is easing...that is hope, Lazarus...That doesn't mean that it wont continue down, just that it wont be as fast...Which shows that there is some forces at work that is trying to overcome the slide....

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Lazarus,

You might be right....However, I was starved for some good news, especially since there was sooooo much negetive posts from the likes of Redwood, Oger, Mr. Ed, and even Shane...That I had to post something positive...

Eccles 7:2 It is better to spend your time at funerals than at festivals. For you are going to die, and you should think about it while there is still time.

3.Sorrow is better than laughter, for sadness has a refining influence on us.

4.A wise person thinks much about death, while the fool thinks only about having a good time now.

Suck it up, its good for ya!!!

flower

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Quote:

Quote:
Boy, you would have thought I posted a bold face lie on this website.

Quote:
No one would have noticed.

Good Response Ichabod.

LOL

I believe in Hematology.