ClubAdventist is back!

A bow is a bow

• Moderators

I didn't see the bow but in some place it is the same as shaking hands....

No president of the USA should ever bown to any earthy potentate, including the pope!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• bonnie

• Taylor

• Dr. Shane

In many cultures, bowing is a simple common courtesy and shows good manners. It means that you are not any better than the other person. We don't have royalty in this country. I'm sure Obama tries to do whatever is appropriate in whatever country he is in. If he lied about what he did, that's one thing. Otherwise, it's a huge non-issue.

During "The War", when the Olympics occured...when the flags came marching in they all tilted...or "bowed" to the German flag, except for one, the American flag which went past tall and straight.That, I am proud of!

Now it is true that in many people's opinions, America has conducted itself in a "haughty" or "prideful" manner. We should be proud to be American's without flaunting an attitude of superiority for the sake of being superior. (For instance, it personally bothered me when Bush said "We will now begin the Shock and Awe" , even if the war was completely warrented I don't think we need to use the word "awe"...that just sounds a bit too haughty.

I think that as a nation we can hold our head up high and be respectful (a slight bow or tilt of the head to indicate mutual respect) but a deep bow usually shows "too much respect" bordering on "homage" and that is bothersome.

I will not judge Obama's motives, as none of us can know his motives and it is true that in some cultures it would be exceedingly rude for us to not bow or for them to not bow to us etc...but it should be a "slight" blow not a deep bow. On the other hand, I doubt most people would have had a fit if he had bowed to the priminister of Japan for instance. So it is a ticklish situation.

Obama has the allegation of being Muslim over his head. He goes to the UK and doesn't bow to the queen but does bow to an Islamic king. Then he comes home and lies about it. That doesn't look good for the President.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: jasd
Deleted:

I sure wish I knew what you deleted. I hope it was some strong words for the White House for saying he didn't bow when he clearly bowed. That is what really concerns me. If we can't believe what the White House says ... what kind of Democracy do we have?

Just when did/could you have confidence in the information that comes from the White House or the Capitol?

• Moderators

In many cultures, bowing is a simple common courtesy and shows good manners. It means that you are not any better than the other person. We don't have royalty in this country. I'm sure Obama tries to do whatever is appropriate in whatever country he is in. If he lied about what he did, that's one thing. Otherwise, it's a huge non-issue.

Did he bown down to the queen of England?

Originally Posted By: carolaa

The lie is obvious. You can see it

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo

[/quote']

The lie is obvious. You can see it

I keep waiting for the outrage from the left who repeatedly called Bush a liar and a murderer. Where are their principles with this obvious lie?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

To be honest, I haven't watched any footage of the infamous bow. But if he really did bow, then I would roll my eyes and wonder why he felt it necessary to lie about it. Unfortunately, most politicians lie. But I doubt his lie put the country in danger or went against the Constitution.

To be honest, I haven't watched any footage of the infamous bow. But if he really did bow, then I would roll my eyes and wonder why he felt it necessary to lie about it. Unfortunately, most politicians lie. But I doubt his lie put the country in danger or went against the Constitution.

Those that lie,LIE. Plain and simple.The more petty the lie the more troubling it is.

People can and do excuse those that lie to get out of trouble or feel like they are protecting themselves or family.

When you are incapable of admitting a mistake,or brushing it off with "Yes I bowed and so what" have trouble with truth all the way around.

This has gotten to big as everyone that has seen the footage knows the President is lying.

It is like Biden if you have ever paid attention to his political career. The man is a conversational liar,so what will Obama trust him with

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

I'll ask again.

Can anyone send me a link to where the President himself, or any non-anonymous, official spokesperson for the White House has indicated that the President did not bow?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

• Administrators

Perhaps you would prefer the more chummy Bush approach of holding hands, etc., with Abdullah...

Or dancing arm in arm with the Saudis...

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Perhaps you would prefer the more chummy Bush approach of holding hands, etc., with Abdullah...

Or dancing the light fantastic with the Saudis...

">

• Moderators

+1 Aubrey. We're getting lots of 'he lied', with video of the bow, but where is the video of him or his 'people' denying it? I couldn't find any on a quick google.

Truth is important

Quote:
Can anyone send me a link to where the President himself, or any non-anonymous, official spokesperson for the White House has indicated that the President did not bow?

Well, how about Press Secretary Robert Gibbs?

Quote:
Robert Gibbs denies that the president bowed to Saudi leaders at the G-20 conference, explaining that he simply bent down "to shake his hand."

Gibbs denies President Bowed

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Moderators

This is all I can find:

Quote:
“It wasn’t a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he’s taller than King Abdullah,” said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

In a right-wing blog site and then repeated all over the right-wing blogosphere.

So not a presidential statement, not an official White House pronouncement... a nameless 'aide'. No corroboration.

Those accusing their President of lying on this kind of non-evidence ought to be ashamed of themselves. What was that text about 'bearing false witness against your neighbour'?

Edit: This post was made at the same time as the one by there buster/ichabod that immediately precedes it, so I had not read that post when I wrote this one. I agree that the Gibbs quote is more official.

Truth is important

Thank you, Bravus. Thank you also, there buster. It is most enlightening to me to see that this thread was made before the Gibbs statement was made. I'm still uncertain as to whether or not the Gibbs statement can be considered "official".

But thank you both for providing these links.

I will be most appreciative if anyone can find an "official" statement, or even better--an official transcript of the President himself claiming that he did not bow.

+1 Aubrey. We're getting lots of 'he lied', with video of the bow, but where is the video of him or his 'people' denying it? I couldn't find any on a quick google.

Try Obama bowing to Saudi king. There are many places it gives where it is denied.

The whole thing is stupid. First the US president has no business bowing to a peer. He is not a subject of this king. Second what kind of PR people does he have surrounding him. It is not appropriate to begin with. Don't they tell him these little things. That is all stupid,what is not stupid is the lies,those are lies.

He was only bending down as the Saudi King is shorter than Obama.

So is Queen Elizabeth and I believe she got a hand shake as well and no bow.

Why not just tell the truth

• Members

Tom I have no problem with that either. And as I've mentioned before, I see nothing wrong with Obama's action's.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

This is all I can find:

Quote:
“It wasn’t a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he’s taller than King Abdullah,” said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

In a right-wing blog site and then repeated all over the right-wing blogosphere.

So not a presidential statement, not an official White House pronouncement... a nameless 'aide'. No corroboration.

Those accusing their President of lying on this kind of non-evidence ought to be ashamed of themselves. What was that text about 'bearing false witness against your neighbour'?

Maybe you might like to try CNN unless that has taken a right turn since the bow

Tom I have no problem with that either. And as I've mentioned before, I see nothing wrong with Obama's action's.

pk

Lies are actions as well

Try Obama bowing to Saudi king. There are many places it gives where it is denied.

Still can't find anything official. Maybe you have a link to it? Will you share the link with me?

Quote:
I'm still uncertain as to whether or not the Gibbs statement can be considered "official".

well, how about the "official" WHite House transcript of the press conference. And yes, the press secretary is the 'official' spokesman for the President. When the Press Secretary speaks, it is official.

White House transcript

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Members

and when did he say, when I get to meet the saudi king, I'm not going to bow?

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}