ClubAdventist is back!

Where to put our money if we have any.

Woody

On the news today ... I saw crowds breaking into banks in London. It made me concerned for these times. I have become concerned seeing my savings in the Stock Market disappear. And then with the banks failing and being broken into ... The question is:

Where do we put our money?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Thanks Dottie. I appreciate the symbolism ... but until I get there ....

I believe in Hematology.

I meant, in our offerings, etc.

I don't worry about money. I've been in situations where I had none, and God was still with me, and provided enough to live, maybe not very comfortably, but I'm still here. . .

Really? I thought we were supposed to put our treasure in Heaven, and not worry about what thieves could steal. :)

On a serious note, I guess make sure you don't have any debt. Then you could split the rest and put it in several places that way all of your eggs aren't in one basket so to speak. Money markets, a 401K (even though they aren't doing that great right now), a savings account, a safety deposit box (it won't make any interest but you won't lose anything either) and don't forget what our grandparents use to do--a mason jar out in the backyard.

Try not to get wrapped up in the "media frenzy" over how bad the money situation is--the media (no matter which one it is) wants everyone to panic. Remember to not let your heart be troubled, be still and know that God will meet all your needs.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

It doesn't matter because when our governments fail it will be a free-for-all (anarchy). Don't worry about tomorrow for you have enough troubles for today.

Rob

• Members

I know what you mean Redwood. I asked my next door neighbor if he lost any money, he said that he took all his money out of his 401 and whatever else he had many years ago. He put his money into CDs. He said he knows that it doesn't give the same return as money market accounts, but he hasn't lost a dime. And if he needs any money he just takes it out. He does have to pay a pennilty, but he says its not very much. I'm thinking about doing that myself.

pk

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Thanks Dottie. I appreciate the symbolism ... but until I get there ....

Not that you don't have enough to worry about already, Redwood, just consider how your going to answer that question when this circumstance arises.

"And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."Revelation 13:15-18 KJV

I've concluded when my best plans fail to allow me to pay my expenses, I can depend on Jesus if I've worked to satisfy His children in their time of need.

Of course I'm sure you recognize this does involve working at what God asks.

"Now Elijah the Tishbite, from Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the next few years except at my word."

Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah: "Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. You will drink from the brook, and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there."

So he did what the LORD had told him. He went to the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan, and stayed there. The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook.

Some time later the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land. Then the word of the LORD came to him: "Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food." So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?" As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread."

"As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die."

Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.' "

She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah." 1 Kings 17:1-16 NIV

"And the King will answer....inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’"Matthew 25:40 NKJV

Regards! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Delete.

I would like to stick to the subject of the thread.

This is as off subject as welcoming a new comer.

I believe in Hematology.

I know what you mean Redwood. I asked my next door neighbor if he lost any money, he said that he took all his money out of his 401 and whatever else he had many years ago. He put his money into CDs. He said he knows that it doesn't give the same return as money market accounts, but he hasn't lost a dime. And if he needs any money he just takes it out. He does have to pay a pennilty, but he says its not very much. I'm thinking about doing that myself.

pk

Thanks pk.I will have to look into it. I am rather ignorant to such things.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:

(back on subject)

Just like other types of insurance, having a savings account for a rainy day is prudent, I believe.

Mrs KeyGuy rolled her 401K to a CD before the market crashed, saving her retirement funds fully. It was a miracle of timing... at least it's what I perceive.

We have other savings in precious metals. If (when?) the economy tanks, gold and silver should do alright.

I have concerns about the 'treasure in Heaven' advice. How much is too much to keep for emergencies and how much to invest in spiritual assistance?

We are told that, just like when the apostles needed the funds and the Christian community gave sacrificially, so we will be given the opportunity to do that as we get closer to the end times. I am praying that I am sensitive to the needs/timing and be willing and happy to draw on savings as needed.

In the meantime, it appears that Russia likes the stability of gold, too.

• Moderators

I have been thinking about that lately. If I put the money in a bank, the interest earned is miniscule and they could fail or just close down. If I leave it in the stock market, no telling what will happen. Gov't bonds? Well, you might get a 3% return or less. And our gov't is insolvent. No telling how long it's going to be borrowing or printing money before all financial hell breaks loose. Municipal bonds? State bonds? They're all in trouble too. No telling how long it's able to operate. If I kept cash in my house, someone might get wind of it and suffer home invasion. Bury it in the yard? If someone put a gun to my head or my wife's, I would surely tell where it is.

If I knew for sure that I wouldn't need it, I'd put it all in the church coffers.

At this point, I'm at a lose as to where to put what I have left after the stock market debacle.

Gerry. That has been exactly where I have been at. Is it possible for us both to be in the same place on this issue? LOST ...

I believe in Hematology.

Delete.

I would like to stick to the subject of the thread.

This is as off subject as welcoming a new comer.

The subject was where to put your money if you had any. The scripture gave an example during stressful times when Elijah didn't have any and the widow was about out of resources.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also..." Matt 6:19-21 KJV

The fact that a person doesn't want to follow the advice doesn't mean it's off topic.reyes

Regards! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

So..... after we have 'returned' our tithe and 'given' offerings what would be so bad about putting what surplus you have after expenses into one of the Revolving Funds that most of the Denominational Unions have?

These funds are then loaned out to churches and denominational organizations to be able to begin building ( when they have a qualifying percentage) instead of waiting until they have "all" the money in hand.

