ClubAdventist is back!

Cap and Trade Bill Could Be a Trial Lawyer's Bonanza

Cap-and-Trade Bill Could be a Trial Lawyer's Bonanza:

Michelle Bachman-Mn Congresswoman

Again, I want to thank the hundreds of Minnesotans who came to the forums I hosted two weeks ago on the cap-and-trade energy tax. Of course, since then, still more has been learned about the 600-plus-page bill that will be considered by the House on this matter.

Last week, the Washington Times exposed a hidden provision in the bill that “sets grounds for anyone 'who has suffered, or reasonably expects to suffer, a harm attributable, in whole or in part,' to government inaction to file a 'citizen suit.' The term 'harm' is broadly defined as 'any effect of air pollution (including climate change), currently occurring or at risk of occurring.'

"Under the House bill, if a judge rules against the government, new rules would have to be drafted to alleviate the problems associated with climate change. If a judge rules against a company, the company would have to purchase additional 'carbon emission allowances' through a cap-and-trade program that is to be created by Congress."

This cap-and-trade bill "would allow citizens to seek up to $75,000 in damages from the government each year, but would cap the total amount paid out each year at $1.5 million."

In recent years, people have brought million-dollar lawsuits for fatty foods, hot coffee, and dry-cleaned slacks. Is there any question, that this provision of the cap-and-trade bill would mean more frivolous lawsuits or that such suits would be aimed more at achieving a political goal than at getting legal justice? This is just one more reason that cap-and-trade legislation will be bad for the economy.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

Something we agree on, bonnie (!): cap-and-trade is a horrible solution to the climate change problem.

Truth is important

I don't consider my health to be a frivolous matter.

I didn't say you did.

Not sure that was the point Micelle Bachman was making anyway.

It is the cap and trade and the tremendous cost and control it exerts over ameican people.

The people that cause Obama such angst are the very ones that will now quite literally be deciding between Heat and lights and their rent

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Something we agree on, bonnie (!): cap-and-trade is a horrible solution to the climate change problem.

It is. But what a wonderful tool and excuse to raise taxes thru the roof.

People on welfare or fixed income will be squeezed so hard they can't do it,or they will take it from those that they feel can.

Every item they can tax or tax more is getting it.

In MN they are trying to pass a tax on downloads.

Extra tax on cigarettes. I have little sympathy for the tobacco companies,but even less for a government that subsidizes tobacco farmers,makes it possible to stay in business and then say "Another tax"

That again is going to hit the low income and the uneducated.

If it made them quit that would be great, for most it won't.. But it is a legal product with the governments blessing and money.

They are trying to stick more of a tax or a new tax on everything.

Most will be sucessful.

Higher the taxes,the lower the revenue.

I think cap and trade is too lenient. Corporations would still be allowed to spew their pollution. The rest of us can turn off our lights, but that's nothing compared to what they are doing.

I think cap and trade is too lenient. Corporations would still be allowed to spew their pollution. The rest of us can turn off our lights, but that's nothing compared to what they are doing.

Then you have no idea what cap and trade is and what it will do.

Let's get those corporations ,then we have to get the truckers,which they will. Then you and I are going to have a very hard time buying even the necessities.

It seems and impossible concept for many. Go after the suppliers,the producers and those vulgar rich and it does not take long to get to you.

When they removed lead from paint,made it more costly to buy and to dispose of empty cans,guess who picked up that tab for painters? The paint manufacturer recouped the higher dollar amount from the seller of the paint. The seller of the paint recouped it from the painter,the painter recouped it from the homeowner.

But the amount of people that would smugly say It was about time the manufacturer paid was amazing

Besides creating a health hazard for the painter with latex.

My husband is paying the price now. The human body will eliminate lead from the body. Latex is there to stay for life.

My husband did a lot of spraying and is paying for it big time.

Mostly, we just don't want to do what we need to do in order to stop destroying the earth. There shouldn't be cap and trade; there should be 90% elimination, period. No cap, no trade. But we're too concerned with losing our comfort. Nobody said it would be easy. But the alternative is....the planet will no longer be able to sustain life. Our comfort won't do us much good then.

Mostly, we just don't want to do what we need to do in order to stop destroying the earth. There shouldn't be cap and trade; there should be 90% elimination, period. No cap, no trade. But we're too concerned with losing our comfort. Nobody said it would be easy. But the alternative is....the planet will no longer be able to sustain life. Our comfort won't do us much good then.

Your alternative is speculation. As is the planet unable to sustain life.

But for the well known that do believe or claim to believe should be ready to act. After all,a planet unable to sustain life will not be able to sustain Al Gores lavish use of that which he says is in danger.

All the celebrities should be worried enough to scale back to one house,one car(smallest).

Comfort is not the word I use for heat,lights,food etc.

Cap & trade is a political*correct term for

"Grab & Claim."

As long as the class warefare against the corp or rich is so sucessful it is only going to get worse.

Everyone is after corp or manufacturer. They produce what there is a demand for. Who creates the demand and how do they think they will escape the cost.

Stop demanding products and the problem resolves it's self.

I grew up without electricity,running water and indoor bathrooms,no central heat. Love to see those that think the planet is going to cease to exist as we know it to go back to the simpler life.

I remember well and could do it if I had to,but is pretty low on my list of fond memories

What would your dad say about environmentalist wackos today?

og

Afraid I would have to sanitize it a bit. Will send you the unedited version. Not vulgar but would certainly not be appreciated,

Daddy had a little problem with "experts". Make sure when you follow their trail you will be happy where you end up.

The older I get the more respect I have for his forsight