ClubAdventist is back!

Who can stay in America?

Can you tell me why you and so many believe that it is all right for those that can work not to.

Able bodied ,basic needs that have quite generously provided, refuse to learn the language of the country that is now their permanent home. How does this become wrong and warrant the rather snide remarks concerning the need for the immigrants to become like us.

How long and how many do we keep on the dole and not have any expectations for them

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Wow.

I assume they have excised these words from the base of the Statue of Liberty?

Graeme

PS

Or maybe they have added all the new qualifications?

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

I am still hoping someone will reply and explain what is wrong with the expectation that those on government assistance work.

Why able bodied people are not expected to take responsibility for their own lies.

Use the time ,money and opportunity to better their situation

Yearning to breathe free. . .

Not yearning to eat free.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Yearning to breathe free. . .

Not yearning to eat free.

Being conservative is made to be seen as unfeeling and selfish,especially here.

Those that treat immigrants as somehow unable to function as able bodied intelligent people are bigoted or racist IMO.

Keeping certain groups dependent and not expecting them to achieve or excel in anything except charity is about as racist or bigoted as it gets.

There is no reason immigrants coming here to not take advantage of the hand up. Improve those skills that will enable them to work towards self sufficiency. There is free help for that but of course you cannot make people come. Why should they?

Housing,medical,food is all provided. There is no expectation of them to excel at anything.

Keeping certain groups dependent does not produce appreciation or a desire to care for one's self and family.

It is degrading,humiliating,bigoted and racist. Stripping them of self respect.

As a conservative I believe they are as capable as I am,intelligent enough to succeed, many times exceeding their own expectations.

They take the help offered when they come to this country and run with it. No special skills or abilities.

Only a desire to do their best and live in a free land.

HEY BONNIE

I agree that illegals should not get any benefits

but it seems that the illegals are working

now they might be getting free medical care which

I DON'T think is right but there are a lot of U.S.

CITIZENS are not working....

another problem is when NANCY POLASKI and others

want to give these illegals social security..

but I KNOW that there are legal immigrants that are

working just like the rest of the U..S. CITIZENS...

I was told as least as TENNESSEE is concerned that

hospitals and renters can not asked if the people are

illegal or not that as long as they have money that is

what is important....

so there are some things that I WILL agree with you on

but saying that all immigrants that are coming here

legally go home I disagree...

dgrimm60

Then we shouldn't have a problem. I have never said all legal immigrants go home. I have never said they should not be given a hand when they come.

Those legal immigrants that do not make an effort to become a productive member of our society and seem to think they can live on taxpayers money for life can go to canad or Australia

or Canada . I am sure they would find al their hearts desire outside the US.

Many immigrants are a assest to this country. Not just the monetary but in the familes they take pride and raise.

• Moderators

Excellent. That last sentence was all I was looking for all along. They're the great majority, yet look how much time you've spent railing against the tiny majority who don't want to work. It's about balance.

Truth is important

I am a strong proponent of legal immigration. I believe the US is and has been tremendously enriched by legal immigrants from all over.

It is illegal immigrants, and those who want to change America in ways which will destroy the very things that attracted them here in the first place.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Excellent. That last sentence was all I was looking for all along. They're the great majority, yet look how much time you've spent railing against the tiny majority who don't want to work. It's about balance.

So very glad I passed your test.

The ones that refuse to help themselves are an extreme drain on our resources.And they are nor few and far between.

If you lived here in MN you may have a little more accurate idea of some of the problems. Problems that do not make the news but does not lessen the problems that is created.

The vast majority is not accurate. More and more there sre large groups that flat out refuse to work. They don't have to as they have the same idea of what the writing on the stature of liberty actually means as you seem to.

Many have also said same about welfare recipients. Almost all can work. That was borne out when MN had the brains to enact a five year rule. Many left the welfare rolls.

Now we will be working to support those young women that think "having a baby is cool"

The drain on resources prevents many that cannot help themselves from being helped as many of us would like to see.

To give the best, most beneficial help and support for those that truly want the right things and to achieve is not possible.