Sure, the percentage paid is a bit lower than paid elsewhere but also the rate which the organizations pay is likewise lower.

Let's face it. We are, probably, going to lose "most" of our investments sometime "further down the pike"... In my way of thinking

if we are going to lose it all anyway, the Lord's work would be the place to lose it.

• Moderators

Quote:

Just adding on: precious metals is the way to go. It may make sense to take physical possession since many companies will take your money but may not actually have the actual gold/silver. They may give you a certificate but that is only paper after all. If the economy really crashes its suggested that some companies like Comex may actually default!

Not an expert but folks say foreign far east stocks, mining company stocks and green stocks. You'll have to study that for yourself.

Quote:
I have concerns about the 'treasure in Heaven' advice. How much is too much to keep for emergencies and how much to invest in spiritual assistance?

I think the basic general rule has been that you have three month expenses saved.

Quote:
In the meantime, it appears that Russia likes the stability of gold, too.

Gold to preserve wealth

Silver to increase wealth

Apparently the "old" money is moving to Gold. Word is that governments, including the US, are buying gold.

I believe the worst is yet to come. I think a crash is coming but that does not mean that Jesus will come at the same time. If he does, Praise the Lord! I won't need the precious metals, I'll be waking on them. If He "tarries" however our family will be able to weather the storm and help others.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

I don't know how old you are, LH, but after returning a faithful tithe and liberal offerings, do you have a retirement plan?

• Moderators

So..... after we have 'returned' our tithe and 'given' offerings what would be so bad about putting what surplus you have after expenses into one of the Revolving Funds that most of the Denominational Unions have?

These funds are then loaned out to churches and denominational organizations to be able to begin building ( when they have a qualifying percentage) instead of waiting until they have "all" the money in hand.

Sure, the percentage paid is a bit lower than paid elsewhere but also the rate which the organizations pay is likewise lower.

Let's face it. We are, probably, going to lose "most" of our investments sometime "further down the pike"... In my way of thinking

if we are going to lose it all anyway, the Lord's work would be the place to lose it.

I know little or nothing about this, can you elaborate? Or tell me who to call?

• Moderators

Quote:

Gold to preserve wealth

Apparently the "old" money is moving to Gold. Word is that governments, including the US, are buying gold.

I believe the worst is yet to come. I think a crash is coming but that does not mean that Jesus will come at the same time. If he does, Praise the Lord! I won't need the precious metals, I'll be waking on them. If He "tarries" however our family will be able to weather the storm and help others.

Even the price of precious metals goes up & down too.

Gerry

I have been studying the financial markets for years. I have known this crash would come for over 20 years. I invested in citicorp put options 12 years ago. But they keep propping it up. They keep moving the chairs around until the entire market has collapsed. Now there is a big opportunity to make money in a sinking market. Actually if you have the nerves you can make a fortune.

But I have also been studding the bible and the red books. I an convinced that Jesus will return in less than 10 years. I have made all my investments on this belief. That means no retirement savings.

I am investing all my money (what little I have) in mission projects and poor people overseas.

Some may think I am a fool. But the red books say there will be a time when money is useless. I never understood that until about a year ago. At some point every monetary expert agrees the US dollar will be useless. Why not invest it in mission and poor while you can.

I have seen many in America not join the church because they might loose their job. Then later they lost their job anyway. What a shame they did not make it count.

Folks, make it count while you can.

• Moderators

Quote:

Gold to preserve wealth

Even the price of precious metals goes up & down too.

Of course. "what goes up must come down" The ups and downs of markets are in many senses predictable. There were many who were predicting the crash of 08. Check out Peter Schiff on Youtube.

Buy low sell High!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

When I first became a SDA, I thought I would never finish HS before Jesus came. When I was in HS, I had doubts I would finish college much less med school. Here I am, 39 years past med school. Right now I feel like the Second Coming can't be too far off much longer, but that is how I had been thinking all those years. A colleague of mine did not plan for retirement;I don't think he even had insurance. Well, he died, and left his wife and children with what?

Yes, I also believe what the red books say - that there will come a time when money will be of no value. But in the meantime, what?

I don't know who said it, but someone said: Plan as though you will be around a long time, and live as though Christ will come any moment.

• Moderators

If the ups and downs of the market were as predictable as you seem to intimate, then so many of the experts would not have been caught with their pants down.

• Moderators

I think we had a similar experience and we're close in age. I'm 42 and I thought Jesus would have been here by now. He may come next month but I'm planning in case he doesn't come in my lifetime.

Einstein

• Moderators

If the ups and downs of the market were as predictable as you seem to intimate, then so many of the experts would not have been caught with their pants down.

I chose my words very carefully..... "in many senses". I'm not saying that I can predict it but there have been some who have, consistently. Just because someone is called an expert by CNBC it doesn't mean that they actually are. If the experts get it wrong it does not mean that these things aren't predictable it just means the experts got it wrong!

Only recently my eyes have been opened to how the banking system works. Who the federal reserve is and all that stuff and then you begin to realize that a lot of the financial trouble we see now was predictable.

Right now many are talking "bottom" of the market yet we've lost probably 700,000 jobs in March! The UK cannot sell it debt. The US is buying its own debt! The G20 is giving the IMF $1trillion. What does this all mean?

CNBC will say don't worry about that....look over here. If you look at what the important indicators you'll know that the Dow is going back down below 6,000. The US dollar may lose its reserve currency status. Inflation will reduce your buying power. Etc. Etc.

Einstein