ClubAdventist is back!

Consumer spending up for second straight month

Quote:
Are we coming out of the ressession? Looks like it...Whatcha think?

… By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer Martin Crutsinger, Ap Economics Writer – 51 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The government says consumers increased spending for a second straight month in February even though their incomes slipped due to continuing massive layoffs.

The Commerce Department reported Friday that consumer spending edged up 0.2 percent in February, in line with expectations. That follows a huge 1 percent jump in January that was even better than the 0.6 percent rise originally reported.

But the report says incomes fell by 0.2 percent in February, the fourth drop in the past five months, declines that reflected the sizable number of job layoffs that have been occurring because of the recession.

After-tax incomes also fell in February, edging down by 0.1 percent. With incomes down while spending rose, the personal savings rate dipped slightly to 4.2 percent in February, compared to 4.4 percent in January. Still, the latest two-month performance marked the first time that the savings rate has been above 4 percent for two consecutive months in more than a decade.

Economists believe that the deep recession, already the longest in a quarter-century, will continue prompting consumers to do more to trim spending and boost their savings. However, that development could make it more difficult for the country to pull out of the recession since consumer spending accounts for about 70 percent of economic activity.

The back-to-back increases in consumer spending in January and February had followed six straight declines in spending that occurred from July through December. Consumer spending in the fourth quarter fell at an annual rate of 4.3 percent, the biggest decline in 28 years, and was the major factor pushing overall economic activity down by 6.3 percent during that period.

Many economists believe that the gross domestic product will drop by around that amount in the current January-March period and will continue falling in the spring although at a slower pace. Many analysts are not looking for the current recession, which began in December 2007, to end until the second half of this year.

A price gauge tied to consumer spending rose by 0.3 percent in February and was up 0.2 percent excluding food and energy, indicating that the recession has contributed to a significant moderate in inflation pressures

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

It sounds good so far, lets wait and see if it continues.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Yes pk ... we do need more than just two months.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Yes Redwood it does go both ways. It could easily turn and go the other way. I said before that we needed to give Obama a while to see if things turn around, so now that things are looking up, I think we need to give that time also.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Yes. But the two months are a result of Bush policies not Obama policies.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Not necessarily Redwood, weren't you the one that said in another post somewhere that after 2 months everything now is on Obama!!! I probably would have agreed with you on that, but not now. :)

pk

phkrause

Whoops

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Quote:
The government says consumers increased spending for a second straight month in February even though their incomes slipped due to continuing massive layoffs.

This is actually bad news!

Why are people spending more when incomes are going down. This recession is about correcting the fiscal imbalance. People need to stop spending, save and pay down debt. This 70% consumer spending economy is unsustainable.

Folks are talking about recovery because the DOW is up. Check the figures but the biggest rally's come in the bear market. The largest rally's that have ever been seen on Wall Street were during the depression. The largest happened I think a day after the 1929 crash.

Get out of stocks folks!

bigsigh

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Really ... I have a view as follows.

The stock market is based upon the future and fear or confidence of the current and future policies.

Spending is based more on your current status. And that is more on the policies of the past.

Just my thoughts here.

What think you?

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

thumbsupLOL

pk

phkrause

Right dgrimm. Stocks are DOWN today.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I've had an interesting personal discovery in the past few months since the crash in Oct 2008.

I was doing an evangelistic series in my church during the October crash. I could not understand the issues involved it just did not make sense to me why we should bail these banks out. I began to read search the net etc. I had to get past all the conspiracy theory stuff and then I began to see how broken the financial system is.

When the "government" begins to but its own debt you know things are messed up.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members

You could be right dgrimm, he's just biding his time.

pk

phkrause

HEY REDWOOD

WELL STOCK MAYBE BE DOWN but it is at the end of the

day that we will have to see what happens...

dgrimm60

Minus 148

I believe in Hematology.

yes ... sad but true.

I believe in Hematology.