Legal immigrants that refuse to help themselves,learn the language so they can work should leave. Yesterday would not be soon enough. I would be very happy if canada or Australia would offer what they want us to offer and take the problem off our hands.

Welfare recipients that are physically and mentally capable need a deadline. If they continue to have children from various men,they need to lose their children.

PLace requirements on those demanding help.

Immigration needs to be reformed. The process to come to the US needs to be streamlined. A person shouldn't be waiting for years to be accepted or rejected. Obviously the circumstances are not the same today as they were 200 or 100 years ago. We cannot just opne our doors and let the country be over run with immigrants. 200 years ago we had plenty of land to settle and didn't worry about expanding the infrastructure like the electrical grid, roads, bridges and schools to keep up with immigration. Today we must have controlled growth so our infrastructure can keep up. We use to have rolling brown-outs here where I live until a few years ago when a new power plant came on line. The system just wasn't able to keep up with the demand.

Diversity can be a good thing but it is not all good. Should we encourage more off-shoot Mormon groups that believe in polygamy to spread out and populate all parts of the country? Should all neighborhoods have a polygamist sect to complete their diversity? Or perhaps we should bring in some cannibal headhunting immigrants from New Guinea to make the neighborhood a little more diverse.

The idea behind the USA is for it to form a unique culture different from the rest of the world. We are to be a melting pot. We are not looking for immigrants to assimilate to our culture but rather looking for them to contribute to our culture. Every culture has good things and bad things. In the US we want immigrants to bring the good with them and leave the bad behind. The Mexican culture, for example, has strong family and community ties. When they come here and settle into our communities they make good neighbors and improve our communities. However they also have a culture of male chauvinism. Many Mexicans, including women, believe it is acceptable for a husband to beat up his wife. Many Mexican men feel they are entitled to cheat on their wives. We don't want them bringing that part of their culture here. Bring the good and leave the bad. That is how immigration makes a unique, melting-pot culture.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

You still have not answered my question. Let's try it this way.

I have my own online business . Generally I begin work 5-5:30 AM

Between that and keeping house and doing errands I usually don't finish up till around 10:00 pm six days a week and sabbath after sundown.

Many people do this. Tell me why I should do that and give a portion to legal immigrants that refuse to help themselves or a ever increasing population of single mothers that continue to bring children into the world. Making no attempt to better their situation. Birth control is free for them. There is no reason for the number of children they keep having.

I am not talking of the young woman that is dealing with pregnancy and no skills. One that does everything she can to continue her education and take care of the child.

I would much rather see them get more help than they do. It is very rewarding to be involved with a young teen about to be mom really get it.

The second ,third,fourth time is when I back off and try to help those that I feel will take the help and run with it.

Quote:
Or perhaps we should bring in some cannibal headhunting immigrants from New Guinea to make the neighborhood a little more diverse

I don't believe we should allow 'head hunters' from New Guinea. In fact I am so oppose to them coming to this country ... I would 'ban' them. And if there are any head hunters here in the US ... I would deport them.

Just my 2 cents.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I am still hoping someone will reply and explain what is wrong with the expectation that those on government assistance work.

Why able bodied people are not expected to take responsibility for their own lies.

Use the time ,money and opportunity to better their situation

I don't know of anyone getting government assistance who is able bodied and is not working.

Anyway, in most places, government assistance is a temporary thing, so it's kind of a moot point. They have an opportunity to better themselves, and if they don't, then it's their problem when the assistance ends.

Come down to the Rio Grande Valley and we have thousands that are able bodied and don't work. When the assistance runs out the go back to work until they qualify for assistance again.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Immigrants are not forced to work. If they don't assimilate learn the language they really can't find much for work.

In out town and all the surrounding small towns have subsized housing and it is full.

Rarely men,women with several children with more than one father.

Now that the five year max on welfare has been done away with,this women do not need to work if they have children.

They can have a different man every night shacking up with them. They just cannot have the same man stay 2 nights in a row.

We also have many groups of somali. THEY DO NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you do not know them or live close to the situation. Some of us do.

Welfare for many single moms is a career choice. They of course will not get rich but it is enough to keep them comfortable without any effort.

I used to pick up children I did day care for some mornings.In the summer the common sight in the morning was able bodied young women with toddlers playing on the sidewalk. Still in soggy diapers with a bottle in one hand and cookie in the other. Mom with a can of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

The woman I did day care for was the first in her development to be forced off welfare. All were capable of more than the can of beer in the morning.

Kind of funny to listen to K, after she began work and was slowly taken off the welfare rolls. She would get livid racing out to go to work in the morning while former friends

were having their morning beer.

A really strange thing happened after a year,really hard work on her part and several raises. She could no longer associate with those living there.

She moved as quickly as she could as they depressed her and dragged her down.

Anyway, in most places, government assistance is a temporary thing, so it's kind of a moot point. They have an opportunity to better themselves, and if they don't, then it's their problem when the assistance ends.

When I was working there were several single moms working fulltime there.

Even tho they were employed they all received WIC for their babies. Some received daycare funding.

One was living with the babies father,he did not work.

As explained he was in this transitional phase, and had not found just the right job. She received many benefits, she did not need,but it was available so why not.

Three houses down we have a 22 year old with a 4 year old child. Claims not to know the father so she is on full welfare benefits.

No handicaps and no work.

She will not be required to work now as that restriction was lifted thanks to the governor taking the bailout and Obama that made this one of the conditions

• Moderators

You still have not answered my question. Let's try it this way.

I have my own online business . Generally I begin work 5-5:30 AM

Between that and keeping house and doing errands I usually don't finish up till around 10:00 pm six days a week and sabbath after sundown.

Many people do this. Tell me why I should do that and give a portion to legal immigrants that refuse to help themselves or a ever increasing population of single mothers that continue to bring children into the world. {several more paras on the topic}

You shouldn't have to. There should be better programs to ensure that any able-bodied person who can work is working.

Once again, it's about balance. Your rants about the few slackers are disproportionate to the size of the problem.

And you assume my opposition to that means I think people should be allowed to bludge. It doesn't. Anyone who can work, should work.

I simply recognise that there are more hardworking immigrants, by far, than there are lazy ones. In terms of all that hard work you do: good on you. There are plenty of studies, though, that show that the net effect of immigration is to make Americans richer, not poorer.

Oh, and it was Planey who quoted the words on the Statue, not me.

Truth is important

Quote:

You shouldn't have to. There should be better programs to ensure that any able-bodied person who can work is working.

Once again, it's about balance. Your rants about the few slackers are disproportionate to the size of the problem.

And you assume my opposition to that means I think people should be allowed to bludge. It doesn't. Anyone who can work, should work.

I simply recognise that there are more hardworking immigrants, by far, than there are lazy ones. In terms of all that hard work you do: good on you. There are plenty of studies, though, that show that the net effect of immigration is to make Americans richer, not poorer.

Oh, and it was Planey who quoted the words on the Statue, not me.

Obviously you cannot or won't believe that it is more than a few there really isn't much to talk about.

You can site all the studies you like. I live here. MN has many that come to this state because we are a liberal state and welfare is quite generous. We also for some reason have a great number of large groups of immigrants,especially somali.

The numbers that don't assimilate are quite high. Regardless of what you think of it being a few. They are not required to.

Welfare recipients are no longer required to work. You may wish to believe that the thousands in this state on welfare are somehow physically or mentally incapable. It is the reverse,very few are compared to the numbers on welfare.

The effect of immigration is the same wherever you have immigrants that are looking to better themselves by coming here. Terrific people. Who by the way are quite antagonistic

about their country men that suck off the system.

If you ever want to hear a blistering opinion about illegal/legal mexicans that milk the system,ask them.

This doesn't even make sense......There should be better programs to ensure that any able-bodied person who can work is working.

Why do we need a program?

There are programs/classes to aid the new immigrant.All needs are taken care of when they arrive. It is continuing if they have the motivation to take advantage.

When they don't,those like myself get to subsidize that behavior.their

After a certain time of not taking advantage of what there is,tough. Now you have 30 days and you are off the dole.

Women that keep having babies on a regular basis,lose the babies or shape up

• Moderators

By programs, I meant what you meant: if they don't work, and can, the welfare stops.

Truth is important